PDA

View Full Version : DBZ Remastered

JKTrix
11-14-2006, 05:09 PM
Watch (http://media.funimation.com/trailers/DBZ/DBZ_S1_RMSTRD_trlr.asx)

I'm actually pretty excited about this. While DBZ is far from the best anime I've ever seen, it was my first and I am pretty nostalgic about it. I had always intended to get the entire series in some kind of permanent format, and this looks like it will be *the* definitive colelction to get.

Bullet points to those who don't feel like watching:

-All 291 episodes consistently in box sets
-Uncut
-Newly Remastered in widescreen HD from original Japanese masters
-'Revised English Audio' (did they re-dub it?) in 5.1 surround sound
-Original Japanese audio, naturally
-Extras on how they re-mastered the whole thing, among others

I'm a little concerned that the widescreen thing means they cropped the image a bit, but meh. Feel free to tease me :P I'm just a huge DBZ fan on the inside (the K in my username stands for 'Kakarott'...)

MJN SEIFER
11-14-2006, 07:22 PM
It already got remasterd on telly. They changed the music, cut out even MORE and replaced various lines. I hope this is different.

JKTrix
11-14-2006, 07:42 PM
As mentioned, this is the uncut version. Meaning, nothing is cut. The recent releases were all uncut as well, but this version will have several more enhancements.

MJN SEIFER
11-14-2006, 09:31 PM
That's brilliant

Craig
11-14-2006, 09:38 PM
Uncut. So in other words another 5 hours of Goku and the bad guy floating around and talking while the world has 1 minute to blow up?

Bad Guy: This is my full power!
Goku: Well this is my full power!
Bad Guy: Oh fuck, you're strong. I lied before, that was only 1% of my full power.
Goku: Super Saiyan!
Bad Guy: Okay, I give up you win. Kill me.
Bad Guy: Oh wait, I'm back alive and 10x stronger.
Goku: Super Saiyan 2!
Bad Guy: ...

NorthernChaosGod
11-15-2006, 06:35 AM
Yay! :cool:

*adds to Christmas list*

Paro
11-15-2006, 06:58 AM
This will be wicked. I'm going to force my girlfriend to watch the whole thing with me, by the end of it she'll be speaking japanese.

RiseToFall
11-15-2006, 07:26 AM
This will be wicked. I'm going to force my girlfriend to watch the whole thing with me, by the end of it she'll be speaking japanese.

Actually she's going to start screaming and go all super saiyan on your ass.

JKTrix
11-15-2006, 01:00 PM
Uncut. So in other words another 5 hours of Goku and the bad guy floating around and talking while the world has 1 minute to blow up?

Bad Guy: Oh smurf, you're strong. I lied before, that was only 1% of my full power.

'Cept now... you can hear it in JAPANESE!

MJN SEIFER
11-15-2006, 05:27 PM
Bad Guy: Oh smurf, you're strong. I lied before, that was only 1% of my full power.

Well done! you've just summed up the whole series in the space of nine sentances :D

bipper
11-15-2006, 05:54 PM
Despite its long windedness, I really did like the story and the basic mechanics of the world and the powerlevel system. I am very stoked for this collection, an I hope to get the whole thing at once, instead of waiting months on end for subsequent releases. With this set include the movies?

JKTrix
11-15-2006, 06:18 PM
They only said 'all 291 episodes', so I don't think it includes the movies. I'm fairly certain that the movies are being released in their own little box sets anyway. Whether they get the HD/widescreen treatment remains to be seen.

The core story elements were actually fairly good, even if it did boil down to predictability. After all, it was made for young boys. DBZ is a legend among anime: not only is it the most successful anime ever, but it blazed the trail for anime outside of Japan and continues to be the inspiration for new series that followed. The creators of Naruto and Bleach directly credit Dragonball as being their inspiration to get into that line of work, and I'm sure many others would as well.

Not only as an anime connoisseur but as a fan of the series, I will be proud to have the entire collection (and pay for it) in one cohesive set.

Captain Maxx Power
11-16-2006, 11:08 AM
Does anyone know how much this would be in Yen?

