PDA

View Full Version : Tekken and Soul Calibur

Ashley Schovitz
11-06-2006, 10:13 PM
Hey I was wondering if anyone plays these games here. The chance might be slim because of the fighting genre declining rapidly. Tekken and Soul Calibur are the best two fighting games there are made by Namco. Both Soul Calibur and Tekken 5 are highly addicting in gameplay with both of them offering lots of customization for your characters. Between the two I would have to say that I like Tekken 5 better. I guess it's because I've been playing Tekken longer than I have Soul Calibur. Both of these games could give more detail in the characters' stories Soul Calibur only gives slightly more other than that they're almost perfect
http://gioco.net/lof/CoverTekken.jpghttp://www.ncsx.com/www/ncs080299/soul_calibur_web_a.jpg

Psychotic
11-06-2006, 10:18 PM
I'm a big Tekken fan, as anyone who has been to an EoFF meetup will tell you. I'm good with Steve and Hwoarang.

I've played a little bit of SC, and to me it just seemed to be a cheap copy of Tekken but with weapons, which doesn't really appeal to me.

Nod
11-06-2006, 10:19 PM
I beat Psy at Tekken.

Jowy
11-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Soul Calibur II is the single most entertaining 3D fighter ever. I'll rock your face off with Talim. <3

Psychotic
11-06-2006, 10:24 PM
I beat Psy at Tekken.I'm not Zorander, although sometimes I'd like to be. ;) I think the only EoFFer who has ever beaten me is boris no no, although I've beaten her just as many times.

Frozen Phantom
11-06-2006, 10:27 PM
I've played:

soul cailbur 2
soul cailbur 3
tekken 2
tekken 4
tekken 5
tekken tag team

over all, I like soul cailbur much more than Tekken cause I like the origionallity in the characters as the characters in tekken almost always felt the same to me.

*edit* grammer nightmare

Dreddz
11-06-2006, 10:35 PM
I was once a fan of both, but not so much Soul Caliber anymore. The third game killed it for me. But Tekken has always wowed me, I feel a special connection to Tekken as I was playing it from day one, and have played every game on the day of release oddly. The same could be said for Soul Caliber I suppose, but I dont play that half as much as Tekken. At the moment Im whoring Tekken DR for the PSP, the game has upped the standards to what 3D fighting games on a handheld should be. And playing Tekken is almost standard whenever I get the chance to go to an arcade.

I will buy Tekken 6, probably not on release as I probably wont have a PS3 by then, but eventually. Soul Caliber 4 can pass, unless the series can drastically move from its roots in the next installment.

over all, I like soul cailbur much more than Tekken cause I like the origionallity in the characters as the characters in tekken almost always felt the same to me.

I hate it when people use this against Tekken. The same is with most fighters, especially Soul Caliber.

Venom
11-06-2006, 10:44 PM
I've played every Tekken! I absolutely love it, however the only Soul Calibur game I have ever played is 2.

Frozen Phantom
11-06-2006, 10:44 PM

I hate it when people use this against Tekken. The same is with most fighters, especially Soul Caliber.

at least the characters in Soul Caliber have different weapons, opening up different optunities for combos. In tekken everyone is bare hand fighting , except for yosmitsu (or however you spell his name), so their attacks usually look and feel the same.

~SapphireStar~
11-06-2006, 10:52 PM
I adore Tekken. It was the first beat em up I ever played and I have become very fond of it. I'd have to say Jin Kazama, Ling Xiaoyu, Paul Phoenix, Bryan Fury and Hwoarang are my fav characters.

They're sadly making a movie about it ...
Tekken (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0411951/)

Ashley Schovitz
11-06-2006, 11:04 PM

at least the characters in Soul Caliber have different weapons, opening up different optunities for combos. In tekken everyone is bare hand fighting , except for yosmitsu (or however you spell his name), so their attacks usually look and feel the same.

They're not each person are different in speed and strenght like Jack 5 for example is slow but causes heavy blows. Steve is a boxer so he can only punch, and also he's much more agile than other characters, has way more dodge moves. Back to my point.

I recently have noticed some connection storywise and character-wise between the two. Siegfried is cursed by the blade of Soul Edge and became Nightmare. In 3 his body split from Nightmare, but he didn't totally lose the curse as you have seen in the opening movie when his hand turns monstrous. What does this have to do with Tekken, well it might lead to the begginning of the relationship[ of the devil gene associated with Jin, Jinpachi, and Kazuya. I have no idea why Heihachi isn't affected by the devil gene while his son, grandson, and father are. In result Siegfried might be the decendant of the Mishima family eventhough Siegfried's English and the Mishimas are Japanese.
Cassandra and Sophitia two Roman sisters; Nina and Anna tow sisters. Coincidence maybe, but the pair are opposite, Sophitia and Cassandra get along together while Nina and Anna try to blast each other away with rocket launchers.

Dreddz
11-06-2006, 11:07 PM

In alot of case there weapons arent different.

Tekken

And its being directed by Charles Stone III, a god awful director. After watching two of his movies, Drumline and Mr.3000. Its safe to say the Tekken movie will suck.

Jessweeee♪
11-06-2006, 11:09 PM
I think there was an anime of some sort made based on Tekken a while back. I rented something that wouldn't play a few years ago and I think that's what it was...

I love Tekken!!!
I'm best with
Nina
Anna
Xiaoyu
Asuka
(ya, I was nine when I started, I believed in the whole girl-power thingy)
Law
Gon (again, I was nine and he farts, so...)
some other people

I'm also seem to have better luck with unfamiliar characters when using Mokujin. (I love Mokujin)
...of course button mashing works too.

Have any of you tried playing with a DDR mat?

~SapphireStar~
11-06-2006, 11:12 PM
I think there was an anime of some sort made based on Tekken a while back. I rented something that wouldn't play a few years ago and I think that's what it was...

Yeah there was a Tekken anime, never seen it myself.

I havent played Tekken: Dark Resurection ofr the PSP yet. Is it any good?

Ashley Schovitz
11-06-2006, 11:14 PM
I adore Tekken. It was the first beat em up I ever played and I have become very fond of it. I'd have to say Jin Kazama, Ling Xiaoyu, Paul Phoenix, Bryan Fury and Hwoarang are my fav characters.

Why will it be sad, according to my previous post Tekken has a good storyline for it that could make a good movie. The Mortal Kombat moview were fun to watch, but not that intruiguing. It really depends who puts this movie together if it can be good, but the way which Tekken is the movie based off, because I can't see it being made ofr the original because the original had no story, it was just fight fight!

Dreddz
11-06-2006, 11:14 PM

The Tekken anime was pretty bad. It has some decent fights in it, but these were affected by the poor animation, bad dub and a story that went downhill from the get go.

I havent played Tekken: Dark Resurection ofr the PSP yet. Is it any good?

Well, its Tekken on a handheld, just imagine it like that. Not like the crap on the GBA, it plays like the real deal. I'd second the game only to Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max and Guilty Gear Judgement.

~SapphireStar~
11-06-2006, 11:17 PM

Why will it be sad, according to my previous post Tekken has a good storyline for it that could make a good movie. The Mortal Kombat moview were fun to watch, but not that intruiguing. It really depends who puts this movie together if it can be good, but the way which Tekken is the movie based off, because I can't see it being made ofr the original because the original had no story, it was just fight fight!
Its sad because Hollywood are just putting classic games ont the big screen and personally they have all sucked. So to me its sad because Im a Tekken fan.

Ashley Schovitz
11-06-2006, 11:20 PM
I see Soul Calibur as a prequel to Tekken. By the way since Yoshimitsu's in both is he like 300 years old!? It's possible as we don't even know if Yoshimitsu's a human.

Roto13
11-06-2006, 11:23 PM
There are several connections between the two, actually. Hwoa... Haow.... Bob and Yunsung are likely related. They're both Korean, they have that same fiery hair, similar fighting style (lots of kicks), same attitude, etc. Yoshimitsu in SC is the founder of Yoshimitsu in Tekken's clan. Some people thing that Xiaoyu might be a descendant of Xianghua, but it seems like a bit of a stretch.

Soul Calibur > Joel

Frozen Phantom
11-06-2006, 11:27 PM
ok...ok I guess I have to admit it...the main reason why I hate tekken soo much is the fact that I COMPLETELY SUCK AT IT...

there happy now, if anyone wants to rub it in...you better acquire a taste for lead.

Dreddz
11-06-2006, 11:29 PM
There are several connections between the two, actually. Hwoa... Haow.... Bob and Yunsung are likely related. They're both Korean, they have that same fiery hair, similar fighting style (lots of kicks), same attitude, etc. Yoshimitsu in SC is the founder of Yoshimitsu in Tekken's clan. Some people thing that Xiaoyu might be a descendant of Xianghua, but it seems like a bit of a stretch.

Soul Calibur > Joel

Its likely these connections are just down to the fact that its made by the same company. Idea's run thin when you make so many games.

I see similarities between the two series, but I dont think in no way they are connected.

Roto13
11-06-2006, 11:32 PM

Soul Calibur > Joel

Its likely these connections are just down to the fact that its made by the same company. Idea's run thin when you make so many games.

I see similarities between the two series, but I dont think in no way they are connected.

Well, they ARE connected by Yoshimitsu. That's been confirmed. The rest is just speculation.

Ashley Schovitz
11-06-2006, 11:44 PM

Soul Calibur > Joel

I recently have noticed some connection storywise and character-wise between the two. Siegfried is cursed by the blade of Soul Edge and became Nightmare. In 3 his body split from Nightmare, but he didn't totally lose the curse as you have seen in the opening movie when his hand turns monstrous. What does this have to do with Tekken, well it might lead to the begginning of the relationship[ of the devil gene associated with Jin, Jinpachi, and Kazuya. I have no idea why Heihachi isn't affected by the devil gene while his son, grandson, and father are. In result Siegfried might be the decendant of the Mishima family eventhough Siegfried's English and the Mishimas are Japanese.
Cassandra and Sophitia two Roman sisters; Nina and Anna tow sisters. Coincidence maybe, but the pair are opposite, Sophitia and Cassandra get along together while Nina and Anna try to blast each other away with rocket launchers.

Come on, now that fits almost too perfectly together.

Roto13
11-06-2006, 11:45 PM
That hand thing from the opening movie of SCIII is all in his head.

Ashley Schovitz
11-06-2006, 11:52 PM
it would've been cool if SC had some animal characters too, Tekken has plenty, Kuma, Panda, Roger, and Gon. Mokujin's pretty funny too eventhough he's not an animal.
Oh and Roto 13 from your speculation from Yoshimitsu, were you saying that the Yoshi in SC is acompletely different person from the one whose the Manji clan leader in Tekken? I'm still wondering if Yoshimitsu's human, no can't be no human would dare fight like that.

Roto13
11-06-2006, 11:57 PM
The Yoshimitsu in SC is human, and long dead. I'm not sure about Tekken Yoshimitsu. Yoshimitsu is a title in Tekken, not a name, if I recall.

