PDA

View Full Version : I got a Wii.

Sephex
11-19-2006, 09:09 PM
And it is awesome. Here is my story. If you don't want to see the story and go right to my impressions skip this part.

The Best Buy that I was planning on getting it at had 45 units. I was shooting to get Legend of Zelda and Trauma Center. When I went to go check out the line around 5:15 p.m. there were already twelve peopel waiting in line. I talked to them for a bit and asked one guy who waited for the Playstation 3 what he think the line would be like. He said the PS3 line filled up fast (they only had 26, 20 of them were the $600 versons and the other six were $500 versions). My girlfriend was coming over just to hang out so I decided that I would wait in line all night if the line looked to be building up around midnight or 1 a.m. after my girlfriend left.

When she got to my apartment, she told me that she was spending the night. She knew of my Wii plans, and told me that she would be willing to go in line whenever I wanted to. So I formulated a plan that after we grabbed a bit to eat (along with other personal busniness that I had to take care of), we would go to sleep ASAP and wait in line at 3 a.m.

That part of the plan kind of worked. I did manage to get to around 9:30pm (so did she). However, I woke up at 2:15 and I knew I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep. She kind of woke up with me, so we deicded to go then.

When I got to the Best Buy, There were several people there, but I was the 20th person out of the 45 Wiis in stock! My girlfriend choose to sleep in my car. The same guy who got his PS3 at the very sane store remembered me from before and gave me a ticket. He was running his own thing where everyone who showed up recieved a ticket. This was part of some sort of "honor system". That way we could roam about freely, go to the bathroom, and go grab a bite to eat if we choose to do so. The only rule was that we couldn't leave forever, because that wouldn't be fair for obvious reasons.

To pass time, a small group of us exchanged funny stories, talked about local arcades that were no more, and just talked about gaming in general. Everyone was very cool. One guy gave me a brand new pair of thermal socks that he bought at K-Mart right before coming to stand in line because I simple stated that the only part of my body that was cold was my feet.

Anyway, most of the other people didn't show up untill 6 a.m-8a.m Right when we got 45 people, a Best Buy emplyee handed out vouchers so we would get our system for sure. We all kept the honor system going and no one tried to cut in line. The only thing that kind of went wrong is that once inside, the numbers weren't called in order. It was whoever happened to be first would have their first choise of games, accessories, and whatever. We weren't THAT out of order, but I just hope that numbers 40-45 were in the back of line because the people who dragged their asses out of bed deserved to get Zelda over those people who got a full nights rest.

Anyway, I got the games that I was shooting for, a SD memory unit, 2000 Wii points, and of course...The Wii.

Impressions:

Right when I turned it on any doubt of the Wiimote being inacurrate was cast aside. Like many of you may have read, the Wiimote doesn't require you to wave your arm around all crazy like. The accuracy is perfect. When you boot up your system for the first time, it asks you where you placed your sensor bar. I placed mine lazily at the bottom of my TV. It's not even perfectly centerd or straight and there have been no problems at all. The only thing was annoying is that I had ot do two system updates (I could connect to the internet right out of the box since I have the Wi-Fi adaptor I bought for the DS) that took a bit long.

I decided to buy Sonic the Hedgehog (yes Joel, I know you're proud of me) from the Virtual Console list. That cost 800 pts (same price for SNES games). All of the Nintendo games cost 500 points and Super Mario 64 cost 1000pts, which is the only 64 game out on the list right now. I decided to save the rest of my 1200pts to wait and see what else is released.

As predeicted, you was turn the Wiimote sideways to play since it is kind of like a NES controller. It felt [i[slightly[/i] weird to hold it that way, but my hand didn't interfere witht he signal at all like some people worried. You can use a GameCube controller to play if you wish. Plus, you'll be able to use the Classic Controller when it comes out (I think in about a week or so).

There is also a News and Weather channel (I haven't checked that out yet), and some photo channel you can play with. I know you can take SD cars from cell phones or your cameras to put them on your Wii (I think). Another option seems to be something where you can download pictures off the Wii message board. I don't know if that means that you can post pics there and then download them or if Nintendo will put out pics you can download or what.

Also, there will be some sort of internet browser coming soon, according to a memo I read in the Wii shopping center.

I have played Zelda, but not Wii Sports (it came with the system) or Trauma Center (which I imagine will play like the DS version expect using the Wiimote instead of the stylus). I am going to make a thread for Zelda Wii impressions now.

Overall: I am very happy with my purchase. I can't wait to see how people developers will take advantege of Wii hardware.

LunarWeaver
11-19-2006, 09:20 PM
I'm glad you're happy with it :jess: I'm hearing plenty of reports that the controller is really accurate and there's no need to flail all over like an ADD monkey. That's good, because my weak and feeble twig-arms can only take limited exertion.

Waking up at 2:15 a.m. couldn't have been fun :erm:

XxSephirothxX
11-19-2006, 09:21 PM
I wish you people would stop making threads like this. My resolve can't take much more of it. I'm ready to go blow 300 bucks and get a Wii and Zelda. :(

Sephex
11-19-2006, 09:25 PM
I'm glad you're happy with it :jess: I'm hearing plenty of reports that the controller is really accurate and there's no need to flail all over like an ADD monkey. That's good, because my weak and feeble twig-arms can only take limited exertion.

Waking up at 2:15 a.m. couldn't have been fun :erm:

I got five hours of sleep. I have gone to work on less. Keep in mind I work as a loader at UPS...the biggest UPS building the the world...where a slow day is 385,000 packages...in a single sort! I was fine in line, and I feel fine now! :)

KentaRawr!
11-19-2006, 10:49 PM
I got a Wii, too. Sadly, only Wii Sports for me. It's pretty cool, and thankfully, it has more than just 5 sports. It has 5 sports and mini-games related to those sports, which is groovy. And before I forget, I love the Wiimote. Sure, Wii Boxing gets confusing every once in a while ("God... damn... UPPERCUT YOU ****TARD!"), but it's still very fun, and I can't wait to get my mitts on Zelda. :p

Shlup
11-19-2006, 10:51 PM
This thread makes me dance. I put Wii on my Christmas list, since I'm too poor to buy my own. My brother-in-law got one though, so we know how I'll be spending my Thanksgiving.

I Took the Red Pill
11-19-2006, 10:54 PM
I was most impressed with how sleek and simple the interface of the Wii Startup/"Channels" screen ended up being. And yeah, the controller is absolutely responsive to anything you do, which isn't what I expected from it.

Ichimonji
11-19-2006, 11:55 PM
Yeah, I picked up the Wii today as well, and it is amazing. The main menu is very smooth and easy on the eyes, and the Mii Channel is pretty neat too. I spent a good two hours playing Wii Sports as it is very fun and accurate. I love Tennis and Bowling especially, although I found that the Boxing controls were a bit touchy. Afterwards I popped in Red Steel which is a neat game, but it takes some getting used to. The controls in Red Steel are a tad sticky/clunky but it seems pretty fun.

I have yet to put in Zelda, but I'll be doing that quite soon. I also have not connected the Wii to the internet yet, as I have to purchase either a cable or a Wi-Fi access point tomorrow morning.

All in all, the Wii is an awesome console.

Erdrick Holmes
11-20-2006, 01:25 AM
I'm probably gonna go pick mine up with my next paycheck or two. I'm probably gonna get Red Steel first since that was probably my favourite Wii game of all time.

Rostum
11-20-2006, 01:50 AM
Wow! It's already out! It's so hard to believe that the PS3 and the Wii have made their NA release.

I am glad you are having a good time with it, I can't wait to get it myself. =) So how many points do you start out with? And does it tell you how much they cost?

Ouch!
11-20-2006, 03:36 AM
I camped outside of Target with a friend and his coworkers (they all work there). They had sixty units. I was seventh in line.

Everything was going great.

Then it started snowing. God damn it anyway.

I'm very, very pleased with my Wii, and Zelda freakin' rocks.

Sylvie
11-20-2006, 03:52 AM
Maybe I'll put this on my Christmas list... I'm getting to that age where the only things on my list are:

-Games
-Hardware
-Software

Xaven
11-20-2006, 03:59 AM
2:15 am? Psh. I got in line at Circuit City at 6 pm the day before black friday for my computer.

...Maybe my brother and I will end up getting a Wii for Christmas. I doubt it though. My own bedroom, a MacBook, or even just covering the cost of drum corps will suffice. :D

JKTrix
11-20-2006, 07:11 PM
Something seems fishy about this, but be careful about it anyway.

Some dude snapped the wristband while pitching bowling balls, cracked his big TV.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2183346

Edit: Looks like you can actually suspend/use a save state in the VC games. If you've done emulation before you should know what a save state is.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/precurser/300504198/

Hawkeye
11-20-2006, 09:52 PM
There is suppose to be a huge shipment replenishing Wii stock in EBgames by the end of this week and mid next week for you unlucky fellows that didn't want to wait in the cold outside Circuit City. The recommendation is to get there early.

But I'm glad you find the Wii enjoyable Sephex; it just reaffirms my investment into it.

Griff
11-21-2006, 01:30 AM
To everyone who had the money to get a Wii this weekend:

Bite Me.

That is all.

Elite Lord Sigma
11-21-2006, 02:02 AM
Ha! You thought that was bad, Sephex? I waited for 17 hours to get my Wii! And I can't even play it until Christmas!

Sephex
11-21-2006, 02:15 AM
Ha! You thought that was bad, Sephex? I waited for 17 hours to get my Wii! And I can't even play it until Christmas!

Never said it was bad! I had loads of fun! Everyone who I talked to was very cool! Even though it was cold, I loved seeing day break. :)

Though, I am sorry you have to wait untill Christmas. Look at it this way though: By the time you have it, there should be plenty of Virtual Console games to download (there are only a few now..they're mostly good, mind you...but just a few)!

Holy Lancer
11-21-2006, 02:31 AM
I'm waiting for the PS3's price to go down and for a bunch of good games to come out for it. I'm not a big Nintendo guy but Zelda is fun and Mario's good. But there will be no more controllers vibrating for the PS3 grrrr.

KentaRawr!
11-21-2006, 09:05 PM
Well, I got Zelda: TP, and I must say, I am impressed. The controls are much better than I expected. It's not exactly immersive, but the motion sensing for the sword is a very nice substitute for the Sword button. And aiming is most definitely improved. However, I do get a "Point the Wii Remote at the TV" message quite a lot. I think I should lower the sensor bar so I can just keep my hands in my lap.

Also, when is that Wii Opera Web Browser supposed to be downloadable? :mog:

Clouded Sky
11-26-2006, 07:16 AM
If I hadn't had finals last weekend, I would have been waiting in line. *Sigh*. In any case, I'll keep up my crusade of calling 10 stores a day to see if they know when they're getting more. So far, these people have be useless.