PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear Solid vs Splinter Cell (Which is Better?)

The Devil Man
11-21-2006, 10:07 AM
Hmm...

I ain't really into stealthy games but I've recently been convinced to check out the Metal Gear Solid series by RiseToFall. I already owned all the Splinter Cell games for the sole reason that they were damn cheap (like about $10/£6 each). Now I've also gone and bought Metal Gear Solid's 2 and 3 (The Substance and Subsistence versions)

I am gonna start playing games more over the Christmas when I have more time but I am not sure which series to start first. Metal Gear Solid? Or Splinter Cell?

So the Topic, and Poll, is very simple. Which Series do you think is better and why? Metal Gear Solid or Splinter Cell?

Craig
11-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Splinter Cell SUCKS man.

sephirothishere
11-21-2006, 10:54 AM
well...i started this thread several months ago....and splinter cell is fun...definitely less elaborate stories compared to mgs....but splinter cell is great if ya jus want some good old fashioned neck snappin fun...
i think hte first splinter cell has the best storyline....but i never finished chaos theory..i got bored half way through....but in terms of gameplay i think splinter cell has the most realistic....they are both cool..but i personally prefer metal gear solid...

Cruise Control
11-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Definitely MGS, Sam's a weak little bitch. And they realized his stealth sucks, hence some new mechanics in Rogue Agent.

sephirothishere
11-21-2006, 02:21 PM
And they realized his stealth sucks, hence some new mechanics in Rogue Agent.

his stealth rocks....and its sc:double agent....

Everit
11-21-2006, 02:32 PM
Don't listen to anyone else's response but mine.

Metal Gear Solid is the greatest game series ever made (after ff of course :P). the story is great and the characters are awesome. play it until solid snake comes out of the tv and rips out your heart.

Fatal Impurity
11-21-2006, 02:42 PM
it all depends on what you prefer devil man...all out action with manga inspired boss battles, circus freaks and genetically engineered super soldiers?

OR

A totally realistic government agent stealth 'em up in which you avert terrorist threats and save the world?

Cruise Control
11-21-2006, 02:57 PM
If we wanted realism, we wouldn't be playing a video game.

Eiko Guy
11-21-2006, 04:16 PM
Cruise Control FTW

Alastair|UK
11-21-2006, 04:41 PM
SPLINTER CELL 4 Life i got all 4 :D metal greas crappy all i really remember from playing them was crawling around under a box

Jowy
11-21-2006, 04:44 PM
Metal Gear is AWESOME. >:o

It's what started the genre of Tactical Espionage Action. Forget the knockoffs and stick with the tried and true formula.

Dreddz
11-21-2006, 04:54 PM
Metal Gear Solid, but im not one of those people who obsess over the game, its merely above average.

XxSephirothxX
11-21-2006, 05:17 PM
How many of you people have even given the Splinter Cell series a chance? Jesus. The Metal Gear Solid series has the wacky Japanese storyline that's more appealing to a lot of gamers. I have only played Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes for a few hours, and I really dug the story, but the gameplay bored me. The top-down perspective was clunky, as was the shooting, and I just had trouble getting into it.

I haven't played a ton of Splinter Cell, either, but they really got the spy thing down, at least in Chaos Theory. You can do so many cool things, and they make the hiding and running around and the use of gadgets much more effective. Splinter Cell has some great multiplayer, too, with the Spy versus Merc battles. From what I've played of the two series, Splinter Cell is a much more enjoyable experience lacking the fun plot of MGS. But then, if you're going to play both, it doesn't really matter. Just pick one. :p

Roto13
11-21-2006, 05:46 PM
Ugh. I hate Splinter Cell. Metal Gear Solid is hardcore. One of the two reasons I'd buy a PS3 if I had money. You know, later.

Drift
11-21-2006, 06:42 PM
Snake? Snake! Snake!? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!

Croyles
11-21-2006, 06:48 PM
I HATE Metal Gear Solid. What with fighting circus freaks, being turned into a japanese movie/food product advertisement whore and having noticed that the plot is suddenly about aliens at the end rather than something at least a LITTLE more fitting.

I dont think I will like the new Splinter Cell (double agent) at all, but Chaos Theory was awesome. I am perplexed how so many people on this forum hate the series though, and love MGS, ugh. IMO Splinter Cell at least still has a concrete story, unlike MGS going off in a dozen tangents. The gameplay for MGS was pretty bad I thought. And in my opinion SC had EXCELLENT gameplay. I loved hiding in shadows, always finding new ways to sneak up to/past your enemies and the general suspense (which was helped along by Amon Tobins soundtrack). I could give details, but im tired at the moment :D

Like Azar said, I doubt many people here have given Splinter Cell a chance. I have completed 2 metal gear solids, even after being bored of the game each time because I thought I might like it more at some point. How wrong I was. I guess so many people on this forum like MGS because its closer to Final Fantasy than SC is.

Roto13
11-21-2006, 06:51 PM
Aliens?

Croyles
11-21-2006, 06:57 PM
At least not human. "A layer of consciousness" or something along that line.

RiseToFall
11-21-2006, 06:58 PM
Even though my sig and ave are of Solid Snake, this is still a hard decision. I played through all of Snake's and Sam's adventures and even though they're both stealth, they are quite different.

Splinter Cell takes the realistic approach to things. Not a big surprise since Tom Clancy is involved with the series. Whiled MGS goes for a more fantasy kind of approach, though that's what gives MGS that great storyline and memorable characters.

If I absolutely had to choose one series, MGS would be it. Though Sam is a great character and Michael Ironside really gives him a great personality. The MGS characters and story make this series stand above not just games in the genre but most games period.

Moon Rabbits
11-21-2006, 07:20 PM
I prefer MGS' story and characters. I don't understand Splinter Cell for the life of me, I won't lie!

Both are very good games, and I love Splinter Cell's gameplay alot, but MGS wins for me just because the story is more appealing and I have more fun playing it.

Pete for President
11-21-2006, 10:18 PM
Hmm...

I ain't really into stealthy games but I've recently been convinced to check out the Metal Gear Solid series by RiseToFall. I already owned all the Splinter Cell games for the sole reason that they were damn cheap (like about $10/£6 each). Now I've also gone and bought Metal Gear Solid's 2 and 3 (The Substance and Subsistence versions)

Metal Gear Solid 1 is by far the best in the series. Go get it (play it, love it). MGS 2 and 3 are both great aswell, but nothing tops the first in any way. Well, graphics and AI, but that's a given. In story, presentation, characters and everything else, nothing beats MGS 1 IMO. I even like the general gameplay more in the first MGS.

Psychotic
11-22-2006, 11:46 PM
Splinter Cell is the only game I own that I haven't completed. I don't really have the patience to be stealthy 100% of the time. The thing about MGS is that if you're discovered, you at least have a chance of fighting your way out of it. But in SC, if you're discovered the enemies make you their bitch.

Jigsaw
11-23-2006, 04:18 AM
Metal Gear all the way!

Shoeberto
11-23-2006, 04:22 AM
Azar's got the same feelings as I do; the MGS story is pretty sweet, but gameplay feels weak.

Well, mostly because it has a frustratingly high rate of cutscenes. It's like you can't go two steps without one being thrown in your face, generally going into great detail about a subplot that doesn't really need all that much detail.

I just get annoyed walking two steps from a codec transmission to get another codec transmission. But hey, that's me.

I like Splinter Cell because it really feels like more of an interactive stealth environment and less like an on-rails cinematic experience.

Shiny
11-23-2006, 04:24 AM
I don't really have the patience to be stealthy 100% of the time.
In Splinter Cell (especially in Chaos Theory) you have the option of not being stealthy at all and just full out shooting things. I like both series, but Splinter Cell just a little bit more.

Sylvie
11-23-2006, 04:31 AM
Metal Gear.

Shoeberto
11-23-2006, 04:37 AM
I don't really have the patience to be stealthy 100% of the time.
In Splinter Cell (especially in Chaos Theory) you have the option of not being stealthy at all and just full out shooting things. I like both series, but Splinter Cell just a little bit more.
The first time I knifed someone in that game was one of the most exhilirating gaming experiences I've ever had, mostly because of how surprising it was to just straight-up stab some dude in the gut and have him be dead when I'd gotten so used to having to thwap them around a few times.

Which is why Chaos Theory is such a sweet game.

sephirothishere
11-23-2006, 01:55 PM
ya..on hte first few levels i got like..30% completion ratin fro each level cuz i jus went slashin every enemy in the level..haahah...

Venom
11-23-2006, 02:46 PM
Metal Gear all the way!

Breine
11-23-2006, 02:58 PM
Definitely Metal Gear Solid!

ama124
11-23-2006, 04:28 PM
Metal Gear Solid for the win :D

Raebus
11-23-2006, 04:29 PM
I don't play games for realism, I play them for fun and the metal gear solid series wins on this level.