PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been to a funeral?

Chloe.
11-20-2006, 05:41 PM
I'm going to a funeral tommorow and I'm kinda scared :(. I've never been to one before so I don't know what to expect.

But I know that I am definately going to cry my eyes out :bigsmile: So I won't be putting on any make-up. ^^

starseeker
11-20-2006, 05:44 PM
I've been to 3. They aren't that bad. There is no shame in crying. Being overly happy is not good either.

Jowy
11-20-2006, 05:52 PM
*sigh*

Just this weekend, actually.

black orb
11-20-2006, 05:54 PM
>>> I hate funerals..

XxSephirothxX
11-20-2006, 05:55 PM
I've been to two. I wasn't close to either person who had died, though they were related to people I was close to. Seeing other people upset was a lot worse than actually knowing someone had died.

Quindiana Jones
11-20-2006, 06:24 PM
No. I'm loving the "Maybe...." option, by the way Reno is Quinny's man :bigsmile:

Moon Rabbits
11-20-2006, 06:33 PM
The fact that I've never had to go to a funeral is one of the few things I'm still thankful for.

Shaun
11-20-2006, 06:33 PM
Yeah, I was at my Uncle's funeral last year. I didn't cry though. I just didn't really feel anything at all - just blankness...

Sefie1999AD
11-20-2006, 06:34 PM
I've been to a few funerals, such as the funeral of my grandfather, my grandmother and my godfather. Don't feel too bad about crying there. If you miss that person and someone says something touching about him/her, it feels very sad, especially if there's some sad music playing there, and I think it's totally normal being sad in a funeral.

Yamaneko
11-20-2006, 06:36 PM
I've been to two. My great grandmother and my great uncle.

Marshall Banana
11-20-2006, 06:40 PM
If you don't know or care about the person who died, it's almost too boring to handle.

Dreddz
11-20-2006, 06:46 PM
Ive been to two, pretty grim stuff, but the food at funerals is always a plus.

Ethanol Dreams
11-20-2006, 07:02 PM
I've been to one, my gran's, but I was really young at the time so I don't remember much. I remember one thing though, nearly everyone was crying, so don't feel scared about that.

Yuna-Lenne
11-20-2006, 07:15 PM
My grandfather's, just about a year ago now. Never really knew him so I didn't feel anything. Just felt bad about the fact I wasn't feeling bad and my cousin kept saying "are you okay?"

Martyr
11-20-2006, 07:41 PM
Yep. I've been to funerals.

I can usually keep my cool, so people can come and cry to me. I've been called the "Rock."
I've also been called an insensitive punk, but the truth is simply that I can't easily cry in public, no matter how sad I am.

Iceglow
11-20-2006, 07:56 PM
I have been to too many funerals to be honest. They are sad affairs even when there was release in the form of death for the person. I have never been to a funeral where I cried in public though, sorry it isn't my way I might cry a few tears the night someone dies alone in my room or something but I then never shed another tear for that person. I can't I don't see the point in being weak for people.

The last funeral I went to was with Twisted Tinkerbell, her Nan had just died and she was really, really close and nice to Tinker's. Her funeral was the first time I had turned up not in all black. We were forbidden to wear black so I wore grey trousers with a pale yellow shirt.

I miss Tinker's nan still, she was a lovely person and I was glad to have known her.

Shauna
11-20-2006, 07:56 PM
I've been to two - my cousin, and my great aunt. :) It was... sad, indeed. :( I wouldn't worry about crying, a lot of people do. :)

Lost Number
11-20-2006, 07:57 PM
Been to a funeral once, I was a pallbearer. Gods I hate funerals. Not QUITE as much as I hate weddings.

Alastair|UK
11-20-2006, 08:03 PM
ive been to one she was like my mums best friend from when she was younger and been friends ever since she was my god mother or whatever and we was really close she had family and everything she died of cancer last year and if u are wondering how close we where she left my mum my brother and me money i got £1000 my brotehr got the same and i donno how much my mum got but no one els got left money it was the worst day of my life and still is and i was crying like hell and normally im the last person to show emotion for other people

yumi
11-20-2006, 08:11 PM
I went to my granma's when I was about 9. It was really nice as it was more of a celebration of her life than a mourning of her death. And in true Irish stlye ended up in the pub for a few drinks to send her off.

Jigsaw
11-20-2006, 08:15 PM
Yes, my Grandpa. I didn't know him too well because he lived so far away from me, but it was still very sad, because they told some stories about him that I had never heard, and they was very interesting. He was a farmer and he had all sorts of animals, but he specialized in chickens and everyone would ask for eggs from his farm because they were so good. After that I've asked for stories from all of my family members.

Lawr
11-20-2006, 08:16 PM
I've been to 5 three were open casket.

Vikeve
11-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Ive been to a couple funerals none of them I have seen my family members crying in but theres a lot of remenicing (if I spelled that right ><) and a lot of people walking up and saying how sorry they are.

I remmeber being bored when I was younger but really there not that boring or overdramatic. Becusae in my oppionion being all hysterical about the family member dead and screaming would be disrespectful.

All the fubnerals ive been to all have seemed melow and fragil but not crazy.

Open casket ones sort of freak me out when I look at there lifeless bodies but now im not so much afraid as I was its a little chilling knowing that person when she was alive and then seeing her lifeless.

Miriel
11-20-2006, 08:17 PM
I've been to 3.

One for my great Aunt when I was pretty young. It was open casket and my Mom kept telling me to go up and pay my respects or something and I started to cry cause I was scared and I didn't want to see a dead person.

2nd one was for one of my high school teacher's baby who died after only a week after he was born. They knew the chances of survival were slim, they decided not to abort, it was really heartbreaking.

3rd one was for a 17 year old girl I knew in High School. She had leukemia. I think her's was the saddest funeral of all.

ama124
11-20-2006, 08:19 PM
I've been to one.

It was my great grandma's and it was quite some time ago, maybe around 10 years ago. I dont remember too much about it :(

fantasyjunkie
11-20-2006, 08:49 PM
If you don't know or care about the person who died, it's almost too boring to handle.

Oh, this is so true. The boredom is horrible.
I've been to for too many funerals to count. When my grandfather on my dad's side died everyone threw a party and celebrated after the funeral because he was such a jerk. My grandmother and uncle actually took a cruise on a ship because they were so glad he passed away. A lot of us were not sad to see him go.
The saddest was when on of my 5 year old inlaws died because her parents neglected to send her to a doctor in time when she was really sick. They thought it "wasn't" serious enough to warrant a doctor's visit. That was a sad funeral.

Quindiana Jones
11-20-2006, 09:01 PM
Whenever I get too bored I laugh, so perhaps I shouldn't go to uncaring funerals?

~*~Celes~*~
11-20-2006, 10:27 PM
I've been to nine of them, most of them of family members. The most recent one was my band director's dad, which was still sad even though I didn't know the man because my band director is like a father to me, and to see him hurting like that made me really sad. Before that one was my friend's Grandpa and I cried because he kinda grew on me as a grandpa as well. Before that one was my own grandpa, he died of a heart attack...I wasn't that close to him because his wife (my dad's step-mom) prevented him from spending time with us and made him spend time with her kids instead...it truely was sad because I really wanted to get to know him. I cried at most of the funerals except for the first few because I was too young.

Evastio
11-20-2006, 10:30 PM
I've been to too many funerals. :(

Shlup
11-20-2006, 10:33 PM
Not since I was eight years old, but, yeah. Saw the bodies at both my great grandma's funeral when I was a kid. When I was... I think sixteen my last great grandma died, but we only had a memorial service at her daughter's house 'cause the funeral was in Texas and I was not invited.

Cruise Control
11-20-2006, 10:35 PM
Yeah, my mom made me leave my Grandfathers funeral since I did not convey a feeling of sorrow.

Mirage
11-20-2006, 11:03 PM
I have. My granddad and a friend. I was very young when my granddad died, but I remember it. It didn't affect me too much because I didn't quite understand this death thing, but I cried for hours when my friend died 5 years ago or so. It still hurts just mentioning it here on a message board. It was kinda strange at his funeral though. I was pretty much done crying several days before the funeral, but at the funeral I had a bit of a cold, so it seemed like I was a lot more moved than I actually was.

I was also at the funerals for my two great great aunts. However, they didn't make me feel as terrible as I did with when my friend died... Probably because they didn't get their life stolen in a motorcycle accident at the age of 18 :(.

Meat Puppet
11-20-2006, 11:19 PM
I’ve been to my great-grandfather’s funeral, my great-aunt’s funeral, an uncle’s funeral, a family friend’s funeral, another family friend’s funeral, and one of my friend’s funeral. I’m pretty sure that’s all of them, and in chronological order.

Christmas
11-21-2006, 01:37 AM
It is my dream to CREATE NANNY MANUS' funeral for him and attend it myself. :bigsmile:

Spammerman
11-21-2006, 01:38 AM
No.

fire_of_avalon
11-21-2006, 01:47 AM
I've been to three. The first one I went to happened when I was two, so I don't remember it. My great-grandfather died when I was eight. I cried. My great grandmother (his wife) died when I was eighteen. I didn't cry until a while after it happened. That scared me, that it took me so long to cry. It happens, I reckon.

Alex151
11-21-2006, 03:32 AM
I've been to a few, well two funerals and a lot of calling hours. My Grandpa and best friend are the only two funerals I've been to.

Leeza
11-21-2006, 03:37 AM
I've been to more funerals for family and friends than I care to count or discuss on an FF site.

Savern Volaco
11-21-2006, 04:01 AM
two in two months, grandpa uncle...I was smiling the whole time, why I scare my self thinking about it.

The Real Dark Messenger
11-21-2006, 07:05 AM
I have been to 11... it's never fun of course, but I have been fairly calm most of the time.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
11-21-2006, 08:56 AM
I went to a ceremonial when my friend died but we weren't allowed to go to the crematorium, that was strictly for the family

Resha
11-21-2006, 09:02 AM
I have been to one. I couldn't cry. :o I dunno why!

41-Inches-Wide
11-21-2006, 09:12 AM
I cried at my godmother's funeral. It was just too sad and she was such a kind woman.

Roto13
11-21-2006, 05:29 PM
My first experience with death was with my grandmother when I was 9. I went to her wake, took one look at her body, and burst into tears so I didn't go to the funeral.

The next time was three weeks later, with her youngest son. I was like "What? Two deaths in three weeks? Are you /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifting me?" and I didn't go to that one either.

The next one was a few years later with my great aunt but I was... out of town or something. That doesn't sound right. I didn't like her anyway.

The last one was in February of this year when my grandfather died. I went to the wake and the funeral this time, and I handled myself quite well (because I was, you know, 20 and not 9). It was really cold and snowy and windy, and everyone was crying but me. Come to think of it, I didn't cry at the wake either. Wow, that's quite the contrast isn't it?

Breine
11-21-2006, 05:58 PM
Yes, I attented my grandfather's funeral when he died back in 1995 - I was only seven at the time so I don't really remember that much (other than the fact that it was extremely sad).

I also went to one of my friend's father's funeral a couple of years ago.

... Those are the only ones I can remember I've been to.

Bunny
11-21-2006, 06:11 PM
I have been to one.

I cannot stand funerals. They are boring and unnecessary ceremonies and I hope I do not have to go to another one in my life. I refuse to have a funeral when I die. I will tell everyone closest to me this.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-22-2006, 01:26 AM
I went to a funeral of a family friend. I was actually quite depressed anyway at the time, and it made me feel worse, but I wanted to honour that person and her spirit.

I went to a great-aunt's funeral as well.

Since then I've avoided them. I'm not depressed anymore and I don't want to go to something that might trigger another unbalance.

My funeral is going to be orchestrated in a way that will have people laughing rather than crying. I don't know how I'm going to do it. Maybe I'll get a comedian to make jokes about me.

BardTard
11-22-2006, 01:30 AM
I've been to 3. One of my grandma's friends/relatives (not sure, she was just watching me at the time and I had to go with her), my great grandma's, and my friend TJ's. TJ's was the saddest...

Sakura
11-23-2006, 03:24 PM
I actually haven't been to a funeral, I haven't known or been close to anybody who's died. =]
I guess it'll just be harder when someone I love dies =[

vinnie's mini's
11-24-2006, 05:12 PM
Aww Reno! You should have said something to me, then I could've given you a big hug, even though I was crying the loudest out of everbody but theres nothing I can do about that now.

Just remember Vinnie is always here for you, so anytime you wanna talk I am there! -Glomps Reno-