PDA

View Full Version : A Question about Jobs...

undnce
11-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Ok, As I have seen on the website, there are a large variety of jobs. And gamespot states that at the very beginning of the game all 4 characters start out as freelancers, then you can pick which "rout" you want them all to take (red mage, white mage, black mage, warrior, theif, ect...). And as you go along the game, they can progress along their "rout", I was wondering if after you have picked all their "routes" you can change what "rout" you want them to take?

Lunadis
11-07-2006, 04:03 PM
Basically, you can change your job infinitely. The only drawback is when you change your job, it takes anywhere from 2 to 8 battles to adjust to your new job. Also, if your class didn't have MP before, it won't be there for your spells when you need it.

Stats change to whatever job you pick. If you change from Black Mage to Knight, you'll lose Intellect, Wisdom and whatnot and gain Str and Agi.

This only makes sense since it'd be no fun if players had to wait for a certain job to unlock late game.

"NOTE: Numbers by statistics are multipliers of the character's current EXP
Level. All characters at the same class and EXP level and equipment will
have the same values for all five perameters (Strength, Agility, Vitality,
Intellect and Wisdom) regardless of past experience."

EDIT - Oh, and your keep your job experience for that job when you change. That's why some may recommend you remain with a Monk for the whole game if you used it from the start VS switching to a Black Belt when such is unlocked. Same in terms of White Mage and Devout, Black Mage and Magus.

Captain Maxx Power
11-07-2006, 04:05 PM
I don't know why this was said, but as far as I know you can simply change to another class at any point. There's a "breaking in" period whereby your stats will be lowered until you have fought enough battles. But I don't think your limited to changing from a melee class to a spellcaster class whenever you feel like it.

Martyr
11-07-2006, 04:22 PM
I can't quite tell if this was mentioned, but, though you can change your jobs to any class throughout the game, it's best to keep your classes in certain catagories.

The reason for this is that, in the beginning, you get specific classes:

Fighter: strength
Monk: HP
WM/BM - MP and White or Black Magic power
Red mage: cumulative three

If, later in the game, you decide that you want your characters who were fighters to be mages and mages Fighters, the initial stat boos of changing jobs is all you'll get, and the stats will rise accordingly from there. So... If you wait until the end of the game and turn all your mages into Vikings, for example, they would be supremely underpowered, but, on the bright side, they'd be able to cast excellent spells. Except they can't. And then after levelling up a bit and turning them back into mages, their power would have increased, which is useless. You might as well call a lv. 30 character a lv. 26 character, because 4 level ups were useless.

Got it?

In the beginning, breaking the rules a little, I usually make all my characters monks for the first 5 levels if possible, just to get a HP head start.

undnce
11-07-2006, 04:25 PM
Ok, so once I get far in the game, I shouldn't change from mage to melee or melee to mage?

Martyr
11-07-2006, 05:04 PM
Ok, so once I get far in the game, I shouldn't change from mage to melee or melee to mage?

Generally, and you'll see how that's obvious from the stats.

However, there will be parts of the game where you might be forced to change your characters classes in order to get through certain dungeons or fights.

Which makes sense, since it's an application of the gameplay to fit the versatility of class changing.

But, generally, yeah. That's how I'd play it out.

undnce
11-07-2006, 05:26 PM
Ok, but another question, if I do change from melee to mage or mage to melee, when I change back to the original one, would I recieve the same stats as I had before?

Lunadis
11-07-2006, 08:29 PM
Final Fantasy III isn't like that. Only job systems like Tactics made it so your stats gained were fixed and based on that level. So you were stuck with whatever you took. Melee, caster, or hybrid.

In Final Fantasy III, your stats change entirely regardless of previous levels. x_o
So if you go half the game using a Thief to get Agi, then switch to a Magus later in the game hoping to have a super fast Magus, that won't happen. The Magus loses Agi and gains Int.

I think Martyr is thinking of other job systems. Correct me if I'm wrong. This system existed in Final Fantasy III and V, but not Tactics or the Game Boy Advance entreé.

undnce
11-07-2006, 08:42 PM
So if I (for Instance) start out as a theif, and get really high agi, then switched to a mage, than I would lose agi, yet gain the equal amount of int?

Lunadis
11-07-2006, 09:14 PM
So if I (for Instance) start out as a theif, and get really high agi, then switched to a mage, than I would lose agi, yet gain the equal amount of int?Not exactly equal, but yes.

The Thief would go from .9 agi .444444 int per level to .6 agi and .666666 int as a Black Mage.

Evastio
11-08-2006, 12:15 AM
FFIII hasn't been released yet so we're kind of clueless. :(

Although in the NES Version, you can always change to any class if you have enough CP. This should still be the same.

