PDA

View Full Version : Please cover me.

Rantz
11-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Covers on other artists' songs, what is your opinion on them? Is liking a song reason enough to do a cover on it? Do you have to produce it in a whole new way or is a slight variation good enough?

What covers are good/bad, or just plain weird?

Wait, that last part I can answer myself. Naing Naing's cover of Eva Cassidy's "Fever" (http://www.last.fm/music/Naing+Naing/_/Toad+Fever), with the new, and quite appropriate, name "Toad Fever", is one of the strangest things I've heard for a long time. :)

Edit: Sorry about posting it in General, I forgot that there was a forum for this stuff :)

Leeza
11-09-2006, 04:10 PM
This belongs in The Lounge. *moves*

I don't mind covers if they're done well. Some are even better than the originals. One of my favourites is Pink Floyd's <a href="http://leezas.com/MarilynManson-AnotherBrickintheWall.mp3">Another Brick in the Wall</a> redone by Marilyn Manson. :cat:

Jowy
11-09-2006, 04:16 PM
Speaking of Mr. Manson, his cover of "This Is Halloween" from the Nightmare Before Christmas is quite excellent. Guns and Roses also made "Sympathy for the Devil" sound much better.

Rantz
11-09-2006, 04:27 PM
One of my favourites is Pink Floyd's <a href="http://leezas.com/MarilynManson-AnotherBrickintheWall.mp3">Another Brick in the Wall</a> redone by Marilyn Manson. :cat:

In this particular case, I definitely think the cover is justified, since it's pretty much adapted to another style and whatnot. I do prefer Pink Floyd's version though :)

DK
11-09-2006, 04:52 PM
I like cover songs, especially when it's in a different style of music, like RATM's cover of Cypress Hill's "How I could just kill a man".

XxSephirothxX
11-09-2006, 05:10 PM
It really just depends on the song. I've heard some that are awesome and better than the original, like The Misfit's "Ballroom Blitz." But others just can't live up to the original--for instance, practically any cover of a Beatles song. :p

Rantz
11-09-2006, 05:14 PM
I like cover songs, especially when it's in a different style of music, like RATM's cover of Cypress Hill's "How I could just kill a man".
Ah yes, there's an improvement. I'm not a big fan of Rage Against the Machine, but even less of a fan of Cypress Hill. :p

It really just depends on the song. I've heard some that are awesome and better than the original, like The Misfit's "Ballroom Blitz."
I haven't heard that one. Sounds interesting though :jess:

But others just can't live up to the original--for instance, practically any cover of a Beatles song. :p
You speak true words, at least in my ears.

Ethanol Dreams
11-09-2006, 05:21 PM
It can be ok sometimes, but most of the time I prefer the original. McFly's cover of Don't Stop Me Now, originally by Queen, for example. I think Queen's version was much better:

Queen Version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdVdNnXiQTc)
McFly Version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpucTv66JDU)

Rantz
11-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Queen Version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdVdNnXiQTc)
McFly Version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpucTv66JDU)

See, that's my opinion of an unjustified cover. Or rather, would have been if McFly hadn't done it for a good cause. Still though, they didn't really add anything to it, they mostly tried to imitate Queen.

starseeker
11-09-2006, 05:30 PM
I don't like straight covers but I like remakes of a song.

charliepanayi
11-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Most released covers I hear aren't very good, but then most covers are done at gigs etc rather than being released, so there's plenty I can't know about. Will just say that covers I enjoy include Feeling Good by Muse and Highway 61 Revisted by PJ Harvey. Awful ones that come to mind include All Saints' woefully misbegotten cover of Under The Bridge and that horrible version of Lady Marmalade with Pink, Lil Kim, Christina Aguilera etc a few years back.

Roto13
11-09-2006, 06:47 PM
Gary Jules' version of Mad World > Tears for Fears' version of Mad World.

Don't deny it.

jrgen
11-09-2006, 07:04 PM
Laibach is the greatest cover band ever.

Especially the way they managed to make Queen's One Vision sound like nazi propaganda by translating it to German. Video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwdOX19_ETI)

Their cover of Life is Life (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoqJwgmOUoI) is brilliant too.

Kirobaito
11-09-2006, 07:30 PM
Covers are a huge part of folk music, because kinda the point is making music that anyone can perform. I think it's better if you take a different perspective of a song, but as long as you don't try to sing the same way as the original artist, it's all good.

Tom Paxton has made a ton of songs that other artists have performed... "The Last Thing on my Mind", "The Marvelous Toy", "Forest Lawn"... and many many others.

Xander
11-09-2006, 08:08 PM
Covers I don't much care for include when boybands or people who have just won Pop Idol or something, cover an old, great song for their first single, get to number 1, and don't do crap but stand there and look pretty while having an ok voice. Especially when that's 90% of what they ever release. Stop stealing!

Covers I do like, are when good bands with plenty of original stuff, do their *own* take on another band's song. I love the Live Lounge on Radio 1 for that. Examples include:

Arctic Monkeys - Love Machine (Girls Aloud)
It was really funny hearing them sing this in their own way, and when they laugh in the middle of it. I prefer their version over Girls Aloud, and it was the top of my LastFM chart for a good while (now 2nd).

The Boy Least Likely To - Faith
This song is SO cute. They just completely make it the boy least likely to. The way the little things kick in, and the gentle, softness and cuteness. It is a lovely cover. They played it live and the crowd loved it. <3

We Are Scientists - Hoppipolla
It's great to hear a band doing a really different style to their usual stuff. WAS are really diverse, their new EP and their old tracks show that.

That's just a few, but there are more good ones.

Rantz
11-09-2006, 08:18 PM
Covers I don't much care for include when boybands or people who have just won Pop Idol or something, cover an old, great song for their first single, get to number 1, and don't do crap but stand there and look pretty while having an ok voice. Especially when that's 90% of what they ever release. Stop stealing!

I agree wholeheartedly.

jrgen, that band is more ridiculous than good to me. :)

Breine
11-09-2006, 08:24 PM
Covers are nice when they're done well, but otherwise they're just plain annoying.

Both Jeff Buckley's and Rufus Wainwright's version of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" are very good for example.

charliepanayi
11-09-2006, 08:46 PM
Argh can't believe I forgot about Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah! That's a wonderful song.

Rantz
11-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Both Jeff Buckley's and Rufus Wainwright's version of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" are very good for example.

Oh yeah, I haven't heard Jeff Buckley's version but Rufus' is great, one of his better performances. Although, Leonard Cohen sings it awesome as well (as he should :))

jrgen
11-09-2006, 09:14 PM
jrgen, that band is more ridiculous than good to me. :)
I'll have to disagree with you there. :)
One of the most innovative and influential industrial bands around and without a doubt one of the most controversial bands in existence as few get their great satire (if anyone truly does).

Check out their newly released cover (in a sense) of God save the Queen (http://www.laibach.nsk.si/anglia_video.htm) too. (Perhaps NSFW. Just some non-sexual naked upper bodies.)

Rantz
11-09-2006, 09:42 PM
I'll have to disagree with you there. :)
One of the most innovative and influential industrial bands around and without a doubt one of the most controversial bands in existence as few get their great satire (if anyone truly does).

Industrial is one of the (quite few, if I may say so myself) genres/subgenres that I haven't grown a liking for certain parts of. Well, they might be ok when played in underground bars. :jess:

Anyway, we're getting off topic, and it's a matter of opinion anyway.

I Took the Red Pill
11-09-2006, 09:48 PM
The Rufus Wainwright version of Hallelujah is the best one, Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower is better than Bob Dylan's, and Johnny Cash's Hurt is better than the Nine Inch Nails version. That's all I can think of now.

Pete for President
11-09-2006, 09:58 PM
I think 9 out of 10 covers are wrong. And that's excluding trance/dance versions of oldies, because I think that's always wrong (imo).

I can't even think of a "well-done-cover" right now.

Mitch
11-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Good covers are good covers.

ie. Hurt by NiN done by Johnny Cash- outstanding

or Jimi Hendrix's version of All Along The Watchtower

Of course these are widely considered two of the best covers done ever because they make great songs to someone who hasn't heard the original. (I haven't heard the origional Hurt and I don't feel the need to).

And Leeza, I'm sorry to say this, but I find the MM version of Another Brick quite... awful. :(

NorthernChaosGod
11-09-2006, 10:32 PM
Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt" is infinitely better than the original in my opinion. I love it.

Cradle of Filth's cover of "Hallowed Be Thy Name" is a very good cover. It's a nice change from the original.

Most covers done by Children of Bodom I find are quite good. The two stand out covers in my mind are "The Trooper" and "Somebody Put Something In My Drink"

Pantera's covers of "Planet Caravan", "Cat Scratch Fever", and "Hole in the Sky" are also examples of very good covers.

Gary Jules' version of Mad World > Tears for Fears' version of Mad World.

Don't deny it.

Lies and Libel!!

Mitch
11-10-2006, 02:49 AM
Also, The Seatbelt's version of Pink Floyd's On The Run is somewhat impressive.

Leeza
11-10-2006, 03:45 AM
And Leeza, I'm sorry to say this, but I find the MM version of Another Brick quite... awful. :(

<a href="http://forums.eyesonff.com/showpost.php?p=1336898&postcount=25">O RLY?</a> :)

Kawaii Ryûkishi
11-10-2006, 04:00 AM
Covers I don't much care for include when boybands or people who have just won Pop Idol or something, cover an old, great song for their first single, get to number 1, and don't do crap but stand there and look pretty while having an ok voice. Especially when that's 90% of what they ever release. Stop stealing!Yes. What's even worse is when ignorant folks give them full credit for the songs they cover. Celine Dion, "I Drove All Night," what?

rubah
11-10-2006, 04:06 AM
I hate that too kishi.

"OMG SARAH BRIGHTMAN DID THIS SONG, DUST IN THE WIND, AND ITS SOOOOO GREAT!"

fire_of_avalon
11-10-2006, 04:08 AM
Wow. And the burn goes to Leeza.

I Dope's cover of "You Spin me Round" and I have no idea why xD

Shlup
11-10-2006, 04:10 AM
I love good covers. Manson's Tainted Love is sexy, as is Dynamite Hack's Boyz in tha Hood. And Tokyo Showdown's Rainbow in the Dark is totally hot.

Mitch
11-10-2006, 05:45 AM

<a href="http://forums.eyesonff.com/showpost.php?p=1336898&postcount=25">O RLY?</a> :)

Oh. Pwned. :O_O:

Tastes change though, like now.

NorthernChaosGod
11-10-2006, 08:25 AM
I love good covers. Manson's Tainted Love is sexy, as is Dynamite Hack's Boyz in tha Hood. And Tokyo Showdown's Rainbow in the Dark is totally hot.

Do tell more.

Jowy
11-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Oh my god someone else appreciates the hilariously-awful-yet-well-done cover of Boys in The Hood as well! <3

Reine
11-13-2006, 11:22 AM
My favourite cover is Whisky In The Jar by Metallica. Cant remember who did the original song though.

Mitch
11-13-2006, 11:37 AM
My favourite cover is Whisky In The Jar by Metallica. Cant remember who did the original song though.

Thin Lizzy. It's a rock interpretation of a traditional Irish folk song.

Cz
11-13-2006, 06:16 PM
We Are Scientists - Hoppipolla
It's great to hear a band doing a really different style to their usual stuff. WAS are really diverse, their new EP and their old tracks show that.I've absolutely no idea how this could possibly work, but I'm really intruiged by the sound of it, if only because I want to find out how a three-piece band goes about tackling Sigúr Rós.

I don't have a problem with covers. If a band's version of an old song matches or improves upon the original, then great. If not, then it doesn't take anything away from the original song, aside from the occasional uninformed person who was unaware than an original song existed. And who honestly cares what those people think about music?

However, I will say that the Scissor Sisters' cover of Comfortably Numb is a horrible crime against mankind, if not all life in the universe.