Dreddz
11-07-2006, 12:10 AM
The Yoshimitsu in SC is human, and long dead. I'm not sure about Tekken Yoshimitsu.

Yoshimitsu is apparantly a robot according to the manual's.

Ashley Schovitz
11-07-2006, 12:19 AM
I saw that link for Tekken movie and I saw the entire cast, she's right it is going to suck. Bruce Willis as Paul, Vivica A. Fox as Christie, and Kevin Nash as king!? That's hilarious!

Madame Adequate
11-07-2006, 02:14 AM
Soul Calibur > All.

Roto13
11-07-2006, 02:16 AM
^^^ MILF knows the score.

The Yoshimitsu in SC is human, and long dead. I'm not sure about Tekken Yoshimitsu.

I think he was an alien at one point but they... changed it... or something.

Madame Adequate
11-07-2006, 02:25 AM
Space ninja with a cybernetic arm, last time I checked.

JKTrix
11-07-2006, 01:23 PM
Tekken and SC do well at being very different games. They each added their own particular innovations to the genre and stand above most other 3-d fighters as the cream of the crop.

I didn't like Tekken at first. Coming fresh off of Dead or Alive 3--my first serious attempt at a 3d fighter--I was expecting to just press one button to do at least a 3 hit combo (button mash ftl). This was not the case, as I quickly figured out yet couldn't quite grasp at the time. So, I put it down and didn't play it until years later, when Tekken 5 came out.

Soul Calibur 2 appealed to me because it seemed fun and the Guard Impact system was similar to DOA's reversals, which I was quite familiar with. And it was great. It's a lot more immediately accessible than Tekken is (i.e., more button masher friendly), while still having a lot of depth.

To me, Soul Calibur is much more enjoyable to play and watch. The battles are dynamic and exciting, and if you ever get to see 2 high level players pull off parry after parry, it's a heart-pounding experience. If you watch 2 high-level Tekken players, it often focuses on who can land a launcher first then juggle them until they die. An excellent display of skill, but not as exciting to watch sometimes.

Soul Calibur was designed to be flashy and cinematic and not entirely realistic. Tekken was designed to be more real-to-life with ther 'each button represents a limb' and somewhat accurate fighting styles. They both do what they do very well, despite some balance issues in both series. In terms of game quality, I would rank them both on an equal level. Personally I prefer a good Soul Calibur match, since it's much more exciting to watch.

Virtua Fighter owns them all, however.

Mo-Nercy
11-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Yoshimitsu in older Tekkens looked pretty human. From what I know, Dr. Boskonovitch has modified him slightly before every tournament. What once was just a guy with a robotic arm is now almost a full cyborg. Another interpretation I have is that Yoshimitsu just rocks up to each tournament with a different suit of armour every time.

I love Tekken 5 (+ DR) and SC2. I like to think that I was kinda competitive at SC2 but only just. The local tournaments that used to be held around here boasted some real pros, most of whom would school me and day of the week, but I was some mild competition for some of the barrel scrapers =D.

I was a Cassandra man. Looking at the tier lists, I should be even better in SC3, but I haven't been able to find the time or the interest to make the switch. I got pretty swept up in the whole Tekken 5 arcade scene (Wow. There's a CARD xD).

In Tekken, I use quite a few characters (just like SC2) but my main is Lee. I tend to get smacked around a bit at arcades. I can't JF unless I have a controller (gonna buy a joypad to practice with though) and I'm not consistant with the really good juggles though I can land the simple ones every time (which is good for Lee since even the easiest juggle [launch, 1,2~f x 4, wall, 4,3,4] does criminal damage)

I have no idea why Heihachi isn't affected by the devil gene while his son, grandson, and father are.
Kazuya wasn't born with the Devil Gene, the devil entered his body at a young age after Heihachi threw him off a cliff. Jin received the gene through birth. This explains why Heihachi doesn't have the Devil Gene.

As for Jinpachi.. it's not stated anywhere that his supernatural power is due to the Devil Gene. I think we're supposed to just assume that after being locked away in underground Honmaru for decades, Jinpachi kind of went crazy.

Ashley Schovitz
11-07-2006, 04:12 PM
MY Best 5 fighters for Tekken are Christie, Hworang, King, and Xiaoyu.
Didn't Kuma used to be Heihachi's pet? I don't like Kuma anyway, his fighting still seems really ubalanced.

Breine
11-07-2006, 04:29 PM
I've been a fan of Tekken for almost as long as I can remember. The first Tekken was probably the first PlayStation game I ever played, and I'm still a very trusty fan of the series. My favourite character is undoubtedly Nina Williams (:love:), but I'm all-around good with pretty much the entire cast (except for characters like Steve, Bruce, Bryan and Marduk).
As any other Tekken fan I'm eagerly awaiting Tekken 6!

Over the years I've also become an avid player of the Soul Calibur series, and I'd almost go as far as saying that this series is as good as the Tekken series. The two series have completely different values in my opinion, but are equally enjoyable and fun to play. My favourite characters include: Taki, Ivy, Seung Mi-Na, Kilik and so forth. As far as I know there haven't not been any talk about a Soul Calibur 4, but I hop they'll continue the series.

Markus. D
11-07-2006, 08:11 PM

I dont think Yoshimitsu is in the SC manuals...

Madame Adequate
11-07-2006, 08:26 PM
MY Best 5 fighters for Tekken are Christie, Hworang, King, and Xiaoyu.
Didn't Kuma used to be Heihachi's pet? I don't like Kuma anyway, his fighting still seems really ubalanced.

That's only four...

But yes, Kuma is like Heihachi's bodyguard or something.

Roto13
11-07-2006, 08:29 PM

I dont think Yoshimitsu is in the SC manuals...

