PDA

View Full Version : Why do the Japanese do this?

MJN SEIFER
11-13-2006, 08:10 PM
I've noticed in the Animes I watch and the Manga I read that the characters have a habbit of adding words after the name of of the person they are adressing, Words such as "Chan", "Kunt" (:eek:) and "San".

Why?

Azure Chrysanthemum
11-13-2006, 08:30 PM
The suffix -chan is a term of endearment, usually used amongst girls. The suffix -kun (not -kunt) is another affectionate term, usually used among friends, especially boys. The suffix -san is most closely equated with "Mr." or "Ms.".

Things you may also hear in manga and anime are -sama, which is for people of high rank like a lord or a king (or God, as the term Kami-sama implies). The suffix -dono is extremely respectful, and you rarely hear it outside of Rurouni Kenshin. It actually means "lord", in this case, but -sama is more often used in the case of a king.

If you have manga, you'll note that a lot of them, especially those published by Del Ray, have notes in the front or back of the book explaining this.

MJN SEIFER
11-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Excelent. thank you.

It's something I've been wondering since I was a child.

Fire_Emblem776
11-13-2006, 08:45 PM
Smile and be happy MJN SEIFER-kun ^_^

Roto13
11-13-2006, 08:45 PM
Because it's part of their language. A better question would be "Why do American teenagers do it?"

Madame Adequate
11-13-2006, 08:46 PM
Because it's part of their language. A better question would be "Why do American teenagers do it?"

Because it's part of their language. A better question still would be "Why do people get so pissy?"

Shoeberto
11-13-2006, 08:49 PM

Because it's part of their language. A better question still would be "Why do people get so pissy?"
Same reason people get pissy when white suburban kids try to act ghetto. They're making asses out of themselves.

Mirage
11-13-2006, 09:36 PM
What if black suburban kids do it? :(

Roto13
11-13-2006, 09:50 PM
What if black suburban kids do it? :(

Silly Mirage. There are no black people in the suburbs.

Meow
11-13-2006, 09:54 PM
I heard Mikey-kun is pure ballin', son.

MJN SEIFER
11-14-2006, 07:24 PM

It's not just "American Teenagers" Plenty of Non-American Adults and Non-American Kids do it (Not to mention Non-American Teenagers)

Roto13
11-14-2006, 07:42 PM

It's not just "American Teenagers" Plenty of Non-American Adults and Non-American Kids do it (Not to mention Non-American Teenagers)

Adults who actually act like adults don't do that. :P

But yeah, I probably should have said something like "non-Japanese teenagers", since asses know no borders.

Nasarian Altimeros
11-14-2006, 11:45 PM
"Kunt"
I loled