PDA

View Full Version : How hard is this game?

Sefie1999AD
11-06-2006, 01:07 AM
I didn't see a thread about this on Page 1 (or 2). Anyway, how hard is Final Fantasy XII? I've heard it's a lot harder than the other recent FFs (i.e. VI to X-2), and learning to use the battle system and the gambits well already take you a long time. How's the difficulty compared to other Matsuno games, such as Final Fantasy Tactics or FF Tactics Advance? So far I think FFIV and FFV have been the hardest FFs for me, but I'm not sure if that will change when I play FFXII.

Cruise Control
11-06-2006, 01:18 AM
Theres some SERIOUS challenges for you. It's as hard as you make it for example Demon Wall. You can either run or fight. If you fight, its incredibly hard. If you run, you still have some mild challenge.

It's definitely difficult.

nik0tine
11-06-2006, 01:22 AM
So far it's proven to be the most difficult FF I have ever played.

Zeromus_X
11-06-2006, 01:33 AM
If you aren't used to the battle system and don't use Gambits properly/build your characters efficiently on the License Board, it can get tough as newer and more powerful enemies appear as you advance in the story. Some bosses can be very difficult (Demon Wall >_>), and in addition, the game pulls a FFII and sometimes places superpowerful monsters in places indicating that you aren't supposed to be there yet even though you may have wandered there accidently. Finally, acquiring Gil is rather tedious, as you may have to farm loot by chaining monster kills to sell loot in bulk, which is really the most effective way. I've also had to level up at some points, and of course buy new equipment. But overall it's much more difficult than the recent Final Fantasies.

I'd say it's probably on par with FFT so far, some battles are frustrating, but certainly nothing comparable to

Defeat Wiegraf!

or

Step on the Floodgate Switches!.

Ashley Schovitz
11-06-2006, 01:34 AM
How hard is this game?

Pretty F****** hard!

skillzboy4
11-06-2006, 02:13 AM
im now pretty deep in the game n the bosses are getting pretty damn hard in the beginning bosses were so easy with quickenings but now theyre nothing against these bosses...

Madame Adequate
11-06-2006, 02:16 AM
I'm loving this. I need to be aware of my location so I don't aggro stuff, keep an eye on like four different things at once, and even normal enemies can do enough damage to pose a risk.

Difficulty was precisely what FF needed to become even more amazingly awesome. A whole game full of bosses like Carry Armor and Demon's Gate from FFVII = teh wins, and so far this looks like it might be headed in that direction. :love:

Edit: Not so much Demon's Gate, that dude was one bad dude.

Zeromus_X
11-06-2006, 02:17 AM
I wouldn't say it's that difficult, but I understand what you're saying.

Rye
11-06-2006, 02:17 AM
Yes, it's a lot harder, and I'm also still somewhat underleveled. xD

Goldenboko
11-06-2006, 02:35 AM
Well its definitely harder then VI, VII, VIII, IX, and X. This game actually requires you to stop and level *GASP!*

El Bandito
11-06-2006, 05:22 AM
I'd say it's not so much hard as it requires way more strategy than previous FF's. I mean, you gotta plan around the License board a bit unless you just want to straight up overlevel. There were times I found myself right next to an awesome augmentation before a boss, but I had just spent all my LP on equipment.

Additionally, the programming of really efficient gambits and planning ahead on really tough battles really becomes key. I thought I could have just gotten by with everyone attacking everything in sight with an occasional potion, but once I got the hang of the gambit system, the game got quite a bit easier and deep.

To put it in an analogy, I'd say it's like having to indulge in a bit of coaching in a sport rather than just playing. That is, actually having to create game plans instead of just running them.

The Summoner of Leviathan
11-06-2006, 05:48 AM
I'd say that I have died way many more times than I have in any other Final Fantasy game. You really have to think, adjusting your gambits for every situation (though I find some of the options for gambits at the moment not quite accomadating to what I want to do). The battle system is not that hard to get used to. I think some of the complaints are from people who love the turn-based-system too much. To say putting it in "Wait mode" is like playing old school, that is not quite right. It still can be hard at times keeping track off everything, especially when your team goes off to the side and engages into battles on their own. So yeah. I think I need to be more efficient with gambits though.

Anyways, what I want to say in summary is that the game controls themselves are not that hard, but the game play can be. Strategy becomes more important. Also the Liscense Board at first is cumbersome since you did not know its full breathd of capacity, thus early on I found myself unfocused when using it, now I find it much more effective, and I adjust my characters abilities according to what I need. (Right now, I am trying to make Balthier acquire some Red, Green and White magic just so he can buff, debuff and heal status effects while I'll keep Fran and Vaan as my main healers.

EDIT: I agree that at times there arises the need to do sidequests/events just to level or gain gil or LP before you can move on with the main plot.

Miriel
11-06-2006, 05:59 AM
At first I was pretty stumped by this game, but only because of my own personal issues with making decisions and trying really hard to plan out the license board correctly.

Once I decided to be all, "screw it" and squander my license points left and right with complete disregard for any order, the game became a lot easier. I've only died twice so far and both times was when I only had Vaan in the party near the beginning of the game. None of the boss fights I've had so far (I'm in Raithwall's Tomb at the moment) have been particularly difficult. And I haven't even been using quickenings cause I kinda forget that they're there. So yeah, the game isn't terribly hard, it's just more intricate and complex than past Final Fantasy games. Although I gotta say, compared to the work required to party in Final Fantasy XI, the battling in FFXII is not difficult or tedious at all.

I usually don't even have time to use magic attacks in regular battles because they end so quickly after a few auto hacking and slashing.

Elfen
11-06-2006, 06:28 AM
In my personally opinion, this is the most challenging FF game I have played.
But the optional bosses and bosses are far too easy than other FF games.
With just alittle afford, I can easily get all the Ultimate weapons.

farplaner
11-06-2006, 09:41 AM
I really haven't found it very difficult so far, I suppose that could very well change as I progress, but aside from a couple of KO's, I haven't had too much trouble.

I think the gambit system works pretty well, though there are some gambits I could think of that aren't available...but I have plenty more yet to obtain. Plus, since you can turn them off or supercede them by inputting your own commands, it has a nice balance between old and new school.

My main problem is running in circles through areas chaining for items with high re-sell. After a couple of hours of that, my money is spent in one trip to the shops after buying everything I want before proceeding. Also, I'm hoping that monsters will start giving up more LP, as the licensing is starting to progress more slowly. (even with the golden bracelet, or whatever it's called, that gives you double the LP.)

Ichimonji
11-06-2006, 05:12 PM
Yeah, it all depends on how you play the game. And since there's so many options and paths to go down; everybody's going to be playing this game differently. So the difficulty level is going to rely on how the user makes decisions in the game.

Moon Rabbits
11-06-2006, 05:25 PM
It's alot harder than VI-X-2 indeed and harder than I-V in many aspects.

I went through FFX seeing the Game Over screen only twice, so far I've seen it about 5 times in FFXII and I only just beat the Garuda after travelling across the Sandsea (which I also died in, damn you Entites!)

Sefie1999AD
11-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Hmm, so this game sounds very hard. When I've got my hands on it, I'll only be able to play it once or twice in a month, during the weekends when I'm visiting my parents... and if it's too hard, I'm going to spend most of the weekend being frustrated at the game. :p

I'd say it's probably on par with FFT so far, some battles are frustrating, but certainly nothing comparable to

Defeat Wiegraf!

or

Step on the Floodgate Switches!.

I think the battles against Wiegraf and Velius were quite short, but they were certainly hard if you weren't prepared. I had to load an earlier save to teach Ramza Auto-Potion so that he could survive Wiegraf's attacks during their duel. I didn't think the Floodgate battle was that hard, it was just very long (took me about 45 minutes). FFT had loads of tough battles, and random battles usually took me 15-30 minutes to beat (I still leveled up really much, though), but I still don't think it was as hard as FFIV Hard Type or FFV.

Jowy
11-06-2006, 08:04 PM
So far it's been mildly challenging. I've died a few times due to my own stupidity, but realized my errors.

I never had trouble with the floodgate switches either. Inside of Riovanes Castle, Roof of Riovanes Castle, and Gologrand Execution site though. o_o

Dell
11-07-2006, 05:26 PM
HARD. The Rank VIII mob hunt are definitely harder than the boss you fight during the storyline, (Vayne have 250000 HP, Fafnir have about 500000, Pylraster about 600000, Gilgamesh 400000, Behemoth King 700000, Carrot 350000 and Yazmat 50000000. Optional Boss: Doom Dragon/Majinryuu 8000000, Omega MK XII 12000000).

BustaMo
11-07-2006, 05:31 PM
Yeah, it probably will turn out to be one of the best games just for the mere fact there is SO much to do. At first I though that the fishing and "hunting" side quests would all be gay. These Clan hunt Mark quests are freak'n awesome, and the rare game you go after, hidden Espers, Omega...I'm love'n it.

VengefulRonin
11-08-2006, 12:52 AM
Its definitely way harder than IX through X-2, cant say about VII or VIII cuz i dont remember much of VII and i didnt play VIII...

I think what makes it hardest (for me anyway) is that it takes alot more fighting to lv up than in previous games, and so i'm always getting beat up, so i run away, meaning i'm always underleveled...nasty domino effect

And i'm always broke cuz i'm always having to buy freaking magic and techniques! >___<

James16
11-08-2006, 03:25 PM
ITS FAWKIN HARD!!! By far the hardest ive ever played. Its so fun but yet it pisses you off so much. How it is such sweet sorrow.:p An its like dell said the side bosses are harder than the main story line bosses. Im jus barley into the mob hunt an im gettin my ass whiped every time! An that usually dont happen to me with games...i usually always find sum little way to beat bosses on my first try but this game is makin me feel like a little punk..... An i shudder to think about trien to tackle the optional espers.....* gets chills*

VengefulRonin
11-09-2006, 02:47 AM
It issss hard >_< I have a harder time just with the normal enemies than bosses....especially on this stupid ship i'm on cuz all the guards gang up on me and on top of that i gotta fight Judges. Blarg! >_<

This game is so cruel to me...i like it and its addicting (just like any other FF), but it pisses me off sooo much too since i'm always being killed

Sefie1999AD
11-09-2006, 07:30 PM
Hmm, so if you level up loads, take your time planning your party and their abilities, choose your gambits well and think carefully during the battles, should you be fine with the game?

Jowy
11-09-2006, 07:39 PM
I haven't had any difficulty at all, with the exception of wandering places that I shouldn't.

And the guards are easy. Just set up for Ally: HP < 50% : Cure and you'll be fine.

VengefulRonin
11-10-2006, 01:33 AM
I have that set up, but i was underleveled...but now i finally got to that save crystal, so now that all the guards are swarming me and they respawn every time i exit/re-enter the room, i'm just leveling on them ^_^ Its really not that bad...gah, but the licence board is confusing >_< I found Ashe's mist thingy, and Vaan's, but i cant find anyone else's

Madame Adequate
11-10-2006, 01:38 AM
Well, it's quite a bit less hard now that I've got a few buffs and debuffs, some quickenings, and an Esper. I have completely pwnd everything I've fought with the exception of elementals, and Ba'gamnan and his crew. Real heavy cru there.:(