PDA

View Full Version : The soundtrack

nik0tine
11-07-2006, 08:51 AM
I am thoroughly dissapointed with the music in this game. I've heard two tracks thus far that have actually stood out to me (and they didn't even stand out that much). I like the song that plays in rabanastre, and there is a camp in the estersand that has a really nice tune. Other than that, though, the music has been completely bland and flaccid. The whole thing sounds like it was put together by someone as inexperienced with music as I am. There is no individuality and no flare in any of the music. None of it stands out. In all of the other FF's the music was in your in face. My ears didn't have a choice but to listen when I was traveling through dungeons, fighting battles, or what have you. However, half the time I don't even hear the music in this game.

So far the soundtrack has been very boring and very bland. Not what I expect from a Final Fantasy game at all.

Also, I realize that the opening prelude is good. However, I don't think it counts since it isn't a new composition. It's great in this game just like it was great in the last game just like it's going to be great in the next game.

Is anyone with me on this?

Miriel
11-07-2006, 08:58 AM
Yes, I'm disappointed. The music at best is mildly pleasant and just kinda flows in the background. Kind of like elevator music. There's nothing distinctive or really appealing about it.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-07-2006, 09:12 AM
I think the soundtrack is great. It doesn't play at all on the same level as Uematsu's stuff, but in its own way, it's just as good if not better. From what I've heard so far, it's comparable to that of Final Fantasy Tactics, which until now was indisputably Sakimoto's best work.

nik0tine
11-07-2006, 09:18 AM
Ahh, I was wondering why it sounded so similar to FFT. Now I know why. I loved FFT's soundtrack, and although it does sound similar to Tactcs I don't think it's nearly as good.

Miriels description of elevator music fits the sountrack quite nicely in my opinion.

Elfen
11-07-2006, 10:43 AM
I think the soundtrack are great. But it get quite repetitive near the end since most of the songs are just remix of some which is used in the beginning.
Overall, it still has awesome soundtracks.

Roto13
11-07-2006, 11:05 AM
I think the soundtrack is great. It doesn't play at all on the same level as Uematsu's stuff, but in its own way, it's just as good if not better. From what I've heard so far, it's comparable to that of Final Fantasy Tactics, which until now was indisputably Sakimoto's best work.

I think it's more like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, really. Actually, at least one song (maybe more) is from FFTA unless these ears o' mine deceive me. :P

To be honest, I'm kind of tired of Uematsu now. He's been great, but a lot of his work in the more recent Final Fantasys (except IX) has been a bit... blah. It's pretty much been downhill since VI. I'm digging Sakimoto's work so far. It's rare that I conciously think "Wow! This song REALLY fits the mood of this area well!" but I did that at Nalbina Fortress yesterday.

Dell
11-07-2006, 04:30 PM
I like the soundtrack, some of them are really addictive. My favourite is Paramina Rift theme, Pharos at Ridorana theme and Pharos at Ridorana - Subterra theme, I also like the one that plays when you are in the room where you obtain Dawn Shard, Sword of Kings and Tyrant Sword

James16
11-07-2006, 04:39 PM
I liked it, the music remined me of the ff that you played with cecil. I loved the music that played when you were in the Baron castle. An when i was loadin my game the music sounde familiar an then the music really started an i felt a tear come to my eye.:D

Rye
11-07-2006, 04:50 PM
I like the music, it fits the atmosphere and is subtle, but I wish there would be a few more stand-outs, or one of those Final Fantasy songs like Melodies of Life or something (I thought Kiss Me Goodbye by Angela Aki was the song, but I haven't heard it at all in the game, perhaps it's the ending song.) Though then again, it'd somewhat clash with the atmosphere, so maybe it's better that it's not there.

Hayabusa
11-07-2006, 05:01 PM
The soundtrack fits it very nicely - As much as it might seem underlying - the tune for the archedean empire is fantastic.

Moon Rabbits
11-07-2006, 05:08 PM
The sound track is actually very good, in my opinion. Many of the pieces are very, very well done, although I will agree that they don't stand out very well. I'm unaware of the composer of FFXII at the moment, but I can say that s/he has nothing on Yamaoka or Uematsu.

So far, only one track has enthralled me enough to seek it out on Limewire, that track being the one that plays in the Viera village that lies west of the Ozmone Plains.

jubjub13
11-07-2006, 05:12 PM
I'm almost finished downloading the entire soundtrack and I like what I've heard so far. I think it's great.

Ichimonji
11-07-2006, 06:23 PM
I'm also a pretty big fan of this soundtrack. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. It suits the mood of the game perfectly.

LunarWeaver
11-07-2006, 06:27 PM
I don't really think it's very good, and none of it has stuck so far besides a choice few. But it does its job of sitting in the background and being there without intruding, which is a good thing in itself. I would describe it as "pleasant" but not memorable.

Overall, I liked his FFTactics soundtrack much better ._.

Vivisteiner
11-07-2006, 06:34 PM
I'm unaware of the composer of FFXII at the moment, but I can say that s/he has nothing on Yamaoka or Uematsu.
Its Hitoshi Sakimoto.

Cruise Control
11-07-2006, 07:30 PM
It is FFTA, the thenme for Rabanastre is the shop theme from FFTA, the Estersand is that one fight theme.

Necronopticous
11-07-2006, 07:44 PM
I'm a minimalist, so I can appreciate the Sakimoto's subtlety. The other thing you have to take into consideration is that this game eliminated random battles. What does that mean for the score? Well, for one, we don't have random battles to break up a catchy boisterous tune looping in the outdoor or dungeon areas. The other thing is that these outdoor and dungeon areas are inherently much longer than previous games, so we'd have even more of those looping tunes. I think the soundtrack is beautiful and completely suitable for the game. I have yet to be dissapointed by anything I've heard.

And you can't really compare Uematsu to Sakimoto. Their styles are so different that it's almost like comparing apples and oranges. Uematsu creates scores that are worlds more melodic and immediately memorable than Sakimoto's tunes, however, that doesn't really mean he's a better composer, or that his works are greater.

Goldenboko
11-07-2006, 07:47 PM
I squealed like a school girl when I heard the Prelude, Prologue mixture.

Necronopticous
11-07-2006, 07:48 PM
Christ, you're not the only one. That choked me up almost as much as getting "Riskbreaker" rank in Montblanc's clan.

Cruise Control
11-07-2006, 08:03 PM
Obsessive (Rear Guard, soon to upgrade T_T)?

Roto13
11-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Christ, you're not the only one. That choked me up almost as much as getting "Riskbreaker" rank in Montblanc's clan.

Well, I wouldn't say it choked me up, but it was a great feeling! :)

Moon Rabbits
11-07-2006, 08:42 PM

I have yet to attain this rank, but the news of it's existence made me feel all fluttery in my chest region.

Sephex
11-07-2006, 08:53 PM
I like it for what it is. It's nothing compared to much of Uematsu's stuff, though. At first, I didn't like the music, but as I keep on going furher into the game I found more tracks I like.

The Unknown Guru
11-08-2006, 12:23 AM
I squealed like a school girl when I heard the Prelude, Prologue mixture.

Also, when I first went into Giza Plains, I just stopped dead to listen to the music. However, I found that it blended very nicely into the background when I wasn't actively listening.

That's what I like about Sakimoto's stuff: it's subtle, but it takes on a whole new form if you just listen.

Zeromus_X
11-08-2006, 02:29 AM
His music is wonderful for this game, it suits the mood of whatever's going on perfectly. The only issue is that almost none of the tunes are very memorable, and even though Uematsu and Sakimoto's styles are worlds apart, I still can hum any of his FFT or FFTA tunes by memory. Still, the music itself is of exceptional quality.

So basically, you can't think the Esper summoning music is bad, m'kay? :cat:

nik0tine
11-08-2006, 05:42 AM
Uematsu creates scores that are worlds more melodic and immediately memorable than Sakimoto's tunes, however, that doesn't really mean he's a better composer, or that his works are greater.I completely disagree. The better the harmonies and the better the melodies, the better the music in my opinion. But, perhaps I'm old fashioned when it comes to music. (like 300 years old fashioned)

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-08-2006, 05:49 AM
I started keeping an ear out for good songs I could cite here, but every single song I've heard since then has proven itself worthy. The entire score is just sheer quality from end to end.

VengefulRonin
11-08-2006, 06:05 AM
Its good music, i'll give it that...but it doesnt want to make me just stand in a town and listen to the music like past games have done for me (such as VIII and IX)...or buy the soundtrack, for that matter...

marysonnie
11-08-2006, 06:12 AM
I bought the soundtrack and wasn't all that impressed; granted, there were some nice tracks, but nothing really grabbed my attention the way that FF8 or FF7 did (not that anything is ever going to beat One-Winged Angel).

Marshall Banana
11-08-2006, 12:32 PM
The boss battle theme is especially great. It's stuck in my head every time I hear it.

six underground
11-08-2006, 03:11 PM
it's like Tactics...loved the music of that game :)

but it's a bit less eventful, more blend-in. so far the stand-out for me has been the one that plays in the estersand camps (the outpost and the south bank village:) ) beautiful. also the one that plays in the Barheim Passage :) The Giza Plains one blended in, but there's a point in it that just makes you sit up and makes it all melt.

LunarWeaver
11-08-2006, 11:17 PM
After beating it, I feel a sudden urge to mention the big vocal song for this game, Kiss Me Goodbye. I think the song is perfectly fine for what it is, and it's well-performed and nicely written and all...But as Uematsu's sole contribution, it seems almost odd with the rest of the music. It sort of doesn't fit to me. Not to mention it's a love song, and this isn't a love story at all. Maybe a sprinkled hint here and there, but this game is not about getting it on in a spring or catching your girlfriend in space.

That's not to say it's a bad song, but I wonder if they should have just kept it a pure Sakimoto orchestrated game instead of going for the "Look this game has a single too" situation.

Moon Rabbits
11-11-2006, 06:51 PM
The theme for Paramina Rift makes me feel all fuzzy inside.

