PDA

View Full Version : I dont like Judge Ghis

VengefulRonin
11-10-2006, 03:57 AM
Okay, i'm on the Dreadnought Leviathan, and i've saved the game after finding Ashe, so now i have to run back to the stupid entrance past those stupid guards flooding the place >_< My issue arises when i try to kill off the friggin Judge. I've read walkthroughs, and they all say to just knock off the normal soldiers first, then take care of Ghis. I've tried that and i die because while i'm attacking the normal ones Ghis just kills everyone.

I have both Ashe and Penelo's quickenings, and i'm going to try to link them because i'm still kinda figuring out how to, but the most i've managed to do is get him down halfway. I was considering using the quickenings on the soldiers to take care of them fast, but it seems like a waste. You guys have any suggestions? Oh btw, two of my people are lv 9, two are lv 10, and two are lv 11. Still underleveled?

BustaMo
11-10-2006, 04:48 AM
Quickenings. But isnt that my answer for everything? Eh, not really, but I chained together only like 3 or 4 and then killed him in one hit after the Quickening.

Venom65437
11-10-2006, 04:59 AM
Don't be mad, but I really just completely creamed him without even trying. :p

You can always do some leveling up if you're having problems.

Cipher
11-10-2006, 06:16 AM
Yeah, I had trouble with this guy for a while, too. I ended up waiting and relevling my people up to 13-14 on average. Plus I made sure I had at least two people with Quickenings in my starting fighting party... three if you want a very quick win.

Tip 1 is to not bother trying to take down the other judges, at all. Focus on Judge Ghis. If you've got 3 people with Quickenings, put two in your starting party and the third on reserve.

Right off the bat, hit him with a Quickening and, if at all possible, link them. Basically if you see one of your PS2 button symbols appear beside a name, press it. If nothing shows up, keep hitting R2 until one does show up, THEN press it.

Hopefully you'll get at least 2 quickenings linked. After the quickening is done, hammer Ghis with a few attacks/spells. Then switch out one of your party members for that third person with a quickening available... and use it on Ghis again.

If he isn't down by then, he'll be very, very, very close. Good luck!

Millia Billia
11-10-2006, 12:42 PM
That was a pretty difficult battle. I didn't have a single Mist ability unlocked at that point, so that probably didn't help.

aerithsloveslave
11-10-2006, 01:06 PM
I was at around lvl 12-13 and didn't have a clue what a Mist/Quickening was at this point. I just took care of the soldiers first and then took out the judges. Use potions instead of cure to reserve your mp.

Goldenboko
11-10-2006, 01:08 PM
That was a pretty difficult battle. I didn't have a single Mist ability unlocked at that point, so that probably didn't help.

Ha, same here. I killed his lackeys with my weaker party and had my stronger party beat Ghis.

VengefulRonin
11-10-2006, 09:11 PM
Well i decided to test out the quickening thing and managed to combine Ashe and Penelo's...it took off about a third of his health...thats pretty sad considering that Ashe's quickening alone takes off a fourth of Ghis's health. But after that i knocked his health down to only a fourth left, then everyone died. I just have everyone use magic spells since the guy always casts protect, and i dont have any ethers to restore Ashe and Penelo's MP so that doesnt help me...I dont know why i didnt think of making everyone use potions for healing though, cuz i wont waste so much MP, and i think its quicker to use potions too

I need to level up simply because i need more HP to sustain the beatings of those damn lackeys of his. But since i got his health down so low this time, it gives me hope ^_^ I'd try it several times in a row if it werent for that stupid gauntlet i have to run to get to him, but i get reeeeal tired of that, so i'll probably wait till tonight before i try it again.

Goldenboko
11-11-2006, 12:13 AM
Well i decided to test out the quickening thing and managed to combine Ashe and Penelo's...it took off about a third of his health...thats pretty sad considering that Ashe's quickening alone takes off a fourth of Ghis's health.

You should try again then, if you can link your Quickenings better you'll be able to beat him then.

