PDA

View Full Version : [A] Paper bags (in progress)

Rye
11-14-2006, 09:31 PM
I feel like showing this in progress! Except I'm starting by showing it about half done. xD

Okay, let me explain this project. We were given a spotlight, a designed still-life of brown paper bags, bogus paper (brownish-grey paper, very absorbant), a large charcoal stick, a long thin charcoal stick, a white pencil, eraser, and a blending stick. I didn't use the large charcoal stick or the blending stick, as you can tell, so far. I'm not a fan of blending sticks anyway.

Anyways, the project was to be done in pretty much three values, the light in white pencil, the dark in charcoal, and the midtone would stay as the paper color. I had three bags in my still life set up for me. I have one bag completely done, the second (the one about the completed one) mostly done but in need of pushed values, and the third/right most one that needs the most work. Besides the completed one, there's going to be a lot of midtone value or all a dark value because they lack the crinkles and folds that give off the interesting white next to black details.

Okay, so this is what I've done so far. I'll have more to show you guys tomorrow. I'll hopefully be done with the bags mostly by tomorrow, then I'll have the castshadows.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/ryechu2u/artprojectbag.png

What do you think of what I've gotten done so far? Also, keep in mind that the 2nd bag will have values pushed, and it won't remain somewhat light. xD Thanks! :)

black orb
11-15-2006, 12:29 AM
>>> I can see your finger..:o

Looks pretty good so far, Im sure the final result will be great..

Chemical
11-15-2006, 01:17 AM
Work those values girl.
I want the full range! The blackest black to the whitest white!

Have you ever done a negative drawing?

Craig
11-15-2006, 01:23 AM
You have a talent for making things look like they come out of the paper. Like that other pic you drew a while back with the christmas lights and what not.

Rye
11-15-2006, 01:51 AM
Thanks a lot, guys! :) And that's not my finger, unfortunatly. xD I got a friend to press that corner down. I bite my nails so they're not so pretty.

Work those values girl.
I want the full range! The blackest black to the whitest white!

Have you ever done a negative drawing?

Okay! I'm going to do that as my last touch. I just need to get everything colored in, then the values will be pushed~

And um, I think so, if you mean something such as white pencil on black paper, so you have to shade in the light rather than the shadow. If so, I did a self portrait like that recently! Here: http://forums.eyesonff.com/showpost.php?p=1926914&postcount=7 :D

Chemical
11-15-2006, 02:09 AM
Well close Rye! But notice in that one how the difference in value give your image more depth? I love it. Very dramatic.

A negative drawing is just the opposite of drawing.

When you draw, you add by making pencil marks on a page.
A negative drawing is when you subtract from a page.
You do this by completely covering your page in charchoal or graphite then using a moldable eraser to take away the medium.

http://www.sibleyfineart.com/tips/t8_draw_neg.gif

This is an example of negative drawing where the charcoal was added first making the surface completey black then the eraser was used to reduce value by blotting and line erasing.

I Don't Need A Name
11-15-2006, 08:59 PM
*worships* thats all i have to say

Polaris
11-15-2006, 09:00 PM
A-M-A-Z-I-N-G :bigsmile:

Rocket Edge
11-16-2006, 01:50 PM
I'd like to see it completed. :up:

Chloe.
11-16-2006, 05:39 PM
I'd like to see it completed. :up:

Yes, me too :p That's really good :bigsmile:

Rye
11-16-2006, 07:28 PM
Thanks so much guys! I'll probably have it completed by the middle/end of next week. :)

Jess
11-16-2006, 11:39 PM
That is looking really good so far, Rye. I can't wait to see the final product. :jess:

I Don't Need A Name
11-24-2006, 05:43 PM
Rye, progress report!? :D

Rye
11-27-2006, 09:13 PM
Awww, don't worry! I'm pretty much done, I'll have the pictures by tomorrow if I bring my camera. I appreciate that you want to see. :)

And it's very contrasty now, Chemical, I followed your advice and I really like it. :)

Rye
11-28-2006, 08:31 PM
I'm nearly done with this. It would be mostly done but there's something really off about the right most bag. I think I need to keep more of the midtone (the paper color) on it, but the whole thing just frustrates me. xD I want to just crop it out. I'm happy about pretty much everything else though, I just have to finish the values on the face of that bottom bag, the area with a lot of white.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/ryechu2u/artproject.png

Anyways, here it is. I'd like some advice on the rightmost bag (and the rest of the picture, too), but remember that the rightmost bag is still not completely done. Only the left two bags are done, sans that white-ish face of the bag on the bottom crinkly bag. :)

Polaris
11-28-2006, 08:38 PM
Wow pretty cool! That is taking you a lot of work! ;)

Chloe.
11-28-2006, 09:00 PM
Oh wow. :bigsmile: That looks amazing, great work. :jess:

Rocket Edge
11-28-2006, 09:16 PM
I don't think there is much wrong with the right bag. Keeping in mind you are drawing a flat part of a paper bag, and it's also against two other bags that show more than one side of it to give it a 3D effect (which the right doesn't have).
Other than that, a fine drawing. I know how messy working with chalkes can be, so trust me, this is great. :up:

Do you always work with chalkes as your chosen media?

Rye
11-29-2006, 12:11 AM
I don't think there is much wrong with the right bag. Keeping in mind you are drawing a flat part of a paper bag, and it's also against two other bags that show more than one side of it to give it a 3D effect (which the right doesn't have).
Other than that, a fine drawing. I know how messy working with chalkes can be, so trust me, this is great. :up:

Do you always work with chalkes as your chosen media?

Yeah, that's true. This angle was rather hard and it didn't have a lot of detail so it was pretty tricky. I think I just need more midtone in it.

Thanks! They are messy, but fun. xD And we started using them in my Drawing & Painting 2 class, and I really love them, so I think they may just be my chosen media, but we experiment a lot in this class. The idea is that this is the last class offered in my school except for AP (Advanced Placement) Art where you mostly go on your own and use your own chosen medias to do most of your projects. :)

41-Inches-Wide
11-29-2006, 12:41 AM
That really looks amazing Miss Rye! I like the way the paperbags are outlined both in black and white and that the fallen paper bag is so crumply! :3

Rye
11-29-2006, 08:37 PM
Thank you! :)

Here is the finished product. Done, yaaaaaay! The right bag is so much better now, I just ended up really completely doing most of the shading in it and I like it so much more.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/ryechu2u/paperbagdone.png

Chloe.
11-29-2006, 08:47 PM
Yay! It's finished! :D and it looks great! :bigsmile: I never thought a drawing of paper bags could look so good. ^__^

Rocket Edge
11-30-2006, 07:29 PM
Looks great. The main differance i see is that it's tidied up a bit. :up:

I Don't Need A Name
11-30-2006, 10:20 PM
Yay! It's finished! :D and it looks great! :bigsmile: I never thought a drawing of paper bags could look so good. ^__^

I second that

Chemical
12-01-2006, 06:34 AM
That looks really good Rye, the contrast adds a lot.

Are you doing anymore touchups? My only suggestion would be to use a smudge tool to soften edges and work in a gradiant.

Rye
12-01-2006, 07:37 PM
Thanks very much, everyone. :)

That looks really good Rye, the contrast adds a lot.

Are you doing anymore touchups? My only suggestion would be to use a smudge tool to soften edges and work in a gradiant.

I might do that. I never really liked using the smudge tool much, but we're doing a new charcoal project (a still life on metal cans, eggs, and garlic) and I started doing it for the metal cans and it looks so great, so I'm kind of hooked now. xD