PDA

View Full Version : So the monk sucks.

feioncastor
11-20-2006, 12:29 AM
I played the original FF3 a while back, and my monk was awesome. His defense was lacking, but generally speaking, I could always count on him to do more damage than my fighter/knight on any given round.

Now, on the DS version, they've ruined the monk. He's so weak. At this point (very early on), my "Warrior" does about 70-80 damage against the average enemy. My "Monk" does about 6-18 damage against the same enemy.

I hope he'll get better when I make him into a Master, or Karateka or whatever they're gonna call it.

Zeromus_X
11-20-2006, 12:38 AM
The Master/Karateka is referred to as a 'Black Belt' in this version.

And yes, I too was surprised at his pathetic damage output this time around. But I suppose it's worth it, as the Thief, Viking, Dragoon, Dark Knight, and most other unused melee classes recieve a substantial boost in power.

Unfortunately, the Black Belt job is now moved to the Earth Crystal, meaning you'll have to wait until near the end of the game to even use it, making most of the Black Belt weapons from the original version that you found near Amur not so useful, unless you want to use the Monk, and my then, my Thief/Ranger/Geomancer were already far outclassing him.

And Knights are very heart with the 'Cover' ability they have. <3 :cat:

Tavrobel
11-20-2006, 12:51 AM
Karateka > All

Sadly, his younger version is not the case. Have you tried dequiping him and letting him go bare-fisted? Perhaps the claws/nunchakau are keeping you down.

ValiantKnight
11-20-2006, 12:58 AM
Hmm so what is it with remakes of old FFs and weakening the monk/black belt class.....

DoS = weakened the black belt more than anyone, boosted thief...now if this is true for FFIII as well....

:(

J23
11-20-2006, 01:15 AM
At least he gives Vitality and Agility boost =-/

Lunadis
11-20-2006, 06:57 AM
Yeah, I also gave up on the Monk after carrying him half way through the game and he still remained obsolete.

However, Black Belt is another case. It took two dungeons for my Black Belt to catch up to my Knight. Overtime, the Black Belt reached my Knight's damage and he is now doing more damage than she is, and she has the two most powerful swords in the game. And no, my Knight doesn't suck and she's over job level 80. =P

The Boost ability is pretty worthless by the time you get it. I mean, at this late point of the game; If I was already doing over 7000 damage, and it sacrifices a turn to make me do 9999 damage, what's the point? D:

So in short, forget the Monk, have he/she play another damage job and switch to Black Belt later if you desire a good damage dealer.

Crossblades
11-20-2006, 02:51 PM
That's a darn shame. I loved using Monk in the original version:(

Oh well, I guess I'll make one of my starting characters a Red Mage or a Thief

Sefie1999AD
11-20-2006, 05:05 PM
I see. That means I'll have to try something else than a combination of Fighter/Knight and Monk/Karateka as my main physical fighters. Is the Fighter/Knight class still as strong as in FF3j, though?

Yamaneko
11-20-2006, 05:32 PM
Yeah, after noticing that I just switched over to two fighter/knight characters. The support from one black mage and one white mage is more than enough.

Lunadis
11-21-2006, 07:09 AM
XD I beat the game on my first shot with a Knight, Black Belt, White Mage and Bard a bit over 50. The only downside of the Black Belt is low Def and MDef, which is corrected with revolving use of the Madhura and Apollo Harp. If the enemy doesn't have magic, you can play Loki's Harp insteadof Apollo and watch as you Black Belt does flawless 9999's. I giggle when I read all these cookie cutter end game strategies with 1-2 ninjas and 2 Devouts/Sages. I wish I had kept Arc as a White Mage. =P

I see. That means I'll have to try something else than a combination of Fighter/Knight and Monk/Karateka as my main physical fighters. Is the Fighter/Knight class still as strong as in FF3j, though?The Knight is really nice. With Protect/Madhura Harp, late game enemies will be hitting you for 1 damage even at your mid 40s. Not only that, having both the end game swords with +5 to all stats each really makes up for lack of speed. If things go bad, and you can't play the Madhura Harp/don't have a Bard, you can equip two shields and Defend and the Knight can more or less sustain your party from melee attacks.

Cruise Control
11-21-2006, 12:51 PM
Whats the max job level?

I'm looking forward to trying a monk, since keeping the best equipment gets very costly, quick.

Zeromus_X
11-21-2006, 04:19 PM
There's free money just about everywhere until you leave the Floating Continent.

The maximum Job Level is 99.

Edit:

I giggle when I read all these cookie cutter end game strategies with 1-2 ninjas and 2 Devouts/Sages.

I think that the 'omfg I'm going to use teh harp' strategy is no less cookie cutter than any other strategy. The Sage and Ninja are downpowered to not be overpowered anymore.

Tavrobel
11-21-2006, 06:44 PM
Wait.

Wait.

Wait.

Wait.

Bards aren't useless?

Oops.

Zeromus_X
11-21-2006, 06:49 PM
Remember all those videos I linked to, Tavrobel?

Lunadis
11-21-2006, 07:32 PM
Requiem has two damage components. A percentage based damage component of 10%, and an amount that increases with the Bard's job level (from my observation). Requiem wasn't powerful for that full video for a reason, since if you have other strong damage dealers than you'd be better off playing Loki Harp. Though if it is 10%, you could do 9999 damage on the first turns on the final boss. XD

Bards are more or less the ultimate support class. If you've been training one since you gained access to the store with multiple harps, you'll easily have one to job 99 by the time you reach the final dungeons even without grinding. They get job levels quite easily, especially since they always go first. Pllaying the Dream Harp healed about 500 HP. While this ain't no Curaja, since Bards always go first, using it in combined with White Magic kept me alive.
I say, if you plan to go three physical fighters, go for a Bard instead. They can improve your damage just enough so that they won't slow you down. =P

I think that the 'omfg I'm going to use teh harp' strategy is no less cookie cutter than any other strategy. The Sage and Ninja are downpowered to not be overpowered anymore.Since none of my three friends are using anything remotely close to my ending party, save Knight and Devout, I can't quite say it's cookie cutter. Bards, after the first initial turns, are more or less as powerful as the party they're in. I wouldn't know about the rest of the people playing it. But from reading forums around the net, a lot of people don't even know what the songs are doing exactly. D:

vivi"s son#7
11-21-2006, 10:36 PM
yes I know that the monk sucks but there is something good about him. Oh wait, actually there is nothing good about him.

Kefka_Almighty
11-21-2006, 10:50 PM
Actually, my Monk seems fairly useful, as he tends to do 300+ damage when duel equipped with weapons. Right now, I'm at the fight with Salamander, who is kicking my ass.

vivi"s son#7
11-22-2006, 12:17 AM
Actually, my Monk seems fairly useful, as he tends to do 300+ damage when duel equipped with weapons. Right now, I'm at the fight with Salamander, who is kicking my ass.

my Knight tends to do 500+ damage.

Dr Unne
11-22-2006, 12:49 AM
Black belts suck, yes. This should be pretty obvious to anyone with a bit of historical background.

Zeromus_X
11-22-2006, 12:52 AM
マンク =/= Black Belt, Doctor. :cat:

Sefie1999AD
11-24-2006, 10:45 PM
Wow, so was the Bard changed from a nearly useless Job to one of the most useful support Jobs in the game? Not bad! :D

Zeromus_X
11-24-2006, 10:55 PM
Pretty much. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=qm7rDUoTx4s)

Tavrobel
11-25-2006, 03:28 AM
It's not worth a damn until I press the "A" button, and see it for myself.

Then, I realized that the A button is not quite nearly as useful as the Bard.

Markus. D
11-25-2006, 06:14 AM
its overuseful so says my friend (via phone, I am yet to go over and check out the import for myself).

