PDA

View Full Version : I almost got eaten by a shark

Jigsaw
11-08-2006, 03:22 AM
No joke! I was off the coast doing a little snorklin' (it's never that busy at this time of year) when I saw something at a distance. Now, my eyes weren't really that great, but I was wearing my perscription goggles. I thought what I saw was a fin, so I asked my bud Pete what he thought it was (his eyes are better). He said a fin, so we were like, shoot, this must be some kid playing a joke (we weren't really <i>that</i> far off shore), or maybe a dolphin or something. We didn't really think much of it. Then the fin came closer and I started getting scared. It was coming towards us. Pete tried to look underwater to see what it was down there but the water was too groggy (damn polluters) to see anything. In hindsight we should have just calmly swam back to our boat but who the hell acts calmly when a shark is coming at you? I almost crapped my wetsuit, and trust me, those things are so tight that it would not be pretty. We were frantically trying to get back to the boat, when I cut my leg on a piece of coral or something. I don't even know what it was. I was like, crap, now we're chumming the damn thing. We weren't looking back anymore, just trying to get to the boat.

That brings me to my question, or topic, have you ever been in a frightful life or death situation?

Shoeberto
11-08-2006, 03:25 AM
You're the best, Jigsaw <3

I almost ran into a car last week. As much as I panicked when I slammed the breaks, the other guy made a much goofier face than I'd imagine I did. But yeah it would've totally been my fault for not paying attention.

rubah
11-08-2006, 03:26 AM
wtp. perscription goggles?

Uh, no. I've never been that close to death. Glad you made it through though!

Fire_Emblem776
11-08-2006, 03:49 AM
I got shut in the frezzer for like 10 mins. Thank god i had a think jacket!

DarkLadyNyara
11-08-2006, 03:54 AM
I seriously doubt that the shark was goung to eat you. :D

I got shut in the frezzer for like 10 mins. Thank god i had a think jacket!

How the hell did you get stuck in a freezer?

Decessus
11-08-2006, 04:00 AM
Steel Magnolias.

fire_of_avalon
11-08-2006, 04:01 AM
It must have been a big industrial freezer like in a restaurant or cafeteria.

That's a pretty freaky story, about the shark. My boyfriend has a similar one about man o war jellyfishes. I'm glad I don't swim good.

Shlup
11-08-2006, 04:10 AM
My cousin had a close encounter with a shark. But he kicked it in the nose and it swam away. Left a big gash on the bottom of his foot though.

But, no, I've never been close to death.

Elite Lord Sigma
11-08-2006, 04:20 AM

That's a pretty freaky story, about the shark. My boyfriend has a similar one about man o war jellyfishes. I'm glad I don't swim good.

Wait, you're glad you wouldn't be able to get away from a shark? Or did I interpret that wrong?

And, yes...man o' war jellyfish...giant buggers with 165 foot long tentacles...and they're not even jellyfish...

Warning: If you don't like slightly sickening stories, please don't read what's below this sentence.

Anyway, I've heard of a guy who worked deep underneath the sea for a company. He used a giant water heating hose to keep himself warm. One day, a jellyfish accidentally got pumped into the back of his wetsuit. Not knowing what happened, he began to scratch his rear end because it itched. He managed to get it out.

To add insult to injury, when he reported the incident to his superiors, it was difficult to know what he was supposed to do, because his boss, along with a few other divers, were all laughing hysterically at him, along with the medic who gave him medicine to relieve the injury, which made him unable to go to the bathroom for a week.

Hey, wait a second, wasn't this posted months ago?

Anyway, as for my death-defying experiences, first, I was born five weeks premature. Then I got meningitis as an infant. Also, there was a time where a desk fell off a shelf at a store and crushed me when I was only 2. Luckily, I only suffered a broken collarbone.

Sylvie
11-08-2006, 04:22 AM
When I was 1 year old, I was sitting on kitchen table at my parents store. I fell off. That probably would have killed me, if it wasn't for that man that caught me. I thank that man so much. :)

DarkLadyNyara
11-08-2006, 04:37 AM
Wait, you're glad you wouldn't be able to get away from a shark? Or did I interpret that wrong?

I was assuming it meant she has an excuse to stay out of the water. :D

fire_of_avalon
11-08-2006, 04:38 AM
What I meant was I'm glad I'm such a terrible swimmer that I never would have gone snorkling. :)

Yay DarkLadyNyara for beating me to the punch! xD

Fire_Emblem776
11-08-2006, 05:22 AM

Yes it was. It was for a store, i was stocking, and it shut -_-

Martyr
11-08-2006, 05:32 AM
I drove off a 50 ft cliff once. Smashed up the car, and rolled down a hill.

Luckily, I was wearing my seatbelt, but that's not what saved me. You see, I was about to roll into a rushing river, that would have surely spelt out my demise (rivers in maountain country, icy cold, full of rocky crags and drops and other forms of death... Survival = No Way).

Ironically, there was this fragile little chain link fence along the river wall, and, despite the momentum of my rolling, plummetting vehicle, it held me back, and saved me from icy wet death.