Slicksword45
11-11-2006, 08:05 PM
I love the boss theam :) and the battles agenest the first esper, mr. firey weeeeeeeeeeee guy. I just got past Vossler, so you know were I am Also, the summon music ROCKS!

Nominus Experse
11-11-2006, 11:23 PM
I appreciate the music, I really do. It's as many have said - Sakimoto's works are much more subtle and in many ways fit this type of Final Fantasy more than a more recognizable, hear-me-now tune by Uematsu. Some of my favorites from FFXII thus far is the theme played while in Paramina Rift, Jaharta, and Eruyt.

On a side note, did anyone else think that the theme from the Ozmone Plains sounded strangely reminiscent of some Castlevania?

Croyles
11-11-2006, 11:37 PM
I said this from the beginning. The music is the worst part of this game. Maybe apart from one boss theme.

Slicksword45
11-11-2006, 11:45 PM
I said this from the beginning. The music is the worst part of this game. Maybe apart from one boss theme.

thats called an opninon. I loved the music, and i'm sure others will too. If you hate it, fine. It's ok with me.

Croyles
11-11-2006, 11:51 PM

thats called an opninon. I loved the music, and i'm sure others will too. If you hate it, fine. It's ok with me.

Yeah, its an opinion, did I say otherwise? Or do I have to write "in my opinion" after every stupid little comment lol :rolleyes2
I also didnt say I hate it, I said it was the worst part of the game.
I just thought none of the songs (apart from the boss theme, as I mentioned) stand out at all, and as someone else has said, Uematsu's song is really good, but just doesnt fit. The rest blend in quite nicely, but I couldnt put any names or locations to the songs if I would hear them again, thats how unmemorable they were to me.

WarZidane
11-12-2006, 12:15 AM
On its own the soundtrack isn't very good (though i like it just as much as the next FF soundtrack), but it mixes in really nicely with the game, as others have said.
Oh, and the best theme is (rank 7 mark spoiler) The battle against Gilgamesh. Clash on the big bridge is just an awesome theme :D

LunarWeaver
11-12-2006, 12:17 AM
I'm surprised Boss Battle gets more lovin' than Esper Battle. I love me some choral action.

Sefie1999AD
11-12-2006, 12:30 AM
I haven't played the game yet, but the soundtrack itself doesn't seem all that great. Playing the game could make me like the music better, though. For example, I thought FFIX's music was sub-par when I hadn't played the game, and now I think FFIX has the best soundtrack in the series.

I'll have to see how playing FFXII will affect my opinion about the music. But for now, the music isn't as memorable and emotional as Uematsu's, and it isn't as grandiose and enjoyable as Sakimoto's score for Final Fantasy Tactics. Out of the 100 songs in the soundtrack, the ones I thought were pretty good were Loop Demo, Final Fantasy (FFXII version), Opening Movie, The Dalmasca Eastersand, Clash of Swords, Victory Fanfare (FFXII version), Theme of the Empire, Chocobo (FFXII Arrange Ver 1), Esper Battle, Clash on the Big Bridge, The Phon Coast, The Sochen Cave Palace (composed by Masaharu Iwata), Esper, Ending Movie, Kiss Me Good-Bye, Symphonic Poem and Theme of Final Fantasy XII (Production announcement version). That's not many, really, and many of the songs I listed aren't even composed by Sakimoto.

BustaMo
11-12-2006, 03:57 AM
Music seems to fit in perfectly with the game in my opinion. Sure it's nothing that will totally capture you like Otherworld did the first time I popped in Final Fantasy X, but it flows smoothly; that's what counts a lot of the time. I may get the soundtrack off of eBay when income taxes come in next eyar. I'm not a big spender since being in college, so FFXII was my yearly purchase.

pantsofpower
11-12-2006, 07:04 AM
The music is pretty good, nothing outstanding, but there's some catchy tunes in there. I am a little disappointed - many other FF games have simply superb soundtracks (VI and X come to mind...) Unofrtunately, the XII soundtrack isn't really outstanding, but it does its job (setting the mood, etc) fairly well, and it's not so horrible as to detract from the experience at all, so I'm OK with it. Just don't expect me to buy the soundtrack CD... :tongue:

On its own the soundtrack isn't very good (though i like it just as much as the next FF soundtrack), but it mixes in really nicely with the game, as others have said.

That pretty much sums it up.

chionos
11-12-2006, 08:31 AM
I love the Giza Plains track.
The reason that Uematsu's music was so perfect for past games was that the animation and total lack of voice acting meant that much of the story had to be told through the music. Now, we hear the characters and can see everything better than ever before, so the music can take a backseat and let the visuals and voices speak for themselves. Not that the music's bad, it's just incredibly subtle. Like listening to Mendelssohn or Brahms as opposed to Mozart. Mozart will blow you out of your seat with beauty, but Mendelssohn will kidnap you and take you to another world before you even know it. Uematsu's music is profound and as a listener you have to hear it from the outside to enjoy it, but Sakimoto's music you can enjoy from within.
again, love the giza plains, although the entire set is making me happy so far.

pantsofpower
11-12-2006, 08:40 AM
...wow, that's it exactly. :eek: