PDA

View Full Version : What do the stats do?

Martyr
11-08-2006, 07:31 PM
This is solely for FF1 NES.

I want to make that clear, even though I'll have to tell you which version I'm using again and again anyway.

You see, usually I don't care much about the stats. They obviously do something because the characters get stronger as they level, and I've never worried too much if, say, a Fighter missed a point in intelligence on one level.

But now I'm soloing a Thief, and I want to make sure that I get the stat points that I need for each level.

So here's my guesses. You tell me if I'm wrong.

Strength: Increases attack damage
Agility: Increases hit rate and %
Intelligence: No clue. Magic damage numbers are predetermined.
Vitality: Increases HP per level? (Again, HP increases heavy on particular levels, not all of them, so I'm not sure about this either.)
Luck: Crit and Close Call % Up.

Am I right? Is there more that I need to know? Is there less to it? Am I wrong? Let me know.

Thanks.

ValiantKnight
11-08-2006, 08:30 PM
I don't remember specifics... but I do remember strength increasing damage or I thought, and int having very little effect on magic or none at all.

When solo leveling, is a good idea to make sure you get the max HP at level up(there is a 1-6 hp per level up and at certain levels a +25 bonus.. or so I remember reading).

Agi... I can't honestly remember reading it helped anything. I thought your hit rate leveled independent of agi...
same for luck and vit as far as I know.

The general point though is that those stats have very little effect or hardly noticeable effect in this version, where they have much larger effects in DoS.

However Unne would probably be the one to ask specifically for facts. :)

Martyr
11-08-2006, 08:52 PM
I checked out GameFaqs.

It said that strength afects damage, Agility does evade, INT and Luck are unmentioned and probably bogis, and Vitality affects HP gain, but it'd have to be pretty high to make any real big difference.

Flying Mullet
11-08-2006, 09:44 PM
What stat (or is it level) is used to determine the success of status inducing spells like sleep?

Black Mage FF1
11-08-2006, 11:18 PM
I checked out GameFaqs.

It said that strength afects damage, Agility does evade, INT and Luck are unmentioned and probably bogis, and Vitality affects HP gain, but it'd have to be pretty high to make any real big difference.

Int does nothing. But luck increase your chance of running. Only after it gets to 15 or higher though. And you also need to be in the 1st or 2nd slot for it to work.

What FAQ did you check at gamefaqs? I suggest patbuns (or something like that), if you havent looked at it already.

Da_Macster
11-09-2006, 01:06 AM
Strength: Increases Natural Damage
Agility: Increases Natural Evade
Intelligence: I think that Int. Increases spell accurcay on Status/Death Spells...
Vitality: Honestly, I dont know what it does... Hp gain depends on the player class.
Luck: Better chance to run away, but im not sure about Cricital Hit %... I think Cricitals are based on Hit%

Hit% seems to be scripted and increases little by little as it goes on...

Multiple hits depends on Class and their level.

High and Low Hp gains is somepart scripted and somepart chance. On some levels you always get a High Hp gain while some others you always get a low hp gain. The rest is Chance Where you can get one or the other... This has nothing to do with vitality, but rather actual luck (Not in game luck).

I know this because I tried the "restart if no High hp gain" trick. Some parts that happens

Stats are completely randomized unless your a certain class. ie. Fighters always get S, Thief's L, Black's V, Mages I. The Red Mage however, is the only one that has all 5 stats randomized but always gets at least one type of stat per level.

Captain Maxx Power
11-09-2006, 11:48 AM
Strength increases your attack stat by 1 point for every 2 Strength points. Agility increases your evasion by 1 point per Agility point. Intelligence quite literally does nothing. Every single spell has a set chance to hit/damage range. Vitality increses the number of HP you gain on levelling up for every 4 points in Vitality. Luck is used to help you run in battle.

ReloadPsi
11-09-2006, 03:32 PM
Hooray for GUESSWORK!

Strength: Self-explanatory: How good you are at battering things.

Intelligence: Given that, as you say, magic numbers are pre-determined, my guess would be that a higher INT causes the pre-determined numbers to be more likely to fall into the higher ranges. Fire does 10-40 damage, so a higher INT would probably increase the chance of it doing 30+.

Agility: How good you are at running away, as well as dodging attacks.

Luck: Critical Hits improved. That's it. Every FF game. Just critical hits. Not even how well you steal, what Chocobos you encounter, how weak/strong enemies will be. Just critical hits. That seems ironic, because that implies your character is actually a sucky fighter and only reaches his potential by fluke. Oh well.

Vitality: How much damage you receive. Higher VIT, less damage. And HP is random according to class; on alternating levels you get a big boost then a small one. That's it.

Martyr
11-09-2006, 04:30 PM
Strength increases your attack stat by 1 point for every 2 Strength points. Agility increases your evasion by 1 point per Agility point. Intelligence quite literally does nothing. Every single spell has a set chance to hit/damage range. Vitality increses the number of HP you gain on levelling up for every 4 points in Vitality. Luck is used to help you run in battle.

Holy cow, you're brilliant!

I was trying so hard to figure out how to put "Strength increases damage by 1the amount equal to toal strength divided by two, etc...

Everything was algebra, but those numbers all fit, and they make so much sense it's mind bogglingly simple.

Thanks. I think I should work on levelling my Vitality then.

Da_Macster
11-09-2006, 11:17 PM

Holy cow, you're brilliant!

I was trying so hard to figure out how to put "Strength increases damage by 1the amount equal to toal strength divided by two, etc...

Everything was algebra, but those numbers all fit, and they make so much sense it's mind bogglingly simple.

Thanks. I think I should work on levelling my Vitality then.

He's defentenly right about strength, no question about that...

However, he is false on agility. There seems to be no basic reason on how the evasion % works...

Vitality... is logicital..... I might test this theory out...

Int.... After looking at my Solo Thief Journal, I almost thought that it was tied with Hit%! 3*44 (Int points) + Weapon hit% + 1 (Default Weapon Hit%....?), but after review on my Black Mage Journal and Red Mage Journal... This is false...

Int, I still think has something to do with Spell "Accurcay"... Or maybe even preven magic damage (Like MBlock), or both, or nothing at all...

Luck, Everybody knows has to do with run, but does it also reflect on Cricital hits too?

Natural Evade and Hit% dosent seem to depend on stats... Honestly I think it depends on level and type of class... OR Some very advance math (Ie. Evade= Agi x (Int/Str) Squared)....

Fire_Emblem776
11-10-2006, 05:45 AM
You could always ask Dr.Une

ljkkjlcm9
11-10-2006, 12:39 PM
don't worry about "missing" any stat points at level up. The only thing you may "miss" is the max HP upgrade at level. Every other stat upgrade is predetermined that such and such a level will increase such stats. Certain levels are also determined to have major HP upgrades.

THE JACKEL

Martyr
11-10-2006, 10:33 PM
The amount of hits is definitely detemrined by character level.

So, with Thief, anybody know when I'll hit 3 and 4 times? Or does it stop at two?
Any ideas?

Captain Maxx Power
11-10-2006, 10:46 PM
However, he is false on agility. There seems to be no basic reason on how the evasion % works...

Base evade rate is 48 + Agility - Armour Penalties. Very much a "basic reason".

Int.... After looking at my Solo Thief Journal, I almost thought that it was tied with Hit%! 3*44 (Int points) + Weapon hit% + 1 (Default Weapon Hit%....?), but after review on my Black Mage Journal and Red Mage Journal... This is false...

Int, I still think has something to do with Spell "Accurcay"... Or maybe even preven magic damage (Like MBlock), or both, or nothing at all...

Hit% is based upon your character level and equipment, nothing else. It differs from character to character. For example, Fighters gain 3% per level. You also gain bonuses from various weapons.

As I mentioned above, spells have a base chance to hit/damage range that is defined in each of their code sections. Characters do have a Magic Defense stat, but again this is based purely upon class and level.

Luck, Everybody knows has to do with run, but does it also reflect on Cricital hits too?

That one I can't answer because no one seems to know the answer. I believe however that Luck doesn't affect the chance to critical hit.

Natural Evade and Hit% dosent seem to depend on stats... Honestly I think it depends on level and type of class... OR Some very advance math (Ie. Evade= Agi x (Int/Str) Squared)....

Close, but no where near as complicated. See above for the lowdown on both Hit% and Evade%.

While I'm here I may as well mention the Black Belt/Master, who is a special case when it comes for many of his stats. Firstly, his Strength only affects his damage when he has a weapon equipped. If he is unarmed his damage is his character level doubled. Secondly, the number of hits he can do whilst unarmed is double that of other classes (Basically 2 + (Hit% / 16) ). Thirdly, his absorb is meant to be equal to his level. However entering the equipment screen will remove this bonus until the next time he levels up due to a bug. This of course produces a problem in any party since you have to access the armour screen quite regularly, hence why the BB/Master takes so much guff.

The amount of hits is definitely detemrined by character level.

So, with Thief, anybody know when I'll hit 3 and 4 times? Or does it stop at two?
Any ideas?

Thieves have a base Hit% of 5 + (2 * Clvl). To get 3 hits you would need a base level of 30 in order to get 3 hits. To get 4 you'd need a base level of 46. Of course you can equip different weapons to help towards this. Once you've become a Ninja and are packing the Ninja's "best" weapon (we won't include Masamune in this since you're better off shoving it on a Mage so they can do half decent damage) the Katana, that will add 35% to your hit%. With that added on you'd be able to hit 3 hits at Level 16 (although you'd obviously be long past this once you've class changed) and 4 hits at Level 32.

Da_Macster
11-10-2006, 11:29 PM
Yep, all of maxx's theroy's is correct...

Anyways about your thief question, I cant remember when I got 3 hits.... but I got 4 hits at level 39....