Roto13
11-11-2006, 12:18 AM
If you've got 3 people with Quickenings, put two in your starting party and the third on reserve.

Hell naw. It's MUCH easier to get a decent chain going if you use three characters with Quickenings. I killed a boss today with a chain of 8 quickenings without using any other attacks. Remember, one character can use his or her quickening(s) multiple times in a single chain. Also remember that you have to press the button twice if it says "Mist Charge"!

Cipher
11-11-2006, 12:53 AM
Hell naw. It's MUCH easier to get a decent chain going if you use three characters with Quickenings. I killed a boss today with a chain of 8 quickenings without using any other attacks. Remember, one character can use his or her quickening(s) multiple times in a single chain. Also remember that you have to press the button twice if it says "Mist Charge"!

Well, I'm going off of the fact that Vengeful Ronin doesn't quite know how to chain Quickenings yet. When I was battling Ghis, I was only just getting the hang of quickenings.

If he can chain them all into one massive Quickening, then more power to 'em. I just know how I did it. :D Hell, I'm just now trying to figure out the whole Demon Wall thing.

Roto13
11-11-2006, 01:29 AM
He doesn't know, but he should learn and do it. No time like the present! Once you figure out what's going on, it's incredibly easy.

VengefulRonin
11-11-2006, 01:40 AM
*happy dances*

I got it! ^_^ I had Ashe and Penelo combine them, and i got 3 mist charges off too, so they combined attacks into a rather impressive looking Inferno attack, took off 3/4 of the guy's health....and somehow or another just Ashe and Penelo swinging their swords at him took off the rest in about 2 minutes, even though he had protect on o_O

Thanks guys, especially roto13-ness, i didnt know i could chain them together and pull off multiple quickenings

Omni-Odin
11-11-2006, 01:44 AM
Easiest boss in the game dude. Not lyin'. Easiest boss in the game.

VengefulRonin
11-11-2006, 03:50 AM
Well i suck >_< No seriously...i suck >_<

Roto13
11-11-2006, 04:30 AM
Well i suck >_< No seriously...i suck >_<

Oh, ignore him. Lot's of people have trouble with that boss. I did.

And he's obviously not the easiest boss in the game because he wasn't as easy as the bosses you'd beaten up to that point so nyah. :P

Crossblades
11-11-2006, 04:37 AM
All my characters were at level 14 by the time I fought him and I thought he was pretty easy.

BustaMo
11-11-2006, 04:41 AM
What was tougher was that battle in the middle of the ship when all those soldiers attacked. 6 I think. I got rid of them easier, but I'm just saying they put up more of a fight for me than Ghis did.

VengefulRonin
11-11-2006, 06:52 AM
Oh yuck, that one with the 3 judges and 3 normal guys, that was awful >_< took me several tries to beat them...Ghis was waaaaaay easy though once i figured out how to chain those stupid quickenings

Cloud_Omnislash124
11-11-2006, 09:03 PM
u should just really practice your quickening. my guys were all lvl 16 cept for balthier cuz i dont use him. i mostly tried to get quickenings for people. so i did a 6 combo with quickenings and that did over 7000 damage killing him in one hit.

VengefulRonin
11-11-2006, 10:15 PM
6 combo? O_O Geez, i only got 4...that was probably cuz only penelo and ashe knew quickenings though...

BustaMo
11-11-2006, 11:23 PM
A 9-chained combo been my top performed so far. In order to get the ultimate and most powerful Concurrence (Black Hole) to occur at the end of your chain of Quickenings though, you'll need to pull off 4 level 1's, 2's and 3's of Quickenings to initiate it.

Slicksword45
11-11-2006, 11:55 PM
I did a 7 hit quickening. I'm good with them. killed juge in the first attacks by hitting him for 7500-ish by linking quickings.

VengefulRonin
11-12-2006, 02:09 AM
I'm realizing now that i got really lucky when i pulled off that 4 hit combo on Ghis, cuz i have trouble having the right timing, i always skip the stupid mist charge >_<

Cipher
11-12-2006, 06:13 AM
woohoo! Just did a 10-chain quickening. It ended with this really nice special move...anyway, ended up doling out something over 10k damage. I wasn't counting at that point. :love:

pantsofpower
11-12-2006, 06:42 AM
This is right where I am... I lost the first time I tried but then I beat up a bunch of guards, earned a lot of LP, and bought a whole mess of Quickenings. I figure I oughta be able to take out most of the other guards with a good Quickening chain so that I'll be able to focus on Ghis even if he doesn't die right away.

Asiankido
11-12-2006, 07:56 AM
heya~ new to the forums here....and saw this thread and was just puzzled.....

ive heard from all of you that the most chains you pulled off were like 6 or 8.....

i find that very weird....when i fought judge ghis it wasnt even a challenge. All of my main party members (Vaan, Fran, and Ashe) had at least 1 quickening and ashe had 2 (i think....it was a while ago~)
When the battle started, i just targeted with ashe's lvl 2 quickening on judge ghis....and started the chain. I broke my friend's japanese friend's record of 10 chains with a 16-chain quickening combo. This also earned me a decent ending aoe blast (i think it was ark blast....or was it torrent?)

I don't see how you guys find it so hard to chain the quickening...if all of your party members have at least one then this shouldnt be a problem....just check the list carefully after each selection and press appropriate buttons.....

O by the way....the 16-chain combo did a 18k dmg to judge ghis...so that was an overkill~

VengefulRonin
11-12-2006, 10:05 AM
Well you must have leveled an insane amount...and this part is fairly early in the game...and only two of my people had quickening, Ashe and Penelo. Now i coulda had more, but i prefer to use my LP to get things like armour and weapons, as apposed to running around on the board wasting it on things i wont even be able to buy for a long time just so i can get to a quickening.

pantsofpower
11-13-2006, 04:57 PM
I got Penelo, Fran, Ashe, and Basch quickenings (Basch had 2.) I had a few problems switching characters around because they were all being targeted, but I waited for the non-quickening characters to get killed by Ghis, swapped Basch in, and Quickened the Judge. Instant kill. I believe I got the Cataclysm concurrence.

charliebrown87
11-14-2006, 05:09 AM
check this out take advantage of all the random soldiers flooding the place and spend a little time leveling up... trust me i took him out so easily i did'nt think it was an actual important boss battle, plus i got an ass of loot

VengefulRonin
11-14-2006, 05:45 AM
Thats what i did, leveled up once the alarm went off...but god, its so tiresome. I know on RPGs it takes alot to lv up, but this game its a ridiculous amount, so i got lazy, just wiped him out with a quickening chain.

(yes, i realize i rant on about that whole "takes lotta fighting to lv" thing, and thats because it pisses me off so much)

Maven
11-25-2006, 08:33 PM
yeah i had trouble too.
i just leveled everyone up to about 13-14.

the only thing is, i am just a little past this part now. but what quickening does Ashe have? i got the Star one.

Renmiri
11-25-2006, 09:34 PM
I had no need of quickenings but my party was level 21 at the time (yeah, I over leveled at Lhusu). It was so easy I didn't even have to turn off the alarms to get to the dock.

The skeletons at Lhusu give you bone fragments that can be sold for $$$ so I recommend finding a save game around that point for levelling up. This way you can get better armor / weapons :D

Thats what i did, leveled up once the alarm went off...but god, its so tiresome. I know on RPGs it takes a lot to lv up, but this game its a ridiculous amount
One of my beefs with FFXII. The levels "jump" too much from one mission to the next, it breaks the flow of the game to have to keep leveling up for 5- 10 levels at a time. In other games it is not as noticeable, just by following the missions you are pretty much at the right minimum level, making leveling up optional or at least less tiresome.

Mirage
11-25-2006, 11:51 PM
I remember defeating him with no deaths and no quickenings at 10-12 or so.

VengefulRonin
11-26-2006, 02:32 AM
Meh, i think i was like lv 8 or something...that screwed me over.

Originally bespoken by Renmiri:

One of my beefs with FFXII. The levels "jump" too much from one mission to the next, it breaks the flow of the game to have to keep leveling up for 5- 10 levels at a time. In other games it is not as noticeable, just by following the missions you are pretty much at the right minimum level, making leveling up optional or at least less tiresome.

I agree. RPGs are about the stories, and it seems kind of retarded to be on an urgent quest to save Ivalice from impending enslavement, but you have to stop and spend an hour or two leveling up after every cutscene. My main party is around lv 28 right now, and a friend of mine told me that that's a pretty good lv for where i am in the game, but guess what...its not! So i have to keep killing the same four frigging types of fiends over and over to lv. I love the story in this game, but i want to be able to progress at a smooth rate and not have to spend countless hours leveling.

I've put 47 hours into this game, and i can guarantee that at least half of it has been leveling up just enough so i can continue on, there's no way i'd even have the patience to overlevel. I'm not even halfway through with the storyline yet, i havent even attempted anything else except two quick hunts (and i've stopped doing those), with any other FF i could have been half or two thirds of the way finished by now.

Dewprisms
11-26-2006, 02:34 AM
I don't understand why people whine so much about how 'hard' this game is to level up and how 'tiresome' it is...

This is the first game I HAVEN'T had a hard time leveling up. Before encounters were totally random and annoying, and it was harder to get around early in the game. Right now I'm probably only about 1/3-1/2 through the game and I get around very easily and am leveling even easier. For the first time in an FF game I'm at mid-high level range for each area, and don't mind leveling up. Perhaps it's just me, but being able to choose and seeing my enemies that I'm going to fight before I fight them is making it easier.

Perhaps it's the fact that making gil is more difficult, and since I'm so obsessed with having the best armor all the time I'm leveling up just trying to get gil?

My advice is instead of just running straight through the game, always try to beat all the marks you can manage (I'm currently beating my level III marks before going to Archades. I'm heading through the M osphoran Highwaste right now, and am about to try and take on Atomos and get my best armor before going back to kill the Ring Wyrm and TRY that accursed Vorporal Bunny. ), spend time making enough money to buy your up to date armor, collecting extra loot to make more money, unlocking a bazaar item or two, etc.

Another good way to level up is to try and go as far as you can go into other areas than you're supposed to until the enemies are way too hard or I simply can't go any further.

All in all, I think people have gotten way too lazy and are whining about this game for the wrong reasons- leveling up has always been an integral part of FF games and RPGs in general, and it's really easy in this game.

Dewprisms
11-26-2006, 02:38 AM
...I love the story in this game, but i want to be able to progress at a smooth rate and not have to spend countless hours leveling.

I've put 47 hours into this game, and i can guarantee that at least half of it has been leveling up just enough so i can continue on, there's no way i'd even have the patience to overlevel. I'm not even halfway through with the storyline yet, i havent even attempted anything else except two quick hunts (and i've stopped doing those), with any other FF i could have been half or two thirds of the way finished by now.

Perhaps part of the problem is that you're refusing to do parts of the game that are a large chunk of the game- hunts. You whine about how 'hard' it is because you're underleveled... I'm at about 50 hours, level 31, and I'm not underleveled at all for where I am. I'm also doing the hunts and other little sidequests as I find them rather than choosing to ignore them because "that's not what this game is about" when it really is- FF has always been big on sidequests that reveal more about the world that you are in and help you level up some and get items you cannot get otherwise.

There is more to the FF storylines besides the MAIN storyline- perhaps you should open your mind a bit to the games rather than sitting there whining.

VengefulRonin
11-26-2006, 02:56 AM
You double posted, use the edit button next time. And quit accusing me of whining, i love this game, but it IS more difficult than others, and i know there's alot of other people who share the same sentiment.

I know leveling has always been integral to RPGs, its not as if XII is my first RPG, you make me sound like a damned n00b. The thing that makes leveling more tedious in this game is that you run into monsters the same lv or higher than you, but they still give as much EXP as monsters weaker than you, it reminds me of X-2...except you cant just breeze through it on the bare minimum lv and its not total crap.

Making money is no problem if I just kill everything and dont run. And everyone already has attained way stronger armour, i just have to wait for it to get in the shops. I dont see what good the bazaar items are, so i dont bother with those.

I dont bother with the hunts because they dont give me EXP nor do i see how they "reveal more about the world that you are in." Sure, they give more LP than normal monsters, and LP is nice, but i've already got almost everything that i need for and i'm more concerned about leveling. Besides, i always do the sidequest stuff later on in the game, generally near the end, that way i'm stronger and i can still draw out the game, so dont you tell me to open my mind, if it werent open and i hated the leveling concept i wouldnt even play RPGs.

Edge7
11-26-2006, 02:57 AM
I beat him on my second try. The strategy was to use a warp thing on the soliders and then I aimed at the Judge

Mirage
11-26-2006, 02:59 AM
Meh, i think i was like lv 8 or something...that screwed me over.

Originally bespoken by Renmiri:

I agree. RPGs are about the stories, and it seems kind of retarded to be on an urgent quest to save Ivalice from impending enslavement, but you have to stop and spend an hour or two leveling up after every cutscene. My main party is around lv 28 right now, and a friend of mine told me that that's a pretty good lv for where i am in the game, but guess what...its not! So i have to keep killing the same four frigging types of fiends over and over to lv. I love the story in this game, but i want to be able to progress at a smooth rate and not have to spend countless hours leveling.

I haven't really leveled a lot. I've mostly just been running around looking around and exploring the areas. If I don't skip or flee from enemies you get enough exp to progress the main story without too many difficulties. The monsters I meet during storyline stuff are about my level most of the time, except monsters that are obviously not meant to be messed with yet. Such as a level 45 Salamander Entite with 40000 HP :p. I'm still just level 17-19, and I'm 24 hours in, just past watching the Leviathan getting owned.

Dewprisms
11-26-2006, 03:00 AM
Well, I think you are a silly noob if you think this game is 'harder' than other FF games- this is the easiest FF game I've ever played. I've never died except during suicide missions (like trying to steal from the Wild Saurian at level 5) and the like. Everything in this game is HANDED to you, I don't see how it's hard at all.

Edge7
11-26-2006, 03:03 AM
Well, I think you are a silly noob if you think this game is 'harder' than other FF games- this is the easiest FF game I've ever played. I've never died except during suicide missions (like trying to steal from the Wild Saurian at level 5) and the like. Everything in this game is HANDED to you, I don't see how it's hard at all.
I'm not a noob and I had trouble :cry:

VengefulRonin
11-26-2006, 03:08 AM
Originally bespoken by Dewprisms:

So you're saying you had more trouble with FFX than this game? Wow.... o_O

Mirage
11-26-2006, 04:22 AM
Yes, let's all throw "you suck because you think Game X is harder than Game Y" at eachothers. Wow, that's so productive!

VengefulRonin
11-26-2006, 04:48 AM
Good point... <.<

But um...this is still on the leveling subject, but it's not complaining. Does anyone know of any guides online or anything that tell you recommended levels to be at for the areas your in? It would be helpful, and also tell me what to shoot for if i did want to take the time to overlevel

Mirage
11-26-2006, 05:19 AM
I'd say if you are in the same level range as the regular monsters when you enter a new story-line area, you're leveled decently. In the last area I got to, i was two levels higher than some monster, and two levels lower than some other monsters. I didn't have any problems with the boss i fought at the end of that area.

Cruise Control
11-26-2006, 01:23 PM
xD I was level 30, I had two grimiores to purchase. Yay Lhusu.

Final Killer
11-26-2006, 05:13 PM
well, I've watched the Shiva get blown up, after that was when I got my quickenings, lol