PDA

View Full Version : Reviews Suck

RiseToFall
11-04-2006, 05:27 AM
Anybody ever just completely disagree with a review from a gaming mag/website? If you can, give some specifics. Which game was it? Was the entire review bull/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif in your eyes or just certain things the person reviewing the game said?

Jigsaw
11-04-2006, 05:28 AM
I don't ever trust the opinions of others. I got to see it for myself.

Sylvie
11-04-2006, 05:31 AM
I disagree with a lot of X-Play reviews. They are completely biased, Adam doesn't like anime RPG's/RPG's in general, so he gives them low scores because of that. The only reason I watch it is for the hilarity of it.

I also didn't agree with some IGN reviews. Monster Hunter, partly. Most of all the user reviews are crap too.

Zante
11-04-2006, 07:10 AM
When reading reviews, I often see the reviewer critising the things about the game that I would praise. Because of that I tend to ignore the score and just read what the game is like and form my oppinion based on that.

Cipher
11-04-2006, 08:23 AM
Pretty much, if the magazine gives a bad review, I'll go and rent it from Blockbuster's or something. Nine times out of Ten, I end up loving said game and buying it.

Same goes for movies. Poor Critic Reviews = Good Movie.

Edit: What's up with this pink background? Disregard.

Rostum
11-04-2006, 09:10 AM
Who are they to say what is good and bad, and what you should and shouldn't play?

I never listen to reviews.

Wolf Kanno
11-04-2006, 09:31 AM
I like X-Play for it's amusement but I generally never agree with them (except for Aquaman...) I generally don't care for Game Informer cause they are jaded in a very bad way... (Penny Arcade said my thoughts about it in the comic called "Arms Aren't Even that Cool". I also hate the wonderful reviews for Halo and GTA. I hate GTA and Halo. Halo is a mediocre shooter at best and GTA was only fun the first time and now the novelty has worn off...

Oh and PSM as well for not giving DMC3 a good score cause it's too hard (It's a Capcom game for crying out loud, it's supposed to be harder than sin...) and giving God of War a perfect score for pointless violence and a pointless (but begrudgenly funny) sex mini-game. Don't get me wrong, these games I've slammed are fun (except for Halo but I hate FPS games so ignore me:p ) but I don't think any of them deserve the kinda've admiration and honors that the gaming community gives them.

Xander
11-04-2006, 10:28 AM
Just when they barely play the game or bother to do any research about it and make assumptions, like one magazine did for Kingdom Hearts, based on the disney side of it I guess. They also said it was on the gamecube so they obviously didn't bother learning much at all about it. Good reviews give both sides anyway so you can still make up your own mind.

Dreddz
11-04-2006, 01:31 PM
Plenty of reviews I saw for KOF Neowave were full of crap, that game was awesome.

Markus. D
11-04-2006, 03:20 PM
I trust X-Play's oppinion :) sometimes >_>

but really, Gamespot, worst reviews ever given... I reckon they must only play the game for a second and then go "hey we have played enough"

Ragna53
11-10-2006, 08:01 PM
Recent Need for Speed games have crap reviews. I like the games; not the greatest, but deserve much better than what the reviews say.

Roto13
11-10-2006, 08:32 PM
Who are they to say what is good and bad, and what you should and shouldn't play?

They're reviewers, that's who. It's not like they're saying "Don't play this game or I'll choke you with my belt." They're providing what they think. Whether you want to use that as a basis of what to play and what not to play is up to you.

Frozen Phantom
11-10-2006, 09:31 PM
One thing people have to understand is that a review is an opinion. It is just the revier's ideas on the game. Something you love might be something they hate. Not everyone thinks the same, if they did this world would nothing but a pile of bull /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif. So the review might love a feature you hate, and vice versa. You can't critize reviewers because it is just an opinion based on game time. So instead of yelling that certain reviers are idiots because they review your games differently than you do, try to understand that reviewers are just like you. They just get paid to reivew and play games. (lucky bastards)

Gnostic Yevon
11-10-2006, 10:09 PM
I read gamefaq reviews, and actually the bad reviews are more helpful than the good ones.

I've read the reviews for Suikoden IV and decided to buy it. The negative reviews panned the war-battles (Suikoden has army battles) as being rediculously easy, which they were. They panned the costume design, which was also true. The guy does run like he wears a metal thong. Those things weren't deal breakers for me.

That's what's good about a "bad" review. You hear all the negatives up front and decide whether any of them are "dealbreakers". Wonky controls for a twitch-heavy platformer might be one of them. The "good" reviews aren't nearly so helpful. A lot of times, even in the "pro" reviews, the game gets good scores for being "Final Fantasy", "Metal Gear" or some other hyped series. If the game is hyped as groundbreaking, no one will dare to give a bad review. In some cases, it's fanboyism, and in others it the fear of not being cool because you dislike the "in thing".

