PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer 7

ValiantKnight
11-08-2006, 02:56 AM
Windows Update really wants me to download it on my computer and my dad's(whom has automatic updates configured...)

I use IE6.0 sp2 for ... 6% of my browsing.
I use Firefox 1.5.0.7 for 94% of it.

Question being... anyone using IE7?(hmm on this forum.. will I get flamed for asking that :) )
Anyone know if all the bugs are worked out yet?(Microsoft only releases bugfree software I know :) )
Just don't want to throw it on his computer and break it.. since I'm tech support for him and I like as little headaches as possible...

Both of us are behind a Linksys router.
Him = AVG, SpywareBlaster, Adaware, Ewido,
Me = AVG, SpywareBlaster, Adaware, Ewido, Tiny Personal Firewall.

He uses IE6 exclusively almost.. trying to convert, but he likes IE.

Just wondering if there are any major bugs anyone has encountered with it. Also how much different than 6, all I see so far is tabs...

Yes yes, I know.. Microsoft would never release a product that would actually cause crashes/freezes/etc.... never...... no they didn't release service pack 1 for XP and it blue screened a small percentage of the population until it was fixed... :)

Lastly..... is it just me or does IE7 look strangely similar to a certain other browser?

crono_logical
11-08-2006, 03:00 AM
Yes, it looks mostly like a ripoff of another browser, and the interface seems different too - the menu along the top is gone bit like in later Windows media players, which also makes it more annoying. Also be warned that as far as I know, you can't remove it without drastic steps like System Restore :p I haven't used it sufficiently to justify my dislike for it yet though :p

ValiantKnight
11-08-2006, 03:07 AM
/sigh... I like my file menu
Why does Microsoft want to get rid of it soooo bad...
It's gone in new versions of Office for Vista too I think.

Hmm, wonder if I block it on Automatic updates from downloading if I will be able to download it later thru there once its fixed..... Well I could just download it from the site directly too.

Maybe I'll go give Firefox2 a try instead... I don't want to lose my menu bars. I'll just disable the Automatic update entry for IE7... think there was an option to do that last time I looked.

Hmm... well it did hide them, but now it nags that I've got hidden updates that are important :) /sigh... microsoft

Samuraid
11-08-2006, 09:53 AM
IE7 is different, but definitely better than IE6.

However, I strongly recommend using FireFox as the main browser.

Roto13
11-08-2006, 03:10 PM
Does anyone know if IE7 works with the IE Tab extension in FireFox?