PDA

View Full Version : IGN Review

J23
11-15-2006, 06:34 PM
http://ds.ign.com/articles/746/746066p1.html

7.8/10

6.0Presentation
The storytelling is great, though the overall usage of dual screens is very slim. Though the game has a dated feel, it’s still classic Final Fantasy, which will be hit or miss for players.9.5Graphics
Stunning. Final Fantasy III looks beautiful, and the FMV work just adds to the already impressive visuals. It’s truly better in 3D.9.0Sound
The orchestral score is emotional and driving, though it isn’t the best of the series. The audio provides the necessary mood of the game, and it does great job throughout.7.0Gameplay
Final Fantasy III feels a bit dated, but still achieves the classic spirit of the game and is a ton of fun. The job system was deep for its time, but is a bit lacking by today’s standards.8.5Lasting Appeal
Along with the main game the DS offers moogle mail and new side quests. The battles can get stale, but the overall adventure could last hardcore players well over the 60 hour mark.

LOL

They took off points for not utilising the dual screens enough:eep:

Lunadis
11-15-2006, 06:40 PM
Even outside of FMVs, it was said some of the dungeon graphics also required both processors to properly render certain intents.

I don't know why they mention the two second load times like it's a horrible thing. Much better than the 1-3 minute load times on the PSP.

As for dated gameplay, I don't get the game until later today. However; I love the brutal punishment the earlier titles have upon the players, so I'm sure I'll enjoy this game. =P

Jowy
11-15-2006, 07:07 PM
People still take IGN seriously?

Sefie1999AD
11-16-2006, 12:11 AM
I've never really seen a remake of an old game getting a good score. At least now it got a nice score for graphics and sound, usually those get a low score too. As usual, the gameplay is considered "old by today's standards" and the presentation isn't given too high a grade. However, it doesn't really matter since these remakes are mostly for fans, and they'll probably like those remakes better anyway.

Yamaneko
11-16-2006, 01:55 AM
EGM gave a 8.0-8.0-7.5.

Their main gripe was with the poor story and extreme difficult level.

Nasarian Altimeros
11-16-2006, 05:40 AM
Less than Xenosaga Episode II? Ouch.

Although it doesn't really surprise me, since from what I've heard they haven’t really gone out of their way to improve anything from the NES version besides graphics and added personalities to the PCs.

Raebus
11-16-2006, 12:02 PM
To be honest, the only fault with the old final fantasys (1 to 3) were the lack of personality with the characters. As long as they have some kind of personality, I'd still buy it.

Sefie1999AD
11-16-2006, 03:41 PM
EGM gave a 8.0-8.0-7.5.

Their main gripe was with the poor story and extreme difficult level.

First, surely they weren't expecting the remake to create a whole new story that is extremely deep and doesn't have anything to do with the original FF3j story (not that storyline even was a major part of the game in NES games back then)? Second, I wonder why so many people are complaining about the difficulty. I don't think FFIII even was all that hard (at least on NES), and there are harder FFs out there. For example, I have a feeling FFXII is even harder than FFIII.

Lexy
11-16-2006, 04:15 PM
I also am very suprised with people saying it is too hard. 'Extreme difficulty level'?!?! I was dissapointed that this game was too easy (seemed much easier to me than the famicom version). You literally don't have to level up at all. And I agree that XII (for example) is waaayy harder. In the first place, I don't understand why difficulty would be a weak point...
Difficulty is obviously subjective, but if someone thinks this game is too hard, then they must think some of the other FF's are difficult to the point of being unplayable.

Lunadis
11-16-2006, 04:56 PM
I find the game is only easy because there are way too many treasure chest after finding out the simplest secrets. Killing monsters to remove Crystal Sickness and doing sidequest gives more than enough exp.

As for docking marks in regards to the often empty upper screen, that's kind of stupid. I've played the DS since they released it, and Final Fantasy III is the only game in which I've totally forgotten there was an upper screen except cinematics.

I'm loving the game too much. Enjoying it far more than modern Final Fantasy games, and since I've been playing since Final Fantasy NES, I feel right at home. Maybe there is some bias in my tone, but I'd give it about a 9/10.

J23
11-17-2006, 12:55 AM
I also am very suprised with people saying it is too hard. 'Extreme difficulty level'?!?! I was dissapointed that this game was too easy (seemed much easier to me than the famicom version). You literally don't have to level up at all.

I'm with you there. Compared to the original version, I'm breezing through this game. I didn't even have to grind to defeat Djinn.