PDA

View Full Version : Game Programmer's Out There?

zimdoomyday
11-09-2006, 02:46 AM
Anyone besides me like to make games on the side of being a total Square fanboy? I suck at it, but I still try. While I can only do stuff like tetris right now, it's a lot more work than people think about. No wonder they take 2-4 years to make one game, even at a cheap quality it takes just me like a month to make one (while going to school and doing other things though). For those of you out there, I wanna know, what language do you use, and what kind of stuff can you do? I'm a C++ guy, but I'm learning VB.NET. (Although....I hate .NET...fugg you microsoft!)

o_O
11-09-2006, 06:42 AM
I've made a few games in Java and C. Just silly arcade games; Space Invaders clones and stuff like that.

I've also done a little bit of 3D modelling, but never anything decent enough to bother making a game with it. :p

vorpal blade
11-09-2006, 07:23 AM
I made a rock paper schissors game for Excel that I turned into a r.p.s. style fighting game. I'm currently working onversion 3, which'll allow the player to chose from 2 players and two opponents (four combinations). I'm also gonna try for a two player mode. Extremely simple (for the most part) yet still fun to play for some reason.

Rantz
11-09-2006, 01:54 PM
I make flash games (http://www.pontushorn.com/flash) :bigsmile:

Owen Macwere
11-09-2006, 02:40 PM
I am still learning to do that, I use Visual basic quiet fun and easy.

bipper
11-09-2006, 02:47 PM
I made a 2d sprite driven MMO style game called Nhaven2d about 5 years ago. I had to take it down cause java security is a bit lapse, and could not offer a more robust and safe methodology for getting what I wanted. I also had a cluster of different MUDS up a while back, which I liked a bit better than the current graphical solutions.

Currently, I am slowly piecing together a sweet 3d game with some nice little graphics - though I am no artist :(. I use C++ with the OpenGL libs, Blender3d for some 3d work, openFX for effects, audacity for sounds, and gimp for skins. Its all free, and relatively easy to use. The programming is by far the hardest part for most, but being a programmer ~ I am kinda seasoned to the work. But yea, I hope to get my site for the game, as well as an eoff post up as soon as I get this demo wrapped up.

I can safely say that VB is a decent approach for games, and it IS used by quite a few developers. though Visual C is used by most. I actually went the C++/OpenGL route so I could release games on a linux box as well, and develop on my linux boxes.

Bipper