I cant wait to get my paws on this and try out bard.

edit: he also says the Geomancer is extremely useful aswell.

Zeromus_X
11-25-2006, 06:24 AM
The Geomancer is the epitome of pwnage. For most of the game, it's free 'Black Magic' via Terrain offers extreme damage, and can exploit elemental weaknesses in some monsters. If you're lucky enough to get Shadowflare, you can off even bosses in one shot. In addition, although not tough enough to take the hits necessary to be a bona fide melee class, the Geomancer's bells hit extremely hard for the points in the game you find them at (such as the Rune Bells).

I'm very happy that all these class upgrades have taken place, as they allow more variety in job selections.

im_mrbrightside20
11-25-2006, 09:05 AM
i loved the geomancer he was so good..i also was shocked to see that the scholars books did good dmg for awhile and that his magic skills where good...i also loved how useful the evoker,viking,ranger,and bard actually were! and the summoner is amainzg too

i just got done doing everything there is to do in Eureka...but im going to go do the whole dungeon but not enter the room where you go to the Realm of Darkness...cause i wanna get a lot of gil and go visit eureka again and get like 20 more shruikens...

my current party is Luneth-Dragoon,Arc-Sage,Refia-Summoner,Ingus-Ninja

and my team is massacured the Eureka weapon bosses and have no problem ending a battle in 1 turn...its nice...

PS I found that Black Magic isnt that powerful in this game...i had a Magus and not summoner but i seen bahamut was out doing flare and metoer...and most of the summons seemed to do a lot more damage and the fact of how high the summoners mp is really made me realize how good the summoner was

Sefie1999AD
11-25-2006, 03:52 PM
It seems some of the more special classes, such as Bard, Geomancer, Evoker and Summoner, have been improved a lot. I hope the classes still are well balanced so that they aren't way overpowered.

Pretty much. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=qm7rDUoTx4s)

Heh, that strategy was totally different from what I used against Cerberus in FF3j NES. The damage scales seem to have changed, too. When I played, the only things that could deal 9999 damage were Hasted double Shurikens, and even they didn't do 9999 damage every time. The gamer was doing 9999 damage very often on that video, IIRC. Cerberus seemed to have more HP too.

Zeromus_X
11-25-2006, 07:18 PM
The final bosses in particular have recieved a huge HP boost. Many of the enemies have been boosted, because the number of enemies in battle has been reduced to three maximum due to graphical restraints (with the exception of one battle).

However, your characters can deal over 9,999 damage (which the displayed damage is only capped at 9,999) if thier attacks are powerful enough, so it all works out in the end.

Cruise Control
11-26-2006, 12:31 AM
How is a monks damage and defense determined, and do I want him bare-haded (tis the assumption).

Zeromus_X
11-26-2006, 12:33 AM
All I know is that if you want to use a bare fisted monk, its Job Level has to be high for the damage to really be effective. Give him weapons to increase his damage output, but lower the number of hits he does, or leave him bare fisted to increase the number of hits he does but lower his damage output. At least, I think that's how it goes.

undnce
11-26-2006, 12:45 AM
I hate monks:mad:

Tavrobel
11-26-2006, 12:51 AM
Don't go to Southeast Asia anytime soon, then.

Cruise Control
11-26-2006, 01:07 AM
But weapons lower his attack, and are few and far between. I'll stay bare-fisted.

feioncastor
11-27-2006, 06:52 PM
My Monk is good and all, but it seems that he's not as good as he was on NES.

Fireblade13
11-28-2006, 08:23 PM
I can't wait to play the game now! A good bard! I though Square would never be able to make anything get out of the spoony rut.

In FF1 I found the blackbelt to out damage the knight fairly quickly (Maybe earth dungeon) Haven't checked though as I haven't bother using them in the same team. So a double Monk + Redmage/support + Healer is not as good as Double Fighter with etc.