PDA

View Full Version : Just beat it! Discuss definate spoilers!!!

NINJA_Ryu
11-17-2006, 05:25 AM
well, tonight I finally beat it, and as it was a first for me, and i tend to put alot of emotional investment with long games, especially RPGs, I wanted to know how you guys felt/reacted once you finally beat the game.

This is also a place to talk about highlights of the game that you enjoyed.

And due to a time constraint, ill post more later.

o, and i forgot to add a exclamation mark between discuss and definate.

Wolf Kanno
11-17-2006, 09:42 AM
Though FFVI was the first FF I played, FFIV was the first one I owned and beat. This is perhaps my second favorite FF game and I found the ending to be one of the best, cause it tells you what happens to everyone. I felt really sad for Kain though...

Zeromus_X
11-17-2006, 02:06 PM
The music when you beat the game and Golbez leaves and then him and Cecil come to terms and the moon goes away and the music and the propehecy and <3.

Ender
11-17-2006, 03:21 PM
I really do like the story, but I found the game somewhat tedious, particularly because, as has been discussed in the "where are the jobs?" thread, you lose the chance to "build" and experiment with your characters. Repeatedly fighting just to raise some numbers so you can keep fighting things that will continue to raise your numbers at the same rate is not all that fun to me, compared to gaining new abilities or improving on old ones (besides HP and power) as you play through the game--the only aspect of FFIV that really had that was the spells.

Still, the end of the game really made up for any of its faults for me. The Lunar Core and the final battle are flat out fun, and rewarding because they're pretty challenging even at fairly high levels. Zeromus is not a terribly great villain personality-wise because he's barely "in the game" (a fault FFIV shares with FFI and III), but he offered a really intense, heart-pounding battle for me, the best I've had in the series so far. And then of course the ending "movie" that concludes the character's tales is excellent. All in all it left me feeling good, and feeling like the several-dozen hours I put in were worth it in the end, and that's all I really ask for at the end of the day.

Darth Cid
11-17-2006, 11:15 PM
Enough with the jobs. The jobs were no good in FFIV imo. When FFV went back to jobs, character interaction was badly destroyed to me.

Character Interaction > Character Experimentation

NINJA_Ryu
11-18-2006, 12:27 AM
Well, if there should be a spinoff, FFIV deserves credit, especially with Kain.

As for me, i spent the last quarter of the game just going through the dungeons after getting badly beaten by zeromus the first time, but when i went back at 60+, he was pretty simple. I had a huge mothersmurfinig grin on my face throughout the final cutsence ^^

Im really glad that i got the music now too, Prelude ftw.

As a villian goes, zeromus wasnt that great, but it was more about golbez and cecil, and thier interaction and relation was excellently done, IMO.

Another thing that got me into it was just the memorable charachters like Cid and Edge, and i almost fell out of my chair laughing when i found out there was a thing between edge and rydia, or so edge wanted to think :P

Evastio
11-18-2006, 01:20 AM
I thought the ending was really awesome because it felt so complete. Everyone ends up happy. It's also quite amusing at some parts. (Like when Palom sits on Cecil's throne)

NINJA_Ryu
11-18-2006, 04:39 AM
Cept for Kain, We need resolution! Also, it would be cool to see how the lunarians ended up, after leaving earth orbit ^ ^

Bahamut2000X
11-18-2006, 04:53 AM
FFIV was one of the better endings to the series I thought. It even went so far as to show the non main party members at the end. Really had a nice ending over all, had some awesome Cid/Edge interaction, and of course Palom being his crazy self.

Overall one of my favorite endings to a game.

Goldenboko
11-18-2006, 01:32 PM
Cept for Kain, We need resolution! Also, it would be cool to see how the lunarians ended up, after leaving earth orbit ^ ^

This is something that I don't agree with. Endings in life are never perfect, so endings in games shouldn't be either. Kain is the thing balancing the Happy/Sad ending of this game.

Sefie1999AD
11-18-2006, 03:08 PM
*SPOILERS!!!*

I think the ending was pretty well done, wrapping things up nicely for almost everyone. The only problem I had was that the dialogue in each character's ending (from Palom/Porom's ending to the wedding) goes way too quickly, especially in the GBA version, so I missed almost half of the things they said in the ending of FFIVA. :mad: I thought everyone uniting to fight the Giant of Babel was my favorite part in the game. The dungeon inside the Giant was cool too, and there were some great twists inside the Giant, such as the battle against Four Fiends and the revelation about Golbez.

