PDA

View Full Version : The FF Origins version owns the original any day!

Peter_20
11-22-2006, 11:40 AM
Alright, this game has a tendency to keep me completely hooked when I decide to give it a try again; wherefore I've been playing this like a maniac for some days now.
However, I tried the Origins version of this one, and I must say this version completely blows the original into the water big-time. :thumb:
There are several reasons as to why this version is superior, the graphics being a vital point; for let's be honest: graphics do affect the overall feeling in a game.
There's no denying that detailed chars and actual battle backgrounds make a great difference.
Also the game flows much better and feels much "cleaner", if you follow me.
Instead of having to deal with boring magic animations that take forever we get COOL, FAST magic animations, and now we can actually cast this spell on those 8 enemies without fearing a major tedium.
The menus rock as well: you can sort your items very easily, and everything just seems generally easier.
There's even a Dash function, at least if you play the Easy Mode. :p
And let's not forget the soundtrack: all compositions sound extremely nice, and I especially liked the addition to the Overworld Theme: this addition possessed a dark, secret atmosphere, and it fits very well with the rest of the melody.

This version is indeed very well executed, I must say. :)
Now I'll have to play this version some more. :D

Fatal Impurity
11-22-2006, 01:25 PM
i prefer originality over rehashed half assed easier remakes....

rubah
11-22-2006, 05:31 PM
Easier and harder, wasn't it?

Bart's Friend Milhouse
12-07-2006, 06:26 PM
I haven't played the original but I'm agreeing with you :up:
I like to think my £7 was money well spent :D

Captain Maxx Power
12-07-2006, 06:33 PM
I still prefer the DoS version, simply because it got rid of some bugs that should've been gotten rid of anyway, allows one of play FF2 anywhere (which is better than sliced bread, slice bread being very overrated), and you get a rather neat additional campaign to play through. :cool:

Zeromus_X
12-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Well, yes, it is. It still retains its original difficulty with a few added features. That's like someone comparing FFI for the NES to FFI for Origins. xD It's clear to see which one is superior.

Sefie1999AD
12-08-2006, 03:03 PM
FFII Origins made the system a bit better than the WSC system, but the game still had its problems. I think the gameplay was quite slow, and leveling up weapons and spells takes forever, so raising spells isn't really worth it. I also dislike the translation in FFII Origins. Fortunately, FFII DoS changed the way how weapons and spells level up, and even though some things were made easier in FFII DoS, I still think the GBA version was quite challenging and a good remake.

Wild0ne
12-11-2006, 03:09 PM
I liked in DOS where they took away the whole equiping items thing...WTF was that?? "Hey I need a potion!!!" "I can't give you one I don't have one equiped" "I am just gonna poison myself, this is just freaking insane!" "You can't though!! You don't have poison equipped!!!!!!" "**Holds breath until he turns blue**"

ReloadPsi
01-11-2007, 10:06 PM
If not played in Easy mode, the Origins versions on the PSX were virtually the same game, save for a few extra cutscenes which certainly don't affect the game's difficulty. The game's interface was simply tweaked so that it didn't quite play like sailing down a river of diarrhea in the same way as the NES version did. The only thing making the game easier is a bunch of options you can either switch off, or just not use at all. Sorted.

The DoS version was too easy though: I mean, it's the only version I ever actually completed so it must have been too easy :)

robfinalfantasy
01-31-2007, 02:14 AM
Actually something I didn't like about the Origins version (that doesn't affect gameplay or difficulty) was the redesigning of Firion's sprite. I used to love how he looked like a fighter back in FFIInes. Now he looks kind of cheesy. Anyone ever seen his menu portrait in DoS? It looks like he's posing as a model or something. Very gay indeed.

DarkLadyNyara
03-04-2007, 07:37 AM
I still prefer the DoS version, simply because it got rid of some bugs that should've been gotten rid of anyway, allows one of play FF2 anywhere (which is better than sliced bread, slice bread being very overrated), and you get a rather neat additional campaign to play through. :cool:

Seconded. The script in DoS is much better as well. :D Although Origins does have its merits.

darksword12
03-11-2007, 12:55 AM
DoS doesn't have the stat reductions that were present in the original and in origins. That's a real plus, IMO.

Psychotic
03-11-2007, 03:35 AM
And let's not forget the soundtrack: all compositions sound extremely nice, and I especially liked the addition to the Overworld Theme: this addition possessed a dark, secret atmosphere, and it fits very well with the rest of the melody.The rebel base theme had the greatest improvement. While I can't stand to listen to the NES Version for very long, I really liked the Origins version.

Peter_20
03-11-2007, 02:35 PM
And let's not forget the soundtrack: all compositions sound extremely nice, and I especially liked the addition to the Overworld Theme: this addition possessed a dark, secret atmosphere, and it fits very well with the rest of the melody.The rebel base theme had the greatest improvement. While I can't stand to listen to the NES Version for very long, I really liked the Origins version.That one is really good, definitely one of the more beautiful melodies in this game.

Too bad there's no "prologue" part of this game, though; it would be really nice to hear the wonderful Final Fantasy Theme.

Bolivar
03-20-2007, 03:22 AM
I alwasy thought the real accomplishment of Origins/DoS/WC was the remake of FFII. While FFI was basically a graphic/sound/easier difficulty upgrade from the NES version, it didn't address the fact that the game lacks story.

In FFII's case they took a game with :skull::skull::skull::skull:ty software and a great vision and made it into a very fun game and a damn good Final Fantasy.

Fire_Emblem776
03-21-2007, 10:52 PM
And to think this game is being ported again, not that im complaining..

darksword12
03-26-2007, 05:22 AM
The soundtrack is, indeed, awesumnative. I saw a concert of final fantasy music once, and they played that. It owned.