PDA

View Full Version : Gears of War....

XxSephirothxX
11-08-2006, 04:43 AM
...smurfing kicks ass. I know there's another thread about it and Resistance, comparing the two, but this game deserves its own thread.

I picked up my copy this evening and played it for about 4 hours, most of that time being spent co-op with a friend. It's absolutely a blast and tense virtually 100% of the time; my back's actually sore because I've been leaning on the edge of my seat for the past few hours. :p

The gameplay does revolve around hopping from one bit of cover to the next, but it never feels like you're just hiding. It works really well and is just as fun as most first person shooters in which you'd run out, guns blazing, without bothering to hide at all. One of the great design elements of the game is the ability to switch between difficulties; you can change from "Casual" to "Hardcore" at any checkpoint. You can also switch from single player to co op in the same way.

The graphics are, of course, fantastic, and there are some subtle touches that really add to the mood, such as the way the camera shakes when you crouch low and run. It feels like a guy with a handycam is running behind you, and the camera bobs up and down just enough to look awesome but not too much to be annoying. The world looks the best off all. The urban areas are simply beautiful, and the art direction is fantastic. Best of all, though, is the ultra-satisfying chainsaw melee attack. When you chop one of the enemies in half, blood shoots out all over the place, half-covering the camera lens and spraying all over the ground. It's just awesome, and seeing it on a big TV screen does it far more justice than anything you'll see in a video on the net.

Anyway, for those of you who don't have the game simply because it's being published by Microsoft, are you planning to pick it up, or have you already? I can't wait to get on Live and try out the multiplayer. Best big guy with guns game ever. :p

RiseToFall
11-08-2006, 04:47 AM
I knew it was going to kick ass. I'm going to be optimistic and say that I'll be getting a 360 soon, with this being my first game for it.

Edit: Hey Azar did you pick up the Collectors Edition of it? If so, is it worth picking up?

Yamaneko
11-08-2006, 06:27 AM
Can't get it until Friday when I get paid. :(

The Shoeless Hobo
11-08-2006, 07:09 AM
I have to wait until the 23rd, when it is released in my country. :(

escobert
11-08-2006, 10:02 AM
My freinds picking his preorder up today :D Can't wait to play it! I'll be getting it whenever I get a 360 :p

JKTrix
11-08-2006, 01:38 PM
Darn my slow country. Then again, we got FF12 last thursday, which is pretty darn fast for where I live. Maybe I'll be lucky with this game.

XxSephirothxX
11-08-2006, 04:08 PM
I knew it was going to kick ass. I'm going to be optimistic and say that I'll be getting a 360 soon, with this being my first game for it.

Edit: Hey Azar did you pick up the Collectors Edition of it? If so, is it worth picking up?
I didn't. It's probably got some nice stuff with it, but since Microsoft released Gears of War's standard edition at 60 bucks instead of 50 like first party titles were supposed to cost, I didn't really want to pay seventy dollars for a special edition. Halo 3 is probably the only game I'll be willing to spend over 60 dollars on. :p

escobert
11-08-2006, 08:49 PM
Damn shipping delay! So my buddy has to wait until tomorrow, which sucks.

Spammerman
11-08-2006, 08:52 PM
This game makes me want a xbox 360.

Dreddz
11-08-2006, 09:02 PM
Its looks like a good game, and I do have a 360, but it may only be worth a rental. It seems like the game I could beat in a weekend. I dont think Ive ever had any long-term value with an action game.

RiseToFall
11-08-2006, 10:19 PM
Its looks like a good game, and I do have a 360, but it may only be worth a rental. It seems like the game I could beat in a weekend. I dont think Ive ever had any long-term value with an action game.

From what I've heard it's about 8 hours for the single player campaign. At the same time though, the fact it includes co-op is a huge plus. I'm not big on online play, in terms of versus, but I would love to play this game with my brother/buddies with the co-op feature.

