PDA

View Full Version : After 6 years, I finally got this game...

Polnareff
11-20-2006, 11:43 PM
After a long time (6 flipping years!) of searching for this game everywhere, today I was able to finally get the game. This was the only FF I'd never played, besides 12. My friend, a huge FF fan, sold it to me for 15 bucks. And it's the original (i.e. not GH) version too! Can't get much better than that.

Yeah, I'm about 2 hours and 30 minutes into the game now, and it's really good. I like the way you learn abilities through equipping items (though I've been hearing bad things about how broken the game is because of it), and I like how the battle system is basically a mix of old and new.

My favorite part of the game besides the gameplay is the characters. Steiner and Vivi especially. And I also love how the game's beginning eschews any sort of cliched introduction. What I mean by that is, the game doesn't start out with a town burning or someone finding a crystal.

Soundtrack and graphics are pretty good too, especially for PSX standards.

I think maybe this game will end up being one of my favorite ones ever, if I give it just a little bit more time. :tongue:

Muse
11-21-2006, 01:04 AM
It won't disappoint you, I guarantee it. Sit back, relax and enjoy the ride.

Zeromus_X
11-21-2006, 01:07 AM
If anything, this game has one of the most balanced Final Fantasy customization sytems because of how you learn abilities.

Holy Lancer
11-21-2006, 02:12 AM
This is one of the best. The customization of abilities is great. I like the battle style and ways of learning abilities in this game. Keep playing this game the whole way. It's one of the best if not the best.

Twilight Edge
11-21-2006, 02:29 AM
trust me, you will love it. This is by far the most customised games I've ever played.

vorpal blade
11-21-2006, 03:35 AM
I traded FFT for this game, then bought FFT again. The game is one of my favorites.

Polnareff
11-21-2006, 12:08 PM
One thing I noticed about this game is how freaking difficult it is to win battles.

After hearing about how "easy" the game was, I'm glad the rumor about that isn't true, at least not for me. Vivi, Freya, and Quina seem to always be near death by the time a battle's over (I'm leveling up in Qu Marsh right now). That's good because I've finally found a game that challenges me right from the beginning instead of only at the end.

Cruise Control
11-21-2006, 12:31 PM
It's alright. It ranks in as my third favorite (12, and 10). I don't like that one dungeon I'm still stuck in.

Everit
11-21-2006, 01:50 PM
This is my favorite Final Fantasy game ever made. The soundtrack is great. The characters are great. The story is great. Like everyone said: just sit back and enjoy the ride, it's amazing from start to finish, and when it ends you'll wish it wasn't over.

Darth Cid
11-21-2006, 07:50 PM
You'll love it, I promised you that.

cloud21zidane16
11-21-2006, 08:56 PM
good story,good battle system, one of my favorites

Vivisteiner
11-21-2006, 09:20 PM
My favorite part of the game besides the gameplay is the characters. Steiner and Vivi especially.

Needless to say, (by looking at my name), I completely agree with you. The characters are great. Especially when you seem them in some hilarious ATE's.

Whats more, this game will just keep on getting better and better! Dont stop playing!

Timerk
11-22-2006, 12:33 AM
A very sad, but solid story, only somewhat messed up because of the deus ex machina final boss (see FFXIII). Other than that, very underrated for its gameplay mechanics.

RiseToFall
11-22-2006, 03:47 AM
Congratulations on your purchase, and like many have said: You will love this game. My 3rd favorite FF, believe me, that's saying something.

Polnareff
11-22-2006, 11:47 AM
I'm on the second disc now, and the game's becoming even better. I'm in Cleyra now.

But I was worried that this game might be a bit shorter than I thought, since it only took me eight hours to beat the first disc. Maybe when I stat doing more sidequests the game won't feel so short.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
11-22-2006, 03:26 PM
Disc One is the best disc in the game IMO

Slicksword45
11-22-2006, 03:59 PM
disc 1 and 4 are kind of short.

All the other disc are long :)

cloud21zidane16
11-22-2006, 04:40 PM
disc 1 and 4 are kind of short.

All the other disc are long :)

yeah, disc 3 is the longest becuase thats when most sidequests become available, theres also lots of things that you can do that cant be done on disc 4

XxSephirothxX
11-22-2006, 06:04 PM
Absolutely my favorite game in the series. The writing and characterization is unsurpassed, the music is beautiful, and it even has a love story tucked in there that manages not to be too tacky or steal the focus of the game. The ability system works fine--as long as you spend a decent amount of time in random battles (you shouldn't have to do much, if any, level grinding) you'll learn most of your abilities right before you have the opportunity to buy new equipment. The Mognet sidequest is a lot of fun, and beating Ozma is a cool challenge. Also, the Chocobo hunt is pretty cool, but can be extremely frustrating at times. Still worth doing, though. :D

Skyie
11-29-2006, 06:09 PM
Top top game. Currently going through Vivi SSC and its pretty damn tough. The little kid has bugger all HP!

The Crystal
11-29-2006, 08:40 PM
This is one of the(if not the) best FF that exist, in my opinion. The only bad thing about it, is that you don't want it to end, but unfortunatelly, the game is not infinite, and have an end.

nik0tine
11-30-2006, 01:48 AM
You will never find a final fantasy that tops this game. It's absolutely superb in every single way. You're lucky. I wish I could play it for the first time again.

Zidane Ultimate
11-30-2006, 05:49 AM
I agree completely with nik0tine on that, it was just an amazing experience playing through FFIX for the first time.

Crossblades
11-30-2006, 05:43 PM
I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying this game. It is indeed one of the best. Keep on playing. It just gets better:)

Polnareff
12-09-2006, 05:33 PM
Love this game.

I'm on the third disc, right after you go to Lindblum castle and Cid gets turned back into a human and it's been a great ride so far. My favorite moment up to this point was when you find Eiko in Mt. Gulug and Zorn/Thorn try to summon an Eidolon from her, then Mog comes to the rescue, turns into an eidolon herself, and uses an attack called Terra Homing on them. That was possibly my favorite part of the story so far.

LazarCotoron
12-09-2006, 10:15 PM
For my comment, you need to understand that Final Fantasy as a series is kind've an on/off switch affair. I love the games or I hate them, with FFVII being the only one I'm KIND'VE indifferent on (Cloud cross dressing almost makes up for the rest of the game).

FFIX is one of the three FF games (two if you don't count Tactics) that I consider to be 'the best FF ever'. FFIX is the game that made me say, "Y'know, I love FFVI, and it's time to move past those fond memories and say that something new did it better."

The first and last discs are pretty short (like everyone's been saying), but I honestly believe it's because those two discs have the most cutscenes in them... And while I'm usually more to talk about what made the game playable and interesting, since everyone else did that... Discs 1 and 3 have the most amazing cutscenes to be put into a Final Fantasy until FFXII. Oh, and FFIX holds the distinction among FF titles (jointly if you count Tactics-I DO) of making me care about the characters.

Slicksword45
12-09-2006, 11:33 PM
this game rocks. I love this game. let's sing a song :)

or not.

this is my fav FF

VengefulRonin
12-10-2006, 02:16 AM
You will never find a final fantasy that tops this game. It's absolutely superb in every single way. You're lucky. I wish I could play it for the first time again.

First IX experience = amazing. This game got me into the series.

Oh, and FFIX holds the distinction among FF titles (jointly if you count Tactics-I DO) of making me care about the characters.

*nods* My first time playing IX, by the end of the game i had fallen in love with characters (except quinna and eiko...) and i was realy sad that the game was over, it was like saying goodbye to good friends. How many other games can do that? Now I'm on my fifth file ^_^ I just dont grow tired of the characters or the story, and the music is fantastic. Its the only FF soundtrack that i've actually bought instead of simply downloading.

lufia
12-14-2006, 05:49 PM
yeah this is the only final fantasy that i got the feeling of not wanting to end it. my fav. near the end when something happens to zidane is the best moment in game history, the part were they play the song "you're not alone" you find out soon :)

chrisfffan
12-14-2006, 07:05 PM
i hated it when i first played it, it was so different to 7 and 8 i played it again a year later and got hooked! it was the first FF i completed after that their was no stopping me i done them all 8 then 7 then X even though i didnt like X i felt that i had to complete it!