PDA

View Full Version : Immortality. Do you wanna live 4 Eva!?

The Devil Man
11-19-2006, 03:44 PM
Devil Man has a very simple Topic of Discussion for his Good Friends on EoFF.

If ya could be Immortal, would ya be?

Devil Man... would! :hyper:

Because then he could carry on eating chocolate cakes until the End of Time itself :drool:

Chloe.
11-19-2006, 03:46 PM
Ermmm...I don't know, I think it would get kinda boring :bigsmile:

Ethanol Dreams
11-19-2006, 03:46 PM
I wouldn't, 'cause I'd have to watch the world and all my friends and family die before me. :(

Polaris
11-19-2006, 03:48 PM
I don't seek immortality, I seek perfection :tongue:

BarelySeeAtAll
11-19-2006, 03:49 PM
i wanna die soon, so why i would wanna live forever i do not know

Nasarian Altimeros
11-19-2006, 03:49 PM
I'm not putting up with people's /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif for more than a regular human lifespan

Rye
11-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Being that I don't believe in an afterlife and I feel that once you're dead, you're just dead, I don't think I'd mind living forever, because times are always changing and there's alway something new to find, so long as I get to travel. The only thing that I'd be bothered about is if only I were immortal, and the people who are close to me were not, because it'd be very painful losing people again and again.

Christmas
11-19-2006, 04:32 PM

You can stay with your MAN FOREVER!!! :bigsmile:

Iceglow
11-19-2006, 04:36 PM
I have to ask though is this Immortality the kind where we age but do not die or the kind where we remain young and beautiful for ever and ever?

If giving me the second option then yes I'd live forver, maybe I could do something with my life other than screw things up that way.

If offering the first I don't want to get old and withered but unable to die.

Chloe.
11-19-2006, 04:38 PM

You can stay with your MAN FOREVER!!! :bigsmile:

Now there's a good point. :bigsmile:

Denmark
11-19-2006, 04:56 PM
I wouldn't want to live forever. For one thing, I've always wanted to find out what actually happens when you die (though I'm not suicidal at all, I'm going to wait until my time comes). For another, it'd get really boring once you do everything a million times.

Quindiana Jones
11-19-2006, 04:57 PM
As long as I could take one person with me, yes.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
11-19-2006, 05:00 PM
Do Bears Crap In The Woods?

Quindiana Jones
11-19-2006, 05:04 PM
Dunno, but the Pope certainly does.

Peegee
11-19-2006, 05:53 PM
The only way to achieve unprecidented power is to be immortal.

Madame Adequate
11-19-2006, 06:29 PM
Yes. No question about it.

As an aside, immortality is a supposition that death can occur, but only through such things as injury. Natural lifespan, free of disease and injury, is forever. Invulnerability suggests not even those can kill someone. This idea of living forever, but decaying or injured or diseased and in constant pain, is daft, because it is exactly the things which cause those states that kill people and, consequentially, to live forever those things would have to be prevented or cured.

No.78
11-19-2006, 06:33 PM
Depends, if my body was destroyed, would I still be alive? O-o

Kuroshima
11-19-2006, 06:34 PM
Yes i would. and I'd start my own club about it. :shifty:

escobert
11-19-2006, 06:34 PM
Yes, I would live forever if I could. I think it'd be awsome!

XxSephirothxX
11-19-2006, 06:36 PM
No. How horrible would it be for everyone you've ever cared about to die? Not matter how many new people you meet, they will eventually die, and you'll have to find someone new. I don't think I could take the emotional pain that would result from living forever.

No.78
11-19-2006, 06:37 PM
But you'd grow stronger, become more intelligent. In fact, provided you didn't age as well (I'm asusming we don't age either, otherwise that'd be crazy), we'd obtain intellect far beyond what anyone has ever had!

OR

We'd go insane. Either way, ya know.

Alive-Cat
11-19-2006, 06:37 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't mind living forever. As long as I could stay young in physical appearence.

theundeadhero
11-19-2006, 07:08 PM
Life is a carousel of joys and sorrow. How long until the joys run dry?

tailz
11-19-2006, 07:09 PM
nah im much to suicidal to live forever :)

although id probably do the most crasiest of things.

The Summoner of Leviathan
11-19-2006, 07:14 PM
Nope. I rather die eventually. It's a part of life.