XxSephirothxX
11-08-2006, 11:43 PM
Yeah, I've already beaten it--it's definitely short. But I knew that going in. Halo 2 had a 10 or 12 hour campaign, but I've probably played through it half a dozen times, and Gears of War will be just as fun to replay. Hardcore mode has some pretty tight spots as you progress towards the end of the game, so I beat it on casual and will have to go back to finish it on Hardcore.

Then there's the multiplayer: I only played a few rounds and got my ass handed to me, so I'm looking forward to sinking my teeth into that. Hopefully some of my friends will pick it up so I can play with them online. The co-op mode is an absolute blast, and 4-on-4 online will probably be even better. Unless you don't like Live, it's worth the purchase.

Elite Lord Sigma
11-09-2006, 03:30 AM
Now, as for the general consensus...

GameSpot: 9.6/10 (Editor's Choice)
GamePro: 4.75/5
1Up: 10/10
TotalVideoGames: 9/10
Eurogamer: 8/10
GameSpy: 5/5
IGN: 9.4/10
Play Magazine: 10/10
PopCultureShock: A+
360 Gamer Magazine UK: 8/10
Game Informer: 9.5/10
Xbox 360 Advanced: 9.6/10
GameBrink: 97/100
GameTrailers: 9.1/10
Official XBOX Magazine UK: 9/10
TeamXBOX: 9.6/10
Daily Game: 9/10
Yahoo! Games: 4.5/5
Games Radar: 10/10
Compute and Video Games UK: 9/10
Metacritic: 94/100

So yeah, this will be one of the first games I'm picking up whenever I get my hands on a 360.

JKTrix
11-10-2006, 12:17 PM
Got it.

Holy crap.

Awesome.

JaytodaP
11-11-2006, 03:46 AM
Holy hell I have only 25 dollars....... WHY OH WHY DID I BLOW 50 DOLLARS ON MS POINTS??? DAMN DAMN DAMN! I wish i were old enough for a job. Everyone on my friends list has it but me. arrrrrggggghhhh. My friends are so rich, they all got 4 games from there parents for their report cards which are straight c's. I get straight a's and all I get is a pat on the back. Idea: I must annoy my dad SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much that he cant take it anymore and buys me it. I'll feel guilty but it looks pretty worth it........ Im getting tired of beating Resident Evil DS.

Yamaneko
11-11-2006, 06:36 AM
This game is good. Very good in fact.

We all need to get online at the same time.

XxSephirothxX
11-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Bring it on, Yams. :cool: I've been getting my butt handed to me online quite a bit the last few days. :p I'd love to play some this weekend, though I've got a sore throat that may inhibit talking.

Yamaneko
11-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Yeah, I haven't tried any ranked matches yet. It's been pretty funny to see people online playing with the Halo mentality of running and gunning. It's fun to pick those people off with a sniper rifle. :D

Duncan
11-11-2006, 10:30 PM
Call me an old fuddy-duddy but this game really deserves an M rating. I've played a lot of violent shooters in the past but this is one of the first ones that I've seen where the gore/violence actually makes me not want to play it. I think the combination of the realistic graphics with the gore level in this game is disturbing. If this is the direction that shooters are going then count me out.

Yamaneko
11-11-2006, 11:14 PM
It is rated M. I don't know what you expected. Epic has been showing us blood and guts for a year now.

Dreddz
11-11-2006, 11:19 PM
Gears Of War looks violent, but it dosent look like a shocker. For it to be shocking it would have to surpass games like Manhunt, which is hard even for the sickest minded people.

Shoeberto
11-11-2006, 11:27 PM
It is rated M. I don't know what you expected. Epic has been showing us blood and guts for a year now.
Wait, this isn't Epic's third installment in their pivotal Jazz Jackrabbit series?

Duncan
11-12-2006, 01:18 AM

True, but this rendering engine is capable of much more life-like images which is why I find it a bit more disturbing. I guess my point is that extreme games have always been out there like Postal and Manhunt, but they aren't very realistic looking, whereas GoW brings (IMO) a distrubing level of nasty-ness to a more mainstream shooter.

I Took the Red Pill
11-12-2006, 01:54 AM

True, but this rendering engine is capable of much more life-like images which is why I find it a bit more disturbing. I guess my point is that extreme games have always been out there like Postal and Manhunt, but they aren't very realistic looking, whereas GoW brings (IMO) a distrubing level of nasty-ness to a more mainstream shooter.And that's why it's rated M. Would you rather have a choppy looking game where the enemies are cardboard cutouts? Yeah, let's just forget the power of the 360, it makes games look way too real.

JaytodaP
11-12-2006, 01:55 AM
Okay everybody here, I finally got this and updated my xbl subscription, for those of you that don't know, my gamertag is Itz Jake. Bring it on!!!

XxSephirothxX
11-12-2006, 06:01 AM
Well, Yams and I played online for about an hour with a few other people, and it was quite a fun experience. It's a lot of fun; much better when you have people to chat with and plan coordinated assaults. JKTrix was around for one game, but he vanished afterwards. :( Anyway, lots of fun all around. Hope to do it more often. :D

Markus. D
11-12-2006, 06:14 AM
from what I have seen, it looks brilliant innovation wise :3

but to Gory for my like. ._."

Yamaneko
11-12-2006, 08:04 AM
Nothing is more satisfying than tearing someone apart with a chainsaw. Curb stomp comes close. :D

JKTrix
11-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Yeah, last night was fun.

I actually recall an option that toggles 'Extreme Mode' on and off. The default it on, but i haven't tried turning it off yet. It says something to the effect of 'turn off extreme gore and language'. I'll try it when I get back from my military event this morning.

Is Monday a holiday for you all too?

Spammerman
11-12-2006, 03:15 PM
Nothing is more satisfying than tearing someone apart with a chainsaw. Curb stomp comes close. :D

Yea. Whats curb stomp?

XxSephirothxX
11-12-2006, 05:37 PM
Never seen American History X? ;) If your opponent is down but not dead, you can curb stomp them, aka crush their head against the ground with your foot. :p

Spammerman
11-12-2006, 05:42 PM
oooook. Got It.

Cruise Control
11-12-2006, 05:51 PM
xD I knew a curb-stomp would come up.

JaytodaP
11-12-2006, 08:05 PM
I played online with you guys too. It's pretty fun online. Nothing beats blowing people to bits with a BoomShot or Shotgun.

Nino Brown
11-13-2006, 09:58 PM
I played it at Cid's house last week for like 5 minutes.

I'll be picking it up rather soon.

Yamaneko
11-14-2006, 12:41 AM
You should post your gamertag in the gamertag thread, Nino.

Nino Brown
11-14-2006, 06:46 AM
I haven't set up my Xbox Live account on my 360 yet.

But once I do, I'll post it up.

Devourment
01-05-2007, 10:37 AM
Sorry, I don't know what they hype is about..! I really don't think GoW is that good. Fine it might look nice visually, but the gamply is boring & reminds me of Time Crisis, the colours are dull & there's not much variety.

I found Quake 4 to be much more enjoyable than GoW.

Madame Adequate
01-05-2007, 02:10 PM
True, but this rendering engine is capable of much more life-like images which is why I find it a bit more disturbing. I guess my point is that extreme games have always been out there like Postal and Manhunt, but they aren't very realistic looking, whereas GoW brings (IMO) a distrubing level of nasty-ness to a more mainstream shooter.

... GoW isn't even close to unpleasant. Maybe I'm desensitized *Shrugs* Nothing even made me blink.

So I was playing it with my good pal Michael the other day, now that we've finished Hardcore we've started on Insane. So we're both taking cover shooting the Locust to bits, when one wiseguy gets up close and charges over the wall. So we both turn on our chainsaws. And he jumps over in between the two of us. And we both chainsaw him at the same time. It was glorious beyond words :jess: