PDA

View Full Version : I want to be a good regular again.

Shaun
11-09-2006, 03:57 PM
You heard right. I am positive there were some people who liked my posts here quite a few months back and I'm sure I was a good regular at this community then. I've realised how much of a pompous asshole I've been lately though. I guess it's because I've been honest lately and been myself. The reality is, I'm not a very chatty person and my opinions are quite limited, which triggers the negative responses in so many threads.

Before any CKs feel their trigger finger twitching with the cursor over the lock icon because this is on a personal note or because it doesn't have a specific topic, this thread is here for a good cause. So hear me out. A lot of bad stuff has happened in my life lately, and many days I've been pretty pissed off, so sorry if I acted like an idiot in anybody's thread. (I prefer the words 'berk' and 'moron' personally.)

If anybody liked my posts here those months back (before anyone says nobody liked my posts, I have proof), I would like to know what they liked about the way I used to post. I am trying to improve every aspect of my life right now. Sometimes I feel it's a losing battle, but I think being a better poster at this, and other communities, and being positively acknowledged for it will be one small step out of many, which will make a huge change in my life.

So, what do you want to see in Shaun v2? Remember, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Or PM it if you have to, but don't post it in here.

Edit: Oh yeah, I don't want to be a good regular for the sake of the bigots who closed that poor member's thread. I want to be a good member for the actual decent members here.

Sergeant Hartman
11-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Starting over fresh seems like a good idea to me.

Shaun
11-09-2006, 04:06 PM
I'd be banned if I created a second user account. I use similar IPs so they'd know. If that's what you meant, I'm not doing that.

Nasarian Altimeros
11-09-2006, 04:09 PM
Calling the moderators bigots seems like a good start imho

Agent Proto
11-09-2006, 04:09 PM
Just be yourself dood. Not like anyone really cares if you sounded mean. More like they need to face reality once in awhile. Quite frankly, if you want to post, then post. If you feel that what you want to say will not add anything constructive to the thread, then don't post. No one here is forcing you to post a certain way.

Shlup
11-09-2006, 04:12 PM
Dear Shaun,

No one really cares. Just chillax.

Sincerily,
The Management

P.S. Thowing the word "bigot" around makes you suck.

Shaun
11-09-2006, 04:16 PM
Proto, I can see where you're coming from but I know my posting style was preferred as opposed to how it is now. Hey, bigot was an example of how I am now. I posted my thoughts. A bigot is primarily someone who is prejudiced. Obviously, to close that thread and leave the poor soul with so many harsh posts has got to involve some form of prejudice. So, I reach my conclusion. Of course, a post like that shouldn't exist, but cut him some slack, will you?

ShlupQuack. Likewise, I don't care what you think.

Lindy
11-09-2006, 04:17 PM
I've realised how much of a pompous asshole I've been <s>lately though</s> since I joined the forums.
Fix'd.

oddler
Berk. /em goes to find a definition.

I've got a feeling this is going to be closed anyway. :( Getting attacked on a personal level is pretty much what happens on a forum because you post your personal thoughts on subjects; getting ridiculed is practically inevitable because everyone has different opinions. However, if that was an apology, then I accept - even though I may or may not know exactly what you're talking about.

But good job with the humility. :up:

Shaun
Gee, thanks Lindy...

As for oddler... *types reply*

I disagree with you, oddler. I post on a forum where there is zero prejudice, and everyone is friendly. The only thing I dislike about that forum is their opinions and thoughts are about as narrow as mine, and it's not very active. But otherwise, I love everything about that forum. I post here because there is variety, but unfortunately, a few negative 'bonuses' in the package.

Nasarian Altimeros
11-09-2006, 04:22 PM
I post on a forum where there is zero prejudice, and everyone is friendly.
Give me the URL to the forum and 24 hours.

Shaun
11-09-2006, 04:24 PM
I am not giving you the URL to the forum, because it's very personal and I think some people would just like to go in there and flame everyone. Giving any decent forum's URL away in an EoFF topic is suicidal.

Lindy
11-09-2006, 04:28 PM
I bet it's http://forums.vnunet.com/index.jspa

bipper
11-09-2006, 04:28 PM
Starting over fresh seems like a good idea to me.

Taht is too verbose for your average post. I was expecting more of a :

EAT YOUR FIBER!

Shaun
11-09-2006, 04:30 PM

Eh? No, it isn't related to geekdom at all.

Nasarian Altimeros
11-09-2006, 04:31 PM
I was thinking that, but he only has 3 posts there.

Shaun
11-09-2006, 04:34 PM
Precisely. Good luck on your eternal hunt.

Old Manus
11-09-2006, 04:36 PM
Dear Shaun,

No one really cares. Just chillax.

Sincerily,
The Managementqft

XxSephirothxX
11-09-2006, 04:38 PM
I don't think it's very hard to be a good member of a forum. Don't be obnoxious, don't be insulting, maybe try to form a few friendships with people you feel a connection with. I'm not saying you were obnoxious or insulting before, just that those are things to avoid. We have Lindy around to do all the insulting, after all. :p It would be cruel to try to take over his job.

Shaun
11-09-2006, 04:38 PM
Azar, that's some good advice. I try not to be insulting but I guess it can be perceived differently. Thanks, that's what I'm looking for here.

OT: Ugh, great. Now I've searched my own name and found a newspaper article with my GCSE results on it, but at the time when the stupid examining board marked my four-GCSE paper incorrectly...

Lindy
11-09-2006, 04:42 PM
Yeah, I saw that, you failed pretty damn hard Shauny boy.

Shaun
11-09-2006, 04:43 PM
Quiet, you. I have eight Cs and above. Anyway, let's get back on topic, shall we?

Lindy
11-09-2006, 04:46 PM
Oh but the topic is you, so why shouldn't we take advantage of it?

http://www.halo-tfor.vze.com/ is pretty funny.

Quindiana Jones
11-09-2006, 04:47 PM
Mentioning badgers at least twice in every post makes you cool.

oddler
11-09-2006, 04:52 PM
Gee, thanks Lindy...

As for oddler... *types reply*

I disagree with you, oddler. I post on a forum where there is zero prejudice, and everyone is friendly. The only thing I dislike about that forum is their opinions and thoughts are about as narrow as mine, and it's not very active. But otherwise, I love everything about that forum. I post here because there is variety, but unfortunately, a few negative 'bonuses' in the package.

But I said that it was "practically inevitable because everyone has different opinions". If everyone has the same opinions then of course there can be no prejudice. That would be pretty hypocritical.

Shaun
11-09-2006, 04:52 PM

Oh God. Someone delete that. I was never working on that fan-game. You're just trying to avoid the fact you can't find that forum.

p.s. The scary part is, I thought you were a girl until now.

Mentioning badgers at least twice in every post makes you cool.

You're reminding me of that stupid Badger Badger Badger flash movie. :greenie: Not cool. Anyway, don't blame me for getting off-topic. Can we return to the topic at hand now?

But I said that it was "practically inevitable because everyone has different opinions". If everyone has the same opinions then of course there can be no prejudice. That would be pretty hypocritical.

Everybody has an opinion. I was saying, the good part is they don't express any prejudice. They're not like that. I doubt they have much prejudice in them if any. They're decent people. There are decent people here, but not enough of them.

Lindy
11-09-2006, 04:59 PM

Oh God. Someone delete that. I was never working on that fan-game. You're just trying to avoid the fact you can't find that forum.

p.s. The scary part is, I thought you were a girl until now.
Good things come to those who wait.

http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/image.php?u=19523&dateline=1161725916
You take a really bad photo =/

Shaun
11-09-2006, 05:00 PM
Whoa whoa whoa, I know that's a bad photo. Sheesh. Give me your full name and I'll find something good.

Edit: Just for the sake of countering Lindy, I have better photos. It's not particularly great, but until you post your photo, you can't say anything regarding it.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/7218/meja8.jpg

Lindy
11-09-2006, 05:04 PM
As much as you'd think that'd come up with something, I'm not retarded enough to attach my full name to intarwebz information, so you'd find nothing XD

Oddly enough, there's someone with my exact name living in Stockport too.

