PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations For Some SRPG's

RiseToFall
11-07-2006, 08:43 AM
I've been playing RPG's for almost a decade now and love each new instalment that I purchase. One genre that I've never really got into was SRPG's, and so I decided it was finally time to give them the green light.

So I was wondering for all the people who enjoy SRPG's, (it seems their are many Disgaea fans here) can you give me some tips on which would be suitable for me.

Keep in mind that I am quite new when it comes to SRPG's and probably won't be able to tackle some of the more complex/difficult games in this genre.

Dreddz
11-07-2006, 08:56 AM
Disgaea comes to mind.

Markus. D
11-07-2006, 09:36 AM
Disgaea.

its like a skill spam version of FFT.

but at the same time, very complex (and exploitable).

RiseToFall
11-07-2006, 09:38 AM
Disgaea comes to mind.

Disgaea.

its like a skill spam version of FFT.

but at the same time, very complex (and exploitable).

Now is this game so complex that a newbie like me won't have a clue as to what I'm doing?

Also if you can on a scale of 1 - 10 what would you say the difficulty of disgaea is. 1 easy - 10 hard

Markus. D
11-07-2006, 09:45 AM
they mock the tutour level, you will love it ;)

in fact... they kinda mock everything o_o

the Intro is classic :3 (IMO)

diffuculty wise 3.... but if you want to do the finer things (like the Item world levels, very very very complex, but its a side thing, so I wont give it 10)

ps: good luck finding this game.

RiseToFall
11-07-2006, 09:47 AM

I actually already did, my Gamestop has it used for $69.99. That's a big hit to my wallet.

Markus. D
11-07-2006, 11:13 AM

I actually already did, my Gamestop has it used for $69.99. That's a big hit to my wallet.

BUY IT NOW!

BEFORE IT LEAVES FOREVER!

,_,

is it Disgaea: Hour of Darkness?

or Disgaea 2?

Dreddz
11-07-2006, 11:37 AM
Check ebay, much cheaper there.

The Devil Man
11-07-2006, 02:01 PM
RiseToFall, my good sir, there are indeed many good, nay!, EXCELLENT SRPG's out there which I think you would thoroughly enjoy!

These are the main titles you need to keep a look out for (besides Disgaea).

1: Atelier Iris
2: Makai Kingdom
3: La Pucelle Tactics
4: Phantom Brave

and, possibly,

5: Stella Deus: Gates of Eternity.

The first 4 are a must if you ask me. Atelier Iris is very intensely enjoyable and gorgeous to look at. The sequel, Azoth of Destiny, has recieved some mixed reviews but I think it is certainly well worth having a look at.

Makai Kingdom, La Pucelle Tactics and Phantom Brave are developed by the famous Nippon Ichi (who also developed Disgaea) and I would recommend those too as they have some gorgeous graphics and very humorous storylines as well.

Stella Deus I would recommend only if you are bored and have played through the other games first. It is a little bit more 'hardcore' and the storyline is rather generic, but I'd say it's worth a look :)

If your asking me which ONE game I would recommend you buy, then it would have to be Makai Kingdom. It's quite different to Disgaea and very addictive.

Hope that helps :)

JKTrix
11-07-2006, 02:18 PM
For some portable action:

Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
Zone of the Enders: The Fist of Mars
Super Robot Wars: Original Generation
And FF Tactics Advance. All GBA games

Then there are the 3 Advance Wars games, 2 for GBA and one for DS, though it's lighter than the previously mentioned games.

Jowy
11-07-2006, 02:34 PM
Atelier Iris is turn-based, not an SRPG.

All of you forgot to mention Fire Emblem. The shame.

Bunny
11-07-2006, 02:51 PM
Makai Kingdom, Phantom Brave and La Pucelle are horrible games. Horrible. Ugh.

I suggest Stella Deus. And also Suikoden Tactics.

ljkkjlcm9
11-07-2006, 07:09 PM
uhm.. Fire Emblem... any of em... AWESOME

THE JACKEL

Lindy
11-07-2006, 07:13 PM
Vandal Hearts 1/2.

Markus. D
11-07-2006, 07:57 PM
Makai Kingdom, Phantom Brave and La Pucelle are horrible games. Horrible. Ugh.

I suggest Stella Deus. And also Suikoden Tactics.

