PDA

View Full Version : Singing problems...

TidusMaster
11-23-2006, 02:29 AM
ok....I sing in a band, final Crisis. wer're new, and stuff, and im a good singer. My best freinds Alex(the guitarist) and kiwi(the sounds guy) have heard me, and they said im great. But..my problem is...is that i cant sing in front of them, or anyone else..IM SO AFRAID!!!! I totally get terrified.does anyone have this same problem? and do you know how to fix it? so...were pretty much talking about stage fright here...

The New Kid
11-23-2006, 02:32 AM
Best tip: just do it. Once you get over the first take of doing vocals, you'll notice your second time significantly improves.

That is, honestly, the best way. In my experience, anyway.

Shlup
11-23-2006, 02:34 AM
I have no idea. Just... get used to it? I don't know. Start small, work your way up. If you wanna sing in a band, you have to get used to singing in front of people. Kinda comes with the territory.

I guess... just sing for you. Sing because you rock at it and you feel awesome when you're doing it. Don't worry about performing for others, just rock out.

Or picture everyone naked?

Rye
11-23-2006, 02:35 AM
I sing in honors choir and I sing solo, so my best advice for you is to breathe deep before singing (it calms me down, and if you get nervous singing, your throat closes up and makes singing more difficult), stand up straight, remember to breathe in your phrases (I don't know about you, but when I'm nervous, I forgot to breathe and I lose stamina towards the ending of a phrase) and don't focus on faces if that makes you nervous. When I have to sing on stage in a solo or duet, I end up having the audience blur into one big light. Close your eyes if it makes you feel more comfortable, it helps if you worry about your sound when singing solo, because it allows your mind to focus on your sound. It might sound like bull, but we've experimented with it in honors choir and it really does work. Without distractions, you hear your sound and the other sounds and you can blend and be more powerful.

Don't start out overpowering or too loud at first, if you're nervous, because you might end up going off pitch like what happens to me if I do that. Start off softer and where you're comfortable at, then work your way up once you feel the music and are feeling more comfortable and confident. Trust me, starting is the hardest part, but once you get past those first few seconds and have your footing, it gets a lot easier.

Just practice this a lot, and it will get easier, trust me. But you need to practice singing in front of people now so by the time you do something live with a larger group, you feel more comfortable. The more you do it, the easier it gets. It's easier for me now than it used to be, but my knees still shake when I sing solo occasionally. Good luck! :)

Sylvie
11-23-2006, 02:40 AM
I have no idea. Just... get used to it? I don't know. Start small, work your way up. If you wanna sing in a band, you have to get used to singing in front of people. Kinda comes with the territory.

I guess... just sing for you. Sing because you rock at it and you feel awesome when you're doing it. Don't worry about performing for others, just rock out.

Or picture everyone naked?

*snip*

This was uncalled for Genji. Know what is not appropriate to post. ~ Zeromus

Duncan
11-23-2006, 02:49 AM
Please don't think I'm being rude when I ask this because I'm not trying to be, but in your post you said that you're a good singer, yet at the same time you say you are afraid to sing in front of them. So I must ask, who says you are a good singer? Have you sung in front of others? What experience do you have?

Again, I'm not trying to be rude but I would like to know the answers in order to better assist. For the record, I have been singing for 20 years now, solo, choirs, quartets, stage, etc. So I do have a bit of experience in this area. Course now that I'm married with kids I'm pretty much limited to the occasional solo at church now. :rolleyes2

Faris
11-23-2006, 02:50 AM
Whenever I preformed alone for a Coffee House at school, I always take a breath, and start. It helps a lot once you get into it. Also, practise the song until you know it forever by heart.

A great thing about stages with lights: You can only see so many rows rather than the real amount that's there ^_^

TidusMaster
11-23-2006, 03:10 AM
Please don't think I'm being rude when I ask this because I'm not trying to be, but in your post you said that you're a good singer, yet at the same time you say you are afraid to sing in front of them. So I must ask, who says you are a good singer? Have you sung in front of others? What experience do you have?

Again, I'm not trying to be rude but I would like to know the answers in order to better assist. For the record, I have been singing for 20 years now, solo, choirs, quartets, stage, etc. So I do have a bit of experience in this area. Course now that I'm married with kids I'm pretty much limited to the occasional solo at church now. :rolleyes2

cool. well, i guess im gonna pm you for additional help, but anyways....I have sung for my freind Alex 2 times and Kiwi once. and they said i was good

Evastio
11-23-2006, 03:12 AM
You could try closing your eyes while you're singing. I usually see most professional singers doing that.

thebandmate
11-23-2006, 03:28 AM
I say that you can sing in front of anyone if you believe in yourself and forget what other people might think. Just have fun man!

Diango12
11-23-2006, 04:09 AM
You should have no excuse to quit now! You've come this far, if you
swallow your guts and ignore the hesitation for the first moments you'll get over it

Riana
11-23-2006, 08:16 AM
Don't give anyone eye contact, that's usually the key. Or the classic, "picture everyone in their underwear". XD

Iceglow
11-23-2006, 10:11 AM
yeah the whole underwear thing works for me. I have done backing vocals (hard core screaming and singing) for bands before on stage, Just ignore the audience. Most of the time you'll be blinded by lights in any case.

Levian
11-23-2006, 12:49 PM
I don't know much about this field seeing as how I inflict physical pain when I sing, but if it's anything like reading out loud in front of an audience, then I'd say "Practice makes perfect!" Not much else you can do really. They think you're good so that should boost your confidence a bit.

Go get them, TidusMaster. You look smashing.

Christmas
11-23-2006, 12:52 PM
You need COURAGE!!!!! Maybe the wizard of Oz can spare you some. :bigsmile:

Or you can just imagine the audience doesn't exist and sing to your fill in the empty stage. :bigsmile:

sephirothishere
11-23-2006, 01:31 PM
well...i used to play with random bands jus doin gigs for some cash...so that was pretty harsh...but...im nto nervous...im soooooo cool....so..jus...dont be such a wuss...whats teh worse that can happen...

Bart's Friend Milhouse
11-23-2006, 05:24 PM
Man that name Final Crisis is so offensive

Drift
11-23-2006, 06:09 PM
get drunk then sing

daggertrepe
11-23-2006, 06:11 PM
hey man, just do it. I've been doing this thing for ever, and trust me, when you get on that stage, an adrenaline rush will take over adn you'll start rockin!

Alive-Cat
11-23-2006, 06:22 PM
You just need the right frame of mind. I find that with most things.
Also;
Change your band name to "Flying Seaman".