PDA

View Full Version : Remember the 3D remake of Chrono Trigger?

Roto13
11-04-2006, 12:02 AM
http://www.cavesofnarshe.com/forums/ipb/index.php?showtopic=8079&st=0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY3SX-mrcoA

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/4373/render13ss.jpg

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-04-2006, 12:15 AM
Have they already started taking bets on how long until Square issues a cease-and-desist order?

Zeromus_X
11-04-2006, 12:17 AM
Oh man, I haven't seen Nyxo reply to that in awhile.

Psychotic
11-04-2006, 12:35 AM
Isn't that video just the title screen from the PS version of FFVI, possibly with different music?

Mind you, that Terra looks good.

Zeromus_X
11-04-2006, 12:39 AM
The Anthology version had no graphical improvements over the original.

Psychotic
11-04-2006, 12:45 AM
I can't see any graphical improvements in the video.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-04-2006, 01:07 AM
I know England is supposed to have awful weather, but I've never heard of it actually causing citizens to go snowblind.

Psychotic
11-04-2006, 01:13 AM
:D

The original storm looks better anyway.

Levian
11-04-2006, 11:41 AM
During my time on the internet I've pretty much learned to not get my hopes up when it comes to fan projects. Projects like these rarely get finished. He does seem devoted, but he's taking some long breaks, and that's how the end of projects start. :p Even if he should finish it, Squeenix will probably pull the plug on it. But I must say I'm impressed with his work. :up:

Someone got a link to info on this Crono Trigger remake? Squeenix killed that one, didn't they?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-04-2006, 11:51 AM
http://www.opcoder.com/projects/chrono

Christmas
11-04-2006, 12:45 PM
The whole thing looks pretty promising. :bigsmile:

LoKuS
11-04-2006, 07:26 PM
We can only wish.

feioncastor
11-04-2006, 09:23 PM
Even though this person isn't releasing this on a commercial level, I'd pay for it. Hell, I'd even buy a PSP.

spartancode117
11-05-2006, 03:31 AM
i really wish that they could have finished chrono ressurection. Chrono Trigger is one of my all-time favorite games.

Dreddz
11-05-2006, 07:04 PM
i see this getting no where...

Flying Mullet
11-06-2006, 12:56 PM
Even though this person isn't releasing this on a commercial level, I'd pay for it. Hell, I'd even buy a PSP.
And that's why they always get "Cease and Desist" orders.

feioncastor
11-06-2006, 10:24 PM
And that's why they always get "Cease and Desist" orders.

I guess so. But if I worked for Square, I'd buy the idea off the person developing it, and then pick up where they left off. To have a game partially done for you is nice because they could pay the guy way less than it would've costed them to do that portion of the game themselves.

Flying Mullet
11-06-2006, 10:35 PM
The work that took the Chrono Resurrection years to complete would take Squeenix a month or two at most to recreate with their advanced game development software and staff.

Plus, if Squeenix paid them for the bit they did it encourages others to persue copyright infringement in hopes that they will have their project bought out as well.

Captain Maxx Power
11-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Today's Sesame Street is brought to you by the letter S, the letter U and the letter E.

spartancode117
11-07-2006, 05:34 PM
lol

Zeromus
11-07-2006, 11:55 PM
I dont believe in this...
And wow... that Terra sucks xD... how ugly...!

Anyway... I hope if someday there is a 3d version of ff6, this one have to be great... and i think this have to be on a home console, and not a portable one... you'd enjoy it better that way...

Rase
11-08-2006, 12:07 AM
I dont believe in this...
And wow... that Terra sucks xD... how ugly...!

These are some preliminary shots from in my modelling program of thy HQ version of Terra. This is the model (plus or minus) that I'll be using for cinematics (if I do any), and for the normal map that'll be used in game.

Please note that this is not shot from within my game engine yet, as there's still a LOT of work to get it in there, but at least now it's mostly built!

Some issues you may see, that I am aware of, and why they exist:

1) There's no textures!
A) That's right. Just colors that approximate the textures.

2) You can't see her eyes very well with all that hair in the way!
A) Once textures are applied, her hair will have a LOT of transparency, so her eyes will be WAY more visible.

3) There's kinks at the joints!
A) Correct- that's what you get for quickie-I-wanna-get-it-out vertex weighting. The kinking is the most noticable in her hair. This will be fixed, but for the time being, I just wanted it to work, perfect or not.

4) Her shoulderpads are too big!
A) Yes, I realized this as I started posing her for the shot. Rest assured that they will be revamped A LOT before she is finalized.

6, version2) Her eyebrows/eyelashes are solid!
A) Yah, again, with no textures, there's no transparency, and thus, the eyebrows/eyelashes look kinda bulky.. ;p

Anyway, I think it's a pretty good basic model. Unfortunately, as has been stated, I can't see this coming to completion.