So as I said, I trust the negative reviews on gamefaq to point out the flaws. If the flaws mentioned aren't dealbreakers, I'll probably buy it.

fantasyjunkie
11-10-2006, 10:18 PM
I don't trust online reviews but I have subscribed to Electronic Gaming Monthy for years and I have always gone by their reviews. They have yet to prove me wrong in trusting them.

Madame Adequate
11-10-2006, 11:21 PM
Reviews do have some influence on me - if a game is universally panned or loved, it'll have a bearing on whether I get it or not (Or seek out a demo). But if the reviews broadly fall in the middle ground, then I'll read them in detail to see what's what, and decide from there.

Sephex
11-10-2006, 11:41 PM
I pretty much stopped paying attention to reviews because most websites and publications seem to be intent on writing jokes (X-Play/the majority of video game reviews out there these days, I'm looking at you) around their review, be it a good review or a bad review. Plus, the journalism side of the video game industry has gotten a little to...hipster for me. I'm not saying that I am god when it comes to writin game reviews, but I didn't bull**** when it came to writing reviews. I just said what I felt needed to be said, and that's that.

KentaRawr!
11-12-2006, 06:06 PM
I disagree with a lot of X-Play reviews. They are completely biased, Adam doesn't like anime RPG's/RPG's in general, so he gives them low scores because of that. The only reason I watch it is for the hilarity of it.

What is there to disagree with in terms of X-Play? All they can do is focus on one thing and joke about it for the rest of the... ahem... "segment", slap a score on said game for unsaid reasons, and call that a review.

Anyway, I mostly disagree with reviews from Gamefaqs, even if games I like get high scores, and games I dislike get low scores. They seem to accentuate anything that's good or bad with a game most of the time.

Zeromus_X
11-12-2006, 06:49 PM
I find the people who want to find out how 'good' or 'bad' a game is by a review or someone else's opinion as opposed to actually trying the game out themselves even more annoying. :cat:

Timerk
11-12-2006, 06:51 PM
A lot of people say they don't pay attention to reviews, but whenever a game series they are a fan of (like FF) gets less than rave reviews, it is a huge disaster.

/shrug

There are some games like FFXII and KH2 that I would play no matter what the score, just to see for myself. If I am on the fence about a game, though, a bad review will prolly make me stay away from it.

Madame Adequate
11-12-2006, 07:09 PM
A lot of people say they don't pay attention to reviews, but whenever a game series they are a fan of (like FF) gets less than rave reviews, it is a huge disaster.

Owned. I like you. :jess:

Zeromus - You seem to presume that everyone has the ability to try everything before they buy it. Not every game is playable in a store, or releases a demo. And not every game is owned by a friend before you buy it (besides which following your logic means an un-demoed game will never be playable at a friend's because they won't have tried it before they got it either.)

Zeromus_X
11-12-2006, 07:26 PM
Then, rent it? Of course you don't have to shell out 50 dollars for a game you're undecided on, but my main point was that it's silly to just put your trust in someone else's opinion (which almost alwasy range from 'this game is the bestest game evar!' or 'this game sux!!!1'), or asking 'is this game good?' when the quality of a video game is subjective.

Madame Adequate
11-12-2006, 07:37 PM
Oh, well yeah, it's easy to bring up renting stuff NOW, how about BEFORE I completely forgot and made myself look silly? :p

ljkkjlcm9
11-12-2006, 08:04 PM
I will read a review on a website such as planetgamecube, because much of the review just says what the game actually does, how it's controlled and stuff like that. So rather than listen to the opinion part of the review, I read what the game has to offer. If I like what it has, I'll get it, if I don't, then I won't.

THE JACKEL

JaytodaP
11-12-2006, 08:08 PM
I disagreed with everyone's madden 06 review. You have madden 05 with........ GASP! quarterback's vision!!!! OH MY GOD HOW INNOVATIVE!! an 8.8 for that?

Roto13
11-12-2006, 08:35 PM
I can't be assed to play every single game I'm considering to buy.

Breine
11-12-2006, 09:14 PM
A review is only one person's opinion. Having said this I usually read reviews of films, CDs and games I think of seeing/buying. I don't let them be the deciding factor of whether or not I'll spend money on the certain item, but I guess it's just nice to have someone's opinion in the back of your mind when at least thinking of buying something.

zimdoomyday
11-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Everyone's review of KH II except IGN's. God that game was just...easy. I played on proud mode and the only challenge was those pirates (who incedently, even the guide wouldn't tell me, but you can use magic on. Where was the stupid fucking information bar then?)