PDA

View Full Version : final fantasy XII is going to be underrated

the_sandman
11-14-2006, 03:07 AM
i hope you guys know that. wait til ps3 comes out and FFXIII comes out. no ones going to care about ps2 no more. why do you think FFIX isnt as popular as VII and VIII? why do you think VII and X is like the most popular FF out? vaan isnt going to be a cloud or squall or a tidus. he's going to be an unknown character like zidane.

Zeromus_X
11-14-2006, 03:25 AM
Final Fantasy IX has many reasons why it wasn't as popular as FFVII or VIII. It isn't really a fair comparison to FFXII, but then again, FFXII hasn't been out for too long, so I think we can just wait and see without jumping to conclusions.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-14-2006, 03:34 AM
Nomura and Kitase's stuff is specifically engineered to appeal to the tasteless masses. The more angst in the characters, the more black leather in the costumes, and the more nonsensical the plot, the more popular their games are guaranteed to be. It's only natural that a work with actual depth and integrity such as FFXII can't hope to compete for the attention of the mainstream in the long run.

Timerk
11-14-2006, 03:40 AM
It doesn't really matter what the mainstream legacy of XII ends up being, today it is the bee's knees.

Yeargdribble
11-14-2006, 03:51 AM
The reason people don't like FFIX is this:

A lot of newer players came to the series when FF VII was released. A good number of these were graphics whores and fanboys.

FFIX was supposed to be a throw back to all of the older games (most specifically I-VI). Sadly, the new graphics whore fanboys didn't play those games and ended up hating FFIX because they just didn't get it all.

I can't really know what it would be like to have played FFIX without knowledge of the previous games in the series. Maybe it falls limp, but I didn't find it to be so.

This thread seems to be inspired by the graphic whore concept of ditching old games for new technology and forgetting that there's more to games than pretty graphics (story? gameplay? wtf are you talking about? Where are the goddamn FMVs?).

Leonffs
11-14-2006, 04:39 AM
But since when does popular opinion matter? The game is as good as it is to you, that is how much enjoyment you get out nof it. Other than that it doesn't matter; it still sells tons for Square-Enix, and that's all that matters to them.

aerithsloveslave
11-14-2006, 07:56 PM
Remember that many, many fans consider FFVI to be the best in the series and that game is three system generations old now. Let the fanboys have their fun. The REAL fans will stand firm behind great storylines and gameplay over flashy graphics.
That being said, I'm still looking forward to XIII. ;)

Fate Fatale
11-14-2006, 08:49 PM
I, like other here, rely on good old storylines and gameplay. However, if the game has a horrible battly system I may not be able to play it.. I started playing FFs at VII, then went back to pick up IV and those are the only one's I've played. No I, II, III, V, or VI for me. :()

Madame Adequate
11-14-2006, 09:50 PM
Have you seen the reviews and comments from the community about FFXII? It's Kind Of A Big Deal, quite clearly.

lulz @ Kishi.

Moon Rabbits
11-14-2006, 11:47 PM
Nomura and Kitase's stuff is specifically engineered to appeal to the tasteless masses. The more angst in the characters, the more black leather in the costumes, and the more nonsensical the plot, the more popular their games are guaranteed to be. It's only natural that a work with actual depth and integrity such as FFXII can't hope to compete for the attention of the mainstream in the long run.

I agree with Nomura's stuff being marketed to the mainstream market based on what will sell instead of what is well-done and thought out, but not Kitase. He's done some stellar stuff, his work in FFVIII and VII included.

Miriel
11-14-2006, 11:58 PM
The original post does not make any sense to me. People who like the game right now aren't suddenly gonna stop liking it once ps3 comes out. To think that is kinda absurd. And there are a lot of people who like this game. As far as I can see, FFXII has been embraced with open arms.

ps. I loooved FFIX. It had Vivi!

Leonffs
11-15-2006, 12:15 AM
Remember that many, many fans consider FFVI to be the best in the series and that game is three system generations old now. Let the fanboys have their fun. The REAL fans will stand firm behind great storylines and gameplay over flashy graphics.
That being said, I'm still looking forward to XIII. ;)The latter sounds more like the fanboys to me, letting tradition and "old school" take precedence over quality. Don't get me wrong, 6 was good, but I just get so much more fun out of this.

ValiantKnight
11-15-2006, 04:30 AM
Erm why was IX so bad compared to those?

Out of I, IV, VII, VIII, IX, X, and Tactics, my favorites would have to be I, IV, and IX.....

Cecil > Cloud
Zidane > Tidus
Ramza > Squall

That's just my opinion though and how I feel.

1. When PS3 comes out millions of people are still going to care about the PS2 because the PS3 won't launch with oodles of games to justify immediate purchase. Also PS2 will have more than enough gaming wise to keep them happy til PS3 becomes established.

2. PS3 has a hefty price tag. This alone will slow its assimilation.

3. FFXII has plenty of time and plenty of ability to become well liked and remembered before anything tries to challenge it.

BustaMo
11-15-2006, 05:51 AM
With all the throwing around of words like "graphics" and "compared to other games", I'd like to point out that almost every one of the FMV's in Final Fantasy IX, could still top almost any FMV from any other game in the series. The FMV graphics were pure beauty in FFIX.

FFIX: One of my favorite games of all-time, as will be FFXII when I finish it. I could care less what others think. I'm not going to let someone's words about FFXII being the last on the PS2 tarnish what I believe is good about FFXII.

nik0tine
11-15-2006, 05:58 AM
This game is already overrated.

LunarWeaver
11-15-2006, 06:09 AM
I like Nomura's, Yoshida's, and Amano's designs :(

I doubt XII will be underrated... In fact, years from now, I could see people looking back at XII as a pivotal moment for the series in the same regard as IV's introduction of the ATB bar or VII going fully 3-D.

And I love IX :jess: They're all good pretty. Games are there to have fun, people need to lighten up with the personal politics on everything. I go by a "like it" or "don't like it" policy, and I don't pay attention to any other factor then that. Though I guess that's not commonplace thought, so Nomura's designs probably do cator to the masses and reel in the teenie crowd much better.

But XII has already sold plenty of copies, so even without Nomura's designs it's not like the game bombed or something. In fact, some of the designs are completely different, but some seem rather similar to me... Add a zipper to Vaan's vest, another belt to Ashe, and give Vayne silver hair and you'd pretty much have it.

Anyway, I don't see the Ps3's existence stealing this game's place within the series' history.

the_sandman
11-15-2006, 07:21 AM
The original post does not make any sense to me. People who like the game right now aren't suddenly gonna stop liking it once ps3 comes out. To think that is kinda absurd. And there are a lot of people who like this game. As far as I can see, FFXII has been embraced with open arms.

ps. I loooved FFIX. It had Vivi!

i'm not saying people dont like FFIX. its just that its not as popular. FFXII is very popular right now, but like i said..wait til XIII comes out. it will be forgotton (just incase people take "forgotton" literally, heres a better word...ignored), while games such as FFX and FFVII will be making appearances everywhere such as kingdom hearts game, those weapon websites that only sell squall's gunblade, tidus's water sword, and clouds buster sword. i'm sorry, but vaan isnt going to be no squall or tidus, or cloud. balthier will be more popular than vaan. just like vivi is more popular than zidane.

LunarWeaver
11-15-2006, 07:37 AM
You talk like Tidus is more popular than Auron.

And VII, VIII, and X's characters are specifically pulled for the Kingdom Hearts series because Nomura designed those characters and he was hesitant to use Amano's designs such as Vivi and Setzer.

I don't really think it will happen with this one...IX gets most of its slack from art-style alone (for some reason). XII is full of realistic people for players to goggle, and XIII won't even be around until 2008.

Even when it does hit shelves, I firmly believe that XII will still have its spotlight shining just fine. VI was the last title for the Super Nintendo, and it doesn't look like anybody forgot about that.