Cruise Control
11-18-2006, 03:34 PM
Kain still acts like an effeminate baby.

But Lunar ruins have some plot tie-ins (especially Kain's :eek:)

Ender
11-20-2006, 04:49 PM
I thought everyone uniting to fight the Giant of Babel was my favorite part in the game.

Agreed!

It's my favorite moment in the first five FFs. The Giant starts mucking stuff up and I'm thinking, "OH man, this is not good." Just when everything seems hopeless there comes a, "Rally ho!" and the cavalry comes rolling in! Only to be topped when the rest of your buddies come with the airships. I have a game saved just before the return to the planet just so I can watch that scene whenever I want.

Sefie1999AD
11-20-2006, 06:20 PM
*MORE SPOILERS!!!*

Agreed!

It's my favorite moment in the first five FFs. The Giant starts mucking stuff up and I'm thinking, "OH man, this is not good." Just when everything seems hopeless there comes a, "Rally ho!" and the cavalry comes rolling in! Only to be topped when the rest of your buddies come with the airships. I have a game saved just before the return to the planet just so I can watch that scene whenever I want.

I have loads of save games just before some great parts in different FFs, including before everyone joins forces to fight the Giant of Babel. There's several other parts in FFIV that I can watch again thanks to some earlier save games I kept, such as the Spoony Bard scene, Tellah vs. Golbez and fighting the Four Fiends. :)

Evastio
11-20-2006, 09:37 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds the Giant of Bab-il Battle awesome. :D

ValiantKnight
11-20-2006, 11:49 PM
It was a nicely timed moment with good music and actions that took place :)

But then again, so was alot of FFIV.... this was just the icing :)

NINJA_Ryu
11-21-2006, 12:52 AM
Another good part that i enjoyed was the Cecil trial at mt Ordeal, i felt that it was very nicely done, especially the first glimpse of Golbez!

VeloZer0
11-22-2006, 02:56 AM
Definitely a great overall presentation. One of my favorite aspects of the game was the party formations. In other games that try to achieve character switches/leavings it usually turns out to be a large annoyance. In FFVI it was something that made the plot that much more compelling. Nothing makes your story more epic than to have half your party members wiped out by the grueling battles you encounter. (I thought it was kind of weak how they brought them all back at the end.)

Evastio
11-22-2006, 03:13 AM
Definitely a great overall presentation. One of my favorite aspects of the game was the party formations. In other games that try to achieve character switches/leavings it usually turns out to be a large annoyance. In FFVI it was something that made the plot that much more compelling. Nothing makes your story more epic than to have half your party members wiped out by the grueling battles you encounter. (I thought it was kind of weak how they brought them all back at the end.)
Them all coming back was one of my most favourite parts though. :( It made the story feel a lot more hopeful.

Wolf Kanno
11-22-2006, 06:27 AM
Another scene I loved was the stuff leading up yo the final battle with Zemus. Starting with FuSoYa and Golbez's battle with Zemus to fallen comrades who lend their strength to your party and finally Cecil using the crystal to destroy Zeromus' first form. It was pretty damn epic and made you look twice at when it was made.

VeloZer0
11-22-2006, 04:19 PM
I personally find when characters come back like that it just seems to somewhat cheeped their sacrifices. Plus, a story where everyone survives doesn’t seem nearly as desperate where half the people don’t make it out.

If game writers want to convince you of how tough times are I can't think of a better way than offing a few characters. (Though I will admit I am find what most people call depressing to be inspirational)

Wild0ne
11-22-2006, 06:01 PM
Well how about the part about FFIV allowing 5 members at once?? Good stuff!!

My favorite part of the game was when you are up against Golbez in the underground and he paralyzes your whole party and his "pet snake" is about to gobble you up...Then you a DRAGON comes, whips the snake, and here comes.....RYDIA!!!!

Que the music!! Its time to kick some Golbez booty!! You want some of this? I DIDNT THINK SO!!!

Ender
11-22-2006, 06:35 PM
[quote=Wild0ne;1992980]My favorite part of the game was when you are up against Golbez in the underground and he paralyzes your whole party and his "pet snake" is about to gobble you up...Then you a DRAGON comes, whips the snake, and here comes.....RYDIA!!!![quote]

Yeah, that is also an awesome part of this game...one of those moments where I was almost overwhelmed by how much it rocked.

