PDA

View Full Version : What Not to Open *treasure Chests*

skillzboy4
11-06-2006, 05:15 AM
I was wondering if anyone had any info on what treasure chests not to open for the new people playing the game so that they can obtain the *really good* weapons, i need some info to.

Jowy
11-06-2006, 05:18 AM
Off the top of my head:

Across from Old Dalan's in Lowtown

Bottom-right corner of the palace storage.

The confiscatory in Nalbina.

The fourth one escapes me at the moment.

skillzboy4
11-06-2006, 05:33 AM
Off the top of my head:

Across from Old Dalan's in Lowtown

Bottom-right corner of the palace storage.

The confiscatory in Nalbina.

The fourth one escapes me at the moment.

Yeah just to clarify the bottom-right corner of the palace is a Elixir if u did get it ur screwed

and the Confiscatory in Nalbina is right after the scene where u lose all ur equipment find it in the room with the chests.

Miriel
11-06-2006, 06:12 AM
I would just like to say, this is the stupidest thing ever. And the only possibly reason for doing this that makes any sort of sense is that they just wanted to sell more strategy guides.

Elfen
11-06-2006, 06:23 AM
I opened every treasures there is in this game.
There is another way to get it too though.
Just that the percentage is lower.

Jowy
11-06-2006, 06:30 AM
Pretty much, Miriel. Thankfully those who purchased the obnoxiously large strategy guides can spread the knowledge to the others though.

Nominus Experse
11-06-2006, 03:07 PM
Pretty much, Miriel. Thankfully those who purchased the obnoxiously large strategy guides can spread the knowledge to the others though.
You guys can all be like Jesus! Or something...

James16
11-06-2006, 03:30 PM
So if you do opean the treasure chests you cant get the weapons??

Elfen
11-06-2006, 03:58 PM

You can get it by other way.
Just the percentage to get is lower.

James16
11-06-2006, 04:28 PM

percentage you mean by the stuff it does like its weaker or percentage liek its rarer to find??

Elfen
11-06-2006, 05:11 PM

percentage you mean by the stuff it does like its weaker or percentage liek its rarer to find??

Rare to find. Its not a very great weapon compared to other.
Just I wanna get it to complete my weapon collection.

YukiKiro
11-06-2006, 05:57 PM
Supposedly its the best weapon in the game. But what suprises me is that the past FFs have been based around missing nothing and getting everything. Now you have to purpously miss some things to get something else.

Madame Adequate
11-06-2006, 07:27 PM
Wait, what the heck is this? What's going on here? :confused:

Jowy
11-06-2006, 07:34 PM
If you open four specific treasure chests throughout the course of the game, which are completely unidentifiable then you're unable to get the most powerful weapon available: The Zodiac Spear.

It's really lame.

Miriel
11-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Wait, what the heck is this? What's going on here? :confused:

There are 4 chests in the game that are connected to some super weapon that's supposed to be the most powerful weapon in the game. In order to get this weapon, you have to leave those 4 treasure chests alone and not open them. If you open even one, the Zodiac Spear disappears or something. The stupid thing is that those chests look like every other chest in the game and there is NOTHING to indicate that those are special and that they shouldn't be opened. They're placed randomly about just like all the other chests, they look exactly like the other chests. The only slightly special thing about them (which you only find out AFTER opening the chests) is that when you open them they have a good chunk of gil inside. When I opened the first one (in front of Old Dalan's place) it gave me a nice chunk of 700-ish gil. I thought, "oh that was nice" but then you know, I guess that's supposed to be compensation for losing out on the super weapon thing.

Madame Adequate
11-06-2006, 08:33 PM
Well crap, no spear for me this play then. :( Oh well. Thanks for the info at any rate.

XxSephirothxX
11-06-2006, 09:05 PM
What a dumb idea. Oh well. I'm sure it's quite possible to mop the floor with most everything in the game without one fancy-schmancy spear.

Khaotic
11-06-2006, 09:27 PM
Not sure why people keep saying its a dumb idea, gives the game more replay value.

Raistlin
11-06-2006, 09:40 PM
Just so you know, the spear doesn't completely disappear. It's just more unlikely to get the spear from that chest if you open the other chests. If you open all four, it's something absurdly low like 1% or even less.

But yeah, it is stupid.

RedRum
11-07-2006, 01:41 AM
That means u practically gotta go thru the game witout opening any of the chests if theres no kinda of indication as to which chests are the special ones. Unless you hav the guide.

Zeromus_X
11-07-2006, 01:54 AM
This is retarded.

I don't need no stinking Zodiac Spear! :nonono: :cat:

Rye
11-07-2006, 02:16 AM
This is retarded.

Exactly. I'll open all the chests I want, I hardly care for my first time playing through. I just wanna get through for story's sake. xD

Elfen
11-07-2006, 02:49 AM
This is retarded.

Exactly. I'll open all the chests I want, I hardly care for my first time playing through. I just wanna get through for story's sake. xD

Same here. I get through for the story's sake and complete all side-quest too.

