PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to compress 3GB to 700MB ?

Dreddz
11-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Well....

Dr Unne
11-07-2006, 07:26 PM
Depends on the nature of the data and the compression algorithm you're using. If the file is 3GB worth of 0's followed by a 1, you can compress it down to a few bytes. If the data is totally random, there will be hardly any compression possible. Some compression algorithms do well with English text, some do well with raw binary data. Etc. etc.

Do you want lossy or lossless compression? A DVD worth of video can be compressed down to a few hundred MB if you're OK with a substantial reduction in video quality.

Dreddz
11-07-2006, 07:31 PM
Depends on the nature of the data and the compression algorithm you're using. If the file is 3GB worth of 0's followed by a 1, you can compress it down to a few bytes. If the data is totally random, there will be hardly any compression possible. Some compression algorithms do well with English text, some do well with raw binary data. Etc. etc.

Do you want lossy or lossless compression? A DVD worth of video can be compressed down to a few hundred MB if you're OK with a substantial reduction in video quality.

I need to compress cubase to a 700MB CD. Still possible ?

crono_logical
11-08-2006, 01:51 AM
You'd be far better off trying out yourself with various compression methods (try 7-zip (http://www.7-zip.org/) for example) than with us guessing about some data we don't have a copy of :p

Mirage
11-08-2006, 05:12 AM
Does it have to fit on one CD? Many compressing programs allow you to split the compressed file into smaller pieces, for example two files at 700 MB each.

Rostum
11-11-2006, 01:14 AM
Either split up the files with compression and put them onto multiple CD's (what I did with Cubase SX3), or get a DVD burner (been meaning to get one, but meh).

Because I doubt you'll really get Cubase down to 700mb. =P

Dreddz
11-11-2006, 11:42 PM
Well, Im just going to have to wait for my new DVD burner. My last one broke ( still dont understand why ). But I ordered a new one and should come on Monday. Thanks anyway guys.