PDA

View Full Version : The legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess [impressions for Wii] Gameplay SPOILERS

Sephex
11-19-2006, 09:23 PM
Don't worry, I am not going to spoil any story. If you wish to wait for yourself to know how it feels to play, then read no further.

I'll just come out and say it. Within a minute, I felt like I have been using the Wiimote for years when it came to playing the Twilight princess. Moving Link is very easy, and the Wiimote is usued only when nessesary. Swinging the sword is easy to (I have no idea why some reviewers picked at it, it is VERY simple to pull of). All you have to do is move the controller in any direction to swing. If you want to swing in differnt directions, that is all taken care of when you Z target. Want to stab? Put point the controller forward a bit. Want to verticle slice? Z target and swing! Want to horzontally slice? Just swing. Want to do the jump attack? Simply Z target and press A. I have leared some sort of finishing move that is cool (I have six more to learn according to the game). If you knock down an enemy and it isn't dead yet, you don't have to wait for it to get back up and then kill it! Just move near it and press a to do a downward thrust (which looks VERY familiar to the same move in Zelda 2)!

The only shooting weapon I have is the slingshot. You can either Z traget and fire like the other Zelda 3D games, or you press the weapon button and use the Wiimote to manually aim!

Using Wolf Link is cool as well. If there is something for you to jump on, just Z traget and press A. Just like the sword, you move the Wiimote to attack enemies. There is also context sesiteve things for you to interact with. I know I sound vauge, but I really don't want to spoil the Wolf Link too much, because it is awesome.

The only thing I had trouble with was fishing, but that was because I wan't prepared on how it would work. You cast initially by pressing the B button after you assign the rod to that button. After that you can cast with the Wiimote. To catch a fish, you must let a fish bite you hook and then slick back. If you did it right, then you have to fight to reel the fish it my flicking back and moving the rod with the Wiimote.

Overall: I can already feel that this may be a new favorite Zelda of mine! Controlling the Wii version of Zelda is no problem!

Ichimonji
11-20-2006, 11:05 PM
I'm enjoying Twilight Princess very much. The controls are very smooth and easy to muster for both Link and Wolf Link. The gameplay is very good, as well as the storyline. Right now I'm in the process of completing the first actual dungeon, (dungeon maps, boss key, etc) and I can't get enough.

Zelda = win.

ljkkjlcm9
11-21-2006, 03:30 AM
I'm hoping there will be a Wii when I go to get my system, I'll be getting this game, Red Steel, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance...

THE JACKEL

Fire_Emblem776
11-21-2006, 05:47 AM
It was sold out -_-

KentaRawr!
11-23-2006, 02:49 PM
I'm liking it quite a bit. I can see why they said they're going for a new direction, as this game is much more cinematic than the other Zelda games. It's also very atmospheric, which I like. :D

Markus. D
11-23-2006, 05:49 PM
its wonderful T_T *tears of joy*

Controlling Link with the Wii-mote is a dream (in wolf link mode aswell).

there is SO much to do, I was suprised!

I wish I owned it like my friend does.

Sephex
11-23-2006, 06:07 PM
The music to this game is ****ing awesome. I am glad they didn't use the Zelda main theme wfor the wrold map music like they usually do. Sure, OOT didn't use it, but that was before they overplayed it. Don't get me wrong, I like the theme, but it was nice to hear something fresh.

And the night time world map music gives me chills. God, I wish I could go play the game right now (have to go to Thanksgiving stuff)!

JKTrix
11-23-2006, 06:13 PM
The audio is one of the big reasons some places are marking the game down. Everyone agrees that the soundtrack is brilliant, but the actual way it sounds is underwhelming. It seems everyone wants orchestral music and voice-overs. They dont' forget that it's a Gamecube port, but they don't feel it's something that should be overlooked. I think it's fair, and I wish they'd have gone orchestral too. Perhaps they'll re-release it in a year or 2 as a special edition with the music enhancements...

Still, can't wait to play this. Must get Wii soon...

Leonffs
11-24-2006, 07:51 AM
I waited in line 20 hours for a Wii and Twilight Princess.
So far, I just got the Master sword. and if this game keeps being as good as it is I'm pretty sure I have a new favorite game ever.

Frozen Phantom
11-25-2006, 07:33 PM
To avoid getting attacks for spilling a bit of the game...I have to give this warning, this does have a few spoilers

So far I've reached the 5th dungeon, and I must say this is easily my favorite Zelda ever! the slingshot/bow work much better than they did in the previous Zelda's. The horse battles are my favorite part due to their intensity. As a separate note, anyone who hasn't reached this far yet will love the 4th boss, and the dungeon item the spinner, which looks like a top. One thing I hated was the Water temple and the move puzzle It took me 8 stright hours to beat them. :mad2:

Well, thats my impression on the game, and don't start chewing me out for spoiling it a little. YOU WERE WARNED!

Ichimonji
11-25-2006, 11:00 PM
Ooccoo is very creepy. That thing just plain freaks me out.

KentaRawr!
11-25-2006, 11:37 PM
Ooccoo is very creepy. That thing just plain freaks me out.

At least she lets you save wherever you want in a dungeon. :D

Frozen Phantom
11-26-2006, 12:09 AM

Actually thats not true. He lets you leave the dungeon and return to your current spot instead of having to start over from the entrance.

Ashley Schovitz
11-26-2006, 01:16 AM
I haven't played it yet, but after watching 1up's video review for it, I KNOW I'M GOING TO BUY IT!

KentaRawr!
11-26-2006, 01:31 PM

Actually thats not true. He lets you leave the dungeon and return to your current spot instead of having to start over from the entrance.

Yes, but then you can save, and when you turn your game back on, you can go back to where you warped out.

Frozen Phantom
11-26-2006, 01:55 PM

Yes, but then you can save, and when you turn your game back on, you can go back to where you warped out.

didn't know that...

JKTrix
11-27-2006, 12:51 PM
I got it on Friday. Despite all sorts of crap that happened over the weekend to take me away from it, I managed to put in 17 hours and finish 3 dungeons. Lovely lovely game.

Ooccoo really freaked me out when I first got her, but she is pretty useful. I first used her in the Goron Mines, where they had the spring outside to replenish your health. I was being really reckless in that dungeon. Falling into Lava takes off 2 hearts!

The cutscenes in this game are pretty well done, I've been impressed quite a few times watching them. The whole thing with the Wolf howling minigames remind me of Wind Waker :p and those training sessions remind me a little of the 'Hyperbolic Time Chamber' from DBZ :P

Great game.

JKTrix
11-29-2006, 02:21 AM
Hey guys, I noticed this a while ago and I'm sure most of you have by now, but i figured I'd mention it.

When you kill an enemy with one of the Hidden techniques, immediately press A to put your sword away. Instead of the plain old 'stick the sword in the sheath', he does the special one that happens at the end of the training sessions for the Hidden Techniques. Nifty little easter egg. I just did the Helm Splitter against a big guy and did the special sheathing, it looked so cool.

KentaRawr!
11-29-2006, 10:48 AM
Hey guys, I noticed this a while ago and I'm sure most of you have by now, but i figured I'd mention it.

When you kill an enemy with one of the Hidden techniques, immediately press A to put your sword away. Instead of the plain old 'stick the sword in the sheath', he does the special one that happens at the end of the training sessions for the Hidden Techniques. Nifty little easter egg. I just did the Helm Splitter against a big guy and did the special sheathing, it looked so cool.

You actually just have to do that right before they die. It just so happens that the Hidden Techniques normally kill an enemy, and end in the middle of their death sequence. So immediately pressing A after doing a Hidden Technique should normally get you that groovy sword swinging.

Tidus Andronicus
11-29-2006, 09:10 PM
I've been playing for over 60 hours, and I haven't even started the last dungeon yet.
I've done some sidequests, but not all, probably not even half.
By the time I finish the game, I'll probably have over 70 hours maybe 75 worth of gameplay time. (and there is no way I'll do ALL the mini-quests)

This game is simply amazing, It feels like there is always plenty to do, and when do want to do somethign simple you can go fishing too! XD plus there are side quests to do while u fish... XD

The game play has plenty of new refreshing features, and also have plenty of traditional Zelda features, which is just how it all should be. ^_~

Definantly a game worth of GotY, or at least the 2nd spot of game of all times, right next to OoT. And I'm not exagerating. This game is near perfect. I can't see how Nintendo will ever best it with a future Zelda game.

And for those debating which version to get, you'd be a foul to pick up the Gamecube version over the Wii version, simply because the Wii version plays just fine, and still feels just like a Zelda game. There is no problems with the Wiimote, and making Link swing his sword is easy, and u forget ur even moving ur hand sometimes... It almost feels like your the one swinging the sword. Plus this doesnt tire you out. Everything else about the controllers feels right, doesn't feel tacted on at all! Pointing is the best part! I've never been so accurate with the Arrows before! ^_~

Sephex
11-29-2006, 09:39 PM
I've been playing for over 60 hours, and I haven't even started the last dungeon yet.
I've done some sidequests, but not all, probably not even half.
By the time I finish the game, I'll probably have over 70 hours maybe 75 worth of gameplay time. (and there is no way I'll do ALL the mini-quests)

This game is simply amazing, It feels like there is always plenty to do, and when do want to do somethign simple you can go fishing too! XD plus there are side quests to do while u fish... XD

The game play has plenty of new refreshing features, and also have plenty of traditional Zelda features, which is just how it all should be. ^_~

Definantly a game worth of GotY, or at least the 2nd spot of game of all times, right next to OoT. And I'm not exagerating. This game is near perfect. I can't see how Nintendo will ever best it with a future Zelda game.

And for those debating which version to get, you'd be a foul to pick up the Gamecube version over the Wii version, simply because the Wii version plays just fine, and still feels just like a Zelda game. There is no problems with the Wiimote, and making Link swing his sword is easy, and u forget ur even moving ur hand sometimes... It almost feels like your the one swinging the sword. Plus this doesnt tire you out. Everything else about the controllers feels right, doesn't feel tacted on at all! Pointing is the best part! I've never been so accurate with the Arrows before! ^_~

Dude, add your Wii friend code to the stickied thread that I have in this sub-forum!

Clouded Sky
12-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Picked it up yesterday, and I'm loving it so far.

The only complaint I have is that I feel like I'm just sort having a seizure to kill things. I'm sure I could be more precise, but it acheives the same end either way.

Tidus Andronicus
12-04-2006, 11:18 PM
Picked it up yesterday, and I'm loving it so far.

The only complaint I have is that I feel like I'm just sort having a seizure to kill things. I'm sure I could be more precise, but it acheives the same end either way.

Try making a little bigger swings as you attack something... because if you make swings too small you'll start to shake ur arm like a seizure... I know cause I used to do that too... and then the system doesn't read that as a sword swing, it just reads as a shake motion... lol

Like a 30 degree swing from your elbo seems to be the most comfortable and efficiant swing for Zelda, and still doesn't require to much movement. lol

JKTrix
12-05-2006, 08:20 PM
http://pressstarttoplay.net/comics/061126.jpg

...I swear I almost did this. Almost. The place I got it from wanted to keep the fact that they got Wiis a secret. Otherwise, I just might have.

Tidus Andronicus
12-06-2006, 11:32 PM
http://pressstarttoplay.net/comics/061126.jpg

...I swear I almost did this. Almost. The place I got it from wanted to keep the fact that they got Wiis a secret. Otherwise, I just might have.

haha Awesome XD

So yah, A few hours ago, I finally decided to beat the game... I got to the last leg like a week and a half ago... but I didnt' want the game to end...XD so I just kept doin side quests, and exploring...
But Just today I finally wanted to see the ending...

It was perfect ^_^; and even almost made me cry at a moment... some unexpected parts really hit me...
Ending when Midna said gbye and said maybe they could meet again, i felt a little happy... but then she broke the mirror T__T that was so sad T__T but... she had to break that to prevent any future problems with the Twilight... still so sad...

There were a few things I wish Nintendo could have added to the end of the game, but those kinds of things are never added to endings.. so i didn't expect it anyway XD... still they didn't even have a Ending Save spot, like WindWaker did... oh well. ^_^; the game is still great and the ending is still perfect.

But now I REALLY want to know what the next Zelda game will be like @_@ *goes insane* I know its gonna be like 2-3 years or so since we get a new game... probably a year till any Info even comes out... but I REALLY want to know what the next part in the legend will be!
Semi-Since they didn't put a flood in the end of the game, that means there could be another game that takes place between TP and WW, so I'm excited to see how the timeline will turn out someday.

I can't beleive its over... T_T after years of waiting, and dreaming of the game and hyrule... XD darn... Now begines the dead time until we get out next tease from the Zelda universe.

At least we'll get Phantom Hourglass in March to maybe hold us off a little. XD I'm sure I'll replay a lot of Zelda games while I wait.

Zeldy
12-16-2006, 07:14 PM
Im completely, utterly stuck on it. I think Ive glitched my file ;_____; I saved at a bit I shouldnt have saved, and its transported me elsewhere unable to get to where I need to be!
I went North and crossed Hyrule bridge to get to where the third dungeon was, blew up the rocks with the bombs and the bridge was removed by the twilight, and those twilight enemies dropped down which I hate, and I couldn't be bothered to kill so I saved. I turned the game on and it returned me to the village, unable to get across the bridge as its been removed! What do I doooooo? ;_;

Apart from that, my god its bloody amazing. I just wish I could carry on playing! Theres no way Im starting again, not yet anyway, I dont feel like repeating everything Ive already done. Id done two temples ;_;

Levian
12-16-2006, 10:37 PM
Oh my god, I love this game. I would explain why I love it, but oh my god.

Ben
12-17-2006, 02:49 AM
I don't understand about the Link then the Link wolf thing. can you guys explain it to me? :confused:

Tidus Andronicus
12-17-2006, 06:09 AM
I don't understand about the Link then the Link wolf thing. can you guys explain it to me? :confused:

Well, In Twilight Princess, there is a thing call the Twilight, which basically takes over sections of Hyrule at certain parts of the game... and whenever Link enters those areas, he turns into a wolf, because humans can not survive in the Twilight...(think of the Twilight as the Dark Realm in other Zelda games) Since Link is the hero chosen by the gods, and because he has the piece of the Triforce, instead of dying or turning into a spirit or twilight monster (as all other humans do) he turns into a Wolf, so that he can survive in a form strong enough to still be a hero.
Why exactly a Wolf? I have no clue, the developers choose a wolf thats why... xD Guess they thought a wolf was fitting for Link, as a brave and curagous hero... wolfs are sometimes considered noble or strong I guess O_o... its probably some Japanese idea of what a wolf is or something... thats probably why they choose a wolf... I guess.

KentaRawr!
12-17-2006, 11:09 AM

Well, In Twilight Princess, there is a thing call the Twilight, which basically takes over sections of Hyrule at certain parts of the game... and whenever Link enters those areas, he turns into a wolf, because humans can not survive in the Twilight...(think of the Twilight as the Dark Realm in other Zelda games) Since Link is the hero chosen by the gods, and because he has the piece of the Triforce, instead of dying or turning into a spirit or twilight monster (as all other humans do) he turns into a Wolf, so that he can survive in a form strong enough to still be a hero.
Why exactly a Wolf? I have no clue, the developers choose a wolf thats why... xD Guess they thought a wolf was fitting for Link, as a brave and curagous hero... wolfs are sometimes considered noble or strong I guess O_o... its probably some Japanese idea of what a wolf is or something... thats probably why they choose a wolf... I guess.

The humans aren't the ones that turn into shadow beasts. It's the monsters of the regular world that turn into shadow beasts. Of course, there is an exception with a certain enemy, but that would contain spoilers.

Also, only 2 Zelda games to my knowledge have actually had a dark world. FSA, and Alttp. And the Twilight isn't really a realm of its own, but sort of a fog that covers the world, and makes everything dark.

Leonffs
12-17-2006, 11:54 AM
Im completely, utterly stuck on it. I think Ive glitched my file ;_____; I saved at a bit I shouldnt have saved, and its transported me elsewhere unable to get to where I need to be!
I went North and crossed Hyrule bridge to get to where the third dungeon was, blew up the rocks with the bombs and the bridge was removed by the twilight, and those twilight enemies dropped down which I hate, and I couldn't be bothered to kill so I saved. I turned the game on and it returned me to the village, unable to get across the bridge as its been removed! What do I doooooo? ;_;

Apart from that, my god its bloody amazing. I just wish I could carry on playing! Theres no way Im starting again, not yet anyway, I dont feel like repeating everything Ive already done. Id done two temples ;_; You should be able to go around the long way. It's a bit of a trip though :p