Miriel
11-07-2006, 03:48 AM
Not sure why people keep saying its a dumb idea, gives the game more replay value.

Because the natural inclination of a player is to seek out and collect as much as they can in a game. Collecting treasures in order to get an ultimate treasure makes sense. Refraining from opening 4 random chests that look the same as ALL the other chests in the game, that are placed about randomly in a fashion identical to ALL the other chests in the game, and then being rewarded for such bizarre and nonsensical behavior is absurd.

Elfen
11-07-2006, 04:01 AM
I opened those treasure but I still get the Spear.
And I finished collecting my weapon collection.
This means there is always a way to get what you want in FFXII.

Raistlin
11-07-2006, 04:18 AM

Because the natural inclination of a player is to seek out and collect as much as they can in a game. Collecting treasures in order to get an ultimate treasure makes sense. Refraining from opening 4 random chests that look the same as ALL the other chests in the game, that are placed about randomly in a fashion identical to ALL the other chests in the game, and then being rewarded for such bizarre and nonsensical behavior is absurd.

The best part is that they're all within the first few hours of the game. So right off the bat, you get to ruin your chances to get a great weapon later.

yojimbosoul
11-07-2006, 06:51 AM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/game/459841.html

gamefaq will tell you everything you need to know.

Kouli's is the best guild. Press ctrl+F and type in "Strongest Halberd" it should be near the bottem

Dell
11-07-2006, 04:38 PM
Two ways to get Zodiac Spear (Get it! Its attack is 150. Second strongest weapon:Tolo Sword: 130 attack, need another 20!!!.

1: Jowy said it all, the last one is the 20 treasure in Phon Coast, don't open any of it. And Zodiac Spear is now available in Necrohol of Nabudis.
2: Henne Mines, 10% chance to get it, must equip Diamond Bangle You can't get it during your first visit, get it when you're looking for the Esper, Zodiac.

Zodiac Spear is a bad name. I like Strongest Halberd better.

Elfen
11-07-2006, 05:01 PM
Let me translate them into U.S. Version for me.
Tournesol - Tolo's Sword
Zodiac Spear - Strongest Halbert.
In my opinion, Tournesol is a better equipment than Zodiac Spear. Why? Because you can equip 2 of the strongest equipment in your character's hands.

Dell
11-07-2006, 05:15 PM
Let me translate them into U.S. Version for me.
Tournesol - Tolo's Sword
Zodiac Spear - Strongest Halbert.
In my opinion, Tournesol is a better equipment than Zodiac Spear. Why? Because you can equip 2 of the strongest equipment in your character's hands.

Tolo Sword/Tournesol is a 2-handed-sword.

BustaMo
11-07-2006, 05:40 PM
The percentage is still even 1% even if you don't open all of the treasure chests.

As for Elfin, who states he obtained the Weapon even after opening chests, I still highly doubt you. If the guide says it "disappears" if you open even one of those chests, I'm more willing to put my money on that.

dis‧ap‧pear  /ˌdɪsəˈpɪər/ Pronunciation Key - [dis-uh-peer]
1. to cease to exist or be known; pass away; end gradually: One by one the symptoms disappeared.

Also, here's the location of the 4th. Heck, here's all 4 that I found listed on GameFAQS:
The most powerful weapon in the game has a trick to it that those who have to open EVERY treasure chest would miss out on. There are 4 places with treasure chests that must NOT be opened in order for the Zodiac Spear to appear:

1) Treasure chest in Lowtown, outside of Old Dylan's place
2) When sneaking into the palace (Before getting the Goddess Tear), there are several chests in the Cellar. Do not open the two chests in the southeast corner.
3) All treasure chests in the Confiscatory (the place where you get your weapons and armor back after being captured)
4) In the Phon Coast, later in the game, there is an island with 16 chests all near each other. The 4th chest that must NOT be opened is among these, so it is best to leave them all alone. They only contain Gil anyway.

If you've left all these treasures be, you'll find the Zodiac Spear in the Necrohol of Nabudis. It sports a whopping +150 attack and, like all spears, +8 Evasion.

momotaro18
11-08-2006, 05:31 PM
actually u just make sure u dont open the first two treasure only

Bcoz my fren still able to get it and i open all the chest and manage to get it from the henne mines after 4 hours ++ trying

Nominus Experse
11-10-2006, 05:34 PM
If I really, really, absurdly wish to have this Zodia Spear, I think I'll simply borrow a Gameshark and make it mine via that method.

I can't be bothered to consult a guide for every fucking time I see a treasure chest. Chests are made to be opened, as such, I will.

Additionally, it's only one weapon, and later in the game, it's better to have other things equiped than mass power. If you're goinig to fill your hands with a weapon, it's best to have it be a Ninja Sword or Katana anyways, seeing as the damage cap is 9999 per hit. I like seeing numerous 4999's rather than one 9999 float above an enemy's head.

I'll play through the game numerous times, but I am not about to worry about certain chests in the game.