PDA

View Full Version : Music vs. Personality

Moon Rabbits
11-22-2006, 01:49 AM
I am an avid fan of Utada Hikaru. I love everything about her music and personality. She's quirky and strange, plays tetris, and has a stuffed bear she calls Kuma-chan ("Bear").

However, before I knew all these things about her, I listened to her music. When I actually went to her website/blog and read a few things about her, I found that I became even more of a fan because I found her personality so insanely cute.

So, does the personality of a singer/band influence how big of a fan you are of theirs? If the singer/band played about views you disagreed with, or did something wrong (ie. Michael Jackson) but still made music you found very good, would you still listen to them?

Rye
11-22-2006, 01:53 AM
Oh yes. I always like to research any musical group I enjoy. Usually this enhances my approval of them, but some factors will make me like them slightly less.

Paro
11-22-2006, 02:10 AM
don't get personality confused with clever market ploy.

i sperate both of them just for those reasons.

El Bandito
11-22-2006, 02:48 AM
Music is music and I'll leave it alone at that. Though I hate to see artists I like start to crumble apart in real life, their music is no less significant.

To take an example you gave, I'll agree that Michael Jackson is a creep nowadays and overall not exactly the most shining of individuals. The album "Thriller" is still great though.

NorthernChaosGod
11-22-2006, 03:34 AM
Nope, granted I know tons about the bands and artists I like, their personality doesn't affect my liking of their music.

Example, Glenn Danzig of The Misfits and Danzig fame is an asshole with a Napolean Complex, but I still thoroughly enjoy his music.

I Took the Red Pill
11-22-2006, 03:48 AM
The actual music probably plays a bigger factor, but reading up on an artist usually makes me respect them more and I end up enjoying the music more. A prime example of this for me is The Doors, I started listening to them alot more than before after I read a biography of Jim Morrison.

Avarice-ness
11-22-2006, 03:48 AM
I could honestly care less about the bands themselves.

It's all about the music for me.

Shoeberto
11-22-2006, 03:52 AM
I like finding out about their backgrounds. It's usually something that makes me feel more like I can associate with the artist.

jrgen
11-22-2006, 10:15 AM
I couldn't care less about musicians' personalities.

sephirothishere
11-22-2006, 01:51 PM
well....yngwie malmsteen is a dickhead....thats for sure...so..i dun really like him that much..whne ya think about becker whos had lou gehrigs disease since he was liek 22....and...cant like do anythin but move his eyes...and he was a decent bloke...so...thats kinda depressin..bu it doesnt really make a difference....but i do know htis one guy..who fuckin loves trivium...and he tries to look exactly liek that lead dude...and he started liftin weights and everythin...its funny...cuz..hes kinda nerdy......hah.haahahahah......hahahah....

charliepanayi
11-22-2006, 06:53 PM
It all depends really, for instance some people like Robbie Williams and Girls Aloud irritate me so much I can't even judge their music objectively because of it. Also Oasis, who have some great songs, but the hideous Neanderthals that are the Gallagher brothers almost ruin it for me. But on the other hand though someone like Damon Albarn is a pompous idiot at times, he's still a brilliant musician with Blur and Gorillaz in my eyes. Also Morrissey has given some repellent views in my opinion on people who do research on animals, but I love The Smiths still.
So it really depends how irritating I find the person/band in question.

I Don't Need A Name
11-22-2006, 07:34 PM
if i liked the music, i listen to it. if i find out about the band, and like them, all the better. but if i dont like the band members, it only puts me off them a little bit

Xander
11-22-2006, 07:52 PM
It's about the music, but the band members could also change my opinion, usually in a good way. Most of the music I listen to I don't even know what the band look like...xD Or have seen them sing live... so when I saw a few bands I liked live, I liked them even more! Though I guess that's not really about personality, though Jof from TBLLT was so cute and fun, I liked him even moooore ^_^

And I think after I saw The Kooks on TV it put me off them cos they seem a bit up themselves, along with some other indie "we are gods" bands... but I still like the songs I liked before by them.... after I saw Belle and Sebastian on TV I also liked them even more!

So yeah I guess I do care, though it would really depend on how much I liked the band, for example of montreal could do what the hell they wanted and I couldnt stop liking them. It's more if I vaguely like a band, then they annoy me I'll like them less.

Edit - Oh and Michael Jackson's music has been through my whole life and it's amazing, so I love him whatever <3

Miriel
11-23-2006, 01:33 AM
Eh, I don't really care too much about an artist's personal life unless it's something pretty bad. Like if a singer urinated on a teenage girl. You know, that kind of stuff.

Otherwise I don't really care to look into their personal lives. I like music for the music.

Ryth
11-23-2006, 01:55 AM
Personality means little, its about the music, but sometimes it'll affect how much I listen to the music. Like I don't really like Brandom Flowers, but I like The Killers. It is all about the music, baby.

Miriel
11-23-2006, 01:57 AM
Oh man. Brandon Flowers is one of those people who influence me negatively so that I don't even want to hear their music anymore. Flowers is a cheating scumbag, and I know this personally.

BardTard
11-23-2006, 02:28 AM
Not really. I like the music that I do because I feel like I can relate to the songs. For example, a band writes several songs about situations that I've been through, but I learn things about some members that I really don't like, but that doesn't have any effect on the music.