PDA

View Full Version : Pronounce it already!

Fate Fatale
11-18-2006, 02:51 AM
Yep, it's that time again. How do YOU pronouce the names or places in this game.. (I disreguard the speaking parts.. the names usually sound funny to me)

Vaan: Von
Penelo: Pee-nell-o
Balthier: Ball-thee-er
Fran: Fron
Basch: Bos-sh
Ashe: Ash
Vossler: Voss-lah
Vayne: Vain
Larsa: Los-sah
Ghis: Giss
Gabranth: Gab-ronth
Drace: Dr-a-s
Rabanstre: Robin-ass-ter
Belias: Bay-lee-os
Cid: Sid

Meh.. too lazy to write more... How do you pronounce things? Fun, fun fun...

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-18-2006, 02:56 AM
I disreguard the speaking parts..And here I'd thought all this "I'm going to use my pronounciation, regardless of what's actually correct" nonsense would have gone away with the inclusion of full voice acting. I guess there's just no getting through to some people.

Fate Fatale
11-18-2006, 03:06 AM
Well, :rolleyes2 I enjoy having ym own pronunciation rather than the voice actors, because mine sound better to my ears rather than their's... I've tried to block them out ever since I've heard them. :D

LunarWeaver
11-18-2006, 03:32 AM
I call Balthier "Bally", does that count? I seem to have a name ending in "y" for everything, though.

Tavrobel
11-18-2006, 03:39 AM
I disreguard the speaking parts..And here I'd thought all this "I'm going to use my pronounciation, regardless of what's actually correct" nonsense would have gone away with the inclusion of full voice acting. I guess there's just no getting through to some people.

I'll remember that when I go to sleep wonder why they keep pronouncing "marquis" wrong. But otherwise, it truly is a wonder why they wouldn't use the correct pronunciation of a name that is fictional and given directly from a writer source.

Roto13
11-18-2006, 04:11 AM
Tidus - Tee-dus

Ashley Schovitz
11-18-2006, 04:25 AM
Tidus - Tee-dus

that's how most people pronounce Tidus and your pronounciations are all wrong thread starter Rabanastre is prounounced (Raba-naster)
Basch is a one syllable word so it should be (Bosh) Vossler is Vossler and Larsa is Larsa, I just recently found out after just seeing Advent Children that Bahamut is pronounced (Bahom-it) I always though it was pronounced (Ba-ha-mut). The way they say Marquis seems fine to me.

The Summoner of Leviathan
11-18-2006, 04:30 AM
No matter what, to me they say "marquis" and "fęte" wrong. Definitely the latter is pronounced wrong. I am a firm believer of French words being pronounced in their native language, or how they are suppose to be. I had a teacher at my HS with the last name Blanchette...some of the things I heard other students and teachers say makes a part of me die inside.

Tavrobel
11-18-2006, 04:35 AM
The way they say Marquis seems fine to me.

It's rather unfortunate that they got it wrong, then. French may suck, but there's no need to butcher it.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-18-2006, 05:13 AM
In practice, "marquis" is an English word at least as much as it a French one, and the English pronounciation is therefore considered to be equally correct. In other words, you can't rightly place priority in a certain language's pronounciation of a word that is common to multiple languages.

Orophin
11-18-2006, 05:44 AM
French may suck.

How can a language suck? I don't see how french is bad, it's just another way of speaking.

Fate Fatale
11-18-2006, 06:27 AM
:( this is getting off topic!

Tidus - Tee-dus
This is for Final Fantasy XII exclusively.. Notice that it's in the FFXII forum.

...your pronounciations are all wrong thread starter Rabanastre is prounounced (Raba-naster)
Basch is a one syllable word so it should be (Bosh) Vossler is Vossler and Larsa is Larsa, I just recently found out after just seeing Advent Children that Bahamut is pronounced (Bahom-it) I always though it was pronounced (Ba-ha-mut). The way they say Marquis seems fine to me.

Um, did you not read all of the post? I said that I don't the like the game's pronunciations, and I have my own. So obviously they would be different from the game.

SoupForInsanity
11-18-2006, 07:44 AM
If there's voice acting I just take those pronunciations over anything else I may be thinking, as it's hard to get it out of my head after I hear it.
That and half of my games are in Japanese, so like... the katakana kind of forbid you to read it any other way than how it's written. I first played FFX in english and I pronunced it "Tye-dus" since they never say his name in the game (I know this is an FFXII thread, sorry.) then when I was looking at my friend's booklet thing in Japan it was like "tee-da-su" or "teedus" I went "NO WAY." I like the sound of tye-dus better, so that's how I always mentally call him.
But again, if their name is actually spoken in a game, I tend to take that pronunciation as law.:D

Madame Adequate
11-18-2006, 12:41 PM
In practice, "marquis" is an English word at least as much as it a French one, and the English pronounciation is therefore considered to be equally correct. In other words, you can't rightly place priority in a certain language's pronounciation of a word that is common to multiple languages.

Whilst mar-kwis is an accepted pronunciation, it is clearly an incorrect one and, since I have been alive, the only people I have heard saying mar-kwis instead of mar-kee are the people in FFXII. Every other instance of the word I have ever heard has been the French version, which happens to also be an accepted English pronunciation of the word. And also the correct, not retarded pronunciation.

