PDA

View Full Version : What went Right?

Wolf Kanno
11-08-2006, 09:31 AM
To counter the "What went Wrong" thread I felt the need to start a thread about what musicians, do you feel have actually gotten better.

I would have to say the Gorillaz. Their first album (I'm not counting the remix albums) was an album I both loved and hated. It was very experimental but I found that I only liked half the album and I loathed the other half. Then Demon Days got released and I checked it out. I ended up loving almost every song. The album is still somewhat experimental and yet a little more cohesive. It's a little less "angry" but it's still got that sarcastic wit about modern pop culture. It's matured in a good way.

Captain Maxx Power
11-08-2006, 12:03 PM
I believe Lacuna Coil have gotten better over the years, as have Taproot.

Xander
11-08-2006, 01:08 PM
Hmm Belle and Sebastian, Of Montreal. Though actually Belle and Sebastian were *always* wonderful pretty much, but their latest album is maybe the most polished and accessible at least. I think they have continued going right anyway. <3 them. Of Montreal too. Some people would prefer their old stuff but you always get those people. I think they've done some really interesting stuff and their latest albums are the best. Again, kinda more polished and accessible I'd describe it. I'm still looking forward to checking out more of their old albums I haven't done yet.

But yes. These two bands can do no wrong :heart:

Polaris
11-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Placebo! :love: and Gorillaz too, 'DARE' is amazing but I love them already even though that didn't stop them to improve!

charliepanayi
11-08-2006, 06:43 PM
The obvious choice for me is Radiohead - there's virtually no indication on their debut Pablo Honey where they'd go over the next four or five albums, jumping to The Bends and then to OK Computer and then to Kid A (hell, even Kid A came as a surprise to a lot of people).

Also Super Furry Animals are a band I feel have improved with each album.

BarelySeeAtAll
11-08-2006, 07:28 PM
i would say evanescence, im so much more into them now, and bls, well, anyone grungey/gothy/emo, whatever

Shoeberto
11-08-2006, 10:11 PM
The obvious choice for me is Radiohead - there's virtually no indication on their debut Pablo Honey where they'd go over the next four or five albums, jumping to The Bends and then to OK Computer and then to Kid A (hell, even Kid A came as a surprise to a lot of people).
Totally.

Also in agreement on the Gorillaz thing. Their self-titled album took a bit to grow on to me, but Demon Days was just an immediate hit.

Wheatus is another good example. Their first album was okay, but was also lacking in a lot of areas. With Suck Fony and Too Soon Monsoon, however, they really improved in their songwriting, making a lot more cohesive and interesting songs.

Thrice should be mentioned, too. Artist in the Ambulance was at best catchy and at worst too screamy. They came back with Vheissu, though, and showed a lot of talent, exploring all kinds of sounds.

The last one I can think of is Brand New. Your Favorite Weapon was pretty bland (the band themselves even admitted to this), but man, they struck back big time with Deja Entendu. The difference in quality between the two albums is amazing.

Lindy
11-08-2006, 10:26 PM
The last one I can think of is Brand New. Your Favorite Weapon was pretty bland (the band themselves even admitted to this), but man, they struck back big time with Deja Entendu. The difference in quality between the two albums is amazing.
Brand New's Your Favourite Weapon was basically carbon-copied by Taking Back Sunday, down to even taking some of the lyrics from Brand New songs for use in theirs. Brand New deviated, but TBS got stuck in the same style; it's kind of a shame.

Anyway uhh...

Hundred Reasons, fo' sho', they started with a fantastic album, Ideas Above Our Station, but seriously dipped when they released Shatterproof is Not A Challenge, but their latest album Kill Your Own trounces both by a freakin' mile or more.

The Reindeer Section's Son of Evil Reindeer was far superior to Y'all Get Scared Now Ya Hear, but that could be put down to the fact that the artists had already worked together on an album and were given more time and production, so a more fluid product was the result.

Oh and The All-American Rejects second album was freakin' badass compared to the first one, less whine, more fun, all out musical goodness.

I Took the Red Pill
11-08-2006, 10:32 PM
I'd have to say The Wallflowers. Bringing Down the Horse was far superior to The Wallflowers (self-title) in my opinion, and some of the subsequent albums could be argued to be better than Bringing Down the Horse.

Mitch
11-08-2006, 10:45 PM
The Datsuns just keep getting better and better. The new album shows a lot of progression from the older stuff (though it all rocks my socks)

I Don't Need A Name
11-08-2006, 10:58 PM
Jimmy Eat World seemed to discover something, from the days of albums such as Jimmy Eat World and Static Prevails (Clarity was pretty good) they developed a more Rock sound, and created some amazing albums such as Bleed America (renamed to a 2nd self titled album) and Futures.

New Found Glory have also made many steps, from squeeky lead vocals on From The Screen To Your Stereo, NFG and Sticks and Stones, to a developing, more mature voice on Coming Home.

Finally, lostprophets have made a move upwards, from the basis of The Fake Sound Of Progress, and away from the metal+partial screamo from Start Something (despite being an ace album) into the sound of Liberation Transmition

Mythra
11-09-2006, 02:19 AM
I would have to say Breaking Benjamin, Trivium and Children of Bodom (just to name a few) all got better as they released more and more albums. Now don't get me wrong, I love the early stuff of those bands just as much as their newer material, I just think their "sound" got better as time went on and their experience grew.

NorthernChaosGod
11-09-2006, 10:18 PM
I would have to say Breaking Benjamin, Trivium and Children of Bodom (just to name a few) all got better as they released more and more albums. Now don't get me wrong, I love the early stuff of those bands just as much as their newer material, I just think their "sound" got better as time went on and their experience grew.

Blasphemy!

They sound too industrial now. :(