PDA

View Full Version : Late fees

Rusty
11-15-2006, 09:12 AM
We've all been guilty of not returning something. Library books, videos/DVDs, games etc. I forgot to return a couple of DVDs the other day and I had had them out for 2 weeks and one of them was an overnight new release so it was $70. Yes, I said $70 - it's quite sad. So, you know, that's the last time I ever rent out a DVD.

Do you often have late fees? What was your worst late fee? Do you have any fees owing now?

RiseToFall
11-15-2006, 09:16 AM
$125 for a book I got from my college library, I threw it in my car and totally forgot about it. They sent me a notice, but my parents are foreign and they just threw it away.

Riana
11-15-2006, 09:17 AM
When I was in full-time work I was terrible at returning Games and DVDs. I remember the most I've ever paid for a late game was £30. That was for about a month. x.x

Thank God for University. The late fee for books would be about 50p per week.

Iceglow
11-15-2006, 10:31 AM
In the UK its mostly done as, you pay up to the value of the dvd, game or whatever. Past that and I tell them I'll be in there later to pay and just never go back in, they won't bother you too much.

I've done some good ones, once had a book out of the library that they wrote it off as lost cause. If I actually had to pay the fees it would have been in excess of £200 but I just got a 2 year library ban, I could enter the buildings but not rent anything or become a member again for 2 years. I wouldn't mind, my mom got the book out on my card and kept insisting she had returned it!

Miriel
11-15-2006, 10:56 AM
Netflix doesn't have any late fees. :cool:

But back in the day when I used the old video rental method, I got late fees dumped on me ALL THE TIME. >_>

Xander
11-15-2006, 11:02 AM
I think my most was about 20p for a 2 day late library book. If I know something has to go back, I return it. :p

Rye
11-15-2006, 11:32 AM
I think a few nickels from the public library for keeping a book a few days late. xD

Timerk
11-15-2006, 11:38 AM
At my high school they round up all the kids who have library late fees a month before the year ends, then threaten to withold our report cards unless we pay up.

It is a great day to socialize.

Anaisa
11-15-2006, 01:10 PM
I never pay any late fees. I insist it's their fault, an refuse to pay. I used to just put the videos in the drop in box at Blockbuster an claim I put it in there days a go. Then at the library I used to claim I had already asked for an extension on the book, or if I'd kept the book or lost it, I'd say my library card had gone missing, an that I had already reported it.

Polaris
11-15-2006, 01:17 PM
Nope I never rent anything at my school... But usually when I rent something I just give it in the other day!

bipper
11-15-2006, 02:47 PM
I still have 'Maid in Manhattan' from like two years ago! :confused:

White Raven
11-15-2006, 02:53 PM
I currently owe 1$ (CND) on a book at UofT's library (I think it's for a book on Cryptozoology), but I refuse to pay it, since I despise that library with a passion.

:)

Jowy
11-15-2006, 03:01 PM
$350 for Disgaea: Hour of Darkness. >_>;

Loony BoB
11-15-2006, 03:32 PM
Goodness graciouis me. I don't think I've ever returned something late (well, pretty sure I've never been charged if I did, anyway).

fire_of_avalon
11-15-2006, 04:13 PM
Our library rents out study rooms in four hour blocks. I rented one and went over by a couple of hours. They're trying to charge me $30 for the late fee. wtf.

Reles
11-15-2006, 05:03 PM
I always had late fees on my books from the library, ah man those detentions were the best. You could just sit on a computer or skim through books, which is pretty much what I did all the time anyway. I've never really had any serious late fees though, I've forgot a few movies a day late, paying those sucks.

yumi
11-15-2006, 05:06 PM
I still have books I got out from the library when I was 5. After 15 years I'd hate to think what the fine would be!

Quindiana Jones
11-15-2006, 05:16 PM
I didn't pay ebay once, and they threatened to sue me. I payed them then.

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
11-15-2006, 05:17 PM
I've still got £10 on my college library card for 2 books I had overdue over half term.

Roto13
11-15-2006, 06:36 PM
I did it a couple of times with the library when I was a kid, but I just dropped the books in the night return slot and never looked back. Because I'm badass. I've never owed, like, ten dollars or anything.

starseeker
11-15-2006, 06:46 PM
I once had a book out for so long that my mum had to pay for a replacement. During a recent clean-out of my room I found the book. I'd had it out for 5 years.

XxSephirothxX
11-15-2006, 07:07 PM
I used to get library fines all the time, but when I was working there I could just take them off and renew my books however many times I wanted. :D

Anaisa
11-15-2006, 07:44 PM
I still have 'Maid in Manhattan' from like two years ago! :confused:
That's really unfortunate.

Vikeve
11-15-2006, 08:18 PM
I often purpously loose my library card so that I don't have to pay late fees.:)

Alex151
11-16-2006, 05:12 AM
haha, I dont have my library card anymore and I had to check a book out for a class report, and they told me not to regret letting me check it out, and I still haven't turned it back in, I don't know how much I owe but they can't really make you pay, can they? they threaten to not send home report cards, but that's doing us a favor

Yamaneko
11-16-2006, 05:14 AM
I'm afraid to check anything out from the library because I owe them like $50 in late fees. :p

The Summoner of Leviathan
11-16-2006, 05:18 AM
I still owe the public library like three dollars in late fees and also a movie rental place for returning two movies late last year...I always try to return on time. I just forget about them though...

Martyr
11-16-2006, 07:02 AM
I paid out $17.00 once for keeping a book too long.

It was a chess book. Frankly, I wanted to keep it, but they ouldn't let me buy it (Why would they? They make money charging me a fee, as much money as the dumb book is worth, and then they keep the book anyway this way.)

Ashi
11-17-2006, 11:57 AM
I've never returned a library book late, but years ago when we used to rent VHS sometimes I returned them late because of not having a ride. VHS store rules aren't that strict here... they have no problems selling the exact same stuff they rent out. I used to sometimes go down to see if they had any other copies to sell of certain movies and they just told me to keep the one I had and they just wouldn't be returning the rental charge.

Faris
11-17-2006, 12:41 PM
$15 for a book from the school library, and in a public library, $5 is the most I've had to pay for a late fee. I tend to get things in as soon as I'm done with them, in those situations, I just forgot that I even had them out :p

sephirothishere
11-17-2006, 01:14 PM
I didn't pay ebay once, and they threatened to sue me. I payed them then.

hahahaaahah...if you did it liek those malaysian buggers do and jus use bogus accounts to sell stuff they cant catch you and then paypal or whatever has to pay the insurance...hahahahahah....dont try this kids....stay in school.....*pause*....NOT!!!!!!