Lunadis
11-08-2006, 12:18 AM
Although in the NES Version, you can always change to any class if you have enough CP. This should still be the same.They took out the CP system. Now changing jobs just leaves you with Crystal Sickness for the mentioned 2-8 battles. This is just a stat penalty, hardly noticable at higher levels compared to earlier levels since it's a fixed penalty.

Zeromus_X
11-08-2006, 12:19 AM
CP was replaced with a different payment; that your stats go down for a certain number of battles like was said. :cat:

undnce
11-08-2006, 02:37 AM
Ok, so that makes sense, when switching jobs, you keep the same stat levels (although they may be moved around) but u have a penalty that lasts for 2-8 battles?

feioncastor
11-08-2006, 02:55 AM

There are a few points in the game where it's unwise to enter a dungeon with melee fighters because they won't be able to do much damage, and you'll know what I mean when you get there. At parts like that, it's a good idea to change your fighters into Mages so they can do damage against the enemies, then change them back after you're done there.

Lunadis
11-08-2006, 03:47 AM
Ok, so that makes sense, when switching jobs, you keep the same stat levels (although they may be moved around) but u have a penalty that lasts for 2-8 battles?Well, in addition to changing to the job, you get a fixed bonus besides the points per level like I explained earlier. (Let's say, x class gets +5 Str)

You lose out on this fixed bonus for 2-8 battles. Early on in the game, 5 str would make a huge difference, so you may struggle a bit for said 2-8 battles. But later on in the game when you have like, 50 Str, it's not that noticable. =P

undnce
11-08-2006, 11:22 AM
Oh, that's good. Did the original FFIII have this many jobs?

Crossblades
11-08-2006, 05:32 PM
Oh, that's good. Did the original FFIII have this many jobs?

It has the same amount

Captain Maxx Power
11-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Actually the DS version has an additional class when you start out, being the Freelancer. The Onion Knight is gained later on as a class all unto itself.

To clarify this (because we're going around the houses here), every class has a set of fixed bonuses based on the character level. In other words, a Level 30 Black Mage will have exactly the same stats (baring Crystal sickness) as another Level 30 Black Mage, regardless of whether or not the job was recently taken, been used for a long time etc. So really, in terms of your base stats, only your Job and Level matter. However, each job also has a mastery associated with it. As this increases it will also increase the potency of your attacks, both physical and magic. So a person with a Class Level 20 Knight would do more damage at the same level with the same equipment than someone who had just recently switched classes.

EDIT: The one exception to this rule (at least in the NES version) was that your HP growth was based on the class you had selected when you levelled up. So characters who primarily use mages throughout the game will have noticeably lower HP than melee characters.

undnce
11-08-2006, 09:10 PM
errr... I think it'll be easier to just figure it all out when I get it...

NINJA_Ryu
11-12-2006, 04:38 PM
Question, the only FF game i ever played with the job system (si fsar) was FFTA.

now, do the classes get skills? OR is it just the Stats that are being used?

Zeromus_X
11-12-2006, 04:52 PM
All the classes have skills unique to them, and many of the upgraded classes will have new abilities beyond the typical 'Defend' and such like they had last time.

EDIT: The one exception to this rule (at least in the NES version) was that your HP growth was based on the class you had selected when you levelled up. So characters who primarily use mages throughout the game will have noticeably lower HP than melee characters.

No more Monk HP-shenanigans. :/

Lunadis
11-12-2006, 09:07 PM
Question, the only FF game i ever played with the job system (si fsar) was FFTA.

now, do the classes get skills? OR is it just the Stats that are being used?For a further breakdown of skills;
http://na.square-enix.com/ff3/

For a further analysis of stats;
http://db.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/file/final_fantasy_iii_ds.txt (you'll have to paste in the url after following the link)
Use the find feature and enter:
2. Class Evaluations

This will take you to another review of the classes and their stats.

Neither of the above sites have the Onion Swordsman, though.

Classes simply get a fitting colour Magic and/or a Skill as mentioned.

feioncastor
11-12-2006, 09:34 PM
All the classes have skills unique to them, and many of the upgraded classes will have new abilities beyond the typical 'Defend' and such like they had last time.

Would it be apt to compare it to FFV Job/Ability system?

Zeromus_X
11-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Not really, as in FFV and on you could mix-and-match Jobs/abilities. In FFIII, some Jobs just had abilities unique to them. In FFIIIDS, since all the jobs are rebunked, some jobs that had rather useless abilities before (Sing comes to mind) will now be more useful, and jobs that didn't really have any abilities before have an unique ability. :cat:

The Bard in particular now appears to be really broken.

feioncastor
11-12-2006, 09:52 PM
I didn't care much for the Bard in NES version.