I'm also a fan of the Party of Five instead of four, or the later three. At first it seemed a bit overwhelming, but once I got used to managing them all I loved it. In fact, when I play(ed) the games that used a party of four, I always wish(ed) I had one more for miscellanous stuff like stealing and buffing instead of wasting attack opportunities to do those things.

NINJA_Ryu
11-22-2006, 11:00 PM

tellah didnt make it....:(

but then again, no one likes him ><

Sefie1999AD
11-24-2006, 10:32 PM
Many of the scenes mentioned in the recent posts are great moments in the game, such as Cecil turning into a Paladin, Rydia returning and you being able to defeat Golbez, and the beginning of the final battle. When Rydia returned, I was like "Alright! Now you're going down, Golbez!"

The final battle with Golbez and FuSoYa defeating Zemus and everyone sending their prayers to Cecil and others with the Prologue music playing in the background was great, although I didn't think the final battle itself was as impressive. It was challenging and had its good parts, but I just wasn't too impressed about fighting a giant bug. The part about Zeromus casting Meteo in the end was good, though.

Wolf Kanno
11-25-2006, 09:05 AM
I also loved being turned into a pig or toad in Mysdia;)

Sefie1999AD
11-25-2006, 04:10 PM
Do you know what else was fun to do in Mysidia? After you've been turned into a Pig or a Toad, go and talk to that person again. S/he'll say something rude to you (or dance) and cast a spell on you, but that spell just turns you back to normal. :D

NINJA_Ryu
11-25-2006, 06:02 PM
Aw sweet, could have saved some money then....

my best part was the airships. Now, i know they were around before, but this was the first ff ive played exstensivelyt, and i just spent a good long while just zooming everywhere ^^

Cezanzo
11-26-2006, 04:18 AM
The part with the giant of Babil and everyone coming together to fight and stuff was an awsome part, but going inside the giant and fighting the CPU (or whatever it's called) was my least favorite part of the game. It was very suprising though. At first you think Golbez will be the final boss, when...omg! Here comes Zemus! Then again WTF? you dont even fight Zemus and you end up with Zeromus. His Big Bang attack hurt me alot the first time I fought him though :P
But my favorite part was when everyone prays and you get the big whale. It comes out of the ocean and you get to ride in it! You dont get to ride in a whale everyday, do you?

Sefie1999AD
11-26-2006, 01:39 PM
Isn't Big Whale just the name of the spaceship? I mean, I never thought the ship was a whale, the ship was just named the Big Whale. Sorta like how KH's Gummi Ship was called Excalibur, but it wasn't a sword.

Bahamut2000X
11-26-2006, 05:29 PM
Well it is shaped likea whale, and is a huge space/air-ship hence the name whale.

It was a nifty final airship in an FF though. I say it beats VIII's pathetic attempt of a space-airship easily. I mean it's a frickin giant whale shaped space-airship that has a crystal in it that powers it to travel to the moon. Plus it has a fat chocobo onboard. I mean how can you beat that?

Wolf Kanno
11-26-2006, 11:12 PM
Though far from a good scene, it wins a memorable if not infamous moment... Fighting that damn Dark Elf, in that horrible cave, that prevents you from wearing armor or using real weapons.

Lynx
12-01-2006, 06:49 AM
i beat FFIV when i was like 6 or 7 for the SNES back then it was FFII. and when i first beat i msut say i was quite proud of myself haveing only beat probably 3 or 4 other video games at the time. it was actualyl the 3rd FF i beat. when i was young i didnt catch most things but then i when i rebeat it a few years ago for play station it was a more emotinal victory.

i felt bad for kain but at the same time what happened with him made the story better because it wasnt a completely cliche happy ending.

the whole thing with golbez and cecil jsut have to imagine how hard of a battle that would have been in real life.

and the saddest part in the whole game. palom and porom saveing everyone in Baron.

one of my favorite scenes is when you get kain back and you see at the top of the screen "jump kain jump" might only be in the SNES version not sure?

and the area that had me pumped and feeling there was no turning back was when you egt to the subterain in the bottom of the castle where it plays the cool music and you fight only powerful enemys.

sorry i had a lot to say about this game:D