I've also been in those walk in freezers, but for over half an hour and with no jackets or nothing.
I would claim superpowers, but I was working really hard, so I imagine that my body was simply producing a ton of heat which kept me going.

Fire_Emblem776
11-08-2006, 05:39 AM
I drove off a 50 ft cliff once. Smashed up the car, and rolled down a hill.

Luckily, I was wearing my seatbelt, but that's not what saved me. You see, I was about to roll into a rushing river, that would have surely spelt out my demise (rivers in maountain country, icy cold, full of rocky crags and drops and other forms of death... Survival = No Way).

Ironically, there was this fragile little chain link fence along the river wall, and, despite the momentum of my rolling, plummetting vehicle, it held me back, and saved me from icy wet death.

I've also been in those walk in freezers, but for over half an hour and with no jackets or nothing.
I would claim superpowers, but I was working really hard, so I imagine that my body was simply producing a ton of heat which kept me going.

Wow that incredible! But why did you drive off a cliff:confused:

Martyr
11-08-2006, 05:43 AM

You obviously aren't familiar with me or my posts yet.

You see, I'm stupid.
And what's more, I have very bad judgement and instincts.

When I'm speeding 30 miles over the 70 MPH limit in swirvy, unpredictable mountain country, driving a piece of crap. Bulky, hulky, no power steering vehicle, I have a tendency to fishtail off the road.

Problem on that day was that "off-the-road" took on a new meaning from anything I'd ever known before.

Fire_Emblem776
11-08-2006, 05:46 AM

You see, I'm stupid.

When I'm speeding 30 miles over the 70 MPH limit in swirvy, unpredictable mountain country, driving a piece of crap. Bulky, hulky, no power steering vehicle, I have a tendency to fishtail off the road.

Problem on that day was that "off-the-road" took on a new meaning from anything I'd ever known before.

I had no idea 13 year olds had such terrible driving:eek:

Martyr
11-08-2006, 06:00 AM

You see, I'm stupid.

So, when the question comes up in the polls next time, vote for the driving age to be higher. Remember, until then, I'm behind the wheel.

Fire_Emblem776
11-08-2006, 06:06 AM

You see, I'm stupid.

So, when the question comes up in the polls next time, vote for the driving age to be higher. Remember, until then, I'm behind the wheel.

As long as you try to be careful.:p

Little Jane
11-08-2006, 03:28 PM
I know to tap the shark on the nose if it comes at you, the nose is highly sensitive and it usually swims away when you do that...going "oh crap they found my weak spot!"

I almost drowned one while boogie boarding...those waves were huge....hit my head against a rock though underwater

yumi
11-08-2006, 03:34 PM
Lucky I've never been in a near death situation, but my brother had a cardiac arrest while running away from a girl after he stole her shoe.

EDIT:Makes much more sense

Dark Paladin
11-08-2006, 05:15 PM
Lucky I've never been in a near death situation, but my brother had a cardiac arrest while running away from a girl after she stole his shoe.

Why would HE run away from her when she stole his shoe. Surely he'd run after her to get his shoe back.

Jigsaw
11-09-2006, 03:48 AM
I know to tap the shark on the nose if it comes at you, the nose is highly sensitive and it usually swims away when you do that...going "oh crap they found my weak spot!"

I almost drowned one while boogie boarding...those waves were huge....hit my head against a rock though underwater
Oh man I should of tried that. When we got back to the boat Pete tried whapping it with the oar (it was really close by then), but I told him no because I thought that would make it even more angry. Don't worry it was a motor boat so we didn't have to row all the way back, we just had an oar in there.

Oh I forgot a part. We had sped away a good deal (the shark came <i>really</i> close when we had just reached the boat, so yes I do think it would have eaten us DarkLady!) when Pete said he forgot a piece of his scuba gear and wanted to go back to get it. I was like, ARE YOU CRAZY? His rationale was that it cost him 70 bucks for that thing (it was a goggle/mouthpiece set) and he didn't want to buy a new one. I told him I'd pay him 70 bucks to forget about it, but he insisted. It was sentimental or something. So we went back. It was calm when we got back to our spot. Like, death calm. I tell you as I sit here today it was even more eerie than when the shark was chasing us. Picture the water perfectly still (there were some small waves earlier), not a sound except for our breathing and the low hum of our small boat. We looked for the shark but couldn't see anything. At all. Even the horizon was clouded in some fog. We crept up to Pete's gear floating along and got it and then got the hell out of there. Man what a day. I still get shivers typing about it. Sorry to run on like this.

The Shoeless Hobo
11-09-2006, 01:36 PM
A car nearly reversed over me when I was going to the football. :(

ℓσ¢кнαятαиgєℓ
11-09-2006, 04:16 PM
this is no joke. me and my best mate and other mates of ours went to kingston and i was eating a ham wrap and i took a big bite and it got stuck in my throat and i was choking and i was panicing and i couldent breath, and my mate kara went behind me and smacked me in the back and it came back up with throw up. not nice.