PDA

View Full Version : Female main character, eh?

Roto13
11-03-2006, 11:42 PM
With Tidus, then Vaan, of course the next step would be to give the main character an actual vagina.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-03-2006, 11:44 PM
Aren't you upset at the lack of luscious boy-candy?

Moon Rabbits
11-04-2006, 12:43 AM
Aren't you upset at the lack of luscious boy-candy?

Balthier + Vossler = enough sexing for me.

Zeromus_X
11-04-2006, 12:46 AM
Yeah, what was everyone going on about? Unless this is another Tina thing, which it doesn't look like so far. :confused: The story seems to focus on Vaan.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-04-2006, 01:17 AM
Wrong forum, Zex.

Zeromus_X
11-04-2006, 02:19 AM
Oh god. ><; Thank you Kishi. :cat:

Moon Rabbits
11-04-2006, 07:30 PM
Oh god. ><; Thank you Kishi. :cat:

Damn, I did the same thing :(

On topic: wasn't it stated that the girl in the trailers was NOT the main character?

Zeromus_X
11-04-2006, 07:33 PM
I've heard that Lightning isn't the main character, but that the main character will be female.

No, I don't remember what particular thread that was in.

Dragon Mage
11-04-2006, 07:58 PM
It's about time they moved on and made a female main character. We need a women that can kick some serious ass. And doesn't have all the sterotypes that are attributed to women. (honestly, when all the female characters are like that throughout 10-12(?) games, it gets pretty old.)

Zeromus_X
11-04-2006, 10:03 PM
I still stick behind my firm belief in Tina, but meh...

I hope that the main character won't be weak or clingy either.

Keyblade Hybrid
11-05-2006, 06:02 AM
Clingy? Nah she seems to have enough guts to be a chick, look at Yuna, you wouldn't see her doing what "Lightning" is doing...

Dragon Mage
11-07-2006, 10:52 PM
Yuna

That...thing is a disgrace to the whole gender. It should never have been constructed.

Die. vile creature, DIE!!!

Ashley Schovitz
11-07-2006, 11:04 PM
Lightning can only do what she can do because she has anti-gravity defying boots that lets her stay upside down in the air.

Shlup
11-08-2006, 05:15 AM
But I like the little bishi boys with their lady faces. ;_;

Nasarian Altimeros
11-08-2006, 05:23 AM
I can accept FFXIII having a female main character, as long as they don't show her voting in any federal elections and include at least one scene of her cooking for all the other male characters.

Elfen
11-08-2006, 05:40 AM
I don't like long haired girl with swords/guns.
If its short haired, I could at least agree.

RiseToFall
11-08-2006, 06:12 AM
I don't like long haired girl with swords/guns.
If its short haired, I could at least agree.

If it was short hair then she would just look like all the FF guys.

No.78
11-09-2006, 10:55 AM
Girls kicking ass rocks.

six underground
11-09-2006, 02:16 PM
i think it's great :) they could give her a katana like in Kill Bill. or she could be a fallen star out to save the world ;)

Roto13
11-09-2006, 06:20 PM
They should give her cheerleading pompoms and tassles on her nipples.

Dragon Mage
11-10-2006, 09:18 PM
I can accept FFXIII having a female main character, as long as they don't show her voting in any federal elections and include at least one scene of her cooking for all the other male characters.

Is that supposed to be some kind of a joke?

Roto13
11-11-2006, 12:13 AM

No, he was being serious. You should have an angry fit now.

TidusMaster
11-11-2006, 03:57 AM
i dont mind the female main Character,and yes Dragon Mage, i think he was kidding.

Nanteos
11-11-2006, 04:17 AM
I'm gonna have to go ahead an agree with above post. I think the main female character should wear tassles on her nipples. She should also be pregnant throughout the entire game, and her weapon will be a rolling pin. Aaaand, she should sound like Roseanne Barr.
"Daaaaaaaan"

Nasarian Altimeros
11-11-2006, 05:43 AM

What? It worked for Xenosaga.

Violet_Snowflake
11-11-2006, 01:37 PM
I'm fairly certain that it was revealed that she won't be playable. So if the pink haired chick with the gun is the main character it'd be kinda pointless if she wasn't playable.

I think the main character is female, but I don't think it's whats'erface and then for FF Versus XIII the main character is a guy.

Nasarian Altimeros
11-11-2006, 01:50 PM
I'm fairly certain that it was revealed that she won't be playable. So if the pink haired chick with the gun is the main character it'd be kinda pointless if she wasn't playable.
Um, what? We already know she's playable; the trailer for FFXIII had in-battle screenshots with her in it =\

TidusMaster
11-11-2006, 04:24 PM
lol,ya......who knows? maybe the guy is the main character in the FF13 one too

Dragon Mage
11-12-2006, 11:42 PM
No, he was being serious. You should have an angry fit now.

Amusing.

What? It worked for Xenosaga.

I'll give you one last chance. Are you joking, or not? In case you haven't noticed, I tend to take sexist issues very seriously. So I would not know if something that was said would be a joke or not, and attack you for something that was said in jest. I do not want to slaughter an innocent.

Nasarian Altimeros
11-12-2006, 11:52 PM
I’m sure ‘Lightning’ is infinitely pissed I discriminated against her.

RiseToFall
11-12-2006, 11:54 PM
My digital feelings are hurt by all of your comments.

Roto13
11-13-2006, 12:26 AM
My ovaries ache with sadness. :(

Cruise Control
11-13-2006, 12:39 AM
I'm gonna have to go ahead an agree with above post. I think the main female character should wear tassles on her nipples. She should also be pregnant throughout the entire game, and her weapon will be a rolling pin. Aaaand, she should sound like Roseanne Barr.
"Daaaaaaaan"
I'm getting a hard-on just thinking about it.

Timerk
11-13-2006, 12:40 AM
When Grand Theft Auto San Andreas came out, everyone made a big deal when they found out the main character was going to be black. Then, when the game actually got released, nobody cared anymore, they just wanted to know how to do the missions. It will be the same with FFXIII, I think society is advanced enough to embrace a strong female lead without too much upset.

I hope so anyway.

goldraine
11-13-2006, 12:42 AM
We need a female main. Enough spoken.

Dragon Mage needs to lighten up. If I had 1 penny for every time I've seen someone complain about a comment like that, I'd have one penny. And I just got one.

Cruise Control
11-13-2006, 01:49 AM
This is a summary of the games (so far revealed) plot.
http://www.freewebs.com/chesedpage/LIGHTNING.JPG

Dragon Mage
11-14-2006, 01:33 AM
Dragon Mage needs to lighten up. If I had 1 penny for every time I've seen someone complain about a comment like that, I'd have one penny. And I just got one.

I WILL NOT let someone make a sexist remark and get away with it unscathed. They insult women, they insult me. So excuse me if I actually stand up for myself.

Nasarian Altimeros
11-14-2006, 01:57 AM
lol, feminism.

Dragon Mage
11-14-2006, 02:08 AM
Most acute observation Watson. Bravo.

atlanteay
11-14-2006, 02:18 AM
female main lead... who cares? get over it, i bet you guys are still gonna go down and get a copy of FF13 no matter whether the lead is a girl or not.

Roto13
11-14-2006, 02:47 AM
Not without tassles I'm not. She can borrow mine.

Miriel
11-14-2006, 07:45 AM
I was talking about this with a certain someone a few days ago, and seriously, I've hated a lot of female Final Fantasy characters. I mean like. They made me cringe. I don't really know why that is. I don't get so easily annoyed with male characters as I do with female ones.

Anyway, I'm really wary of a female lead.

Wolf Kanno
11-14-2006, 08:07 AM
All this fighting over a female lead? My only comments...

For those against: Get over it! It's going to happen eventually in the series so be prepared and stop whining...

To those who are for it: Don't get your hopes up. Don't be playing this game in hopes that "Lightning" or whoever is the actual lead is going to be this definitive archtype of feminine empowerment. She'll probably end up breaking down and crying several times or whine about some worthless guy that the the developers go out of their way to make him a bigger bad ass than her. So don't get your hopes up.

RiseToFall
11-14-2006, 08:23 AM
To those who are for it: Don't get your hopes up. Don't be playing this game in hopes that "Lightning" or whoever is the actual lead is going to be this definitive archtype of feminine empowerment. He'll probably end up breaking down and crying several times or whine about some worthless girl that the the developers go out of their way to make her a bigger bad ass than him.

You just defined what it takes to be a FF male as well.

Wolf Kanno
11-14-2006, 08:47 AM
To those who are for it: Don't get your hopes up. Don't be playing this game in hopes that "Lightning" or whoever is the actual lead is going to be this definitive archtype of feminine empowerment. He'll probably end up breaking down and crying several times or whine about some worthless girl that the the developers go out of their way to make her a bigger bad ass than him.

You just defined what it takes to be a FF male as well.

That formula has helped Tetsuya Nomura and Yoshinare(sp?) Kitase make "successful" FF's for years :D

RiseToFall
11-14-2006, 08:54 AM
That formula has helped Tetsuya Nomura and Yoshinare(sp?) Kitase make "successful" FF's for years :D

Indeed it did.

Cruise Control
11-14-2006, 11:04 PM
Hey, dragon mage?

Wanna hear a joke?
Women's Rights.

I do not think this is appropriate. Before it may have been light-hearted sarcasm, but now you're purposely trolling. Do not do this again. ~ Zeromus

Dragon Mage
11-15-2006, 02:07 AM
Wow, that was brilliant, a 'joke' insult. Like I haven't heard any of those before. Please, if you're going to insult me, at least try to it right and come up with something intelligant. And that's a joke itself.

That formula has helped Tetsuya Nomura and Yoshinare(sp?) Kitase make "successful" FF's for years

A cliche never dies soon enough. Just like politicians. The only thing different now is that you get to see angsting from a different point of view. Whoopee

Ashley Schovitz
11-15-2006, 02:41 AM
When Grand Theft Auto San Andreas came out, everyone made a big deal when they found out the main character was going to be black. Then, when the game actually got released, nobody cared anymore, they just wanted to know how to do the missions. It will be the same with FFXIII, I think society is advanced enough to embrace a strong female lead without too much upset.

I hope so anyway.

Howcome there was a fuss with the main character in San Andreas? White fols were mad because the game industry lacks black characters so when GtA makes a game with one, they're all upset and racist?!
I'm glad they did they're not that many original black game characters anyway, most of them are just stuck in sports game and those don't really count. Dammit I'm making an RPG with black main characters hah that'll upset everyone!

As for FFxIII yay for a lead female character.

Roto13
11-15-2006, 05:05 PM
The first black character I can remember in FF is Barret, and look at him. And his corn rows. And his gun.

RiseToFall
11-15-2006, 05:47 PM
Yeah, Barret's not stereotypical at all.

Reles
11-15-2006, 06:49 PM
But I like the little bishi boys with their lady faces. ;_;

Me too, except when the main character looks like Meg Ryan, then it gets disturbing. *cough*TIDUS*cough*

SoupForInsanity
11-15-2006, 07:09 PM
Barrett reminds me of Mr. T :tongue: But, I like Mr. T so that's okay.

Anyways- to Dragon Mage, while I agree fullheartedly about women's rights etc. it's probably not best to be jumping down everyone's throats about it... especially since most of the people who cracked the jokes were just doing simply that- joking. I find a lot of feminists tend to say lots of racist comments about men too so it always equals out in the end.

A female lead character would be so nifty! I'm sure Square could pull it off, as long as she's got a more winning personality than a half-dressed gunner girl who jumps around all the time. (note: I like FFX-2, I really do. But for a main FF title instead of a sequel, It'd be nice to see her a little more serious, clothed, and kick-ass- like Yuna -used- to be [without the kick-ass.])

chrisfffan
11-15-2006, 08:07 PM
come on you know how final fantasies work theirs a guy who rescues and usually fall in love with a beautiful girl and saves the world it has worked so far why shouldn’t it continue?

