PDA

View Full Version : And Omg! I remember that because of -insert word here-

Avarice-ness
11-13-2006, 02:50 AM
I tend to remember moments in my life because of what I call a 'memory trigger' normally they're songs or sounds or a picture. I was playing the first Zelda the other day, and had like major 3 year old flashback of my sister playing the game and me watching, then the other night I had downloaded alot of Elvis, because I was obsessed with him when I was little, and I was trying to remember when I stopped listening to him, a song came on and I remembered it all perfectly, and then one day I was eating some gummy bears and I remembered buying them when I was about 5 or 6 at a store down at the beach.

Do any of you guys get that alot, where things will just BAM hit you with memories because of something that seems insignifigant?

Zeromus_X
11-13-2006, 02:55 AM
I know precisely what you mean, but I can't recall any at the moment. :(

nik0tine
11-13-2006, 03:06 AM
Smells do this to me.

Zeromus_X
11-13-2006, 03:11 AM
Me too, and certain sounds and music.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-13-2006, 03:25 AM
Music is a big one. It can remind me of a time in my life.

Also, if I see a picture or hear music of a game I really enjoyed, it can make me nostalgic for the game. For example, every time I hear music from Psychonauts I want to play it. That game was so awesome.

StarlightAngel
11-13-2006, 04:21 AM

What Zeromus_X said.

o_O
11-13-2006, 04:22 AM
Black Box - Ride on Time == Mum's aerobics classes.

Sylvie
11-13-2006, 04:24 AM
I tend to remember moments in my life because of what I call a 'memory trigger' normally they're songs or sounds or a picture. I was playing the first Zelda the other day, and had like major 3 year old flashback of my sister playing the game and me watching, then the other night I had downloaded alot of Elvis, because I was obsessed with him when I was little, and I was trying to remember when I stopped listening to him, a song came on and I remembered it all perfectly, and then one day I was eating some gummy bears and I remembered buying them when I was about 5 or 6 at a store down at the beach.

Do any of you guys get that alot, where things will just BAM hit you with memories because of something that seems insignifigant?

Yeah, I was playing RuneScape the other day, and I heard a certain song in-game and I was picturing myself playing RuneScape Classic back then. I love nostalgia, I'm very nostalgic.

~*~Celes~*~
11-13-2006, 08:02 AM
Ah, I get those all the time...I just can't think of any at the moment :p Must be my insomnia...

cat_manda
11-13-2006, 09:40 AM
I always listen to music when i'm on the net or reading, and ometimes i here a song, and i can remember exactly what i was reading/doing at that time...or i'd hear a song from a game/anime and i just think i should play/watch it again...but i never end up doing that :P

Iceglow
11-13-2006, 09:41 AM
i get them at times, but then I have an excellent memory too for the small things. I remember stuff that hurts me too much to list here but I remember them, I remember the exact words I said on certain occasions and exact looks on peoples faces. All my memories at the moment are like acid to me and they hurt me in ways I could only ever had imagined a few weeks back.

Fatal Impurity
11-13-2006, 11:43 AM
i get that all the time especially lately.......its like when i went down to the woods with my friend.....i remembered when me and him used to go there all the time....and that was like 9 months ago! its also like that when i play the original sonic on the master system i always flash back to when i first completed it......man that was awesome.....at this very moment im getting mass flash backs of my whole life! its surreal....its like a nostalgia overload!

Breine
11-13-2006, 12:49 PM
Smells do this to me.

Me too, as well as music and such... It's a very weird experience when something like this happens. Almost surreal.

Shaun
11-13-2006, 01:56 PM
Yeah, it happens to me. When I saw one of those cylinder things that phases between different colours and has water bubbling through it (basically like a really tall lava lamp with water) it reminded me of my nursery where they had loads of them and I was so fascinated by them. I was also reminded lately (perhaps by that) of a room in my nursery where there are loads of different coloured lights and cushiony platforms you can jump on.

What's weird to me is that I can remember almost the exact geometry of that place that I saw about... well, fifteen years ago? I personally find that odd. How does the mind store information about shape so well when you don't even pay attention to these things?

Mirage
11-13-2006, 02:31 PM
I have a ton of memory triggers. They're usually music or smells.

Jowy
11-13-2006, 02:33 PM
Aura from .hack//SIGN makes me think of Glast Heim Underprison. :(

Mirage
11-13-2006, 02:50 PM
I blame TwilightRO.

MastrProject
11-13-2006, 02:55 PM
I never remeber my child hood, I must be empty inside or...I zoned out so much when I was little probly 89% of the time I was zoned out so I wouldent remeber much.

Vikeve
11-13-2006, 09:01 PM
I know exactly what your talking about i get those alot.:p

mooglebunni608
11-13-2006, 11:31 PM

Yeah, same here.

Fatal Impurity
11-14-2006, 03:50 PM
why is it that you can never remember anything like that when you want to? its a curious thought is it not?

Zidane Ultimate
11-14-2006, 05:35 PM
Smells do this to me.
Me too, all the time.

Misfit
11-14-2006, 05:37 PM
Smells do this to me.
Yes.

Chloe.
11-14-2006, 06:26 PM
This always happens to me :bigsmile:

Ethanol Dreams
11-14-2006, 06:31 PM
Yeah, I get this a lot.

Like whenever I see a Twix, I get a flashback of walking through a shop next to a stand of Twix' and thinking "God, this Feburary feels as if it's gonna last forever!"

I was only small... :p

Vermachtnis
11-14-2006, 06:31 PM
The new game smell always reminds me of Pokemon Red cause that was the first instruction booklet I realized had the smell. And a certain brand of Beef Jerkey makes me think of .Hack//games. Specifically one of the Cubia fights, cause I was holed up a long time fighting that beast and eating Beef Jerky.

Yuna-Lenne
11-14-2006, 07:21 PM
Happens to me sometimes but I can't remember any exact ones right now. :P They're often memories I soon forget.

Vikeve
11-14-2006, 08:33 PM
Smells do this to me.
Yes.

It is tested that the sense of smelling brings back more memory than anything else including sight. I learned that on CSI he also explained why that is... but I forget it.:)

The Unknown Guru
11-15-2006, 12:18 AM
I went to a concert a long time ago, and I had some jelly beans there. I remember it every time I eat this certain flavor of jelly bean.

BardTard
11-15-2006, 01:55 AM

Same here! lol

Quindiana Jones
11-15-2006, 04:11 PM
What you call a memory trigger? LOL.

I have that all the time. Can't remember anything right now though.

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
11-15-2006, 06:39 PM
They're called Schemas
Music is a huge one for me.
People subconsciously assosiate certain things with times, people events etc with a Smell, sounds picture etc. I hate mine...