Venom
11-19-2006, 07:31 PM
I dunno, I mean if I live forever I can do pretty much everything I want without really worrying about not having enough time to do it, but then again if I live forever I'd get bored cause I already have done everything I wanted to do within my infinite time limit.:(

Freya
11-19-2006, 07:44 PM
It'd be cool at first but then i would see everything die so then i'd become crazy and probably turn evil. And since i've lived a long time i'd be smart and i'd have a really cool way to eliminate the earths population.

sephirothishere
11-19-2006, 08:08 PM
...everyone wants to live forever...but never grow old....

and fro people that say hteyll be tearin it up in the afterlife....i once heard..that if you dream of the next world....youll find yourself....swimming...IN A LAKE OF FIRE....hahaaha...BURRRRRRNNNNNNNNN

YTDN
11-19-2006, 08:08 PM
I't be cool to live for ever, be immune to injury, and stay young. And if I go crazy due to emotional pain, I can find out what being crazy is like.

Shlup
11-19-2006, 08:16 PM
I really am not interested in being stuck in this life.

Mitch
11-19-2006, 09:29 PM
As long as I had a steady supply of 14 and 15 year old girls I could live as forever

This he told me on my first day of work.

No, I don't. Because anything my boss can do, I don't want to.

Brennan
11-19-2006, 09:35 PM
No, it'd get boring.

Jess
11-20-2006, 12:04 AM
In a word, no. I wouldn't want to go through every single person I ever loved dying. I'd be much more satisfied if I just live my life to the full... I say as I'm online, posting on EoFF. :cool:

Yuffie514
11-20-2006, 06:09 AM
no, i may want to live a few hundred years more, but i just know that i'd tire out eventually. on the contrary, i get to experience new inventions and meet new people.

Firo Volondé
11-20-2006, 11:23 AM
Nah, I wouldn't want to live forever, it would be great at first, but when I reach 300 years old and my body is falling apart it wouldn't be so swell.:(

Fatal Impurity
11-20-2006, 12:02 PM
i wouldnt live forever...especially after watching highlander...

Giga Guess
11-20-2006, 01:23 PM
I dunno...first, immortality doesn't necessarily entail eternal youth, thus one could get older and older, and decrepify until one's barely more than a skeleton. Also, I could think of no more unpleasant thing (to put it lightly) than watching everyone I love and care about dying before me.

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
11-20-2006, 02:10 PM
I'm not too keen on my natural lifespan. More would just suck.

Resha
11-20-2006, 04:10 PM
No. Elves could, and they were sad. Don't wanna be like that!

Fatal Impurity
11-20-2006, 04:12 PM
the worst elves are the Lord of the ring's type...man are'nt they boring *sleeps*

Shaun
11-20-2006, 04:17 PM
4 eva? Are we talking about chav culture here or what?

Nominus Experse
11-20-2006, 04:18 PM
If my girl and I could forever be together, than yes.

If not, then I see little point in continuing life for countless eons once she would have passed from my realm of existance.

It would become a torturous affair rather than a pleasent one eventually, if you were to be alone.

oddler
11-20-2006, 04:49 PM
No. Imagine the studies and experiments you would go through if the wrong person found out you were immortal. Duh. You wouldn't have a life; you would have a ton of greedy people trying to figure out how they could do it. :(

Martyr
11-20-2006, 04:55 PM
Nah, but I'll probably always want to live a little bit longer.

I'd like to live, maybe, 1200 years.

Quindiana Jones
11-20-2006, 05:08 PM
I'd live forever if I could have Resha with me *sighs*

The Unknown Guru
11-21-2006, 02:19 AM
Yeah, if eternal youth was in the package.

The world would be mine. Ha. Ha ha ha. Ha.

Ha.

black orb
11-21-2006, 02:27 AM
>>> Live 300 years would be ok, life is too short and there are lots of things I want to do..

Evastio
11-21-2006, 02:36 AM
Living an eternal life would make me experience way too much death. :(

Alex151
11-21-2006, 03:30 AM
I definately wouldn't want to live forever, even 100+ years would suck because you'd be so old that you wouldn't be able to do much anyways. I would get way too bored with everything and kill myself

Savern Volaco
11-21-2006, 04:03 AM
Living 4 ever would be quiet dull...I would enjoy out living my kids though, tell them just before they die I am better than you and then...hey that is evil kewl, I am evil some how.

Araciel
11-21-2006, 04:11 AM
its' a tough question. while i don't wanna die, i'm sure someday i will have to. i wouldn't want to live forever because i would eventually floating around in space with nothing to do, after our sun went supernova... heh i dunno.

NINJA_Ryu
11-21-2006, 04:19 AM
Yeah, if eternal youth was in the package.

