PDA

View Full Version : My Experience with the Wii

Elite Lord Sigma
11-19-2006, 05:26 PM
Well, I spent nearly the entire day yesterday, from when I woke up to when I went to sleep, waiting in line for the Wii at my local Wal-Mart. I was wondering to myself if I would lose my sanity for waiting 16 1/2 hours in line.

7:30 AM- Well, my twin brother, and two of my cousins arrive at Wal-Mart. We talk to the sales associate, and we spend about 15 minutes walking around the store wondering where we're supposed to be, until we reach the Garden Center, where we find ourselves to be the first four in line.

9:00 AM- Well, two other people arrive now. I've been passing the time by playing Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones. I cleared Chapter 14, and I'm waiting now. It's still pretty laid back right now.

12:00 PM- The next few hours passed uneventfully, mainly by playing Meteos and Metroid Prime Hunters with my cousins and friends. The line is now up to about 13 people, and we learn that there's around 25-30 consoles.

1:30 PM- Well, after more gaming and such, the line has swollen to about 25 people, and a number of 28 Wiis is confirmed. My older cousing got so sick of people asking us when we got here that he put up a sign.

3:00 PM- The line is full now, and more people are still coming. My group has assumed the role of turning the unfortunate people away. We got a lunch of fried chicken and snacks from my mom, so it's all good.

6:00 PM- A list has been filled about who has been in line, and what order we're in. I'm fourth in line. I can't play my DS, because the batteries are dead. We're now mainly passing the time playing Rummy.

8:00 PM- We've stopped playing DS' altogether, and we're still playing Rummy. A Wal-Mart associate comes in and lets us look at some of the games they have, and the Wii's accessories. I've gotten the money I needed from my mom. Now there's only four hours left.

9:30 PM- I feel sort of crappy (probably from all of that chicken), but I feel fine. Now it's just a waiting game, which I spend trying to beat Chapter 15 of Sacred Stones (and failing, because that lucky bastard Valter got a Pierce on Saleh).

10:00 PM-Now, a moment everybody has been waiting for. The Wal-Mart associates walk in, and we receive vouchers for the Wii. We finally get to leave the Garden Center and stretch out. Once we reach the Electronics department, we begin reading up on the Wii.

10:15 PM- We're now in the layaway, where everybody gets to set eyes on the Wii for the first time. My older cousin, being awake since 2 PM Friday, is extremely exhausted (as am I, as I only got four hours of sleep). I just continue reading.

11:00 PM- Only one hour to go. I'm borrowing my brother's DS, and playing Fire Emblem and Metroid Prime Hunters. People continue talking and waiting

11:50 PM- Eleven minutes left. I've turned off the DS, and I just sit and wait in earnest. My aforementioned eldest cousin is the first in line.

11:58 PM- The people get divided into two lines, with people with odd number vouchers on the left, and people with even number vouchers on the right.

12:00 AM- Just one more minute to go. I'm the second person (behind my slightly older cousing) in the right line, and I'm just waiting with anxiety.

12:01 AM- The Wii has finally arrived! I walk up to the register, hand over $270, and I get back 82 cents along with my prize: a big, white box with my prized possession in it.

12:14 AM- After leaving Wal-Mart, my eldest cousin drives us over to the slightly older cousin's house to drop off three of the four Wiis we got. All of us plan on keeping ours, but I'm not sure what my twin brother plans to do with his, as I don't think we need two Wiis.

12:25 AM- I finally arrive home. My eldest cousin goes to his house (just across the street) to chill for a few minutes, while I, my brother, and my other cousin enter my house. Everybody else is asleep, so we quietly walk down to the basement, where we begin setting up the Wii.

The Wii itself, looks great. I knew it would be small, but even I was surprised on how small it was. We had a bit of a problem setting up the sensor bar, but we eventually got it to work.

12:30 AM- The Wii is finally ready to go! My brother grabs the Wiimote, and boots up the system. After a few minutes of setting up, it's finally ready. We point to the Wii Sports icon (but it takes a bit longer than necessary, thanks to my brother putting in the disc the wrong way), and get ready to go.

12:45 AM-First, we try out Bowling. My eldest cousin has come over, and we begin bowling. The Wiimote works excellently, and I consider it the best of all of the Wii Sports, even though I haven't tried Golf yet. Anyway, I'm forced to be a girl Mii, because we haven't gone on the Mii Channel just yet. After some experimentation with the Wiimote, we get the hang of it, and I hear my companions constantly comment on how awesome the entire package is.

To play it, you first need to hold the Wiimote straight upwards. To start your approach, you press the B Trigger, then you bring the Wiimote down and swing forward, like you would with an actual bowling ball, and release the B Trigger.

I get dead last, because my ball constantly curves away from the pins. We also try to figure out how to curve the ball, and we find out that the Wiimote doesn't work if you stand in front of the sensor bar, and that it can be used from the opposite end of the room.

1:15 AM- We continue our fun by creating our Wiis. My eldest cousin names his Helpless, my other cousin name his Archerbro, my brother names his FAT /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif, and mine is called Sigma. Out of all of ours, my brother's is the only one that doesn't look anything like him.

1:20 AM-We move on to Tennis. Tennis is also fabulously done. To play, you simply swing the Wiimote like you would a tennis racket. The game will distinguish between forehand and backhand strokes. We control two of my brother's Miis, and we lose the match 3 Games to 2.

1:50 AM-Next up is Baseball. Baseball consists of three innings, and you have 9 Miis under your control. Precreated ones are added to your team if you don't have enough of your own Miis. Anyway, to bat, you just swing the Wiimote like you would a bat. To pitch, you swing the Wiimote forward. You can distinguish between a fastball (press nothing), a screwball (press B), a curve ball (press A), and a splitter (press A and B). We win the match 3-1 by a home run, but not after watching my brother get about 15 foul balls in a row.

2:20 AM-Finally, we end with Boxing. Boxing is the only Wii Sport which requires a Nunchuck attachment. To play, you hold the Wiimote and Nunchuck in front of you. To punch, you jab the Wiimote and Nunchuck forward. You can distinguish between jabs, uppercuts, and hooks by swinging the Wiimote in different ways.

First, my brother fights a few rounds, which he wins all of. My other cousin is the only person who manages to get knocked out. I do decently, and we can finish.

2:30 AM- We begin to set up the Wii's Internet system. This takes about 10 minutes as it begins autoupdating. After it finishes, we establish our primary connection, and it after another three minutes of waiting, it finishes updating the system with Wii Shop and WiiConnect24 information.

2:45 AM-We now must put the Wii away, back into the box. This is the glummest moment of the night, as we enjoyed ourselves a lot. We finally finish putting it away, and we go upstairs to go to bed for the night.

And that is my experience for the day. Unfortunately, I can't play the Wii again until Christmas. :mad2:

KH-Cloudy
11-19-2006, 05:35 PM
Wow..that's awesome.(very few words to put as seeing it is fun) And why not until Christmas?

XxSephirothxX
11-19-2006, 05:41 PM
You showed up at 7 am? That's crazy. :p I can't believe your Wal-Mart had so few Wiis. I thought the launch was pretty big, and our Wal-Mart had far more 360s than that when it was released. My friend and I got in line around 6 pm no problem. :p

BlackChocobo
11-19-2006, 06:03 PM
Congrads your lucky.:tongue:

fantasyjunkie
11-19-2006, 06:09 PM
Wow, you know what? That was a really good thread, best one I've seen in a while!

I Took the Red Pill
11-19-2006, 06:46 PM
I showed up at 6 am because my Wal-Mart only had 20 Wiis, so me and 3 of my friends waited for 18 hours. When we got there, there were guys that had waited there since 7:30 pm the previous night. There are alot of things to do in Wal-Mart if you use your imagination, and ignore the employees telling you to stop doing various activities that are frowned upon in public. :)

Anyway, the satisfaction of getting one was immense, so I got home and played Wii Sports for a few hours before catching some sleep. Tennis and Golf were byfar my favorites.

Tidus Andronicus
11-19-2006, 07:06 PM
We had a Midnight launch in my area, at GameStop, for everyone with preorders... so I was there all night till midnight, to finally pick up my Wii.

Pretty standard goings on... cept this:

http://wii.no-ip.org/image002.jpg
http://wii.no-ip.org/image003.jpg
http://wii.no-ip.org/image004.jpg

We had a bonus to our launch! Malon and Link! XD
Plus Malon made us a Triforce Cake! YAY! lol
It was certainly awesome of them to do this! I love this GameStop!

what a cool day... and now I'm off to play my Wii! =P

crono_logical
11-19-2006, 07:10 PM
Certainly sounds like a new way to play sports :p

Elite Lord Sigma
11-19-2006, 09:50 PM
Wow..that's awesome.(very few words to put as seeing it is fun) And why not until Christmas?

Because my mom won't let me play it until then.

Sylvie
11-19-2006, 10:00 PM

Because my mom won't let me play it until then.
Well that sucks.

KentaRawr!
11-19-2006, 10:50 PM
My Mom got there at around 6. I think she was very lucky, since when she asked one of the other people how long they've been there, they said they've been there since 10:00 PM last night. o_O She got the very last Wii. I'm having quite a bit of fun with Wii Boxing's dogde the Tennis Balls mini-game.

Dreddz
11-19-2006, 11:49 PM
Sounds like you had fun, although Im surprised you had so much fun with Wii sports. From what Ive heard its pretty disappointing, especially the Boxing and Golf. Guess everyone's got a different opinion.

Ichimonji
11-19-2006, 11:58 PM
I found that the only disspointing game from Wii Sports is the Boxing one. Every other game handles itself pretty well.

KentaRawr!
11-20-2006, 12:11 AM
Sounds like you had fun, although Im surprised you had so much fun with Wii sports. From what Ive heard its pretty disappointing, especially the Boxing and Golf. Guess everyone's got a different opinion.

Indeed, Boxing is a bit disappointing. However, doing the dodging mini-game while uselessly moving your torso is groovy. n_n