PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Help... again. -_-;

Sylvie
11-18-2006, 06:51 PM
So I really wanted to retry getting Ubuntu, but this time I want to keep XP on it. I need help actually keeping Windows on there without anything getting fucked up.

I want to use one hard drive. I want to split it up so that I can have one part for Linux, and the rest for Windows.

Here's a good example. This is not my screenshot, I found it on google.

http://knowledge76.com/images/Gparted.png

The only thing thats different is that ext3 on there is NTSF or whatever, and extended is something else. I want to split NTSF into 2 peices.

Questions:

See that bar on the right? The small one with the 2 different colors in it? What does that mean?

Exactly how do I correctly split up NTSF? I tried clicking on it and setting the space left thing, but I'm not sure that this is how you do it.

Any other help on partitioning would be great.

Yamaneko
11-18-2006, 06:59 PM
Leave the extended partition, that shouldn't be touched.

If the rest is NTFS, you'll want to at least partition enough space for Ubuntu as ext3 and then create a linux swap partition depending on how much ram you have. If you have 2GB or more of RAM don't bother with a swap partition. Otherwise allocate a couple gigs of space for the swap partition. You'll take all this space from the free space of the NTFS partition.

The bar all the way to the right is the swap partition. Notice how small it is compared to the rest of the drive.