PDA

View Full Version : Barenaked Ladies

Xander
11-13-2006, 05:45 PM
Anybody else love them? Gordon is such a great album, I can't believe I only recently knew about it!

Life in a nutshell from Maybe You Should Drive is also one of my favourite songs. I still need to get a few of their albums, their newest hasn't grown on me *yet* but need to listen more.. People who have only heard "One Week" need to listen to all their old stuff! At least that's what I was told and I was glad I did :D

Sylvie
11-13-2006, 05:46 PM
I love these guys. They kick ass, my favorites are:

Who Needs Sleep?
One Week
Pinch Me

Roto13
11-13-2006, 05:46 PM
Be my (be my) be my (be my) be my Yoko Ono!

They're amazing! XD

XxSephirothxX
11-13-2006, 06:01 PM
I've got quite a few of their albums: Born on a Pirate Ship, Everything to Everyone, Gordon, Maroon, Maybe You Should Drive, Rock Spectacle, and Stunt. I think their best song is "The Flag" off Gordon. They have a lot of other songs that are really fun, though; some of the best are "One Week," "Another Postcard," and "If I Had 1,000,000 Dollars."

fire_of_avalon
11-13-2006, 06:23 PM
I love this band so much. I can't pick a favorite song, but "The Flag" definitely ranks high, as does "What a Good Boy" and "I Didn't Mean to Break Your Heart".

Fatal Impurity
11-13-2006, 06:25 PM
this is dconfusing....what is the band and why do they have stupid song and album names?

Jimmy Dark Aeons Slayer
11-13-2006, 06:31 PM
Ohhh i actually thought you were talking about almost naked sexy women....:(

Martyr
11-13-2006, 07:47 PM
this is dconfusing....what is the band and why do they have stupid song and album names?

It's a comedy band, like Wierd Al or They Might be Giants.

Listen to something they play, because it isn't bad, and then talk.

Roto13
11-13-2006, 07:56 PM

It's a comedy band, like Wierd Al or They Might be Giants.

They're not a "comedy band", they're an alternative rock band who have some funny songs. They Might Be Giants is also an alternative rock duo, except they seem to have a lot more of a comedy leaning.

Weird Al is a song parodist with a few original songs, which are also meant to be funny. He's great, but he's not in the same genre as TMBG and the Barenaked Ladies.

Jack
11-13-2006, 08:01 PM
I liked a couple of their songs. Pity my ex has them all.

Martyr
11-13-2006, 08:03 PM
Okay, Wierd Al isn't really in the same genre, but the Barenaked Ladies are, as far as i can tell, a band that leans toward comedy like They Might be Giants.

But, I guess, at the end of the day, maybe TMbG is far more silliness inclined.
I was simply trying to justify the humorous angle taken for angry omega up there.

Roto13
11-13-2006, 08:06 PM
Note to self: The use of quotation marks can make you sound annoyed when you're not. :P

Xander
11-13-2006, 08:07 PM
*makes jack listen to more BNL*

Yeah, they are definately not like Weird Al. TMBG are cool too, but definately more comedy as roto said (everybody wants prosthetic foreheads on their reaaal heads!)

I only really noticed that BNL slip in some funny stuff, but don't make comedy songs. Like in "If I had a million dollars" all of the lyrics make me laugh but the song is still kinda like a sweet love song. But I know what you mean Martyr, they do have a humorous angle :)

"I'd buy you a coat. But not a real fur coat, that's cruel!"

I think that's what makes them so unique and fun to listen to. Also the songs are just so catchy and you can sing along. Life in a nutshell is sweet "she's like a baby, I'm like a cat, when we are happy we both get fat". Genius :D

Roto13
11-13-2006, 08:11 PM
^^^ Yes, for the most part, it's more trying to slip something funny into a song to make it more light-hearted. Like that line in "Pinch Me".

"I could hide out under there. I just made you say 'underwear'"

Xander
11-13-2006, 08:14 PM
XD I don't remember listening to Pinch Me much...*listens*

What album is that on?

Roto13
11-13-2006, 08:21 PM
That would be track 3 on Maroon. (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4433102329982195833&q=Barenaked+Ladies+Pinch+Me) ;)

Xander
11-13-2006, 08:26 PM
Ooh, I love this song! I didn't know about this album. :heart:

edit - great video too! the chorus bit looks so fun.

Ichimonji
11-13-2006, 08:34 PM
I love the Barenaked Ladies. Their Greatest Hits album = win. I'm Canadian afterall.

Fatal Impurity
11-13-2006, 08:41 PM
hmmmm by your glorious praise of this band i think i'll try them out...thanks for the info! have a cookie :cookie: and join the association of evil today!

Griff
11-14-2006, 12:07 AM
I love the Barenaked Ladies. Their Greatest Hits album = win. I'm Canadian afterall.

Quoted for truth,

Spammerman
11-14-2006, 12:10 AM
Ohhh i actually thought you were talking about almost naked sexy women....:(