Dell
11-18-2006, 02:22 PM
MAY HAVE SPOILER!!!!

Vaan: Vaan/Fun
Penelo: Fe-nel-lo
Balthier: Bal-Tear
Fran: Friend
Basch: Baschs
Vossler: Vos-Ler
Larsa: Lar-sa
Ghis: Gis
Gabranth: Gab-run
Drace: Drace
Rabanastre: Ra-ba-nest-ter
Balfonheim: Bal-Fond-Hime
Archadia: Ar-K-Dia
Archades: Ar-K-This
Dalmasca: Dal-Must-Car
Kerwon: Ker-Won
Nabradia: Nub-Bra-Dia
Nalbina: Nal-Bee-Na
Nalbinite: Nal-Bee-Night
Rozarria: Ro-Zar-Ria
Omisace: O-Mi-Sase
Golmore: Goal-More
Paramina: Paa-Raa-Me-Naa
Eruyt: E-root
Giruvegan: Gee-roo-vegan
Jagd: Yuck
Raithwall: Red-Wall
Phon: Fon
Tchita: Ter-Cheata
Sochen: So-Ken
Cerobi Steppe: See-ro-bee Stay-pay
Mosphoran: Mosque-Four-Ren
Salika: Sa-li-ka
Nabreus: Nub-Re-Use
Nabudis: Na-Boo-This
Barheim: Bar-Hime
Garamsythe: Ga-Rum-Site
Henne: Hiinee
Ogir-Yensa: O-giir-Yen-Sa
Nam-Yensa: Nam-Yen-Sa
Bhujerba: Boo-Jer-Ba
Lhusu: Loo-Shoo
Ridorana: Ree-Door-Ra-Na
Pharos: Paa-Ros
Sainikah: Sai-nee-kah
Parivir: Paa-ree-veer
Parijanah: Paa-ree-Ja-nah
Bangaa: Ba-Ngaa
Seeq: Sheek
Viera: Vie-Ra
Garif: Ga-Rift
Cockatrice: Cock-Cat-Thrice
Urutan: Oo-Roo-Taan
Baknamy: Buck-Na-Me
Ba'Gamnan: Buck-Gum-Nan
Bwagi: Bwa-Gee
Rinok: Ree-Nook
Gijuk: Gee-Juk
Venat: V-Nut
Oquelia: O-Quee-Lia
Purvama: Puur-Va-Ma
Bancour: Ban-Core
Naldoa: Nal-Doa
Difohr: Dee-Four
Ramooda: Ra-Moo-Da
Kytes: Kites
Filo: Fill- Lo
Dalan: Da-Laan
Migelo: Mee-Gay-Lo
Landis: Laan-This
Strahl: Stral
Al-Cid: Al-Sid
Anastasis: Anas-Thesis
Kiltias: Kill-Tias
Reddas: Red-Das
Montblanc: Monk-Blung
Gurdy: Ger-Dy
Jote: Yo-Tay
Mjrn: Me-Yern
Krjs: Kir-Just
Ktjn: Kitty-Jen
Monid: Mo-nid
Bansat: Bun-Sud
Nera: Nei-Ra
Rena: Re-Na
Rael: Rail
Alja: Al-Ja
Gramis: Gra-Mist
Raminas: Ra-Mi-Nas
Rasler: Rust-Ler
Marquis Halim Ondore: Mar-Kwis-Ha-Lim-On-Door
Solidor: So-Lee-Door
Belias: Bay-lee-yas
Mateus: Ma-Tius
Shemhazai: Sham-ha-zai
Hashmal: Harsh-mal
Famfrit: Farm-freed
Adrammelech: Art-Drum-Mer-Lack :heart:
Zalera: Za-Lei-Ra
Cuchulainn: Ku-Ku-Line
Exodus: Eat-Zo-Does
Chaos: K-Yos
Zeromus: Zero-Moose
Ultima: Al-Tee-Ma
Zodiac: Zo-Dee-Yuck

Timerk
11-18-2006, 02:26 PM
This thread made baby Jesus cry.

Roto13
11-18-2006, 03:38 PM
...your pronounciations are all wrong thread starter Rabanastre is prounounced (Raba-naster)

Um, did you not read all of the post? I said that I don't the like the game's pronunciations, and I have my own. So obviously they would be different from the game.

Well, if you don't mind being wrong, more power to you. I'd just suggest you use the actual correct pronounciations for these words when you actually say them to other people or you'll sound like a moron.

Raistlin
11-18-2006, 05:06 PM

Whilst mar-kwis is an accepted pronunciation, it is clearly an incorrect one and, since I have been alive, the only people I have heard saying mar-kwis instead of mar-kee are the people in FFXII. Every other instance of the word I have ever heard has been the French version, which happens to also be an accepted English pronunciation of the word. And also the correct, not retarded pronunciation.

:love: :love: :love: :love:

I've never heard "mar-kwis" before, either.

Bahamut2000X
11-18-2006, 06:22 PM
Since I've been alive it's always been 'mar-kwis' I've heard maybe once or twice it as 'mar-kee'. Then again french people tend to shy away from me, ya'know, being German and such. >.>

But anywhos I mostly pronounced them like they did in the game, except for how they said Bahamut, they sounded so stupid annunciating every syllable. >.<

Mercen-X
11-18-2006, 08:30 PM
I just don't understand how Sephiroth can be Sephiroth if Aerith is Aeris. . . . oops! Wrong thread.

Bluntly, if I met these people and had a pronunciation in my head of their names, I'd likely call them by that and only change it if they corrected me several times.[QUOTE=Dell;1986570]Vaan: Van
Penelo: Pen-uh-lo (penelope wafers)/Penny for short
Balthier: Baltheear
Fran: Fran (like Fran Drescher)
Basch: Bash or Bask
Vossler: Vos-ler
Vayne: Vayn
Larsa: Larza
Ghis: Geese or Jiss
Gabranth: Gab-rinth
Drace: Dr'-ace
Reddas: Red-S (to be proper, I wouldn't say ass even if it were really part of someone's name)

Fate Fatale
11-18-2006, 08:42 PM

Well, if you don't mind being wrong, more power to you. I'd just suggest you use the actual correct pronunciations for these words when you actually say them to other people or you'll sound like a moron.

Oh, believe me, I do. When I'm all alone, I sometimes yell at my monitor (I use my monitor as a TV) when they say it funny. It's quite fun, and makes me feel better. I try not to sound like a moron, but my pronunciations sometimes slip out.

Aya Nekoneko
11-18-2006, 09:15 PM
Ashe: I was used to AH-SHAY... cos that was how her name was in Katakana. Now I use ASH.
Penelo: Once again, was used to PEN-E-LO... Now I say it like they do in the English version of the game.
Basch: BOSH
Vaan: VON
Balthier: BAHL-THEER
Fran: Erm, Fran. As in the "old lady" name.
Eruyt: E-RU-EET

Croyles
11-19-2006, 04:51 PM
Im fine with most of the pronounciations in the game. Apart from Bahamut.

Spammerman
11-19-2006, 05:03 PM
Ifrit- instead of ifreet i use ifrit
Vaan, i alternate between von and van.

Moon Rabbits
11-19-2006, 07:01 PM
Vaan: Von
Penelo: Pee-nell-o
Balthier: Ball-thee-er
Fran: Fron
Basch: Bos-sh
Vossler: Voss-lah
Larsa: Los-sah
Ghis: Giss
Gabranth: Gab-ronth
Drace: Dr-a-s
Rabanstre: Robin-ass-ter
Belias: Bay-lee-os

The letter "o" does not make an "ah" sound.
The letter "r" does not make an "ss", nor should it be silent in "Larsa".

Yeargdribble
11-19-2006, 07:30 PM
Well this thread answers some of the questions me and my wife have been discussing about people's inability to spell and pronounce everyday words.

Zeromus_X
11-19-2006, 07:38 PM
Well, assuming the voice actors are correct, I use what they're using. :cat:

It isn't difficult. :(

Athanatos
11-21-2006, 03:23 PM
No matter what, to me they say "marquis"

maybe they are trying to avoid a lawsuit with paramount for ST:DS9 there was a militia group with the same name

anruiukimi
11-21-2006, 08:19 PM
No matter what, to me they say "marquis"

maybe they are trying to avoid a lawsuit with paramount for ST:DS9 there was a militia group with the same name

That is the Maquis (pronounced Maa-key), not the Marquis. >_>

For my two cents, I have always heard and accepted two distinctive pronounciations for the word "Marquis." Word pronounciations are often changed as a word is borrowed from its original language, so I didn't bat an eye at the FFXII pronounciation.

Squeenix seems to have not made up their mind on the pronouncing of the word "Bahamut." In the FFXII "Making of" special on the Collectors DVD, the narrator says "bah-ha-moot."

...oh well.

~Anrui

Avarice-ness
11-21-2006, 08:45 PM
I say everything basically as they do in the game ALTHOUGH

Every once in a while instead of Vaan I'll say Vahn to myself, but I think it's because someones sn online is Vahn so I just associate them or something. :razz:

Sincerity
11-23-2006, 10:54 AM
I've been pronouncing everything the same way they do in the game, since I started reading about the characters and stuff. It's always been Vaan and Penelo and Ashe and Balthier, the way they say it in the game.

"Marquis", though? Bugs me lots. The first time I heard it in the game, I was like "MAR-KWIS? WHAT?" I have never in my life heard it pronounced like that. It was mildly horrifying.

Roogle
11-23-2006, 04:20 PM
I have heard the pronounciation of the word "marquis" both ways before, so I had recognized that they had chosen a more unpopular way to present the word, but it really doesn't bother me so much.

Aya Nekoneko
11-23-2006, 09:22 PM
Eruyt: E-RU-EET

Ok, I was doing some research on the original Japanese pronunciation of Eruyt and found out it's ERUTO, written in Katakana.

So my EH-RU-EET was wrong. It's EH-ROOT. Ah well, you can't win em all!