PDA

View Full Version : Discuss & dibate

Yew-Yevon
11-22-2006, 07:33 PM
Well it seems that the Xbox1 has had its share of lovely shooters but has anyone ever wondered wich game uses most of the GPU in the little black box?

I'll list what i think are the 4 best looking FPS games made for Xbox and see which you think made the atempt to show the full GPU power.

Which game pulled it off the best? (as for me...I say Half life 2 )

edczxcvbnm
11-22-2006, 08:49 PM
I don't know. I own all of them but Halo 2 is the only one that I have for the XBox. The rest I have for the PC...so I am scewing your poll by voting for Halo 2.

NeoCracker
11-22-2006, 09:00 PM
None of them will match Golden eye 007 on the 64.

XxSephirothxX
11-22-2006, 09:39 PM
Yes, because Goldeneye made full use of the Xbox's graphical processing capabilities. :rolleyes2

I'm not sure which it would be. Halo 2's cutscenes were fantastic, and the fact that they suffered from some pop-in suggests that the system could barely handle displaying it all. For the best all-around good looking game, though, I imagine Doom 3 was the most demanding. But Half-Life 2 was no slouch either. :p I'd vote Doom, but just by a hair.

NeoCracker
11-22-2006, 10:21 PM
Of course, no 64 game has ever used the XBOX better.

Roto13
11-22-2006, 11:31 PM
Certainly not Conker's Bad Fur Day.

RiseToFall
11-23-2006, 05:10 AM
Doom 3: It's not the best FPS, but it certainly is pretty.

Sylvie
11-23-2006, 05:21 AM
Super Mario 64.

Shoeberto
11-23-2006, 05:44 AM
Doom 3: It's not the best FPS, but it certainly is pretty.
Yeah, considering how the game owned PCs but managed to run at consistent framerates and pretty good quality on a machine much lower than standard PCs of the time is a big feat.

Granted, Halo 1 on PC ran like crap on its generation of PCs, but I think that's just shoddy porting :)

I haven't seen much of Halo 2, but given its origins, Doom 3's got my vote.

Yew-Yevon
11-23-2006, 08:44 PM
Allow me to give some resons for Half life 2 as my choice.

1st -lets look at what they all have in common, (HDR lighting) all these shooters have fantasic lighting effects

ex:Doom3's contrast of brightness and shadows

Halo2's reflective shine on metal (same goes for far cry and half life 2)
but I'll narow it down to 2... Halo 2 and Half life 2. I see these as the top 2 on this list one thing they both have that the frest don't is good Reflection. Halo 2 if you ever bother to look, surten wepons reflect light as well as the area around you. Half life 2 dose the same but much more clearer and almost any object (the sheen of metal and organic objects even distorts dipending on the roughness) creatures, people, the world even the water itself reflects and refracts. The floors in the game looked absolutly real its shocked me.

2-characters: although Doom3 and Halo 2 and more detailed modles they don't lipsync or move like real people. Half life 2 nails this perfectly, when someone is talking you see their lips move to each letter in the words they speak. and the whole time they do this,they face your direction no mater where you are. they even asume natural poses,

3- gameplay this is the last point...no other shooter i'v played gave you the ability to grab anything that wasn't nailed down and carry it with your gun still drawn. This added new tactics that I normaly never would have been able to do such as taking a gas barel throwing it at the enemy and then shoot at it to finish them off.

RiseToFall
11-23-2006, 08:46 PM
Allow me to give some resons for Half life 2 as my choice.

1st -lets look at what they all have in common, (HDR lighting) all these shooters have fantasic lighting effects

ex:Doom3's contrast of brightness and shadows

Halo2's reflective shine on metal (same goes for far cry and half life 2)
but I'll narow it down to 2... Halo 2 and Half life 2. I see these as the top 2 on this list one thing they both have that the frest don't is good Reflection. Halo 2 if you ever bother to look, surten wepons reflect light as well as the area around you. Half life 2 dose the same but much more clearer and almost any object (the sheen of metal and organic objects even distorts dipending on the roughness) creatures, people, the world even the water itself reflects and refracts. The floors in the game looked absolutly real its shocked me.

2-characters: although Doom3 and Halo 2 and more detailed modles they don't lipsync or move like real people. Half life 2 nails this perfectly, when someone is talking you see their lips move to each letter in the words they speak. and the whole time they do this,they face your direction no mater where you are. they even asume natural poses,

3- gameplay this is the last point...no other shooter i'v played gave you the ability to grab anything that wasn't nailed down and carry it with your gun still drawn. This added new tactics that I normaly never would have been able to do such as taking a gas barel throwing it at the enemy and then shoot at it to finish them off.

Yeah, but it had load times like crazy.