PDA

View Full Version : Scrubs

feioncastor
11-19-2006, 06:55 PM
I actually had never seen this show till it started airing on Comedy Central on weeknights. After seeing several episodes, I've figured out that this may be my favorite TV show.

It has a full set of characters, and every now and then they'll add another one. It reminds me of the Simpsons in that sense, you know, having a whole lot of recurring characters. And each character has their own little quirk that seems to be more and more pronounced as the series moves forward.

I don't know how faithfully it depicts being a resident doctor at a hospital, but it makes for great comedy.

A terrific and funny guy named Zach Braff plays Dr. John 'J.D.' Dorian, the main character on the show. Each episode centers around Dr. Dorian and he even internally narrates the show. The title of every episode begins with the word "My" (as in, "My Mentor", "My First Day", etc...) which sense because the show is really told from the point of view of Braff's character.

Sarah Chalke, who played "Becky" on Roseanne stars in the show as Dr. Elliot Reed. And she has totally grown up. She is really beautiful these days.

Other names on the show include Heather Graham, who is seen in several episodes portraying a psychologist who is really good at her job. John C. McGinely (one of the Bobs from "Officespace") appears in virtually every episode as Dr. Perry Cox, the saracstic and studied doctor who comes off as a jerk, but really is an okay guy.

Tara Reid has been in a handful of episodes, not as a doctor, but as Dr. Dorian's love interest for a little while. Even Rick Schroder of "Silver Spoons" fame has made several appearences on the show.

Probably the most shocking celebrity appearance was that of a character only brought in for two episodes, that I know of. Michael J. Fox plays a doctor who is good at taking care of his patients, but also suffers from acute OCD himself, and because of that, he is usually moving his hands or messing with something.

Drawing another parallel between "Scrubs" and "The Simpsons", I think that people usually know which non-main characters they like best. For the Simpsons, many would say Comic Book Guy, Flanders, Otto, Moe or another character as their personal favorite.

With Scrubs, my favorite is easily the Janitor. I don't believe he's ever actually given a name, but the character adds a whole new level to the show, even without having a name. He's very quick-witted and often wise.

And yet another parallel is the presence of slap-stick, cartoony humor. For example, at the beginning of the show's run, Braff's character Dr. Dorian was still an intern, and not very experienced. One of his patients was really sick, and Dr. Dorian went to inform her that she'd have to go on dialysis. She said, "I've never been a big fan of dialysis.", and he said, "Well, we don't have any other options at this point.", and she replied, "Oh, I've got a few options... I think I'm ready to die."

And right then, a delivery guy walked in the room and handed a form to Dr. Dorian and said, "I've got one ton of bricks for Dr. John Dorian.", and he then signed for it, and a ton of bricks fell on his head, symbolizing his immense shock that one of his patients was choosing death over the treatment he determined was necessary.

The show is full of cartoonish humor like that, making it stand out amongst other non-cartoon TV shows.

If you do watch it, you'll probably notice, as I did, that the intro is REALLY short. It's seriously only about 10 seconds long, featuring a fast-paced montage of the regular characters, and ending on Dr. Dorian, as he puts up a sign that says "Scrubs", and then it gives a credit or two, and that's it. According to the show's creator, Bill Lawrence, the intro is so short because they like to save as much time as possible for the actual show. There is a longer version of the intro that was used for the beginning of the second season, but it wasn't used for long

Now about to air its sixth season, Scrubs has taken off in ways that most sitcoms never will. The show has changed, but it's all been appropriate change that hasn't altered the brilliant formula used to develop the show's premise.

So, if you haven't watched it yet, I recommend you tune in the next time you see it on and have nothing else to do for a while. It's a great show.

And if you have watched it, what do you think of it?

escobert
11-19-2006, 06:58 PM
This show is awsome and since I work in a hospital I just find it much funnier :D but yeah, Scrubs is one of my favorite shows on air right now :D Every episode makes me laugh.

Crop
11-19-2006, 07:05 PM
Yea ive been watching it for a while and I have to agree with you, it is one of the funniest shows out there IMO.

I also have to agree with you again about The Janitor being your favourate character. Hes one funny guy.

