PDA

View Full Version : I've been on a Vonnegut kick.

Jowy
11-06-2006, 03:36 PM
I've read Slaughterhouse Five and Breakfast of Champions and would like to know which one of his books I should pick up next. I was eyeing up Cat's Cradle, but if there's something better, by all means inform me.

I Took the Red Pill
11-06-2006, 08:11 PM
Read Cat's Cradle. I read it in one day because I couldn't stop reading it, it's a parodic novel that focuses on human stupidity, but in that sense it's also very powerful. Plus, Bokonon's Bokonism is the best religion. Ever. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

XxSephirothxX
11-06-2006, 08:28 PM
The only one I've read is Cat's Cradle, and I definitely enjoyed it. One of my friends is a big Vonnegut fan, and he likes Cat's Cradle the best, which is why I read it first. I'd go for it. I have Breakfast of Champions and his newest book (I think it's called A Man Without a Country?) but I've got so many things lined up to read I haven't gotten to them yet. :p

farplaner
11-10-2006, 01:05 PM
I've only read "Breakfast of Champions," which is an interesting place to start reading Vonnegut. I'm now a few chapters into Cat's Cradle, but things haven't really got going yet, so I can't say much.

Bokononism is definitely keeping me entertained so far, though.

Looks like there's only one "logical" choice, buddy. :D

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-10-2006, 01:09 PM
I really don't get when people refer to Vonnegut's stuff as parody or satire. Even weirder are the endorsing quotes that consistently mention how <i>side-splittingly hilarious</i> that particular book is. I mean, of course Vonnegut's funny, but it's not a boisterous kind of comedy by any means.

That said, you should read every single book the guy has written, preferably in the order he wrote them. They're wonderful. The lot of them.