Roto13
11-15-2006, 10:27 PM
It's not happening in XII so far.

Nasarian Altimeros
11-15-2006, 10:28 PM
Maybe a chick will fall in love with another chick this time?

Oh man that would be hot.

Roto13
11-16-2006, 12:15 AM
Maybe a chick will fall in love with another chick this time?

Oh man that would be hot.

Srsly. I'd forgive her for not wearing a burka for that.

Cruise Control
11-16-2006, 04:11 AM
Wow, that was brilliant, a 'joke' insult. Like I haven't heard any of those before. Please, if you're going to insult me, at least try to it right and come up with something intelligant. And that's a joke itself. Actually the point was, you need to lighten up. No one here has attacked women, or feminism. As a female right's supprter, I would instantly be at your side if they had. But they haven't, so no need to be so defensive.

I do not think this is appropriate. Before it may have been light-hearted sarcasm, but now you're purposely trolling. Do not do this again. ~ ZeromusYes sir. But apparently you missed the point too.

Dragon Mage
11-16-2006, 11:39 PM
Anyways- to Dragon Mage, while I agree fullheartedly about women's rights etc. it's probably not best to be jumping down everyone's throats about it... especially since most of the people who cracked the jokes were just doing simply that- joking. I find a lot of feminists tend to say lots of racist comments about men too so it always equals out in the end.

Well, I'm truly sorry, but the thing is, it's hard to tell when someone is joking or not when all you see are words on a screen. Facial expression, tone of voice, and body language have much to do with sarcasm and joking, none of which are conveyed via computer on a forum. I realize that someone could be joking and so I asked if it was a joke or not. Instead of receiving an answear, I got more ?saracam? or truth? I was rather confused.
And I haven't said any sexist (not racist) comments about men. I want to make sure that when I fight someone it's a real fight, when both sides mean what they say. If not, and I just randomly attack someone for something that was said in jest, and find out the truth of the situation later....I just didn't want to make an ass out of myself it all.

Actually the point was, you need to lighten up. No one here has attacked women, or feminism. As a female right's supprter, I would instantly be at your side if they had. But they haven't, so no need to be so defensive.

Actually, Nasarian Altimeros' first statement could have been interpreted as a sexist remark, however I was not sure, and so I asked if he was serious or not. I NEVER ATTACKED ANYONE!!!!! If you think that I've been attacking people, you haven't seen anything yet. However, I know that that won't be neccessary here. And I never saw your joke; Zeromus cut it out before I even saw it, sooo.....

Roto13
11-17-2006, 12:06 AM
The joke is still there.

It's kind of obvious that Altimeros was joking. I mean, nobody's that sexist any more.

Dragon Mage
11-17-2006, 12:34 AM
Ah, I see. I thought the 'joke' had been cut. Never mind then!

It's kind of obvious that Altimeros was joking. I mean, nobody's that sexist any more.

You have no idea. It's stronger now then ever.

Roto13
11-17-2006, 12:50 AM
Oh? Is that why you're in high school instead of at home in the kitchen? Is that why you haven't been sold for goats? Sexism is stronger now than ever, is it? You're paranoid, dear.

Dragon Mage
11-17-2006, 01:22 AM
No, I'm not paranoid and No I wasn't talking about the government. I meant society, that twisted game of mankind's delusions. Legally, I'm still less than a man, so government is included as well, though to a much lesser extent than any other country. But in society, the discrimination is overwhelming. Especially in school.

Ashley Schovitz
11-17-2006, 02:10 AM
No, I'm not paranoid and No I wasn't talking about the government. I meant society, that twisted game of mankind's delusions. Legally, I'm still less than a man, so government is included as well, though to a much lesser extent than any other country. But in society, the discrimination is overwhelming. Especially in school.

really I could swear back when I was in high school that they said the girls made the highest scores, or that might be just reverse sexism right there.

Roto13
11-17-2006, 02:17 AM

really I could swear back when I was in high school that they said the girls made the highest scores, or that might be just reverse sexism right there.

The valedictorian my senior year was female. So was the student counsel president when I was in Grades 9, 11, and 12. The student counsel president in my college is also female.

Dragon Mage
11-18-2006, 04:32 AM
I'm not talking about in that way. I mean the way the boys treat the girls in school-something to be screwed and nothing more. They view women as: weak creatures that can't do anything, are stupid, should be submissive, do what they're man wants, are easy to intimidate and throw around for an ego boost, nothing would be lost if they were killed-there's plenty to go around, and they're good only for a one night stand.
That's how they see women, and it doesn't help that the government is saying that they're not wrong either. Like I said, it's society that's sexist, but the government doesn't need to back them up. It's that kind of attitude that really pisses me off, as no doubt you can understand. You have no idea how many times I've heard the words 'yeah, man, we're the superior sex, and they're all our whores.'

Disgusting

Roto13
11-18-2006, 05:47 AM
Well, you obviously live in the 1700s and there's nothing anybody can do about that.

SoupForInsanity
11-18-2006, 06:51 AM
I can't count the number of times I've seen girls do just the same to guys- use them to buy them things, play with them, etc. and then break their hearts. It works both ways. What bothers me is that your statements claim that -every- male is like that, which is a sexist comment in itself. The people you described are a small percentage of the population- the others at your school may simply not be mature enough to understand love, so until they grow up they may think that way.
I can't seem to grasp how you expect society to do something about an issue that really is open for interpretation? So some immature kids play each other- there's not much the government can do to intervene... they can't do anything really... because it's not that big of a problem. Honestly, I'm not trying to put down women's rights- I'm actually related to Susan B. Anthony and proud of it, but please think through your arguments, and how logical they are before you rant them to the world.
...and go look at some real-world men and realize that they're not as bad as you may think they are, and don't hold the views you may think they do.

Miriel
11-18-2006, 06:57 AM
Ok, yeah. If y'all want to get into a whole debate about sexism, take it somewhere else.

Or at the very least try and link back to the game in your posts instead of completely rambling off tangent.

SoupForInsanity
11-18-2006, 07:36 AM
yeah okay, I agree. Sorry I continued on the senseless argument... you're right- I shouldn't have been feuling the fire.:choc2:

I can't wait to hear more about this game though! Whether it's a male or female lead you can bet I'll be playing it either way! I never really felt that it mattered because, again, there were always other characters to balance it out. As long as the story is good and the characters have a deep personality, I'll take it :)

Roto13
11-18-2006, 03:43 PM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?p=1986635#post1986635

Continue. :P

DK
11-18-2006, 10:36 PM
Final Fantasy should only have a female lead if the last boss is a dust-ghost that needs to be vacuumed up or some food that needs to be cut up to make the male characters sandwiches.

Other than that, the only good reason for the female characters to be there is their breasts. :bigsmile:

Dragon Mage
11-19-2006, 06:38 AM
I can't count the number of times I've seen girls do just the same to guys- use them to buy them things, play with them, etc. and then break their hearts. It works both ways. What bothers me is that your statements claim that -every- male is like that, which is a sexist comment in itself. The people you described are a small percentage of the population- the others at your school may simply not be mature enough to understand love, so until they grow up they may think that way.
I can't seem to grasp how you expect society to do something about an issue that really is open for interpretation? So some immature kids play each other- there's not much the government can do to intervene... they can't do anything really... because it's not that big of a problem. Honestly, I'm not trying to put down women's rights- I'm actually related to Susan B. Anthony and proud of it, but please think through your arguments, and how logical they are before you rant them to the world.
...and go look at some real-world men and realize that they're not as bad as you may think they are, and don't hold the views you may think they do.

Oh, I never said that all men are like that-just a large number of them, from what I know. There are those that aren't like that, of course-but those you never see nor hear of, sadly. I know. I've seen them, I've talked to them, some of them are my friends, but there doesn't seem to be enough of them in my school.
As for your relation to Susan B. Anthony: you come from a holy bloodline.

Anyways, to the point, it's great that there's a strong female character in a country that expects it's women to be submissive. It's a good change of pace and will be more interesting then the sterotype of previous female characters in the game. Now you know how women are seen; now you'll know the difference. This game, in my opinion, is either going to rock or going to suck. I pray it will be the former.

Final Fantasy should only have a female lead if the last boss is a dust-ghost that needs to be vacuumed up or some food that needs to be cut up to make the male characters sandwiches.

Other than that, the only good reason for the female characters to be there is their breasts.

Stop. You're purposely trying to piss me off and you're just trolling. You don't want to go there. The others on this thread will tell you. Talk my warning and you may leave unscathed.

NGU
11-19-2006, 07:07 AM
Look yuna was a chick infact the whole ff x-2 character play base were chicks.

Dragon Mage
11-19-2006, 08:29 AM
X-2 was an ungodly failure. it 'left people outside SE with shotguns demanding their money and 30 hours of their lives back.' X-2 is like wikipedia--you never quote it. Ever. And the characters were horrible. I mean come on--a pop singer? What the hell can she do? It's like the bard class in D&D but so much worse and much more useless. And that's saying a lot considering we're talking about bards.

Thus, the fact that the female characters in FF13 are strong and can kick ass, and won't follow the steryotypical actions of the previous FF female leads.

Wolf Kanno
11-19-2006, 09:13 AM
If you really want a strong female lead, look no further than Lady Ashe from FFXII. Swords, bravado, takes /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif from no one and willing to screw over world peace in order to get revenge. What's not to love. And don't give me this nonsense about Vaan being the main character. The game tries but you can easily tell the developers didn't have their heart in it. Lady Ashe is the REAL main character of FFXII (with Balthier as the leading man;) )

Now to seriously get back into this discussion, if you want a real female lead, I feel she would have to come off as Major Kusanagi from Ghost In the Shell (The TV series specifically) in order to create a really strong female lead. Smart, sexy, and a better fighter than any other character.

Also, a small request, let's not mention X-2 in this topic again. I still get nightmares about playing it...

Nasarian Altimeros
11-19-2006, 09:44 AM
I like the way everyone is assuming that “Lightning” is going to be an awesome character, based on a minute of her beating the crap out of stuff. It doesn’t take much to please you people, obviously.

DK
11-19-2006, 11:31 AM
Stop. You're purposely trying to piss me off and you're just trolling. You don't want to go there. The others on this thread will tell you. Talk my warning and you may leave unscathed.

roflstiltzkin, and you wonder why people bait you. internet pplz are so cute :heart:

Anyway, I don't want to see a male OR female lead character in FFXIV. It should be a Quina. That would be the most valid development in a long time :}

No.78
11-19-2006, 12:51 PM
YAY for genderless main character! It can be called Bixxie and be distantly related to Kirby.

Roto13
11-19-2006, 04:21 PM

Other than that, the only good reason for the female characters to be there is their breasts.

http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?p=1986635#post1986635

Continue. :P

(P.S.: You're more amusing than scary)

Dragon Mage
11-21-2006, 11:36 PM
roflstiltzkin, and you wonder why people bait you. internet pplz are so cute

So you admit to trolling?

(P.S.: You're more amusing than scary)

Oh, please, I hadn't even started arguing yet. Don't judge what you haven't seen, thank you.

Roto13
11-22-2006, 06:17 PM
Get back in the kitchen and make me some PAH, woman! >:O

Miriel
11-23-2006, 01:44 AM
Oh heck no.

Thanks for completely disregarding my warning you... toads. :mad2:

Anyway, I'm sure another thread just like this one will pop up again eventually and y'all will go on about sexism and bait each other and all that good stuff, but for now, this one DIES. *kills*