The world would be mine. Ha. Ha ha ha. Ha.

Ha.

Kefka time!

As for my family and everyone i knew die around me, it would be sad yes, but the eciting future and limitless possibilities make up for it.

Plus, I would love to see the look on a guys face who trys to shank me

Thug: Wha??? I stabbed you 40 times!! How canm you be alive?

Me: Immortality buddy, something you dont have *kills thug*

mwahhahahaha

Twilight Edge
11-21-2006, 04:34 AM
Yes, so I can gain intellect from the greatest things beyond, explore other galaxies and maybe there is a day where the mystery of the universe is solved. Also, I get to go crazy from evilness and start a master plan to slowly eliminate the races on Earth and move to other planets where aliens live and rule the planet blah blah. Then again, maybe not.

So, dunno.

Jebus
11-21-2006, 04:43 AM
I dunno about living forever, but I plan on replacing parts of me that fail or break. So what if I end up more machine than man, I'll still be alive. *nods*

Plus then I could make myself into a Borg and assimilate people. That'd kick ass.

The Real Dark Messenger
11-21-2006, 07:41 AM
I wouldn't, 'cause I'd have to watch the world and all my friends and family die before me. :(

Yeah, exactly. That would be awful. And even if everyone would be immortal, I think it would get boring.

Bunny
11-21-2006, 01:08 PM
Yes, I'd love it.

Alastair|UK
11-21-2006, 04:43 PM
no well only untill they run out of cake i dont think i could live after that

Social Moon Firesky
11-21-2006, 09:33 PM
No. Life is too long as it is, in my personal opinion. Besides, even if you were immortal, you'd end up dying anyway. Our solar system's dying as we speak.

NINJA_Ryu
11-22-2006, 01:43 AM
Who cares about solar system? you would still be alive!

Just push yourself along the cosmos, or get in a shuttle and zoom out of there before it blows. Just have all the FFs made, all one million of them, and then replay them ALL!!!

I Am Stoner
11-22-2006, 03:06 AM
I would rather live a great normal life then die, rather than having immortal life. That would suck. I mean, how would you look when your 550, a pile of bones and skin on the floor with no muscle left what so ever, just breathing, not being able to move, not being able to die, not even being able to speek to people, just lieing there and stareing at the floor all day and night, no food, no water, just there with nothing else to do, just locked in your own mind, trapped in a body limp and like a flesh tomb, just letting your brain waste away to a vegetable, mind numbing and in a terrible state of mental distress and boredom. I would hate that.

Moon Rabbits
11-22-2006, 03:08 AM
No.

Dell
11-22-2006, 01:04 PM
No, because I will at least make one sin everyday, I don't want to do many sin and go to hell. I do believe of immortality in heaven.

ama124
11-22-2006, 01:17 PM
No, i wouldn't want to live forever. Think about it, wouldn't living for 500 years straight or whatever would get boring?

I would rather live a normal, happy and fulfilling life then be around for to long. And all my family and friends would die too, and that wouldnt be good :(

Madame Adequate
11-22-2006, 04:34 PM
Okay guys! Some stuff needs to be reiterated!

Enough with this mythical idea that some genie is going to pop out of a lantern, you'll ask to live forever, and he'll trick you by making it impossible for you to die but still age, get ill, injured, and so forth. IMMORTALITY DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY! If you get ill, get old, or get injured, you can die from it. If you live forever, by definition, you cannot be suffering any fatal afflictions. Now it's possible discomfort and pain could exist, but that's possible even with our current lifespans and not many people advocating dying because you lost an arm and your shoulder hurts.

It's not some magical thing, it's technology. As Jebus said, it's about replacing body parts and stuff. And with that technology increasingly close to us, it's not going to be the case that you sit there, live forever, and watch everyone you love die. They will be able to live forever as well.

No, i wouldn't want to live forever. Think about it, wouldn't living for 500 years straight or whatever would get boring?

Uh, no? I doubt I could see a thousandth of everything I want to see, just on this planet alone, assuming no new things are developed, in 500 years. Furthermore your logic can just as easily be used to say "Wouldnt living for 50 years straight get boring?" Where is the cutoff? I'm pretty sure mine is high enough to need exponential notation. If you don't want to live forever, or for a very long time, that's fine; but do away with these misconceptions on how it all works, please.

ShunNakamura
11-22-2006, 04:54 PM
Since there seems to be a bit of confusion

# Not subject to death: immortal deities; the immortal soul.
# Never to be forgotten; everlasting: immortal words.
# Of or relating to immortality.
# Biology. Capable of indefinite growth or division. Used of cells in culture

Or simply put either way would be possible given the definition of the word. So my question to the topic starter is which way did you mean it? I would guess he meant the one without aging.

I would take that up in a heartbeat, I would so love to be able to read every book or interest made by man, but that would be impossible to do in my current lifespan and maybe even imposible in an imorrtal lifespan so maybe it wouldn't fix the issue but I should hopefully come closer.

Quindiana Jones
11-22-2006, 04:58 PM
What's this about nose-spray? No doubt Hux will know more.

When you die, it's your cells dying, right? So (I've heard) scientists of some sort developed a way of using your own living cells to simply replace the ones that are dying. I hear they were going to do it in a nose-spray type thing. Could be a new wives' tale, but you never know.

Madame Adequate
11-25-2006, 03:17 AM
What's this about nose-spray? No doubt Hux will know more.

When you die, it's your cells dying, right? So (I've heard) scientists of some sort developed a way of using your own living cells to simply replace the ones that are dying. I hear they were going to do it in a nose-spray type thing. Could be a new wives' tale, but you never know.

Current options for preventing or at least slowing senesance look most likely in genetics - one of the biggest problems there is neogenics (Ie changing the genetic makeup of something already fully formed) are still pretty far away. Nanotech is also possible. Don't know enough about delivery systems to know the former, although nanotech could certainly be delivered in a nasal spray. Sounds more like a flight of fancy though, we are still some years away from any real commercially viable advances in this area, AFAIK.

Sylvie
11-25-2006, 03:36 AM
I'd rather choose when I wanted to die. Like I could live for as long as I want, and when I get sick of life, I can choose to die.

BardTard
11-25-2006, 03:52 AM
No, I'd get too depressed and would be driven insane and would be even more depressed that I couldn't die. So no immortality for me!

Chibi Youkai
11-25-2006, 04:03 AM
I don't think we have the mentality to live forever. If we did, then so many things would be different. And I get depressed enough as it is, so no, I wouldn't want to drag that out over some sort of unknown time frame. And even worse, who would want to live through a nuclear war, if that ever happens.

Madame Adequate
11-25-2006, 02:29 PM
I'd rather choose when I wanted to die. Like I could live for as long as I want, and when I get sick of life, I can choose to die.

Rather than actual immortality, that is what the future holds. You'll be able to live for as long as you choose to.

I don't think we have the mentality to live forever. If we did, then so many things would be different. And I get depressed enough as it is, so no, I wouldn't want to drag that out over some sort of unknown time frame. And even worse, who would want to live through a nuclear war, if that ever happens.

... please tell me you just missed my previous post about that kind of stuff.

The Devil Man
11-25-2006, 02:38 PM

I think he's trying to Flame you Milfy :laughing:

Rusty
11-25-2006, 02:44 PM
I believe in Eternity in Heaven, but I don't particularly want to remain on this current earth, the way it is, forever.

Diango12
11-25-2006, 08:56 PM
Yeah I would, living is great and even if your miserable you'll probably live for so long that eventually things will get better as you'll most likely grow in power over the century's and after a while rise above men!

Chibi Youkai
11-26-2006, 02:08 AM

I think he's trying to Flame you Milfy :laughing:

I'm not trying to flame anyone. I was simply stating my opinion. And for the record, no, I didn't read the previous post. And there was really nothing about technology in my posts, I was just saying that being depressed often and knowing many people that are often depressed, living forever wouldn't be much fun. And by the way, I'm female.

Madame Adequate
11-26-2006, 02:46 AM
I was only saying that concerning the nuclear war part, not about depressing. I suffer from depression myself, but... well, look at my posts in this thread. Nobody else here has been as enthusiastic as me about the prospect of immortality. (As an aside, I believe technology will allow us to cure depression just as it will cure aging, so I'm not too concerned about possibly being depressed for a few trillion years.)

BlackChocobo
11-26-2006, 06:19 PM
Depends I could not see myself living for millions of years. I'd want to live for a few thousand years, but I think at some point I will get bored with life if i've already done everything and lived long enough. If I could start over with little to no memory of my past, then I would want that sort of immortality but only if I could recover my past memory whenever I want. I would also want to skip through time because honestly I want to see the sun become a red giant and swallow the Earth in 5 billion years.:tongue:

McLovin'
11-26-2006, 06:24 PM
After you watch/read Tuck Everlasting you will want to die.