PDA

View Full Version : When do you think the PS3 will be ready to buy?

Vincent, Thunder God
11-09-2006, 11:28 PM
It seems that most of the gamers on the forum think that the PS3 will have problems at launch like the past Playsation consoles. Upon hearing this I decided to wait a while past launch to get my own PS3.

Despite this, the news that the first few PS3's would have PS2 hardware for proper backwards compatibility, but later ones would have Cell emulation technology made me wonder if an earlier console would have advantages as well. Emulation problems will probably make certain PS1 or PS2 games not function properly, whereas old hardware could work much better.

So when should I get the PS3 to avoid launch bugs but still get the old hardware? I realize it's a difficult question, but any advice would be appreciated.

Roto13
11-09-2006, 11:35 PM
Odds are, the old hardware will be part of the problem.

Lindy
11-09-2006, 11:43 PM
I'll get one after I get bored of my Wii, probably around the release date of Duke Nukem Forever, really. (ololz, u c wut i did ther?)

In all seriousness, I think I'mma wait about 6 months, or until the first price drop, whichever will come first.

My solution to PS1/2 game emulation problems on a PS3 : USE A PS2 TO PLAY THE GAMES OMG INVENTIVE!

Vincent, Thunder God
11-10-2006, 12:29 AM
I don't have a PS2. The plan was always to play all the PS2 games on the PS3.

Lindy
11-10-2006, 12:30 AM
wtf have you been playing for the past few years then?

Vincent, Thunder God
11-10-2006, 01:09 AM
Xbox.

Avarice-ness
11-10-2006, 01:16 AM
My friend's at Gamestop told me a few weeks back that the only major issue of the ps3 that they've heard about is that the ps3 is overheating because of it's 6 processors or something, and that at that point (a few weeks ago) the only way to keep it from locking up or crashing is to have a cooler on it. I'm guessing they've fixed that, or atleast I hope so.
All of Sony's insanity over the ps3 has got me wanting a Wii, So I'll be getting a Wii first. Thanks Sony, You're going to make Nintendo the number one gaming system once again! *throws confetti*
:razz:

Madame Adequate
11-10-2006, 01:33 AM
I reckon I'll wait between 6 and 18 months. That'll give them time to get things figured out, get places adequately stocked (Maybe), and we might well see a price drop by this time next year too.

Erdrick Holmes
11-10-2006, 01:47 AM
I'll buy one when it gets some good games that aren't on consoles that cost less.

JKTrix
11-10-2006, 12:51 PM
I'll be getting one as soon as I can once Virtua Fighter 5 comes out. If it dies, I'll just get it replaced.

As it stands now, the PS2 hardware inside the PS3 makes most (if not all) PS2 games backward compatible. I speculate that Sony already had PS2 emulators all programmed long ago, so putting it in the PS3 would have been a copy/paste affair. However (this is fact), a lot of games didn't adhere to whatever guidelines Sony had for PlayStation software, and it didn't jive with Sony's emulator. So, now PlayStation folks have to tweak the emulator so that most of these games work.

Perhaps they will push it out as soon as possible, ensuring that all of their 'Best Sellers' work first and any other major titles. Then they can have downloadable content, like the 360, to update the emulator with the latest patches for more games. They really do want to put the emulator in though, because it will lower production costs for them.

I say, get a PS3 as soon as there are a few games you want for it. If you are comfortable with the idea of maybe having to send your system back to Sony or the retailer if it dies, then go for it. I don't forsee them fixing the emulation situation anytime soon. They're struggling to pump out even the launch systems now, so when/if it comes out in Europe in March, they will be making the same Launch hardware.

There have been 14 revisions (http://reviews.ebay.com/Playstation-2-Versions-System-Guide_W0QQugidZ10000000000852384?ssPageName=BUYGD:CAT:-1:LISTINGS:5) of the PS2 hardware since its launch 6 years ago (Slim PS2 was the 10th). Chances are the PS3 will have several revisions along the years as well.

aerithsloveslave
11-10-2006, 01:50 PM
The first batches always have bugs/glitches/heating problems. Save yourself the headache and wait a few months.

edczxcvbnm
11-10-2006, 03:29 PM
3 years or the first redesign.

Avarice-ness
11-10-2006, 07:03 PM
I'll buy one when it gets some good games that aren't on consoles that cost less.

Yeah but when those games come out they'll prolly be on BlueRays discs and those are suppose to be like 70 bucks a peice.. I wouldn't want to pay 700$ for a console then 70$ a game when they decide to go all high-tech.

Tavrobel
11-10-2006, 07:09 PM
Of course people are waiting; it's not like PS systems are HDTVs. Plus, nothing that interesting is coming out.

Dreddz
11-10-2006, 07:24 PM
A year is pretty safe. You'll have enough feedback to read.

fantasyjunkie
11-10-2006, 09:27 PM
I would wait at least 6 months for 2 reasons. First the glitches will probably worked out(almost every new system regradless of name brand has them), and you will be able to just walk in and buy one without stressing over if it is sold out or not.

KentaRawr!
11-10-2006, 11:47 PM
I'll wait until I can read some reviews, see some in-depth footage of games I'm interested in, etc. Then there's getting the money for it, so probably about a year. Just in time for Christmas. :p

Vincent, Thunder God
11-13-2006, 12:41 AM
My friend said that there probably won't be any major glitches at launch, or Sony would be in deep trouble.

He told me to wait a week after a launch, and if there weren't any signs of a major glitches it should be OK to buy soon after.

I think I'm only going to wait a few months.

Comments on this decision?

fantasyjunkie
11-13-2006, 02:07 AM
I always wait a few months for the simple reason I hate stressing out on whether they will be sold out or not. I've done that with every major system for the last 15 years.

Frozen Phantom
11-13-2006, 02:40 AM
I buy it when hell freezes over...just kidding I'll wait a year for Sony to fix some of the bugs.

Spammerman
11-13-2006, 03:32 AM
My friend's at Gamestop told me a few weeks back that the only major issue of the ps3 that they've heard about is that the ps3 is overheating because of it's 6 processors or something, a

Good thing its coming out when its nice and frosty.