Fire_Emblem776
11-08-2006, 02:02 AM
Ahh memories. I actually have a 3 clips of FF VI from the nintendo 64. It used the SNES music, and had an interisting battle system. Also, this was the birth of long, long summons XD.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-08-2006, 02:07 AM
It wasn't intended to specifically represent the N64, really.

feioncastor
11-08-2006, 02:12 AM
Ahh memories. I actually have a 3 clips of FF VI from the nintendo 64. It used the SNES music, and had an interisting battle system. Also, this was the birth of long, long summons XD.

I thought the N64 screenshots were taken from a demo that was only a single fight, just to demonstrate something that Square had in mind.

Rase
11-08-2006, 02:49 AM

I thought the N64 screenshots were taken from a demo that was only a single fight, just to demonstrate something that Square had in mind.
All that he mentioned was in that single fight, though I'm not sure what he meant by an "interesting battle system".

Clip 1. (http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=18633)
Clip 2. (http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=18639)
Clip 3. (http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=18640)

Avarice-ness
11-09-2006, 12:41 AM
Oh dear.

Terra went claymation-ish. :(

Nasarian Altimeros
11-09-2006, 02:02 AM
Read the posts. That is only a preliminary model which hasn't had texturing applied to it yet.

Avarice-ness
11-09-2006, 02:47 AM
Read the posts. That is only a preliminary model which hasn't had texturing applied to it yet.
Don't tell me what to do. :(
Even as a model, it's still going to have a large head, big eyes and a small body, which happen to be a signature of claymation. Model's 99% of the time don't change form, in which if it is a model, all you would get would be the shine to the hair, maybe some obvious standing, flower pattern to the close and shading and lighting to the face.. that... really large face. :razz:

Nasarian Altimeros
11-09-2006, 04:26 AM
Even as a model, it's still going to have a large head, big eyes and a small body, which happen to be a signature of claymation.
Or, you know, anime: being the style that the vast majority of FF games have been based off since FFVII. Adding texture and transparency will, at the very least, remove the 'clay' look the hair has at the moment. After that, I can't imagine anyone will be able to draw paralleled between the character model and 'clay-animation'.

feioncastor
11-09-2006, 04:57 AM
Those clips posted by Raze are excellent. I've never seen them. I've just seen a few images of Locke, Shadow and Terra, all 3-D'd out.

The third clip reminded me that the Atma Weapon battle music is actually sex, in auditory battle music form. I was previously aware of it, but I needed a reminder.

bipper
11-09-2006, 02:38 PM
Even as a model, it's still going to have a large head, big eyes and a small body, which happen to be a signature of claymation.
Or, you know, anime: being the style that the vast majority of FF games have been based off since FFVII. Adding texture and transparency will, at the very least, remove the 'clay' look the hair has at the moment. After that, I can't imagine anyone will be able to draw paralleled between the character model and 'clay-animation'.

It looks way more claymation [not Clay Aiken]. Zozoians don't lie! I think it is the over rounded form, and the lack of 2d bevels to create the 3d overlay look. THAT would be anime. The 3d model looks more clay aiken than anime - end o story, so says the goat humping goe.

Nasarian Altimeros
11-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Uh huh. So I'm just going to pretend that I didn't understand most of the words in that sentence and continue assuming that I'm right.

Fire_Emblem776
11-09-2006, 09:23 PM
Now if only someone could find the Legend of Zelda Clips from before OOT was even started -_-

Avarice-ness
11-09-2006, 10:27 PM

It looks way more claymation [not Clay Aiken]. Zozoians don't lie! I think it is the over rounded form, and the lack of 2d bevels to create the 3d overlay look. THAT would be anime. The 3d model looks more clay aiken than anime - end o story, so says the goat humping goe.
For that you get one free goat. :love:

Uh huh. So I'm just going to pretend that I didn't understand most of the words in that sentence and continue assuming that I'm right.
As for you, I wouldn't say anything unless I had some kind of knowledge of what anime is or what different styles anime had. I highly doubt if they remade it they would shoot the graphics high-up then go back a few years when making everything in anime style was cool. Now if they did it in Realistic Anime, like the street fighter series or Magna Carta or something around that, it may actually shed some hope because that could actually resemble some of amano's original art. Saddly that is not the case with Mega-SD terra over there. If they ever thought that that terra was a good out-sktch for the real game was a good idea I would cry many many rivers because that is basically something you can make in MAYA or various other programs..

WHICH GIVES ME THE IDEA THAT I SHOULD DO THAT! *beams of happiness and joy and sick then goes off to... plunder a certain 3D program*
:heart:

My name is...something..?
11-10-2006, 10:52 PM
Let's not invoke the rage of Avarice-ness, shall we?
I lost a testicle someone allowed that to happen last time.

Back on topic: I'd totally play this on the offchance that it got finished.
But looking at all the failures of the past, it's best not to get my hopes up.
:choc2: