PDA

View Full Version : Square-Enix games, over and over again.

feioncastor
11-08-2006, 02:24 AM
Does it bother you that S-E is remaking so many of their older games, mostly Final Fantasy games?

It used to bother me. Back when FF2 was a new game, it was popular, but not as popular as Super Mario World or many other SNES games. I remember being the only person I knew who had played it, other than my brothers.

And I was bothered because when the released FF4 for the GBA, a new crowd of people were playing it, making my little exclusive club much bigger.

But now that I think about it, I'm happy that S-E is re-releasing the excellent games they've released in the past. Final Fantasy 4 is an outstanding game that was a blast to play, and still is whenever I play it, even after all these years. And I'm glad that a whole new group of people are given the opportunity to experience all the fun and experiences that FF4 can offer. Not everyone has an SNES these days, and those who do may not have FF2/4j. It's kinda tough to get a hold of, and when you do, it ususally pricy. A lot of the cartridges in circulatoin are aged and may not even hold a save file.

So by releasing the game on GBA, it's opened up one of the greatest games ever made to a whole new audience, on a system that they actually own.

I am bothered by some of the changes, like the option to change your party for the final battle. I always considered the static party a staple of FF4 that made the game what it was. However, the story and gameplay remains virtually unchanged, excepting a few small things like the party changing and a couple other things. I noticed a lot of the sound effects were slightly different, and that's okay, even though I do think that things like sound effects do define a certain part of the gameplay.

My fear is FF6. That game is, in my opinion, the best game in the Final Fantasy series, and one of the best games ever released. I feel that FF6 has NO room for improvement, as it nears perfection as is. I worry that S-E's re-release may not do justice to the glorious game that I played on SNES, way back then. I'd hate for everyone to play some different version of FF6, and then decide that the original version was inferior in some way. Because it was not inferior, in any way. The PS1 version was very similar to the SNES version, except the horrendous load times that discouraged many gamers. I liked the FMVs and other unlockables.

But I hear they're adding a few things to the GBA version of FF6, and I hope it's minimal and not intrusive onto the excellent game that I've played, many times over.

Zeromus_X
11-08-2006, 02:31 AM
Didn't you make a thread regarding the remakes some time ago? :confused: I feel like I'm reading the same thread over again. :cat:

Anyway, no, it doesn't bother me, I'm very giddy that all these classics are being remade to be shared with the new generation, portable yet. ESPECIALLY FFVI and FFIII, which hasn't been officially released outside of Japan yet (one more week!!).

feioncastor
11-08-2006, 02:57 AM
Yeah, I did make a thread like this, but at that point, I was still all anti-remakes, so it just devolved into an arguments, and as my position has changed a bit, I just wanted to read people's opinions with my current mindset.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-08-2006, 03:24 AM
The GBA versions aren't the definitive versions of the games by any means, so all the extra stuff they add on gameplay-wise doesn't bother me.

Crossblades
11-08-2006, 05:34 PM
The GBA versions aren't the definitive versions of the games by any means, so all the extra stuff they add on gameplay-wise doesn't bother me.

feioncastor
11-09-2006, 12:09 AM

If you use definitive in the sense that a certain version defines the game, these newer versions are definitive to those who haven't played the original versions. When they think of FF4, they may think of fighting Zeromus with Cecil, Yang, Palom, Porom and Kain.

Even so, I think differences like that are quite trivial because the games are so broad. If they re-released FF6 and replaced Locke with Zidane, I'd protest. I guess until it gets that bad, I don't have any real complaints.