JKTrix
11-16-2006, 01:34 PM
Info obtained from the press release
(http://www.animeondvd.com/news/pr.php?pr_view=859).

The suggested price for each box is $49.98 (5,892 JPY today). The first set will be 5 DVDs with 39 episodes on it. Apparently, this version actually retains the "original Japanese score" with the english dub over it, instead of the cheesy replacement music they had previously. This is quite a deal.

NorthernChaosGod
11-16-2006, 11:54 PM
I don't want to have to buy them all separately like that, will they be selling all 291 episodes as a package?

Sylvie
11-17-2006, 12:02 AM
I only liked the first 2 episodes. The Cell saga was crap, I remember like 4 episodes where they just stare at each other the whole godamned time. Piss off.

Evolavas
11-17-2006, 12:03 AM
I would have been really excited if this would have come out a year or two ago, I used to worship that show.....The price is probally gonna be outragious.

Eiko Guy
11-17-2006, 04:10 AM
It should have stopped after cell and if it did continue there should have been a way for non-saiyan good guys to get a good attack power

Moon Rabbits
11-17-2006, 04:13 AM
I would have been really excited if this was Sailor Moon.

Sephex
11-17-2006, 06:46 AM
I am sold on it ONLY if the japanese audio thingy means that it will contain the original sound AND music. None of that rock bull**** that is used in the american version.

EDIT: Saw the post that explains this. Cool. Though, I do hope there is an option to listen to the audio vocal japanese track AND music at the same time.

NorthernChaosGod
11-17-2006, 08:20 AM

DBZ > Sailor Moon

JKTrix
11-17-2006, 12:44 PM
To reiterate:

These DVDs are not being released individually, they are all being released in sets. No, it is not all 291 at the same time. That would be unattractively expensive. The first set is 5 DVDs with the first 39 episodes of the show for $50.

As for the music, I believe this means that the 'rock BS' is completely removed from this edition and replaced with the 'digitally remastered' original Japanese score. It might be selectable, though. So yeah, the Japanese language will naturally play on the Japanese music, which hasn't been on DBZ DVD releases before, other than the movies.

I'm kinda hoping they'll at least have "Rock the Dragon" in the extras, but if not I'll always have the awesome 3D rendering of DBZ Budokai.

Fatal Impurity
11-17-2006, 01:02 PM

i laughed with mirth and merriment......so JKTrix what exactly did they cut from the american tv series thats so important that everyone prefers the jap version?

JKTrix
11-17-2006, 04:17 PM
Well, one of the most glaring continual edits were all manners of Master Roshi's perversion. But for a more detailed list of the episodes:
DBZ Uncensored (http://www.dbzoa.net/dbzu/)

The Intro (http://dbzoa.net/dbzuncensored/intro/index.html) goes into some detail, and mentions that there are several 'snippets' here and there in the english tv dub to make it shorter.

For a brief abridged version of the first several episodes, check this link (http://dbzoa.net/dbzuncensored/series/gallery01.html). 'Red' background means 'Cut entirely from the original US TV version'. 'Green' Background means 'Censored', and if you put your mouse over it, they show you the difference between the censored and original version.

NorthernChaosGod
11-18-2006, 12:49 AM
To reiterate:

These DVDs are not being released individually, they are all being released in sets. No, it is not all 291 at the same time. That would be unattractively expensive. The first set is 5 DVDs with the first 39 episodes of the show for $50.

As for the music, I believe this means that the 'rock BS' is completely removed from this edition and replaced with the 'digitally remastered' original Japanese score. It might be selectable, though. So yeah, the Japanese language will naturally play on the Japanese music, which hasn't been on DBZ DVD releases before, other than the movies.

I'm kinda hoping they'll at least have "Rock the Dragon" in the extras, but if not I'll always have the awesome 3D rendering of DBZ Budokai.
That is bologna.

Buying all 291 episodes would save money compared to buy each box set separately. :mad2: It would just be plain more convenient.

That's how it is with everything.

Paro
11-18-2006, 03:04 AM

Actually she's going to start screaming and go all super saiyan on your ass.

she saves that for the bedroom! :D

Cruise Control
11-18-2006, 03:05 AM
Oh, great. So I can watch sweaty men grope at each other and grunt,while acting constipated and changing their hair color. Wonderful.

Sylvie
11-18-2006, 03:09 AM
Goku must have some serious BO.

Cruise Control
11-18-2006, 03:10 AM
Have they hit super saiyan 47 yet, or did they hit 100, and start using letters?

Shoeberto
11-18-2006, 03:10 AM
39 episodes for $50 is a steal compared to other anime box sets. I always thought it was insane how they'd charge $19.99 for a single DVD with four episodes on it.

I don't know that I'm very interested in buying it, but it does give me hope that anime DVD box sets may come down in price. Maybe. Hopefully.

Roto13
11-18-2006, 05:58 AM
Oh, great. So I can watch sweaty men grope at each other and grunt,while acting constipated and changing their hair color. Wonderful.

Sounds like Friday nights at my house.

Fire_Emblem776
11-18-2006, 10:13 PM

Sailor Moon DVDs have been out. They are no longer made though, so good luck with that. The R2 quality is ^_^

NINJA_Ryu
11-19-2006, 02:05 AM
So i assume, with all 291 eps, they mean sayian through buu? I saw mostly vegeta, nappa, saibemen, and at the end goku in SS form, so it seemed like it was the entire first saga, clarify?

MecaKane
11-19-2006, 03:06 AM
Why would you put it in widescreen! It just cuts parts of the picture out like what they do when putting movies into standard TV. If you have a widescreen TV you can just do the zoom thing for the same effects!

Also DBZ sux :X

Croyles
11-19-2006, 12:29 PM
I have never seen a worse trailer in my life!

No.78
11-19-2006, 12:41 PM
It looks the same...

Pfeh, the manga will always be better.

JKTrix
11-20-2006, 07:58 PM
I was a little perplexed at the Widescreen decision, but 4:3 to 16:9 works out better than the reverse. At least when I watch this on my screen, it will fill it up all the way, though I'd generally prefer to see the whole picture.

It's not a trailer like a normal movie trailer, it's simply an announcement for this new (and possibly final) release of the series. It's a super special collector's edition.

To answer NINJA_Ryu's question, when they say 291 they mean 291...meaning All. So yes, it includes Buu. They aren't being released all at once, rather in box sets. It wouldn't be wise for them to dump them all at the same time, or put them all in one big box set. That would cost more than a PS3, and I'm sure most people wouldn't think DBZ is worth that kind of money in one big lump sum.
The first box set contains the entirety of the Saiyan saga, 39 episodes on 5 DVDs for $50. I havent' seen anything further regarding future releases so I'm not sure if every box will be an entire story arc or not. This first set doesn't come out till February.

This is an attractive package for any DBZ fan, which is who this is targeted for: the DBZ fan who wants the entire package in one consistant format.

Edit: Rightstuf.com, where I get most of my anime, actually has this for $37.49 currently. You get a pretty decent discount if you pre-order stuff there.
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/yWnIRlCC3ro6YUOg5l/browse/item/70376/4/0/0

JKTrix
01-03-2007, 02:50 PM
Funimation has released a new video detailing the technical aspects of the Remastered edition. It includes comparitive footage of the original broadcast version and their remastered widescreen version

Click this to download it. (23.6 MBs) (http://media.funimation.com/trailers/DBZ/dbz_tech_Large.mov)

I'm still quite excited about this. This clip included footage from the movies as well, so they will be remastering the movies. They did say the entire DBZ series.

However, when they were stressing the fact that it was 100% uncut, every frame of the original animation will be shown and whatnot, they neglected to put in a very important part that was consistently cut out.

Kamesennin/Master Roshi's perversion.

http://www.dbzoa.net/dbzuncensored/graphics/screencaps/ep002kamegrabj.jpg

MJN SEIFER
01-05-2007, 06:43 PM
I just suddenly thought.

Is 5 mins even longer in the uncut.

JKTrix
01-05-2007, 07:53 PM
I don't get it.

MJN SEIFER
01-05-2007, 09:35 PM
Any fellow anoracks want to explain it?