I believe he's referring to Tekken, old chap. ;)

Sylvie
11-07-2006, 08:43 PM

In the first one, he was a Space Ninja in the Manji Clan of Robin Hood-like thieves (which you'll notice if you saw the end video for Tekken 1.) He was never a robot, I beleive he just has a robotic arm.

Ozmoid
11-07-2006, 08:54 PM
I've only really played the original first game of the soul calibur series, soul blade. (i'm not sure how it differs form soul calibur 1, but i know they are related as Voldo(guy with claws) and sophitia(greek girl) are in it. Truth be told, i prefer tekken, although tekken2 was the first game i really played, ever(excluding board games)

Sylvie
11-07-2006, 08:56 PM
I've always loved Tekken 2. My favorite, probably.

Dreddz
11-07-2006, 08:57 PM

In the first one, he was a Space Ninja in the Manji Clan of Robin Hood-like thieves (which you'll notice if you saw the end video for Tekken 1.) He was never a robot, I beleive he just has a robotic arm.

I dont think his appearance makes much sense. Namco obviously intended him to be a robot as his first appearance in Tekken 1 was very much like a robot, and in the manual it straight out said he was a robot. In the second game he turned more human like. And in Tekken 5 theres a costume actually showing flesh so it will never make sense. Namco make a boo boo.

Roto13
11-07-2006, 09:02 PM
I've only really played the original first game of the soul calibur series, soul blade. (i'm not sure how it differs form soul calibur 1, but i know they are related as Voldo(guy with claws) and sophitia(greek girl) are in it. Truth be told, i prefer tekken, although tekken2 was the first game i really played, ever(excluding board games)

Soul Blade is actually very different from the Soul Calibur series, though it is a prequel as far as storyline goes.

Sylvie
11-07-2006, 09:03 PM

I dont think his appearance makes much sense. Namco obviously intended him to be a robot as his first appearance in Tekken 1 was very much like a robot, and in the manual it straight out said he was a robot. In the second game he turned more human like. And in Tekken 5 theres a costume actually showing flesh so it will never make sense. Namco make a boo boo.
He looked more like an Oni to me in Tekken 1. In 2, he looked like a Ronin/Oni. In 3, he looked like an alien samurai. In 4, he seemed dead and genetically fused with a dragonfly. In 5, he seemed like an alien/samurai. More heavily a samurai. His other appearance he has was more like a demon samurai. And the other appearance was like an ogre.

Ashley Schovitz
11-07-2006, 09:11 PM
By the way whatever happened to Kunimitsu from 1? In Tekken 5 they have the older versions, but I think they're missing alot of characters from it just like Gon and Boskonovitch were missing from the T3 part.

Sylvie
11-07-2006, 09:14 PM
Boskonovitch died in Tekken 5. Kunimitsu was in Tag Team and Tekken 2. Gon wasn't a serious character, he wasn't even original. He was from a manga in Japan.

EDIT: Kunimitsu was probably removed due to her uselessness. She was almost the exact same thing as Yoshimitsu, only she weilded Kunai (I think) and was a girl. I still liked using her, though.

Ashley Schovitz
11-07-2006, 09:22 PM
You know Tekken and Soul Calibur really should have some online play, It's obvious that both of them want it.In Tekken 5 Arcade mode they have you ranking up levels and competing against customized CPU with their own usernames.
In SCIII the World Competition mode does the same thing too, with the exception of ranking your characters up and also ift would be unique to show off some of your created characters, same goes for Tekken 5 Tekken 5 could've made fully customizeable characters, but they probably would've ened up like SC's creation mode, it lacked weight, height, not enough variation of hairstyles and the details were sub par, but still these two games deserve to have an online mode.

Sylvie
11-07-2006, 09:28 PM
You know Tekken and Soul Calibur really should have some online play, It's obvious that both of them want it.In Tekken 5 Arcade mode they have you ranking up levels and competing against customized CPU with their own usernames.
In SCIII the World Competition mode does the same thing too, with the exception of ranking your characters up and also ift would be unique to show off some of your created characters, same goes for Tekken 5 Tekken 5 could've made fully customizeable characters, but they probably would've ened up like SC's creation mode, it lacked weight, height, not enough variation of hairstyles and the details were sub par, but still these two games deserve to have an online mode.
:p I remember that. When I did that, I started wondering "...Am I playing online?" but then I noticed that if I was, I must be the king of the iron fist tournament, because I was owning everybody.

Ashley Schovitz
11-08-2006, 12:04 AM
What's your username on the game, I'm known as Chocobo feather.

Mo-Nercy
11-08-2006, 11:22 AM
Tekken 5 in Japan has online ranking at arcades. The cards also allow you to make and join clans which is better than what the rest of the world has (recording win/loss ratio).

I'm sure the next installments of both series will have an online mode. I look forward to it, but I'll always prefer playing at arcades. The sense of community is always stronger if there's face-to-face interaction.

Kunimitsu in Tekken 1 was just a palette swap for Yoshimitsu. They had the exact same moves and you couldn't even tell Kunimitsu was female. It wasn't made clear until Tekken 2, when she had kunai and hooters that she was more than just a funny looking Yoshi with a different name.

She was among the many characters said to have "died" between Tekken 2 and 3 because of Ogre (Toshin). She was in Tag (a non-canonical game) and had a whole new moveset and it looked like she was starting to build up into a unique character in her own right (Lee's movelist evolved from Law's much the same way) but she was excluded from Tekken 5, the game that seemed to bring back all the supposedly "dead" characters (Baek, Bruce, Wang, Anna etc.)

I didn't really like the create-a-character option in SC3. I didn't like SC3 at all really. I play fighters to beat up people so the weak movelists of all the created characters didn't really suit me. But by then I was already disappointed enough at the game for not being available at arcades. As far as I know, SC3:Arcade isn't being released outside of Japan. Even if it was released here, the characters have probably been balanced out enough so that I can't do 3/4 life juggles with Cassandra anymore. [ 4(A), 6AAA, 3B, 3K, 236AB. breakable stun but a good noob killer. ]

Sylvie
11-08-2006, 12:05 PM
Ogre should of had a deeper character, I was was always interested in that.

JKTrix
11-08-2006, 01:32 PM
As a note for online stuff: Virtua Fighter 5 (dethroning VF4 as best fighting game ever) on PS3 will support VF.Net that is used in arcades. I tinkered around with it when I went to Japan (I still have my access card, hope it works on PS3) and it's pretty freakin' awesome. VF4's was similar I'm sure, but that's a few years old already.
I'm not sure if it will have head-to-head fighting online (the arcade one doesn't as far as I've seen), but there is a *lot* of other stuff you can do. I didn't explore much of Tekken 5's online stuff, but even VF4's online stuff (a game that's a few years older) was more extensive. VF5 blows it away completely.

DOA4 has been doing online pretty well since it came out. Lag is uncommon, but it handles it in an interesting way. The entire game slows down so that both sides are seeing the same thing at the same time. It's definitely weird, but better than missing a counter or reversal because of lag.

Online for any 3D fighter can work if they can figure out a way to deal with lag. Latency will be a problem in any online game for a long time, so unless they are waiting for everyone to have 1gb/s transfer speeds to have real online fighters, they have to work around it.

Dreddz
11-08-2006, 04:39 PM
I'm sure the next installments of both series will have an online mode.

Tekken 6 wont.

Rocket Edge
11-08-2006, 08:15 PM
I'd love to play people here at Tekken 5. Simply because i've never been defeaten before *rubs that dirt off his shoulder* :eep:. No seriously the characters i play with are Paul, Yoshimitsu, Lee, Jin, Kazuya, Azuka, & Xiaoyu.

Sylvie
11-08-2006, 08:26 PM
Devil, Kazuya, Ogre, and Yoshimitsu ftw.

Dreddz
11-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Lei, Law, Kazuya, Bryan and Sergei are my prefered team.

I dont get smug most of the time, but you'll have a tough time beating me with Lei or Sergei, just saying....

Roto13
11-08-2006, 08:57 PM
I don't like Tekken enough to have characters, but when I play Soul Calibur I'm Mitsurugi, Taki, or Setsuka.

JKTrix
11-08-2006, 09:03 PM
Tekken 5 when I play I'm usually Raven, though I've spent a bit of time with Bryan and the new guy in DR.

SC I'm best with Kilik, Raphael or Setsuka

Sylvie
11-08-2006, 09:03 PM
I don't like Tekken enough to have characters, but when I play Soul Calibur I'm Mitsurugi, Taki, or Setsuka.
Mitsurugi is awesome. I also tend to use Seigfried and Yoshimitsu in SC.

Dreddz
11-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Cassandra is the best character in Soul Caliber, with Voldo and Seung Mi Na following.

Ashley Schovitz
11-08-2006, 10:00 PM
Kunimitsu in Tekken 1 was just a palette swap for Yoshimitsu. They had the exact same moves and you couldn't even tell Kunimitsu was female. It wasn't made clear until Tekken 2, when she had kunai and hooters that she was more than just a funny looking Yoshi with a different name.

She was among the many characters said to have "died" between Tekken 2 and 3 because of Ogre (Toshin). She was in Tag (a non-canonical game) and had a whole new moveset and it looked like she was starting to build up into a unique character in her own right (Lee's movelist evolved from Law's much the same way) but she was excluded from Tekken 5, the game that seemed to bring back all the supposedly "dead" characters (Baek, Bruce, Wang, Anna etc.)

Yeah, but I didn't really care about her, Anna was never dead, she was in every Tekken game 1,2,3,Tag,4, and 5 Anna just shared all of Nina's moves before 5 and I think use select her in the same place as Nina, but you had to press a certain button. As for Tekken 5 what did you think about everyone's extra costumes, most of them are weird especially Xiaoyu's pig costume, but Law's the best!

KentaRawr!
11-08-2006, 10:13 PM

Hwang, Cervantes, Seung (sp?) Mina, Mitsurugi, Siegfried, Rock, and Mr. Fire Man are also in the game. Also, I'm not sure if this would count as a totally seperate character, but Siegfried's evil form also appears in the Soul Calibur games after Soul Blade, under the name of "Nightmare".

The Unknown Guru
11-09-2006, 03:33 AM
SCII/SCIII. I shred with Astaroth.

Mo-Nercy
11-09-2006, 10:04 AM
Yeah, but I didn't really care about her, Anna was never dead, she was in every Tekken game 1,2,3,Tag,4, and 5 Anna just shared all of Nina's moves before 5 and I think use select her in the same place as Nina, but you had to press a certain button. As for Tekken 5 what did you think about everyone's extra costumes, most of them are weird especially Xiaoyu's pig costume, but Law's the best!
Now that I've thought about it. Anna WAS in 3, but not in 4. Which came after Ogre, so I guess she never did die. My bad =D

But Anna and Nina were already very different characters since TTT, I'm not sure about 2 and 3 since I was noob then. In T5, they play similar styles. Poking pressure, high-low mixups (d+4,1~SS -> mixup pwns me). But what makes Nina a better character than Anna (at least in 5. In 5.1 and DR, Nina was given a good nerfin') is that she has really safe launchers (as opposed to Anna's really not-safe launchers [except for CH QCF+1, which DOES need Counter Hit so.. =(]). Anna also needs a wall to capitalise on damage and her better juggles are harder to do.

In the end, I prefer using Anna because I like her personality more. :D She reminds of Ivy, one of my favourite SC2 characters (thought I can't use her at all in SC3 =[) You can even customise Anna to look like Ivy.

In response to the post above. I used to think Astaroth was the most useless character. Some good mixups but he's so damn slow that you can spot them and GI almost every time. But I've recently seen some good Astaroth vids and I gotta say =O. That beast is beasty in the right hands.

Also, Nightmare and Siegfried count as seperate characters. In SC3, they have different movelists and storyline wise, Nightmare isn't even Siegfried anymore, just a living suit of armour... I think. I'll have to ask roto to confirm.

JKTrix
11-09-2006, 11:27 AM
Anna and Nina's ending in Tekken 5 features music and a location from Soul Calibur 3. Namco has little crossovers between lots of games.

Roto13
11-09-2006, 01:52 PM
Also, Nightmare and Siegfried count as seperate characters. In SC3, they have different movelists and storyline wise, Nightmare isn't even Siegfried anymore, just a living suit of armour... I think. I'll have to ask roto to confirm.

Siegfried/Nightmare in a nutshell:

At the end of Soul Blade, Siegfried finds Soul Edge and turns into Nightmare.

In SC I, Nightmare's ending shows him regaining his mind and becoming Siegfried again. Siegfried's SC I story comes after Nightmare's SC I story. Siegfried's movelist differs slightly from Nightmare's in this game.

In SC II, Siegfried has lost control and become Nightmare again. Siegfried is only playable as a costume for Nightmare, so he's not technically in the game at all.

In SC III, Raphael somehow manages to damage Soul Edge and free Siegfried's mind. Soul Calibur appears and Sigfried thrusts it into Soul Edge as a way to neutralize it until he can destroy it, then he leaves with both swords. Zasalamel finds the place where the battle took place and finds Nightmare's armour. He senses that Soul Edge's spirit has clung to the armour, and decides to give it a body. This creates the new Nightmare. In SC III Nightmare and Siegfried are seperate characters alltogether. They have different movelists. Nightmare doesn't even use Soul Edge any more. It uses a mock version it pulled out of it's ass.

On a side note, since the new Nightmare is the spirit of Soul Edge, you could say he's Inferno.

So, yes, you are correct. :)

Mo-Nercy
11-09-2006, 02:08 PM
Yeah, SC2 had a badass Nightmare. Beyond imba when it came to playing noobs. SOUL CHARGE -> 66B. Repeat. YOU WIN. =X

Sucks how SC3 doesn't let you move and soul charge. It used to be a big part of my game to scare them into doing nothing (Cassies 236B punishs/interrupts just about everything if they try to go toe-to-toe) and while they were at a loss as to how to come at me I'd just back away and soul charge to level 2 or 3 and just run back into 'em with 66BB mixed up with the low slide. If they're steppy, then I'll stop and horizontal mixup between AK and 1A.

Ryushikaze
11-09-2006, 02:23 PM
Anna and Nina's ending in Tekken 5 features music and a location from Soul Calibur 3. Namco has little crossovers between lots of games.

Aren't SC and Tekken supposed to be chronologically linked, anyways? I mean once Yoshimitsu appeared in SC I thought they pretty much just sort of operate under the notion that SC will (very eventually) become Tekken's world.

JKTrix
11-09-2006, 02:44 PM
The Yoshimitsu discussion started on the 1st page :P

I'm pretty sure you can still move+charge in SC3, though I haven't played it in a while. I know you move a lot slower, but you can still run.

Namco has cameos in all sorts of seemingly unrelated games. There's the KOS-MOS costume in SC3. There's a whole character in Ace Combat 5 who looks to be related to the Ridge Racer girl. In fact, in one of the last levels of Ace5, there are cars from Ridge Racer there. You can probably find a Pac Man icon hidden somewhere in every game. My friend Saku could probably list a lot more.

Ryushikaze
11-09-2006, 03:24 PM
No, I agree that Namco cameos a lot (I mean a LOT. ToD2 is rife with them, as are most of the tales series games). I'm just saying that a nod to SC in Tekken is slightly different in that they are chronologically linked (Considers Olcadan appearing in Tekken, chuckles), and so a future character appearing in a place that existed in the past is just kinda par for course.

Ashley Schovitz
11-10-2006, 01:46 AM
I have three questions about the story with Tekken, Roto probably knows as he seems to be a videogame history expert. In the begginning of Tekken 5, when Heihachi and Kazuya are fighting the Jacks, what's going on, why are they fighting them and where did they come from?

Question 2. In Tekken who was officially head of the Mishima corp, was it Heihachi? In Tekken 5 I believe I heard Lee mention something that Kazuya stole his position

Question 3. Whatever happened to Jun, I never owned Tekken 2, but I did play it, as I had heard that Jun is Jin's mother then what's Asuka's relationship to him, a cousin?

Roto13
11-10-2006, 01:50 AM
Sorry Ashley, I'm not a big Tekken fan so I haven't really know the storyline. I wrote an entire FAQ about the Soul Calibur storyline (http://soulcalibur3.us/soulcalibur3/guides/soul_calibur_iii_story.txt), but Tekken isn't really my forte.

Sylvie
11-10-2006, 03:56 AM
I have three questions about the story with Tekken, Roto probably knows as he seems to be a videogame history expert. In the begginning of Tekken 5, when Heihachi and Kazuya are fighting the Jacks, what's going on, why are they fighting them and where did they come from?

Question 2. In Tekken who was officially head of the Mishima corp, was it Heihachi? In Tekken 5 I believe I heard Lee mention something that Kazuya stole his position

Question 3. Whatever happened to Jun, I never owned Tekken 2, but I did play it, as I had heard that Jun is Jin's mother then what's Asuka's relationship to him, a cousin?
Question 1: That takes place after the tournament. The Jacks were sent from someone (I forgot who, I think Raven or something), and Kazuya tricks Heihachi. He leaves them there to kill him and then Kazuya morphs into Devil form and flies away.

Question 2: Heihachi was the head for Tekken 1, and then at the end Kazuya took his place, and then I think that Heihachi regained his position at the end of Tekken 2. Heihachi is still the champion I think at the end of 3, and at 4, Kazuya is alive and opens some whoop ass on the Tekken Force.

Question 3: Jun died. Yes, she is Jin's mother and Kazuya is his father. Asuka is related, I think it is either his cousin, sister, or his aunt or something. I forget.

KentaRawr!
11-10-2006, 08:23 AM
(I forgot who, I think Raven or something)
Why would he slice his own Jack in half? o_O

Question 3: Jun died. Yes, she is Jin's mother and Kazuya is his father. Asuka is related, I think it is either his cousin, sister, or his aunt or something. I forget.

I'm quite positive she's Jin's cousin. o.o Sister wouldn't make sense, as then she would have undoubtedly known who Jin was in her ending in Tekken 5, and not refer to him as "you" and "pervert". Aunt wouldn't be quite right either, as she is teh hawtz. So yes, cousin.

Mo-Nercy
11-10-2006, 10:17 AM

Question 1: That takes place after the tournament. The Jacks were sent from someone (I forgot who, I think Raven or something), and Kazuya tricks Heihachi. He leaves them there to kill him and then Kazuya morphs into Devil form and flies away.

Question 2: Heihachi was the head for Tekken 1, and then at the end Kazuya took his place, and then I think that Heihachi regained his position at the end of Tekken 2. Heihachi is still the champion I think at the end of 3, and at 4, Kazuya is alive and opens some whoop ass on the Tekken Force.

1: G Corporation. The company that has always been credited with Jack development. G Corporation is considered the rival company to the Mishima Zaibatsu.

2: In the original Tekken, Heihachi was on top. Chronologically, Jinpachi was the boss before the first game was released but we don't find that out till much much later. Kazuya defeats Heihachi in Tekken 1.

Kazuya is now the head of the company in Tekken 2. Heihachi comes back and defeats him and gets it back.

After Tekken 3, Heihachi remains at the head of the company but technically, Heihachi wasn't champion of Tekken 3. Paul defeated Ogre but left before the final transformation into True Ogre was made. Jin then proceeded to defeat True Ogre and win the tournament. Heihachi betrays Jin here and Jin decides to fly away to Australia, now that he's aware of his devil form, to unlearn his Mishima-style karate. Because Jin left, the result of the tournament became void and Heihachi stayed through Tekken 4.

Tekken 4's ending is well documented in the intro to 5. Jin had both Kazuya and Heihachi at his feet but a sudden wave of compassion overcame him and he left before finishing off either of them. Suddenly, dozens of Jacks are shot at them... etc. etc.

In Tekken 5, neither Heihachi or Kazuya are in power. Jinpachi, after being freed from his prison in Honmaru (when the place exploded in Jacky goodness) somehow managed to organise the Zaibatsu and announce a tournament. I guess nobody found it weird that Heihachi's father was buried underneath an ancient temple for half a century.

As for Lee's ending, Kazuya clearly states that Lee is a tool and doesn't know what's going on, which is true. Lee was wrong about Kazuya getting to the Mishima Zaibatsu. Jinpachi beat everyone to it.

3: Jun is Jin's mother. She died to Ogre before Tekken 3. Asuka's father, also a master of Kazama Style Self Defense, is Jun's brother. Thus, Jin and Asuka are cousins.

Markus. D
11-10-2006, 10:52 AM
I miss Jun :[

but yay for the arcade n_n so we could choose her and pwn!

Mo-Nercy
11-10-2006, 11:03 AM
Jun was awesome in T2. In TTT, she was pretty crumby but could still take down the noobs who couldn't block low.

Asuka in T5 is much improved. Low tier still but much more usable.

Ashley Schovitz
11-10-2006, 02:57 PM
howcome Kazuya can control his form better than Jin and don't you think that Jackie Chan would make a good Lei for the movie?

JKTrix
11-10-2006, 03:05 PM
howcome Kazuya can control his form better than Jin?

I'll assume you meant Jin.

Kazuya is the devil. He's had him for a long, long time. Jin (son of devil) just discovered he had it recently, so he's pretty clueless.

Mo-Nercy
11-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Lei is a lot like Jackie Chan probably because Namco based their character off him. Or at least off the stereotype of a kung-fu HK police officer, which was popularised by Jackie Chan in the 90s.

Which leads me to think that Lei should've won Tekken 4. It was the only Tekken to have obstacles and irregular floors. Jackie Chan owns in those kinds of situations.

Ashley Schovitz
11-13-2006, 02:29 AM
Lei is a lot like Jackie Chan probably because Namco based their character off him. Or at least off the stereotype of a kung-fu HK police officer, which was popularised by Jackie Chan in the 90s.

Which leads me to think that Lei should've won Tekken 4. It was the only Tekken to have obstacles and irregular floors. Jackie Chan owns in those kinds of situations.
yeah he sure does and it seems that every fighting game has their own Bruce Lee wannabee Tekken has Law, Streetfighter had that guy, and MMortal Kombat, wait, I don't think Mortal Kombat has one.

KentaRawr!
11-13-2006, 09:20 AM

yeah he sure does and it seems that every fighting game has their own Bruce Lee wannabee Tekken has Law, Streetfighter had that guy, and MMortal Kombat, wait, I don't think Mortal Kombat has one.

In MK1, Leu Kang looked much more like a Bruce Lee imitation than he does now.

Mirage
11-13-2006, 09:58 AM
Yoshimitsu is the title of the leader of that particular ninja clan. Whoever is the leader of the clan is automatically given the name Yoshimitsu.

Mo-Nercy
11-13-2006, 11:08 AM
Then I guess SC Yoshimitsu and Tekken Yoshimitsu are different people of the same clan, seperated by about 400 years.

Coincidentally, they both fight similarly and have the same mechanical arm. =D

Fatal Impurity
11-13-2006, 11:20 AM

yeah including having yoshimistu and heihachi from tekken in SC2!!!

KentaRawr!
11-13-2006, 11:48 AM
Then I guess SC Yoshimitsu and Tekken Yoshimitsu are different people of the same clan, seperated by about 400 years.

Coincidentally, they both fight similarly and have the same mechanical arm. =D

Actually, both of their mechanical arms are different. One of them had their left cut off, and the other had their right cut off. I don't know who's was which, but I do know that Yoshimitsu of SC's arm was cut off before the game even started, and Tekken Yoshimitsu's arm was cut off at the end of Tekken 1.

Mirage
11-13-2006, 12:54 PM

Heihachi was brought there by a time portal of some crap like that, cause he found a fragment of soul edge. Yohsimitsu in SC isn't the same as in Tekken.

Fatal Impurity
11-13-2006, 01:49 PM

Heihachi was brought there by a time portal of some crap like that, cause he found a fragment of soul edge. Yohsimitsu in SC isn't the same as in Tekken.

i think it's rather funny when fighting games try to justify crossovers with a tedious plot line, family member's, supernatural events, etc.

Breine
11-13-2006, 02:49 PM
Has anybody got some information on which characters will be in Tekken 6, other than Lili, Jin and Hwoarang (who all appeared in the trailer)?

Roto13
11-13-2006, 02:50 PM
i think it's rather funny when fighting games try to justify crossovers with a tedious plot line, family member's, supernatural events, etc.
I dunno. My suspension of disbelief stretches pretty far in a world of demon swords. :P Heihachi was a guest character in II. Spawn, Link, Heihachi, and Necrid are not part of the storyline.

Correct. But SC Yoshi's name is his name, and not a title. He's the founder of the Tekken Yoshi's clan. Really, Tekken Yoshi's title is from SC Yoshi's name.

Timerk
11-13-2006, 03:10 PM

It's worse when they do things like the new MK game, where the developers didn't even bother to create a reasonable backstory.

Mo-Nercy
11-14-2006, 10:17 AM
Popular characters can only stay in a fighting game series as it's timeline progresses in one of two ways:
a) a daughter/son of the character who fights exactly the same way is created
b) they become a cyborg or are undead

I would rather fighters kept being boring and predictable with their characters than to have all the characters I love suddenly killed off.

Cruise Control
11-14-2006, 11:05 AM
While we're here, I'd like to know what the name of Cervante's Theme is.

Roto13
11-14-2006, 08:02 PM
Soul Calibur 1: Leaving the World Behind

Soul Calibur 3: ... Beyond the Horizon? I don't really remember.

Garland
11-15-2006, 12:48 AM
I'm a big Soul Calibur fan. I'm better at using Seigfried and Nightmare (whichever their current incarnation may be) but can't say I'm very good at the game. I can only beat people who haven't played the game before, and struggle beating the game on its hardest difficulty - especially SC3's hardest difficulty - the cheapness. I kinda like the new character Tira, but can't say she's surpassed Nightmare/Seigfried yet in usability. I need long range weapons to compensate for lack of skill.

KentaRawr!
11-15-2006, 11:18 AM
I'm a big Soul Calibur fan. I'm better at using Seigfried and Nightmare (whichever their current incarnation may be)

Currently, they're seperate characters. >.> One is a bunch of armor with the soul of Soul Edge, and the other is Seigfried.

Fatal Impurity
11-15-2006, 11:53 AM
Popular characters can only stay in a fighting game series as it's timeline progresses in one of two ways:
a) a daughter/son of the character who fights exactly the same way is created
b) they become a cyborg or are undead

I would rather fighters kept being boring and predictable with their characters than to have all the characters I love suddenly killed off.

i think i would too...why dont they just be honest and not even bother with having a story it just gets in the way of the violence!!! :D :choc2:

Mirage
11-15-2006, 04:49 PM
I kinda like those simple short-stories in fighting games. They're a nice bonus, but never what breaks or makes the game.

Mo-Nercy
11-16-2006, 09:35 AM
Story is interesting but it rarely turns me off characters. Sometimes a character's story makes him/her cool enough to use though. Using Lee for me is a case of "when you can't join them, beat them"

I tried to learn Mishimas but the crouch dash was too fiddly for me to pull off when I was just starting out Tekken. Now I can do it fine, but I've used Lee for so long that I've begun to feel the same hatred he has towards Heihachi and Kazuya. *grr* Now I don't like using Mishimas at all.

Similarly, Xiaoyu's lame-ass story in T5 did anything but turn me off using her. Time travel or no time travel, she's a schoolgirl with pigtails.