PDA

View Full Version : Help needed, setting up games on xp.

Iceglow
11-18-2006, 09:37 PM
Ok down to business. I am trying to get my older games working on my laptop. These games are:

Fallout 1
Final Liberation
Shadow of The Horned Rat
Chaos Gate
Rites of War

My laptop is a Toshiba, Sattelite 1100 with windows xp sp2 on it. I also tried to run the compatability wizard but no joy there :(. can anyone please give me some advice or is it just Impossible?

Vincent, Thunder God
11-18-2006, 09:42 PM
I'm not sure about this Comp. Wizard you're talking about, but this is what I do.

1. Find the exe of your game.
2. Right click and enter the properties of the exe.
3. Go to the compatibilty tab.
4. Check the box which best suits the era of your game (if it came out in 1995, try Windows 95 compatibility).
5. Click Apply and OK.
6. Run the game.

This might not work perfectly, but it should help.

Iceglow
11-18-2006, 10:20 PM
Tried that one on them, it didn't help me. I need to know if it is to do with the hardware compatability of my laptop that could be a problem.

sephirothishere
11-18-2006, 11:11 PM
nahhh...you jus cant run games sometimes if they are too old....

o_O
11-19-2006, 03:25 AM
Older games derived their timing from the length of time it took for the processor to perform a simple operation.
Newer processors take far less time for the same amount of work.
For this reason, older games will sometimes play extremely fast, rendering them unplayable, and some game won't start at all. If this is what you're experiencing, try running something like CPUKiller or Turbo, and then playing.
These programs work by increasing the length of time the CPU requires to perform a simple operation making it similar to the older ones.

Sylvie
11-19-2006, 05:03 PM
Yeah, some old games won't work right if you just try to launch them from the folder or something. Like o_O said, get something that slows your computer down while playing.

Levian
11-19-2006, 05:30 PM
Maybe Dosbox will work? :p It works on most of my old games. Haven't played any of the mentioned games, so I wouldn't know if they worked too or how old they are.