Yea the intro is short which thaught was a shame because I like the theme, but now ive downloaded the whole version of it.

The theme is Superman by Lazlo Bane. just incase anyone wanted to know :D

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-19-2006, 07:09 PM
Dr. James 'J.D.' DorianJohn.
It has a full set of characters, and every now and then they'll add another one. It reminds me of the Simpsons in that sense, you know, having a whole lot of recurring characters. And each character has their own little quirk that seems to be more and more pronounced as the series moves forward.

Drawing another parallel between "Scrubs" and "The Simpsons", I think that people usually know which non-main characters they like best. For the Simpsons, many would say Comic Book Guy, Flanders, Otto, Moe or another character as their personal favorite.Bill Lawrence actually mentioned in the Season 1 DVD commentary that one thing he aimed to do with this show was create a Simpsons-type situation where the members of the secondary cast don't merely support the main characters but are actually equally entertaining in their own right. So, yeah. With characters such as The Janitor and Ted the lawyer, I'd say he definitely succeeded there.
I don't know how faithfully it depicts being a resident doctor at a hospital, but it makes for great comedy.A lot of their ideas, from main story concepts down to bit jokes, are lifted directly from anecdotes told by real doctors. So, in addition to being wonderfully funny, it also has that realism backing it up.
John C. McGinely (one of the Bobs from "Officespace") appears in virtually every episode as Dr. Perry Cox, the saracstic and studied doctor who comes off as a jerk, but really is an okay guy.Dr. Cox's verbose journeys into anger and loathing are easily the most enjoyable parts of each episode. He's got to be one of the best characters of all time.

Roto13
11-19-2006, 07:10 PM
Middle of it's sixth season? Season 6 doesn't start until November 30th.

It's probably the funniest show on tv. It's absolutely priceless. Every character is just so well written. It's amazing how touching it can be at times, too. Anyone who has seen this episode will get chills just by looking at this picture.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e6/My_Philosophy.jpg

XxSephirothxX
11-19-2006, 07:13 PM
I've watched it every so often for the last few years--it's a really funny show. I'm not sure why I never settled into watching it regularly. I've heard that it really went downhill in the last season or two, but maybe that wasn't true. With reruns on Comedy Central I need to start watching it more often. Zach Braff is a fantastic up and coming star, and most of the other characters on the show are just as entertaining.

Rocket Edge
11-19-2006, 07:27 PM
Dr. Cox's verbose journeys into anger and loathing are easily the most enjoyable parts of each episode. He's got to be one of the best characters of all time.
I agree, the guy is hilarious.

Scrubs is just such a great show.

Croyles
11-19-2006, 07:27 PM
Yeah its actually really strange how some things in Scrubs really remind me of my work in my local hospital. I swear my hospital has all the characters from scrubs in cameo appearances. Scrubs seems to depict life at a hospital much more accurately than shows like Grey's Anatomy or ER. Not to mention that its funny as hell :D

feioncastor
11-19-2006, 07:34 PM
Yeah, I love Dr. Cox. He and the Janitor are my favorite characters on the show.

My favorite times are when Dr. Cox shows the side of himself that's more human. Like when J.D. is uncertain of his ability to perform a procedure on a patient, and Dr. Cox is all encouraging and supportive, which is not something you'd expect.

John C. McGinely is a great actor. It's a shame we don't see him in more stuff.

charliepanayi
11-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Though Scrubs has some great characters like the janitor guy and Dr Cox (2nd best TV doctor, after the peerless House) and can be funny at times, I find its hamstrung by a few problems. Like too many shows it veers into sentimentality all too often (though occasionally it works, like the episode with Brendan Fraser, usually it's just annoying). And I hate JD's voiceover, dispensing all these pat lessons during the episode - the show would be a lot better without it (see also: Sex and the City, Desperate Housewives).

Crushed Hope
11-19-2006, 09:37 PM
Middle of it's sixth season? Season 6 doesn't start until November 30th.

It's probably the funniest show on tv. It's absolutely priceless. Every character is just so well written. It's amazing how touching it can be at times, too. Anyone who has seen this episode will get chills just by looking at this picture.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e6/My_Philosophy.jpg

Oh hell, that was such an emotional episode. Absolutely amazing.

Psychotic
11-19-2006, 09:59 PM
I think it's fantastic. Cox and the Janitor are minor deities of some description. The Janitor's stuffed squirrel army is one of the best things I've seen on TV. I prefer the minor characters like Ted, The Todd and Doug to the likes of Carla and Elliot though.

Craig
11-19-2006, 10:30 PM
Scrubs is a great show, I'm just wondering how many life lessons J.D can learn before he knows everything.

Roto13
11-19-2006, 10:36 PM
Ted is awesome! When Janitor was trying to get everyone to give Carla the evil eye. "Ted! What was that! You're giving her sad eyes!" "It's all I've got! :("

Poor Ted. XD

yumi
11-19-2006, 11:09 PM
Isn't there rumors that Zach Braff is leaving and they might carry on the show without him. I think I heard that in an interview with Jo Whiley on Radio 1.

feioncastor
11-19-2006, 11:39 PM
Even though my favorite gags on the show involve Dr. Cox, the Janitor, and other characters besides J.D., I think he does hold the show together. He internally narrates almost every episode. The show would be flimsy without that internal narration. I'm sure if Braff left the show, they'd have someone else narrate it.

There have been a few episodes narrated by others. Dr. Cox, Elliot, The Janitor, Carla and I think Turk have all had one episode where they narrate it instead of J.D. If J.D. wasn't on the show anymore, they could just do that. They could alternate narrators.

farplaner
11-24-2006, 06:55 PM
I can't really add much, but I started watching it on Comedy Central also. Great stuff. I agree with you, Charlie, about some of the narration. Overall, though, very entertaining. All of the characters (for the most part) manage to be likeable despite their various hang-ups.

Jessweeee♪
11-24-2006, 07:15 PM
I love Scrubs!

Some of my favorite scenes would have to be when JD does his "Tallest doctor alive" bit.

JKTrix
11-24-2006, 07:17 PM
The janitor kills me.

Savern Volaco
11-24-2006, 07:37 PM
Finally a funny Doctor show that is not serious...like stupid soap operas(gay) bye bye

Breine
11-24-2006, 10:21 PM
I didn't like Scrubs when it first aired here in Denmark, but then I suddenly started to like it... I guess it was because I actually sat through an entire episode instead of just watching a single scene, going "meh" and then flipping the channel...
This show is genius - I often find myself laughing out loud when watching it.

Crushed Hope
11-24-2006, 11:21 PM
Isn't there rumors that Zach Braff is leaving and they might carry on the show without him. I think I heard that in an interview with Jo Whiley on Radio 1.

If Zach leaves the show will be worthless.

Vikeve
11-25-2006, 12:47 AM
I love that show!

Jessweeee♪
11-25-2006, 12:51 AM
yah....It would be too dramatic a change...
I think I read somewhere this next season is the last...don't remember to well though, I could be wrong.

Markus. D
11-25-2006, 04:56 AM
greatest comedy ever!

Rusty
11-25-2006, 05:32 AM
Really don't like it. I just don't find the humour in it funny and the main character is incredibly annoying.

chaos_ghost
11-26-2006, 03:11 AM
I freakin love this show. My favorite character are Turk, the janitor(can' think of his name) and J.D.

Leen-Leen
11-26-2006, 03:48 AM
That's show's awesome! J.D. and the Janitor guy crack me up everytime.

escobert
11-26-2006, 03:50 AM
yah....It would be too dramatic a change...
I think I read somewhere this next season is the last...don't remember to well though, I could be wrong.

Well I'd rather they just end it then have the main character leave.

louby_4eva
11-26-2006, 10:22 PM
I love scrubs, I'm actually watching it now. It's really funny but it has really nice bits in it as well like the episode where Jill Tracey dies of rabies I think it shows how good at acting John C. McGinely actually is. It made me cry. The songs for the show are amazing as well, especially 'How to Save a Life' by The Fray which is on the episode I'm watching right now :D :D :D

Smile and Be happy :love: