PDA

View Full Version : worst translation

ishashobar
11-18-2006, 02:17 AM
which of the early US releases got the worst translation?
a few nameable ones are FF1, FFIV(II), and a few parts in VII("Off coarse!" says Cloud)
mine would have to be FFIV. it is funny how bad they translated some things

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-18-2006, 02:25 AM
From the main series, I'd say FFIV (http://demented3d.com/ffiv) and FFVII definitely got it the worst. But in terms of the entire franchise, there's never been a more miserable translation than that of Final Fantasy Tactics, which was actually scribbled in full on a cocktail napkin while the head translator was in the line for the restroom one night.

LunarWeaver
11-18-2006, 02:42 AM
My poor FFVII. FFTactics isn't exactly Alexander O. Smith either.

Griff
11-18-2006, 02:42 AM
Four words: This Guy Are Sick, nuff said

Firo Volondé
11-18-2006, 03:45 AM
Four words: This Guy Are Sick, nuff said

That was one line. FFIV (see KR's link) had more poor english lines than well-translated lines. I've never played Tactics, so I can't say on that one.

Shiny
11-18-2006, 04:04 AM
FFVII is definitely full of mistranslations.

http://www.ffcompendium.com/misc/aresick.jpg
http://www.ffcompendium.com/misc/offcourse7.jpg

Firo Volondé
11-18-2006, 04:34 AM
OK then. Two lines. :greenie:

Nasarian Altimeros
11-18-2006, 04:58 AM
It was far more than two lines. I didn't even pick up on those the first time I played through the game; it was that horrible Honeybee line that got me ("Err poo...I mean sir...hurry", or whatever. The point is it was stupid).

I agree though: FFIV was at least nine, if not nine and a half times as badly translated as FFVII.

Dragon Mage
11-18-2006, 05:00 AM
'You spoony bard!'

'Hmm, so that's how you fooled them.'
'Hmm, so that's how you'll fool them.'

Oh, it gets pretty bad.

blackmage_nuke
11-18-2006, 07:05 AM
1 word - Butz

but really i dont find any of the games too badly translated, some of them make me laugh which is good.

Nasarian Altimeros
11-18-2006, 07:08 AM
1 word - Butz
Butz was never used in any official translation for FFV.

Sefie1999AD
11-18-2006, 03:49 PM
All FFVII lines have been fixed in the PC version, so I don't think FFVII can be said to have the worst translation. It has such a large script anyway that the amount of typos and errors is quite small in terms of percentage. I think FF"2" SNES has the weakest translation, although FFV PSX's names are quite horrible, and FF Tactics has its really weird parts too, such as "Defeat Dycedarg's eldest brother!"

EDIT: Pics of various translations in FFVII PC and FF Tactics. Oh, and the "That's how you fooled them" has been completely changed in FFVII PC:

"Hey! Is that a "Member's card" I see shining in your hot little hand? Please, come in."
CLOUD: "Looks like I need to go inside to complete my disguise."
AERIS: "... Hmmmm. Sure, good excuse..."
CLOUD: "See ya!"

Darkja
11-18-2006, 04:32 PM
I remember one part in vii where you're on your way to corel I beleive, taking the bridge, but you need to go around and lower it... the switch says something like ( use me ^^;; )

Wolf Kanno
11-19-2006, 08:27 AM
FFIV, when it was released as FFII in the U.S. It was FFIV with a lobotamy and it read like it was written by a six year old with down syndrome. Chronicles fixed it though, to a point.

FFV is my next choice, somehow I get the feeling that Faris didn't have to say "Argh" in order to start and finish a sentence. The localization seemed pretty rushed to me.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-19-2006, 10:17 AM
FFV's script was cobbled together from remnants of an unfinished SNES translation, after all. But I don't think it had any points where the writing was so bad that it left the player with no idea what had just happened, as with the other aforementioned games.

Zeromus_X
11-19-2006, 10:23 AM
It's gotta be Final Fantasy Tactics. Somehow I think that game might be alot less confusing if it were actually translated properly.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-19-2006, 10:31 AM
Given the ineptitude of the overall translation, it's actually amazing that the story is as understandable as it is. These people couldn't tell "breath" from "bracelet" but somehow managed to convey a harrowing tale of war and deceit without making a complete mess of it.

Twilight Edge
11-19-2006, 01:14 PM
In FFVII, there is a part where you give the chocobo a Mimett Green in order to obtain the Contain materia. But, Tifa says 'Samolen Greens' instaed of 'Mimett Greens'. VERY big mistranslation.

IceAngel
11-19-2006, 05:40 PM
FFX isnt badly translated at all.
'When I grow up I wanna be a blitzball!'

This typo still amuses me tho :)

Croyles
11-23-2006, 05:45 PM
"Attack while its tail is up!"

I was really annoyed when I first played FFVII and died on the first boss! lol

Also, "This guy are sick"
And "If press X button while walking to run", "Off course", and many more.

Zeromus_X
11-23-2006, 07:24 PM
Becaause you are a puppet.

blackmage_nuke
11-24-2006, 09:08 AM
FFVII is definitely full of mistranslations.

http://www.ffcompendium.com/misc/aresick.jpg
http://www.ffcompendium.com/misc/offcourse7.jpg
Does any one else think the comma in "No, way" shouldnt be there?
Thats more annoying to me than "Off Course" which just sounds cool.

feioncastor
11-24-2006, 01:17 PM

...I am a puppet?

I loved the translation in FFT.

"Defeat Dycedarg's Elder Brother"
"!!!" (Used numerous times)
"Mogri"
"Rich"
"Stasis Sword" = "Steady Sword"
And I think EVERY time the game says "Bracelet" in an attack, they actually meant "Breath", as in "Ice Bracelet" or "Fire Bracelet".

Nasarian Altimeros
11-24-2006, 01:20 PM
I'm fairly sure it was 'beacause'.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-24-2006, 01:23 PM
Yes, it was. I could never forget the typo that ruined such a crucial line within such an important scene.

Jessweeee♪
11-24-2006, 04:05 PM

I was really annoyed when I first played FFVII and died on the first boss! lol

That always made me mad...

*Attack*

"It'll counter with its laser!"

What, now?

*Cloud attacks*
*Laser*

WTF???

Zeromus_X
11-24-2006, 05:44 PM
I'm fairly sure it was 'beacause'.

Oh, you're right. Well, that's even better (or worse...)! :D :cat:

Peter_20
11-24-2006, 08:04 PM
Not really a mistranslation, but the line "Blasted monster!" from FF2 Origins is pretty damn funny. XD

Jessweeee♪
11-24-2006, 08:40 PM
My favorite is the little kid in Kilika.

"I wanna be a blitzball when I grow up!"