If I remember correctly, the NES version has a few job classes that don't even have the "Run" option in their battle commands. I wonder if they fixed that so that all characters had the option to run.

Zeromus_X
11-12-2006, 09:54 PM
I sure hope so! O_o;

Martyr
11-12-2006, 10:18 PM
Why? If you're going to run, use a Thief. The escape command settles the issue there.

Personally, considering FFIV, it'd be a little refreshing to see a Bard who doesn't run or hide or do anything cowardly but actually stands firmly behind his retarded theory that the evil minions of chaos can be fought and defeated with the power of music.

If it wasn't so dumbass, it'd be a beautiful representation of faith in what you believe in, and the true great power of personal art and how it manifests itself to ease the strife of the world.

Zeromus_X
11-12-2006, 10:29 PM
Uh, okay, but I would hope they gave every class the ability to haul behind.

For an example of the amazing uber-powerz of the Bard's newest incarnation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlsG7g8xDbE

Lunadis
11-12-2006, 11:36 PM
Everyone in Final Fantasy III DS can run.

You get the commands of;

Fight
*Class Exclusive Command* (Two may apply if the class can also cast)
Defend
Item
Equip
Change (Row command)
Run

But yes, no one runs better than the thief.

NINJA_Ryu
11-13-2006, 02:03 AM
I dunno, black mage is pretty good at it too :P

I went ot look at the jobs, and i have to say im impressed! Black Knight, Black Belt, Magus, Summoner ftw ^^

feioncastor
11-13-2006, 03:58 AM
Why? If you're going to run, use a Thief. The escape command settles the issue there.

It's only available if I have a Thief in my party, which I probably will for some time, but not the entirity of the game.

I'm just saying that it is possible and too brainwracking to make a party in FF3 that is totally incapable of running from a fight if you want them to. I'm not saying they should give everyone the thief's "Escape" command, I'm saying they should give everyone the "Run" command, or maybe make it like later FF games where you hold the top buttons and they take off, rather than inputting a "run" command. But I guess the holding of the buttons to run only works in battle systems where enemies can attack you while you're just sitting there with your command box open. I think it's called ATB or something.

GenjiEnkil
12-29-2006, 05:34 PM
if you press the L and R buttons, its the same as telling the character to run, so instead of having to go down through the list to run, you can just hit L and R

Demon Lancer
12-29-2006, 06:17 PM
I'm ignoring all the other posts just because I read one that was wrong somthing about 4 level ups being useless... level ups are not useless, I'm pretty sure they level up the same regardless of jobs while class level ups are strictly for job stats,
so switching all your characters to viking might weaken them a little but they would eventually become just as good once you got the job to the same level as thier more mastered class.

It's only available if I have a Thief in my party, which I probably will for some time, but not the entirity of the game.

I'm just saying that it is possible and too brainwracking to make a party in FF3 that is totally incapable of running from a fight if you want them to. I'm not saying they should give everyone the thief's "Escape" command, I'm saying they should give everyone the "Run" command, or maybe make it like later FF games where you hold the top buttons and they take off, rather than inputting a "run" command. But I guess the holding of the buttons to run only works in battle systems where enemies can attack you while you're just sitting there with your command box open. I think it's called ATB or something. I am pretty sure every class has the run command

Citizen Bleys
01-12-2007, 04:29 PM
OK, I'm pretty new to this game, and I never played the Famicom version because I don't like Demi, so you'll have to bear with me.

From what I'm seeing here, there's no penalty to switching jobs as much as you want other than the brief "weak" period (which is easy to get around by changing jobs in an area where the mobs are weak or changing one job at a time.)

However, there are character levels and job levels; If changing jobs is penalty-free aside from the weak period, then doesn't that make the job levels themselves useless? I'm certain there must be a downside to frequent job changes that I'm not seeing here.

smilejb
01-19-2007, 08:59 AM
Well, I'm not sure if there is much of a difference from a level 30 knight and a level 5 knight. But one penalty for not keeping the same class (for mages anyway), is spell effectiveness.

Before I found out that changing jobs to make sure everyone has a nice magic defense was pretty much useless, I found out that my white mage (level 30ish), was healing more with a regular cure than a level one white mage. (The difference was around 100-200 hp). for 30 levels, thats probably not saying much, but maybe if I used something like curaja, there would be a bigger difference.

Also, for spellcasters, the higher job level means more spell casting.

For fighters, I'm not sure but maybe the higher the job level, the more times they swing their weapon? I had a viking that swung his weapon around 10 durring their attack. (yes, i switched this one to be a mage). Then, with my original white mage, I changed him into a viking. (not really neccesary to say, but at the time, vikings had better weapons for me). This new guy only swung his weapon around 5 times per turn.