Phantom Brave isnt horrible at all, just has an extremely exploitable combination of gaming physics (and peraps a story to cute for some)

Saku
11-07-2006, 08:23 PM
For some portable action:

Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
Zone of the Enders: The Fist of Mars
Super Robot Wars: Original Generation
And FF Tactics Advance. All GBA games

Then there are the 3 Advance Wars games, 2 for GBA and one for DS, though it's lighter than the previously mentioned games.

Geez Trix... you mention Advance Wars but neglect Fire Emblem... How can you forget FIRE EMBLEM... *ahem*

Phantom Brave is cool, as is La Pucelle.... once you get over the "cute" factor.

Stella Deus I didn't play much, so I can't comment on that. Not sure if Growlanser series counts as SRPG, but that is a good series... but once again... potentially complicating.

Suikoden Tactics has the potential to become frustrating to a new SRPG player, especially if you aren't familiar with Genso Suikoden in general.

Tactics Advance is good for new peoples.... its easy... except for the laws which can get annoying. I would almost say play Tactics Advance before playing Tactics, but Tactics has the better storyline and more in depth strategy.

JKTrix
11-07-2006, 08:28 PM
You forget that Fire Emblem isn't one of 'my' games :P I knew someone else would mention it anyway, but I couldn't reccomend it personally. The whole 'Characters Dying Permanently' isn't my cup o' tea.

ljkkjlcm9
11-07-2006, 10:15 PM
You forget that Fire Emblem isn't one of 'my' games :P I knew someone else would mention it anyway, but I couldn't reccomend it personally. The whole 'Characters Dying Permanently' isn't my cup o' tea.

you mean is too hard and realistic for you? j/k but really all you have to do is restart that mission, it's really not that big of a deal.

THE JACKEL

Lindy
11-07-2006, 10:18 PM
Oh yes, and Shining Force 1/2, I forget if there was a third one, but I've played the first two and they're godly awesome games considering they were on the Genesis. Might have a GBA re-release, I'm not sure.

Jowy
11-07-2006, 10:35 PM
Shining Force 3 came out on the Sega Saturn. The GBA re-release of the original Shining Force is pretty mediocre though. =/

Dreddz
11-07-2006, 10:38 PM
To whoever said Shining Force, YES YES YES.

Saku
11-08-2006, 03:19 AM
Shining Force 3 came out on the Sega Saturn. The GBA re-release of the original Shining Force is pretty mediocre though. =/

THey re--released them!
What!
SInce when!

Fire_Emblem776
11-08-2006, 03:54 AM

THE JACKEL

Yes they are, good luck finding a good english patch though. Try Fireemblem776, now thats really difficult to beat.

Elite Lord Sigma
11-08-2006, 04:07 AM
Fire Emblem, definitely.

DarkLadyNyara
11-08-2006, 04:50 AM

THE JACKAL

Yes they are, good luck finding a good english patch though. Try Fireemblem776, now thats really difficult to beat.

I don't know, a rolled up magazine works quite well. (sorry. I couldn't resist. :( )

But yeah, the Fire Emblem games are definitly worth playing.

Erdrick Holmes
11-08-2006, 05:45 AM
Shining Force is the best SRPG ever made. Much better than FF Tactics.

Fire_Emblem776
11-08-2006, 06:04 AM

But not as good as Fire Emblem 4! That had huge maps.:eek:

JKTrix
11-08-2006, 01:53 PM
you mean is too hard and realistic for you? j/k but really all you have to do is restart that mission, it's really not that big of a deal.

It *is* that big of a deal. Playing a map for 45 minutes just to have one of my guys ambushed by 3 people and get killed is too much time wasted to go through it all again.

I'm not the kind of guy who can waste time on one game like that. If the game I had allowed you to save your progress during a mission that you could go back to, it would have been more bearable. But after being almost finished with a mission and having someone killed, the only option to keep that character was to restart. So I just shut the game off and went on to something else. This was around the time when I stopped using ROMS and started buying games. If I had played it on an emu it wouldn't have been a problem.

Nothing against the game itself, it's just not my 'cup o' tea' as I mentioned :P

Lindy
11-08-2006, 02:21 PM
Did you hit your head? More than usual I mean.

Erdrick Holmes
11-09-2006, 12:07 AM
Did you hit your head? More than usual I mean.

No, just spreading the truth... more than usual.

NeoCracker
11-09-2006, 12:19 AM
Makai Kingdom is Nippon Icchi at its best.