PDA

View Full Version : I need a new book.

Mitch
11-05-2006, 09:08 PM
And it has to be awesome. It has to be about a quest or something with dragons and slaughtering and orcs and mountains and perhaps pirates and treasure. If there's a ginger dwarf with a pot belly and attitude then that's even better.

Has to be pretty epic. Any suggestions?

Cruise Control
11-05-2006, 09:09 PM
The Stand by Steven King. Try to get the uncut edition, its 1124 pages long.

XxSephirothxX
11-05-2006, 09:11 PM
If you haven't read them already: The Hobbit or A Game of Thrones? Or some of Stephen King's fantasy stuff, like The Talisman or the Dark Tower series. I haven't read a whole lot of fantasy, unfortunately.

Martyr
11-05-2006, 09:12 PM
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain.

------------

Er, assuming that you'll accept a book that only fulfills 3 of your qualifications (Epic and Awesome and Treasure)

Mitch
11-05-2006, 09:13 PM
I don't wanna read Stephen King as I just spent the last two years working through the Dark Tower series.

Yeah I'm a slow reader.

The Unknown Guru
11-06-2006, 12:59 AM
You've read Lord of the Rings, right?

Mitch
11-06-2006, 02:46 AM
Of course.

For others out there: The Princess Bride is one of the best books I have ever read. Though make sure you read the abbridged version. The full lenght is .... tedious.

Spammerman
11-06-2006, 02:48 AM
How about Eragon? Its a trilogy. Theres orcs, a lot of dragons i tink, a guy who finds a gem, dragon rider people, the works.

Zeromus_X
11-06-2006, 02:48 AM
At least try the Stand. :(

You should remember a familiar face if you read the Dark Tower series...:cat:

rubah
11-06-2006, 03:00 AM
The Once and Future King.

Also, believe anything Azzie tells you about a Game of Thrones etc. (but not lotr). I've only read that one, but it is huge and very excellent.

Anna Karenina is probably longer than both of the above (maybe not a game of thrones) but it also excellent, but it is more philosophical than epic or questy.

DarkLadyNyara
11-06-2006, 04:58 AM
The Obsidian trilogy by Mercedes Lackey might fit. The Outstretched Shadow, To light a Candle, and When Darkness Falls.

Resha
11-06-2006, 08:13 AM
Odd. I really didn't like Game of Thrones o_O

Anyways, Wheel of Time? Robert Jordan. Pretty damn excellent (although you might've read it already xD)

You could also try Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy; underrated but good stuff!

AND TERRY GOODKIND. Wizard's First Rule.

NeoCracker
11-06-2006, 08:29 AM
The Shannara books. Brilliant those books are.

Bunny
11-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Anyways, Wheel of Time? Robert Jordan. Pretty damn excellent (although you might've read it already xD)

Sooooo much detail. He left absolutely nothing to the imagination. Argggh!

My suggestion is Forgotten Realms. More specifically, anything to do with one Drizzt Do'Urden. Because I am a fanboy. Yessir.

BUT!

And it has to be awesome. It has to be about a quest or something with dragons and slaughtering and orcs and mountains and perhaps pirates and treasure. If there's a ginger dwarf with a pot belly and attitude then that's even better.

Awesome: Check!
Question: Check!
Dragons: Check!
Slaughter: Check!
Orcs: Check!
Mountains: Check!
Pirates: Check!
Treasure: Check!
Ginger Dwarf with a pot belly pig and attitude: Semi-check. I don't know what a ginger dwarf is. But I don't know a person alive would could resist the charms of Pwent and Bruenor.

Forgotten Realms are winners.

Mo-Nercy
11-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Three Kingdoms by Luo Guanzhong. Translated by Moss Roberts.

A bit different here. It's history and epic rolled into one. It tells a real rags-to-riches story of Liu Xuande who comes from nothing to try save the Han Empire. It's got all the elements of an epic drama but also manages to set it out in rather easy-to-read prose. This is probably due to the translation process. It's a real page turner and though it lacks orcs, it DOES have mountains (often inhabited by monks), magic spells, prayers, a helluva lot of fighting and pirates. As for dragons.. dude, the main character is a guy named Sleeping Dragon. xD

It's quite a read. And quite hard to find.

A better alternative is probably C.H. Brewitt-Taylor's translation which is a bit harder to read but also available for download online. It's a try-before-you-buy thing really. I prefer Roberts' myself but if you're in it for the story then I guess it might not matter how it's told. I can't track down the link ATM. I'll get back to you on this.

EDIT: Found it xD (http://www.kongming.net/novel/dl/rotk.zip)

Cruise Control
11-06-2006, 01:52 PM
The Hearts Blood trilogy.

And if I'm not mistaken, Eragon is not a trilogy.

Nasarian Altimeros
11-06-2006, 01:53 PM
The Alphabet of Manliness by Maddox. Yeah, I know it doesn’t fit the specifications in your original post. Read it anyway; it kicks ass.

K. H. Kid
11-06-2006, 02:26 PM
Did you read The Symphony of Ages books by Elizabeth Haydon yet? If not do so now, you'll love it.

StarlightAngel
11-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Yeah, Forgotten Realms should have what you're looking for. May I suggest the Dark Elf Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore?

starseeker
11-06-2006, 06:04 PM
If you want something really epic you should try the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.

Flying Mullet
11-06-2006, 06:39 PM
The Shannara books. Brilliant those books are.
Seconded.

http://www.terrybrooks.net/shannara.html

The Wheel of Time series is good too, but it can be a bit tedious to read at times.

Spammerman
11-06-2006, 08:32 PM
The Hearts Blood trilogy.

And if I'm not mistaken, Eragon is not a trilogy.

Its called the Inheritance trilogy. I use Eragon because people will recognize it more easily

McLovin'
11-06-2006, 08:54 PM
You could...read the whole like 10 page storyline for World of Warcraft...

It won't take very long but if you are desperate...:magus:

Bunny
11-06-2006, 09:46 PM
If you can find them, I highly suggest The Time Master Trilogy by Louise Cooper. It consists of The Initiate, The Outcast, and The Master. I say if you can find them because.. well, it took me forever to find all three for a reasonable price. They are books from the early-to-mid 80s and are out of print as far as I know. You could probably pick them up at a good used book store though.

In a nutshell, it is about the battle between good and evil. It is so much more than that.. but saying anything other than that would be to ruin the entire first book.

I've only talked to two other people that have heard of them. My brother, who I introduced the series to, and my mother's ex-boyfriend, who introduced the series to me.

Look for it.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-06-2006, 10:29 PM
-Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind if you like great characters

-The Eye if the World if you like myriad plotlines (it's part of the Wheel of Time series - this early in the series it's fairly linear, but by book 4 the plotlines branch out in all directions)

-And I third the suggestion of the Shannara series.

Mitch
11-06-2006, 10:45 PM
Hmmm.... looks like I have enough here to last me a while...

I'll definatley get around to reading Wheel of Time at some point in my life as it has been recommended to me countless times.

If I see any of the Forgotten Realms books around I'll probarbly buy one, but I might have to wait until I move back to Wellington next year.

And World of Warcraft is probarbly the reason why I don't read enough... so I'll probarbly read that summary then.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-06-2006, 11:01 PM
Out of the three suggestions I gave you I recommend Wizard's First Rule as the best of the three. And from what I've read of your posts, Mitch (aka Supergyration) I think it would suit your personality the best.

ValkyrieWing
11-07-2006, 06:35 AM
Symphony of ages, definately. And maybe The Krondor books by Raymond Feist.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
11-07-2006, 06:49 AM
If you want some light hearted fantasy, go with Dragons Pawn by Carol Dennis. The book is funny and has the whole fantasy feeling to it. Magic and dragons and evil guys. Everything a mortal could need.

Wolf Kanno
11-08-2006, 09:20 AM
The Death Gate Cycle by Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis. It's a bout a war between two races of demigods, the Sartan and the Patryn, that ends with one race being imprisoned (The Patryn) in a world called the Labyrinth and the original world is sundered into four different worlds based on the classic four elements. The Sartan mysteriously disappear shortly after and as time passes, the Patryn begin to escape the Labyrinth. The seven books revolve around the Patryn Haplo's journey through the four worlds. It's a lengthy series but one of the few that actually kept my interest.

I usually hate reading fiction, especially fantasy and sci-fi works but this one actually came off well written and was one of the few fantasy stories that didn't reek of a Tolkein or D&D influence. It still has elves, dwarves, humans, and dragons but they come off a little more original to some extent.

Mitch
11-08-2006, 10:12 AM
All these suggestions are great.

The challenge lies in remembering them, finding them, then buying them

I'm not too hot at doing any of these three things but I should pull through.

Odaisé Gaelach
11-08-2006, 10:34 AM
Also, believe anything Azzie tells you about a Game of Thrones etc. (but not lotr). I've only read that one, but it is huge and very excellent.

The only major problem with A Song of Ice and Fire is that it is so bloody massive! Other than that it's amazing. :tongue:

look_out_below
11-09-2006, 07:44 PM
I would recommend Dragon Champion by E.E. Knight, it has dragons, elves, humans, magic, epic quests, wars, etc.
Another series i would suggest is the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik. The first book in the series is His Majesty's Dragon. Its a bit different then most fantasy books involving dragons in that the story is supposed to be taking place during the Napolenic War, the series is about what this war would've been like if dragons had been involved.