PDA

View Full Version : Who likes Rubicant/Rubicante?

Darth Cid
11-12-2006, 06:35 PM
I think Rubicant is one of the coolest FF villains of all time. He's a fire fiend, fire is so destructive, yet he is such a gentlemen. And he believes in fairplay, as shown by his trademark healing the party right before battle. He's pretty awesome imho.

ImAFarmer
11-13-2006, 02:50 AM
Yeah! he saved me from running to the save spot to heal!

Darth Cid
11-13-2006, 04:48 AM
"Poor technique, this is how it's done!"

Zeromus_X
11-13-2006, 05:03 AM
Every time I get up the part where you fight him the first time, I always forget he's going to heal you and I hike back to the save point only to be reminded that he heals you for free. >_>

feioncastor
11-13-2006, 05:03 AM
"Poor technique, this is how it's done!"

In the version that I've been playing since way back when, I think Mr. Rubicant says "Was it flame? I will show you how." which is stupid because he then proceeds to use Glare, not flame, proving that he actually has no idea how Edge does flame.

Anyway, I like Rubicant a lot. He's a gentlemanly guy, with honorable qualities that defy his title of "fiend". Like, instead of the four fiends of the elements, it should be the 3 fiends and the 1 pretty nice guy of the elements.

Plus Rubicant makes it clear that Lugae messed up Edge's parents on his own twisted will, and Rubicant is not pleased that Lugae did a thing like that. Even when you run into a second time, He's all smiles and red capes, healing you again. The other 3 fiends probably got kinda frustrated that Rubicant was always helping out the guys they were supposed to be killing.

I wonder how someone so decent could've sworn himself over to evil? Was he created by Golbez? If so, I think Golbez might want to rethink the developmental stages on a killing machine that heals the thing it ought to be killing.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-13-2006, 05:08 AM
Anyway, I like Rubicant a lot. He's a gentlemanly guy, with honorable qualities that defy his title of "fiend". Like, instead of the four fiends of the elements, it should be the 3 fiends and the 1 pretty nice guy of the elements.If it makes you feel any better, in the Japanese version, they're called the Four Emperors.

Darth Cid
11-13-2006, 05:27 AM
Yeah, that doesn't make sense, because Valvalis(idk how to spell her GBA name) is a girl, and they still call her an "Emperor"

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-13-2006, 05:37 AM
Women can be rightly referred to as actors and not actresses, stewards and not stewardesses, and hosts instead of hostesses. I don't see why they couldn't be called emperors as well.

Nasarian Altimeros
11-13-2006, 07:38 AM
It was a half decent character but I don't really understand why he has such a substantial following.

abrojtm
11-13-2006, 09:46 AM
He was designed to be likeable, and therefore people like him.
I didn't particularly like him much more than I liked Cagnazzo or the others. (I didn't really like Scarmiglione though).

Jowy
11-13-2006, 04:45 PM
Yeah, that doesn't make sense, because Valvalis(idk how to spell her GBA name) is a girl, and they still call her an "Emperor"

Barbariccia of Wind. :)

Evastio
11-13-2006, 09:44 PM
I think he's awesome. He's one of the few villains that has a conscience and doesn't let greed/hate/pride/power control him.

Sefie1999AD
11-13-2006, 10:40 PM
Anyway, I like Rubicant a lot. He's a gentlemanly guy, with honorable qualities that defy his title of "fiend". Like, instead of the four fiends of the elements, it should be the 3 fiends and the 1 pretty nice guy of the elements.

3 Fiends and 1 Friend? :p I like Rubicant mostly because of his gentleman character, but he's also a well done character. He's the fire-elemental boss that has a lot of powerful attacks, he's quite challenging and he has that cool cloak that absorbs ice attacks. It was great when he was angry at what Lugar did to Edge's parents, and how he was actually sorry about that. Hmm, I wonder how it would be if you could have both Golbez and Rubicant join the party. :D

NINJA_Ryu
11-14-2006, 01:34 AM
Well, its honorable that he did that, and he is all about fair play.

Sure, he could beat you all when your at 3 hp after that grueling dungeon, but no.

He wants to test his own limits, and become a better fighter to boot ^ ^

Crossblades
11-14-2006, 02:02 PM
He's an honorable villian. That's what I like about him:)

Sefie1999AD
11-14-2006, 02:39 PM
Sure, he could beat you all when your at 3 hp after that grueling dungeon, but no.

Doesn't he have an attack called Maelstrom that can take all your party members to single-digit HPs? Knowing that, he probably doesn't mind having his enemies fight him with full HP since he can just knock their HP down with Maelstrom. :p

ImAFarmer
11-14-2006, 04:06 PM
Lets just say it's the

1-Rotting guy
2-Turtle thing
3-Huge half naked woman
4-Free healing fool

The 4 elemental weirdos

Darth Cid
11-15-2006, 01:25 AM

Hey Cross, long time, no hear![/spam]

I believe Cross is right, Rubicant is honorable, not a fool. He fights with true honor.

EDIT - @Seph1999AD, no, he doesn't have Maelstrom, you're thinking of Behemoths when they conuter magic in this game. He has Glare which deals fire damage and a lot of it.

Martyr
11-15-2006, 01:34 AM
I remember this guy, yeah.

No. I don't like him. There's absolutely no reason that a "Fiend" of his likes would act this way. It's the kind of character detail that pulls the player out of the story. As impressive as it is for this to be a gentleman villain, it would be far more impressive for somebody like Golbez to have this quality. Not a monster that controls the elemt of fire.

It's wrong. It's absolutely the wrong character to have this character trait, and it's one more reason that FFIV sucked so bad. Everything in this game was just done wrong.

Darth Cid
11-15-2006, 01:43 AM
I beg to differ, the fact that Rubicant is a gentlemen gained my interest. It's ironic that such a destructive element is control by such a courtly person. I think Square mean for an element of irony when they developed Rubicant.

DarkLadyNyara
11-25-2006, 12:37 AM
I'm with Darth Cid. I found him interesting, and a refreshing change from your typical villian.

NeoCracker
12-01-2006, 04:01 AM
He rocked, though I liked Scarmiglion. He felt like a real villian.

boys from the dwarf
12-02-2006, 07:43 AM

indeed.

he was definetly my favourite of the fiends. i dont even perticularly know why hes against you. he does some cool things and heals you before you fight him. so i liked him as a villain.

Zeromus_X
12-02-2006, 07:48 AM
I also enjoy the fight against him as well. It's the longest of the Emperor fights for me, and it also implements more of the ATB system then the other three fights did in the strategy of the battle.

And, well, his cloak just looks neat. :cat:

Rase
12-02-2006, 07:48 AM
He rocked, though I liked Scarmiglion. He felt like a real villian.
Pretty much my thoughts on this. Something about Scarmiglione made him my favorite fiend, though Rubicante is an obvious and very close second.

fire_of_avalon
12-06-2006, 06:44 PM

xD You are my new favorite.

I always thought Rubicant was pretty neat.

Nominus Experse
12-08-2006, 03:28 AM
His demeanor and character design are what won me over to liking him. And, like Zexy, I too would trek back to the save point, only to be healed by Rubicante anyways...

aquatius
12-11-2006, 10:46 PM

No. I don't like him. There's absolutely no reason that a "Fiend" of his likes would act this way. It's the kind of character detail that pulls the player out of the story. As impressive as it is for this to be a gentleman villain, it would be far more impressive for somebody like Golbez to have this quality. Not a monster that controls the elemt of fire.

It's wrong. It's absolutely the wrong character to have this character trait, and it's one more reason that FFIV sucked so bad. Everything in this game was just done wrong.
I concur.

Dr. Casey
12-12-2006, 01:31 AM

This makes me think that you don't remember the game well enough to have that valid of an opinion. He's a major character, there's no reason you shouldn't remember him. That would be like if I went, "Oh yeah, I remember that Rinoa chick from Final Fantasy 8."

Morningstar
12-12-2006, 02:22 AM
Extremely scary looking? Yes. But he heals you. :spin:

Wild0ne
12-13-2006, 04:29 PM
He is one of the reasons why FFIV blows all the other FFs out of the water, hands down, no questions asked!! The only thing that is annoying about him is when you fight him the first time and if you try to summon Shiva to rock all over his world, he will close his cape. And then she heals him!! What a bad Ice Goddess...

Dr. Acula
12-15-2006, 02:56 AM
He may heal you, sure, and he's a pretty nice guy, but I don't like him for one reason:
I CAN'T BEAT HIM!
I've never been able to get past him, and I have training my characters up. That's why I gave up playing ff4. Yes, I'm a quitter. No, I don't care.

Lawr
12-17-2006, 03:46 PM
Scarmiglion came back from the dead! Now that's 1337! :cool:
Rubicant was a long and REALLY fun battle (HARD-TYPE :cool:) but I would say he was challenging I remember playing Hard-Type even earlier when I was 7 and I beat him.

lufia
12-27-2006, 12:34 PM
Rubicante is one of the reasons this game is so great :) .

when he mentions Lugar. who is Lugar and what role does he play?

havn't finished the game yet, im up to the final show down atm :D

Zeromus
01-28-2007, 10:12 PM
I like Rubicant a lot... yes... he is a gentleman and he fight with honor!... he cures u before battle just for a righteous battle...
What a pleasure fighting him!

Dr. Acula
01-29-2007, 08:23 AM
I like Rubicant a lot... yes... he is a gentleman and he fight with honor!... he cures u before battle just for a righteous battle...

Pleasure hmph! He's freakin unbeatable! What level do I need to be to beat him, level 50 or something?

robfinalfantasy
01-29-2007, 10:28 AM
You took the words right out of my mouth. Rubicant is an enemy who has class.

feioncastor
01-29-2007, 01:07 PM
I like Rubicant just fine. He's not very fiendish, but he's certainly a bad guy. He is on the bad guy's team.

On top of healing you, he also pisses Edge off to the point where he learns a couple of spells, which I take to be his way of helping out.

Zeromus
01-29-2007, 05:35 PM
You took the words right out of my mouth. Rubicant is an enemy who has class.

Yeah... maybe that's the word i was searching for... "class" ... :)
From his way of acting to his physical appearance he has the highest class i've seen on enemies... (maybe is more educated than ur own party xD)...

http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy4/Bosses/Rubicante1.gif http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy4/Bosses/Rubicante2.gif

Takara
01-30-2007, 01:52 AM
I always expected him to moon the party or something. I mean, come on, he looks like he's naked under that cloak! xD

But yah, he's a great character.

arcanedude34
03-11-2007, 04:57 PM
I don't care for the character much, but having him heal me before the four fiends battle rocked (I bet the other fiends were like "WTF! WHY DID YOU DO THAT?!?!?!?")

Setzer Gabianni
03-13-2007, 01:13 PM
Oh my gawd. Rubicante, along with Ultros, are my favourite FF villains ever. Well, there are others..

arcanedude34
03-13-2007, 08:51 PM
Gilgamesh, Ultros, and Sephiroth are my all-time favorite villains.

Mirage
03-13-2007, 09:01 PM
I don't really like people who try to kill me.

Verisimillipede
03-15-2007, 03:44 AM
And people try to kill you often, Mirage?

I think Rubicant is cool. But I like fire bad guys in general.

That picture reminds me that his leg and face is ugly

Vars
03-15-2007, 11:34 AM
That picture reminds me that his leg and face is ugly

He was burnt quite badly you see.... The operation left some cool swirly scars though :up:

BG-57
03-16-2007, 12:35 PM
I'm a sucker for honorable villains, so naturally Rubicant is a favorite of mine.

darksword12
03-22-2007, 03:23 AM
I always expected him to moon the party or something. I mean, come on, he looks like he's naked under that cloak! xD

But yah, he's a great character.

Everybody's thinking it... nobody says it...

XD

Yeah, but I still think Rubicante's awesome, and have since I first saw him.

Freya Coral
07-25-2007, 06:26 PM
I think Rubicant is one of the coolest FF villains of all time. He's a fire fiend, fire is so destructive, yet he is such a gentlemen. And he believes in fairplay, as shown by his trademark healing the party right before battle. He's pretty awesome imho.

I second that! I thought Rubicante was the coolest villain (aside from Sephiroth, of course.).

scrumpleberry
07-25-2007, 07:50 PM

I second that! I thought Rubicante was the coolest villain (aside from Sephiroth, of course.).

Thirded.

Hazzard
07-25-2007, 08:19 PM
Rubicante was awesome. He kept it so slick and so Gangsta...

Momiji
07-27-2007, 02:23 PM
He may heal you, sure, and he's a pretty nice guy, but I don't like him for one reason:
I CAN'T BEAT HIM!
I've never been able to get past him, and I have training my characters up. That's why I gave up playing ff4. Yes, I'm a quitter. No, I don't care.

Erm...you're serious aren't you?

Rubicante is by far the easiest to kill of the 4 Fiends (followed by Cagnazzo, Milon/Z, and Barbariccia). Just cast Ice Spells and attack with Ice-based weapons and he'll die quickly.

Heath
07-28-2007, 11:24 AM
While Rubicante is probably the easiest against the fiends, in terms of personality he's my favourite of the fiends. I do like how he was different from your stereotypical boss by the fact that he has a conscience and he does have honour, instead of exploiting weaknesses on a less-than-level playing field.

Genome
08-21-2007, 10:07 PM
Rubicante is surely one of the better villains in FFIV. Probably the best, actually.

starboyK
12-08-2007, 11:11 PM
I remember being an eleven-year-old kid playing what will always be Final Fantasy 2 in my heart (though not my mind) for the first time. I had just struggled past these 3 wicked ass sisters that seemed able to destroy my hopes and dreams over and over before I pressed on to meet this character that was the master of the seemingly chaotic element of fire. I had already seen him mop the floor with Edge, and I was intimidated. Then I met him. He greeted me with a revelry that has not been matched since. My friend and I talked endlessly about the first boss that seemed to match the knight that wanted to knock us all down in coolness of sprite look. Rubicant was that villian that was so self confident and kind that he was willing to heal us to give us a better shot at beating him. How he had gotten mixed up with Golbez perplexed me then as now, but later in life, I came to recognize him as the most lunarian of the fiends, emperors, whatever. His sense of justice was unparalelled and seemed to dwarf the sense of righteousness of my own party, and this led me to ideas that are relevant even today. This curiousness about what makes right, right or vice versa. Later in the game, my party was proven the pursuers of peace, and that alone justifies actions that many would consider barbaric, but what if we'd been wrong? Rubicant would then have been the most virtuous being in the game, and it must have been toward these sensibilities that Golbez was able to flatter Rubicant into his party.

Short answer: Rubicant is the most awesome fiend ever and the only one to come close is Tiamat.

p.s. One can only wonder what Rubicant's shorter party-sized self would have looked like, but I bet it would have been frikkin' awesome.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-16-2007, 11:25 PM
It's too old.