EDIT : lawlz, that picture is even worse than first one, it's like ceiling cat is taking the picture. Get a haircut, ya hippy.

Shaun
11-09-2006, 05:06 PM
o.O' I'm moving out of this town, and FAST! Honestly, I don't think adding your prejudice to your posts is going to help you either. You're only not posting your photo because you know I'm right. I'm not saying my photos are great, but I'm proving that you're a complete coward.

XxSephirothxX
11-09-2006, 05:08 PM
You know there are photos of Lindy on this site? Or there used to be, at any rate. He's not hiding. :p

fire_of_avalon
11-09-2006, 05:08 PM
One thing you could start doing is being more direct about the things that bother you, but do it in a polite way. I have no idea what you're on about concerning closed threads and harsh comments and what not, but if you have a problem with something staff does, use the Threads involving the Staff forum to talk about. Personally, I don't appreciate being called a bigot for something I'm not even aware of.

Another thing I've noticed you do is indirectly denigrate other members. Treat more people with respect, and treat the forums with respect, and more people will appreciate you in the community. Saying that posting a link to a forum you like in GC is "suicidal" isn't very respectful to this community.

Lindy
11-09-2006, 05:09 PM
*shrug*

I was in the album, might still be, I'm not sure.

Only photo I had was of me and Xander, but since we're not together any more keeping such a photo is hardly appropriate.

lol@cowardice on teh intarwebz.

fire_of_avalon
11-09-2006, 05:10 PM
And Lindy, cut the crap.

Shaun
11-09-2006, 05:12 PM
Azar: There are? Well, he took them off swiftly. Got something to hide, perhaps?

foa: Thanks to you too. A mature member posts at last (well, as well as Azar). I didn't mean to personally offend you - I was talking about somebody's thoughts being entirely disregarded by members of this forum, and not necessarily the CKs. I was talking about the posters. Doesn't that show I'm bothered about the well-being of the community's members?

I try not to denigrate other members. I try to be respectful. I sometimes find it hard to emphasise... naturally. But I shall try harder to do this in future. I'm sorry about that remark, but I've done it in a popular forum and I learnt my lesson.

Edit: Lindy, for the comment on my photo, you've now been demoted to 'conformer'. :) Honestly, that's the most stereotypical insult I've ever heard. I was going to get a haircut tomorrow, for your information. Whether I should for your sake now, I don't know.

Edit 2 (as I don't want to bump): Christmas for the win.

Christmas
11-09-2006, 05:15 PM
I CARE. :bigsmile:

Lindy
11-09-2006, 05:15 PM
Azar: There are? Well, he took them off swiftly. Got something to hide, perhaps?
*facepalm*

I stopped posting here for ages, I imagine Xander had the one of me and her taken down when we parted ways months ago.

The Devil Man
11-09-2006, 05:20 PM
Shaun, I care too, and I like you :)

I think you're okay dude!

Just ignore the people you don't like if it bothers you that much.

And don't forget, some people try to act really cool and 'big' by attempting to put others down on a Forum. Fools! They're worth less then dirt, so just ignore them man!

Old Manus
11-09-2006, 05:25 PM
it's like ceiling cat is taking the picture.Lindy wins on so many levels

Christmas
11-09-2006, 05:26 PM
it's like ceiling cat is taking the picture.Lindy wins on so many levels

Unlike NANNY MANUS who is a born loser. :(

Shaun
11-09-2006, 05:27 PM
Maybe that's because I wanted good lighting? Who cares what angle it's at? Thanks for your post too, Devil Man. Honestly, I don't want this to be closed because of some spammers. I want advice from some good members. But it doesn't look like there are many members worth changing for.

Leeza
11-09-2006, 05:37 PM
I'm closing this because these <i>What Do You Think of Me?</i> type threads are always closed here and you will be no exception.

Yamaneko
11-09-2006, 06:09 PM
Leeza is an awesome person with a knack of getting into peculiar situations.